C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

LEMON?!....Already?????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C230 Sport Black/Black, if all else fails-- Soon-to-be proud owner of the BMW e92 yay
Unhappy LEMON?!....Already?????

Hey Guys,

I'm a newbie to MBWorld.org and i would LOVE it if someone could answer a few of my questions...

I leased a brand new 2006 C230 in December and ever since the 1st service inspection (at about 3200 miles) i've had this ANNOYING problem:

I know im not goin crazy, but my car KICKS when switching gears from first to second. I feel like my car's gonna break! Four service techs and advisors have test-driven the car with me and felt the problem, but they can't seem to fix it. As the service tech told me, i've tried switching from S mode to C.... SAME PROBLEM! Then they said try the kick switch...and YEP.. STILL THERE! This one tech told me i have to wait until the car reaches 17,000 miles for it to adjust itself (thats about 8000 miles from now)

I've had 2 software updates, "loose" snap rings replaced, and now my baby is in the shop again I'm surprised they haven't changed the tranny yet. Today is the 6th visit back (i have a whole list of problems, but thats a whole 'nother thread)...

I LOVE my car, but it seems like i might have a lemon in my hands...anyone else have that problem?? what did u try?

do u think i should give it another chance or should i go for the BMW e92 instead??

Last edited by FastChiq; 09-08-2006 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One with 4 wheels
Originally Posted by FastChiq
Hey Guys,

I'm a newbie to MBWorld.org and i would LOVE it if someone could answer a few of my questions...

I know im not goin crazy, but my car KICKS when switching gears from first to second. I feel like my car's gonna break! As the service guy told me, i've tried switching from S mode to C.... SAME PROBLEM! Then they said try the kick switch...and YEP.. STILL THERE! I've gotten 2 software updates, "loose" snap rings replaced, and now my baby is in the shop again I'm surprised they haven't changed the tranny yet. Today is the 6th visit back (i have a whole list of problems, but thats a whole 'nother thread)...

I LOVE my car, but it seems like i might have a lemon in my hands...anyone else have that problem?? what did u try?

do u think i should give it another chance or should i go for the BMW e92 instead??
It sounds to me you've already made your decision, and answered your own question, seeing how you're a "Soon to be proud owner of an E92"
Old 09-08-2006, 08:36 PM

2006 C230 Sport Black/Black, if all else fails-- Soon-to-be proud owner of the BMW e92 yay
Originally Posted by TA-9FF
It sounds to me you've already made your decision, and answered your own question, seeing how you're a "Soon to be proud owner of an E92"
Thats only IF they can't fix it...
Old 09-08-2006, 08:46 PM

C230K '05 Next Car Will Be a 335i
Welcome to Mbworld sorry to hear your problem with your car. But if the car is giving that many problems it probably is a lemon.. The e92 is a totally diffrent class of a car a Clk would be a close match but Bmw will out perform a MB any day of the week on the twisties.

Goodluck to you.

P..S I see you are from HB, do you know Gio?
Old 09-08-2006, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Another satisfied 7 speed slushie customer.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:11 PM

R350
Our new 2006 c230 7-sp auto is doing just fine, and the shift is smoother than my then-state-of-the-art 5-sp auto 97 Audi A4.

I have to wonder if you are simply stepping on the accelerator a little to hard? Before purchasing the c230, my wife test drove the A3 and IS250 and complained of something similiar to what you described. I felt no such thing in those cars, but then again, I am very careful on not stepping too much on the gas and automatic transmissions always adapted well to my driving style.

But if everyone who drives your car feels like there is a problem, I would say return the car as a lemon. If the dealership give you problems, escalate to MBUSA or report the problem to the local chamber of commerce or the BBB.

Good luck!
Old 09-09-2006, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by DukeBoy27
I have to wonder if you are simply stepping on the accelerator a little to hard? Before purchasing the c230, my wife test drove the A3 and IS250 and complained of something similiar to what you described. I felt no such thing in those cars, but then again, I am very careful on not stepping too much on the gas and automatic transmissions always adapted well to my driving style.

I'm not ur typical girly-girl driver though Guys jaws drop when they finally catch up to me on the fwy and see the long hair and realize im a girl.

It kinda feels like this:

Imagine walking ur dog on leash and he spots a squirrel 3 feet away. Ur doggy runs like hell until..."YIPPPEEE!!!" the leash catches up and yanks doggy back... thats the kinda kick i feel. and it only happens from first to second.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Honda Grom
Our cars are slow.... I don't think all the men on the hwy catch up to you and think what a demon on wheels you are. In any case.... on some occasions I have felt this on my m271........ but only when I slam on the accelerator on a hot day. Perhaps you are expecting too much out of your car... good luck with your current/next car.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:55 PM

LAAAAA- LAAA- LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA- LA- LAAAA -LAAAAAAAA LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA... Have you heard that sound from your car lately?
Old 09-12-2006, 12:33 PM

06 C230
haven't had any problems with my car at all since i bought it.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2002 C230K, 2013 BMW 328, 2015 BMW X5
Originally Posted by TA-9FF

I thought the same thing. You are proclaiming that you have made up your mind, so why ask us?

You may have the run on some M271 engines, but wait till you get mauled by an M111. I'm in HB sometimes. I'd love to outrun you.

Seriously, try a new dealership. If it snaps like you say, that is grossly impaired. Are they going to fault you when the tranny has a failure? If another dealer won't help, go to MBUSA. This is a low mileage car, and it shouldn't be having this issue. You may want to seek out GlassJaw on this board. Hes an MB Tech at MB Beverly Hills. He may know more.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:16 PM

Black 04 C230 Kompressor SS
Originally Posted by DukeBoy27
Our new 2006 c230 7-sp auto is doing just fine, and the shift is smoother than my then-state-of-the-art 5-sp auto 97 Audi A4.

But if everyone who drives your car feels like there is a problem, I would say return the car as a lemon. If the dealership give you problems, escalate to MBUSA or report the problem to the local chamber of commerce or the BBB.

Good luck!
You can step on the gas any which way but loose and you should not have the problems she described. The car is a lemon. Just keep the loaner!
Old 09-12-2006, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by emrliquidlife
I thought the same thing. You are proclaiming that you have made up your mind, so why ask us?

You may have the run on some M271 engines, but wait till you get mauled by an M111. I'm in HB sometimes. I'd love to outrun you.
A pullied M111 Coupe is a beautiful thing. Not like you'd need it to outrun the V6 C230's though...they are almost C240 like in there inability to move off the line. Why they didn't just use the C240 name for the 2.5L V6, I don't know.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:09 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Not a lot of good answers IMHO. Personally, I think if they have not tried to replace the tranny yet, this should be the next step. Not sure how some people can claim the car is a "lemon" when they haven't even attempted to replace the transmission.

I would suggest you take it back to the dealer and speak to the SA about your problem. Remind them that this is the ___ time you've brought the car in for the same problem, and they have not been able to fix it. Then suggest that it's time to replace the transmission. If they do not agree, do not let them try anything else. Now is the time to get tough and say that you would rather, at this point, contact MBUSA and perhaps a lawyer about the issue because you are not satisfied. I can't imagine MBUSA not agreeing to change the transmission after this many attempts at fixing the problem.

What you DON'T want to do is storm in to the SA, act disrespectful, and start demanding stuff. This will automatically put them on the defense, and they will NOT want to help you solve your problem. Trust me, it will be much better to solve the problem with their help than without.

That's my $.02. Good luck to you.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lemon law requires four attempts (or 30 overnight days in the shop) to fix the same problem in 18 months so that's all that I would give them and then it's lawyer time. The problem sounds more like a bad motor mount than a tranny. When you accellerate hard and it shifts, the motor rocks and with bad motor mounts it could cause a jerk feeling when shifting. Try MB of LN instead (you probably go to Fletcher and they are so busy that they don't have time to deal with car issues, they just want to sell more, BTW, saw the Governator there on Sat while my kid's car was getting washed).

Anybody that drives an auto trans is a girly girl like my 2 daughters...
Old 09-15-2006, 03:07 PM

***UPDATE!!!***

Remember i had my car in the shop when i first posted? Ok, i got it back on the 12th only to find that they had not fixed the kicking problem. I figured oh, what the hell, i'll suck it up until i contact a lawyer. The next morning i woke up to find FLUIDS on my driveway!!!

Decided to put white paper on cardboard to get some of the color on there and see how much was leaking. Took it back to the dealer on the 14th! (i think its finally the 30th day). They said it would take half an hour to fix (no loaners available) so i agreed to wait....until the tech called the advisor back and said the problem was worse than they thought. For some reason, they didn't tell me what it was... Two minutes later, i was given the keys to the loaner that im driving around in right now. HMMMMM.....
Old 09-15-2006, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Buellwinkle
a good driver drives manual...a great driver drives an auto REALLY well...

I'll race u old man....hahahaha....
Old 09-15-2006, 03:50 PM

Bullywinkle OUCH THATS GOTTA HURT............................ :
Old 09-15-2006, 07:46 PM

p.s. considering all the things people put loaner cars through, it drove SOOO much better than my car...hmmm..

...maybe the transmission fluid leak had something to do with it?
Old 09-16-2006, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2002 C230K, 2013 BMW 328, 2015 BMW X5
Doh, the new girl is calling out the infamous and much revered Buellwinkle.....

Ohhh snap back to reality...

E
Old 09-16-2006, 05:15 PM

C 230K Coupé
a good driver drives manual...a great driver drives an auto REALLY well...

I'll race u old man....hahahaha....
Haha racing in an automatic, that's fun. Lets see, hold brake down, stomp the gas, let go of the brake and wait. That's a lot of fun.

I got 50 bucks on Buellwinkle.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BANNED
Originally Posted by Buellwinkle
Old 09-17-2006, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
Before you look down your nose, with the Europeans, at automatic transmissions, I'd invite your attention to the latest Porsche cars turning in faster and faster lap times at Willow Springs with an automatic transmission built by Allison, a division of GM. Makes you wanna go, Hmmmmmmm.

Danica Patrick has done well racing with an automatic. Now if she could not stomp her feet like a little girl when she looses....................
Old 09-17-2006, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by Moviela
Before you look down your nose, with the Europeans, at automatic transmissions, I'd invite your attention to the latest Porsche cars turning in faster and faster lap times at Willow Springs with an automatic transmission built by Allison, a division of GM. Makes you wanna go, Hmmmmmmm.

Danica Patrick has done well racing with an automatic. Now if she could not stomp her feet like a little girl when she looses....................
Really don't care. Automatics suck. I will always prefer the feel of rowing my own gears, no matter how much less sucky they make them in the future. They use far less fuel in the real world, almost never break down, and 99% of the time are far quicker than the automatic.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:27 PM

C 230K Coupé
It's not an automatic in the Porsche cars. I believe it's similar to the Bmw SMG and the VW DSG which both have clutches.
I'm now driving a 325i with a slushbox... not much fun .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: LEMON?!....Already?????