C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Another Near Miss ...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2002, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Another Near Miss ...

I dont know if I can take this any more. I had my second near miss this morning with my 3 week old C230K. This is really scary.

I DID CRANE MY NECK TO LOOK BACK AND CHECK.

There is just too big a blind spot in our C230K folks. I am thinking of the round thingy that stick to the side view mirrows for better "hind sight" I never used one before - never have the need.

Can some one please suggest a nice and FUNCTIONAL one?

Much Thanks

Peace
Old 08-29-2002, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 VW GTI
where in fairfax are you? i might see your car on the road some time.

as far as mirrors, there's been a lot of talk over the last few months about the european-style side mirror replacements. see this thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=10625
Old 08-29-2002, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Get the Euro mirrors! The best safety-related upgrade one can possibly make for the Coupe.
Old 08-29-2002, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i dunno...but my last car was a suv....and with that one...i always almost got into trouble..but with the coupe..everything is fine...no pro at all
Old 08-29-2002, 07:42 PM
Almost a Member!

Talking

Don't have the problem, always in front of everyone else!
Old 08-29-2002, 08:24 PM

I thought the blind spots in my car were bad too, until I adjusted my mirrors correctly.
Old 08-30-2002, 12:28 AM

It's Benzer again...

Session - I work in Chantilly. I take rt 66 every Rush hour against the traffic. Once awhile I saw a while C-Coupe with 4 black grimmy rims :P. Is that You???

Vadim - The Euro mirrows sounds good but hard for me to commit that much $$$ sight un-seen. Have you installed one? I would like to have a look see. We both in Fairfax

Xeon - You and me are oposite in view. I have no problem what-so-ever with my SUV ( the Montero) but plenty with the Coupe. This is funny

hPhan - I skinned this cat 100 ways and none seems to solve my "blindness". I tried any and all permutation I can think of involving the mirrow and the seating positions (

Yacoub - Yours is the only method I haven't tried. I guess I have to give it a shot now, huh )

OK - any one sticked one those thingy on his/her side mirrows? let me know how it work.

Thanks All

Peace
Old 08-30-2002, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Re: It's Benzer again...

Originally posted by Benzer
Vadim - The Euro mirrows sounds good but hard for me to commit that much $$$ sight un-seen. Have you installed one? I would like to have a look see. We both in Fairfax
Yes, of course I did install them. Took about half an hour - all in all, including figuring out how they can be safely removed, then installing the new ones, testing all modes of operation and finally cleaning them from fingerprints

They are worth every penny of their price. PM me for location and time, you're very welcome to take a closer look.
Old 08-30-2002, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get a performance pulley, the extra speed will keep you ahead of the pack. Seriously, learn to adjust the mirrors. Most people adjust the side mirrors so that they see part of their car. That's the wrong way, specially with the tiny mirrors we have you will have duplicate of what's in the inside mirror, a total waste. Set your inside mirror so that it's centered, then set the side mirrors so that when a car leaves the view of the inside mirror because it's too close on your side you pick it up on the outside mirror with minimal overlap. Your range of view will be immensly increased. If you have to turn your head to change lanes or merge on the freeway you are just an accident waiting to happen. A huge source of accidents is people turning their heads to either merge on the freeway or to make a right turn and don't pay attention to what's in front of them and when the guy in front of them stops you crash and it's 100% your fault no matter why the guy stopped. So don't turn your head more than about 30 degrees when dricing. Practice this, you'll see a huge improvement and no blind spots on any car.
Old 08-30-2002, 01:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 VW GTI

Session - I work in Chantilly. I take rt 66 every Rush hour against the traffic. Once awhile I saw a while C-Coupe with 4 black grimmy rims :P. Is that You???
mine are dirty but they aren't black.

i live in fair oaks on the corner of monument dr. and rt. 29... you'll usually see me driving around there. i take the parkway to work in reston and i take reston pkway -> west ox rd. home.
Old 08-30-2002, 01:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally posted by Buellwinkle
Set your inside mirror so that it's centered, then set the side mirrors so that when a car leaves the view of the inside mirror because it's too close on your side you pick it up on the outside mirror with minimal overlap. Your range of view will be immensly increased.
This would work for most cars, but still is not enough for the C Coupe - there still remain blind zones on both sides. Euro mirrors nicely complement this arrangement and totally eliminate the blind areas. Try it yourself, you won't regret.
Old 08-30-2002, 02:44 AM

2000 300m, 2003 C-Coupe
No problem to report on the bind spots. I drive 1 hour on the road round trip every day (37 miles) in rush hour traffic 80% is 2 lanes in both directions, 15% is 3 or more lanes each way. I am 6' tall and sit vertical to left or right and slightly/confortably tilted toward the rear of the car. With mirrors adjusted properly, I have a fine view of the road. The side mirrors are a little smaller than my other cars, which takes a little getting used to. I have nothing but love for my 2003.
Old 08-30-2002, 07:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
No blind spots here. As soon as a passing car is out of view of the inside mirror, it's 1/4 visable in the side mirror. It took a little more effort to get the mirrors just right, but they work fine. I adjusted them in a parking lot: backing up and moving forward next to a parked car and tweeking the mirrors until the spot was eliminated.
Old 08-30-2002, 10:54 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage

OK - any one sticked one those thingy on his/her side mirrows? let me know how it work.
Benzer, if you're tired of reading all the BS on how to adjust your mirrors, or how to spend hundreds replacing them, and just want a blind spot tack-on, my advice is to skip past the local K-Mart and visit a Brookstone Store. There you will find a small line of good quality, optically un-distorted blind spot mirrors made in Germany. They are not as cheap as K-Mart, but they are much better quality and therefore, much more useful. Here's their website...

http://www.brookstone.com/shop/thumb...y&prod_index=5

Last edited by MB-BOB; 08-30-2002 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-30-2002, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Re: Re: It's Benzer again...

Originally posted by MB-BOB

Benzer, if you're tired of reading all the BS on how to adjust your mirrors, or how to spend hundreds replacing them, and just want a blind spot tack-on, my advice is to skip past the local K-Mart and visit a Brookstone Store. There you will find a small line of good quality, optically un-distorted blind spot mirrors made in Germany. They are not as cheap as K-Mart, but they are much better quality and therefore, much more useful. Here's their website...

http://www.brookstone.com/shop/thumb...y&prod_index=5
How is this advice not BS compared to others?
Old 08-30-2002, 11:10 AM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Re: Re: Re: It's Benzer again...

Originally posted by vadim
How is this advice not BS compared to others?
Benzer asked TWICE for advice concerning adhesive blind spot mirrors. IMO, the other posts, while informative, were off-topic to his particular question.

The self-adhesive mirrors I refer to were probably made in the same factory (Germany) as the european blind spot mirrors in your posts. They are distortion-free from edge to edge, and are a viable alternative to the very expensive euro-mirrors that we Americans should probably have received as stock.

Benzer already said he was probably not willing to spend the hundreds necessary to replace mirrors...

Last edited by MB-BOB; 08-30-2002 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-30-2002, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Re: Re: Re: Re: It's Benzer again...

Benzer asked TWICE for advice concerning adhesive blind spot mirrors. IMO, the other posts, while informative, were off-topic to his particular question.

The self-adhesive mirrors I refer to were probably made in the same factory (Germany) as the european blind spot mirrors in your posts. They are distortion-free from edge to edge, and are a viable alternative to the very expensive euro-mirrors that we Americans should probably have received as stock.

Benzer already said he was probably not willing to spend the hundreds necessary to replace mirrors...
Right, because he wasn't aware of the solution that MB offers for the Coupe. Slamming things you have never seen or tried is like discussing sexual intercourse positions with a virgin (and quite unexpected from a moderator).

Slap-on convex spot mirrors are neither heated nor auto-dimming. They are universal - not tailored to this particular model. (Unlike these, the MB Euro mirrors, while also being convex, have variable curvature - their end areas "curve out" more than the rest.) I'm not even bringing up the aesthetic aspect.

Besides, $300 for a safety upgrade is not too much - you can easlily lose a lot more without them. I drive on the same roads as Benzer, as we live in the same area. The Euro mirrors are absolutely superb in rush hour stop-and-go traffic, especially if you need to quickly change lanes when your lane is standing still and the adjacent ones are flying by (happens all the time - don't know why ).

I absolutely agree that the Euro mirrors must be stock in the US, though.
Old 08-30-2002, 11:40 AM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: It's Benzer again...

Originally posted by vadim
Right, because he wasn't aware of the solution that MB offers for the Coupe. Slamming things you have never seen or tried is like discussing sexual intercourse positions with a virgin (and quite unexpected from a moderator).
Excuse me. You assume I haven't seen the euro-mirrors. I have. They are wonderful. They work. They are delivered in Europe as stock. They should be stock in America, but they aren't. Here they cost $350, installed (Duffer's thread). The tack-on mirror from Brookstone costs $7.50 (2% of your solution).

One can buy the Brookstone mirror as an experiment, and if they don't like it, they can throw it away with yesterday's pizza, and say, "well, my neighbor spends that much on a pack of cancer sticks, so who cares." If one wants to spend as much as they would for a new set of four tires to replace their mirrors, that's an option, too, but it no longer qualifies as a cheap experiment.

But, that's NOT what Benzer asked. He simply wanted to know about the stick-on mirrors. I wasn't impuning anyone's manhood be calling the other suggestions BS... just not a direct answer to his question. Let's not get our knickers in a knot over this.

Last edited by MB-BOB; 08-30-2002 at 11:47 AM.
Old 08-30-2002, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: It's Benzer again...

Let's not get our knickers in a knot over this.
whoa, what's w/ the apparel imagery? tommy wears an apron and you and vadim wears knickers?
Old 08-30-2002, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: It's Benzer again...

Originally posted by young

whoa, what's w/ the apparel imagery? tommy wears an apron and you and vadim wears knickers?
young, keep your shirt on. There is no need to be upset over knickers.
Old 08-30-2002, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: It's Benzer again...

Excuse me. You assume I haven't seen the euro-mirrors. I have. They are wonderful. They work. They are delivered in Europe as stock. They should be stock in America, but they aren't. Here they cost $350, installed (Duffer's thread). The tack-on mirror from Brookstone costs $7.50 (2% of your solution).
Or one could learn to use the mirrors they got more effectively in less time that it takes to smoke one of your cancer sticks or drive to Brookstone. If they are inept at setting mirrors try the hardware solution. And Vadim is right, putting a tacky tack on mirror doesn'y take advantage of the heated mirror and can be distracting in an autodimming mirror.
Old 08-30-2002, 02:48 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: It's Benzer again...

Benzer wrote on 08-30-2002 01:28 PM:
Hey Bob,

How do I delete this thread.... Or can you delete this thread for me.

I feel so sorry for having started this thread

It devideds the house for no good reason

Peace
Benzer, I don't feel that the comments on the thread are too divisive. Opinions vary on just about every subject here, so anything you (or I) post is subject to someone else's interpretation. So, you shouldn't feel sorry for starting the thread... you were just asking for advice, and you got quite a bit of it. As long as you found some tidbits helpful, that's all that counts. I inadvertently contributed to some of the rancor, so I apologize if it made you feel uneasy.

I can delete this if you want. However, if I do, it will be perceived that I did so because I didn't agree with comments by a couple posters. So, you can delete it if you want, because you are the owner of the thread. Just open up the thread, go to your original first) post, then click on the "Edit" button in the lower right corner. On the next screen look to the top for a section that has "Delete" Check that box, then click the "Delete Now" button to the right. Since you started the thread, you will delete the entire discussion.

I hope you don't mind my sharing your PM on this thread. However, if you choose to delete the thread, I wanted to be sure that everyone knew it was your choice.

And please don't feel shy about posting threads. This is a place to freely share ideas, opinions, etc. It's all good, and everyone's opinions are welcome, including yours.

Bob

Last edited by MB-BOB; 08-30-2002 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-30-2002, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
bwhahaha, benzer, you take it too seriously... don't worry about it.
Old 08-30-2002, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

yeah, how do you think Young got to over 2,300 posts!
Old 09-01-2002, 01:27 AM
Almost a Member!

C320
Thanks MB Bob for the link.

I have had the same problem with my 2001 C-320 but mine is due to the defect that the mirrors sometimes do not return properly after reversing. Only solution will happen when some one is KILLED and MB gets "spanked" with a lawsuit!