C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C-240 Aftermarket Stereo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2002, 12:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M
C-240 Aftermarket Stereo

Hey guys,
I have some questions about an aftermarket stereo. I'm getting a C-240 without a changer, and without premium speakers, probably. So, how is the sound quality? How can I get the best sound quality? Is there any headunit I can replace the OEM one with that will let me use my steeing wheel controls? Can I put Comand in aftermarket? What is the best changer to use? Alright, if you guys could help, it would be great. Thanks a ton!
Old 08-30-2002, 12:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The C240 standard radio sounds OK, not much bass but it's clean. If you want real bass and an indash CD that will work with the dash display and steering wheel controls get the MB Audio 10 CD. It's made by Becker instead of Alpine and sounds much better. It will also work with the MB changer if you get it later.
Old 08-30-2002, 08:03 AM

M
So without changing any speakers you can get better sound quality from just a head unit? Would it be worth getting some OEM Bose speakers put in like the premium package? What about non OEM speakers/amp/woofer? Any ideas. Thanks, lemme know, doods. THanks Bullewinkel
Old 08-30-2002, 08:52 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
If you just won the lotto, you can retrofit comand; otherwise, it's too damn expensive. It'd be much cheaper to go aftermarket with a PalmPilot-type based mapping system; Columbus has a really nice setup in his ccoupe.

Why go with Bose, if you're switching speakers? OEM will cost more than aftermarket, and be crap. If I were you, I'd go to a local hi-end shop, and take a look at their pics, and talk to them. I got a quote of roughly $2500 to replace all speakers/add sub & amps. They've done a bunch of systems there (including some NY Giants' cars [no comments; I know they suck azz]), and said that as long as you fix everything else, a new headunit isn't necessary. That's the route that I'll probably go (and then swap out the h/u later if I'm still unhappy).

If you like to listen to music much, you'll probably be pretty unhappy with the stereo.

Right now, I don't think that there is a system on the market that works between MB's sw controls and aftermarket h/us. If you want something similar, you can get a Blau h/u and install their thummer remote control into the inside rim of the steering wheel.
Old 08-30-2002, 08:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200K (w204)
You can now fit a blaupunkt "San faransisco " model, it will work with the steering wheel buttons. It has a special interface that can be connected to your buttons. Cost in Australia is $1300 so maybe around 650 and plus $80 for the interface. Don't take my word though go and visit your nearest audio store and asked them about it.
Old 08-30-2002, 11:22 AM

c240
iono i got my cd changer for free
my dealer through it in for buying my 240
Old 08-30-2002, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blaupunkt San Francisco

A few on-line prices

Last edited by Lynn; 08-30-2002 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-30-2002, 02:15 PM
taylor192

Originally posted by Lynn
Blaupunkt San Francisco

A few on-line prices
Am I not reading something correctly? where does it say that an external control can be fitted to enable steering wheel controls?

Plus no MP3 support!
Old 08-30-2002, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Doesn't say anywhere that it interfaces with the DB2 fiber optic loop and it's a very busy radio with tiny controls. Don't think I would want that radio in my car at any price, specially since it doesn't do anything special like MP3.
Old 08-30-2002, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know if the San Francisco does use the steering wheel controls. I just posted links to the unit W0n6_3d4n suggested. I do know that the MB headunit is connected to the steering wheel controls via copper wires using the CANBUS, and not the D2B fiber optic network.
Old 08-30-2002, 10:58 PM

2002 C240 Classic - Orion Blue Beast!!
Re: C-240 Aftermarket Stereo

Originally posted by c class 279
Hey guys,
I have some questions about an aftermarket stereo. I'm getting a C-240 without a changer, and without premium speakers, probably. So, how is the sound quality? How can I get the best sound quality? Is there any headunit I can replace the OEM one with that will let me use my steeing wheel controls? Can I put Comand in aftermarket? What is the best changer to use? Alright, if you guys could help, it would be great. Thanks a ton!
Starting in the 2002 model year MB added an 8 inch sub in the rear shelf to all standard systems in c240's. In 2001, no woofer was included. I'll have to disagree with buellwinkle, I think for a totally stock system, the base is excellent, even with the windows rolled down. The sound is clean, and the bass is crisp. You can't ask for much more from a stock stereo. And is it really worth it to rip your interior apart to put in a new system?

The MB system is fine if your sitting in the car. Now if you're 18 and you want to wake up the neighborhood when you're coming home from a club at 5am, then I would suggest going aftermarket. But in all seriousness, the stock stereo is good enough for most people, even me. And ALL I do is listen to music. If the stereo really sucked I'd tell you straight up.

Try and get your dealer to cut you a deal on the 6 disc changer, and you'll be set.
Old 08-31-2002, 03:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200K (w204)
If you expect more from your in-car Hi-FI system and your new car is already equipped with a steering-wheel mounted remote control unit, Blaupunkt have come up with a solution. Since nobody likes obsolete buttons that perform no functions, it is possible to operate many Blaupunkt car radios - with an added interface and vehicle-specific adaptor cable - with all of the options of your steering-wheel remote control

http://www.bosch.com.au/productcatal...ccessories.htm

That's the link to blaupunkt Australia.