C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Slipping WeatherTech Floor Mats!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2001, 09:21 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Unhappy Slipping WeatherTech Floor Mats!!!

OK, wizkids, let's put on our thinking caps. Those WeatherTech mats sure are nice, but they don't hold in place like the MB carpeted mats. I removed the OEM mats before installing the WeatherTechs, which sit directly on the carpeting.

The driver's mat pushes forward with use, and I am not happy about this. For what these cost compared to alternatives, these puppies should arrive with a 6" tall, blue Elf (X-mas theme) to sit on the floor between your knees to hold the mats in place.

So, what to do? Any suggestions are welcome.
Old 12-21-2001, 09:27 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Unhappy

MB-BOB, what are you doing to those poor mats? I've had mine in for about 2 weeks now, and they don't move at all.

I guess you could add a strip of velcro on the side pointing to the rear? That would help. These things are heavy, though. I'm really surprised that you're having any trouble.

Sidenote: I got my Renntech spoiler yesterday. All I have to do is find a shop that'll do the work for me. The instructions had pics of one on a silver (REAL silver, not "desert tan", I mean "desert silver" ), and it looked great in a non-black car, which was one of my concerns. Wait until it's painted in Orion - it'll be beautiful!
Old 12-21-2001, 09:52 AM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
tommy, I'm thinking that the extra 23hp in my C320 is responsible for some G-Force loading on those mats!

I'm wondering if there'll be less motion if I put the original mats back in then the WT's over them? I don't really want to do this, because with the WT's in place, the toes of my size 12's rub against the lower dash panel above the accelerator pedal. Adding the thickness of the stock carpeted mats will make that situation worse. I will think about the velcro, though. Or some way of tethering the mats to those funny plastic knobs on the carpeted floor?

Gee, that spoiler arrived pretty fast! Since you're having probs getting past the snobby troll at the MB bodyshop, maybe you should just slap it on with the adhesive and doctor it up with a touch up stick. Could take a while, though?

Want me to send you my Desert Silver touch-up kit?
Old 12-21-2001, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
MB-BOB, like Tommy, I haven't had a problem with mine sliding -- I know that can be annoying. I wonder if yours are the same shape? My driver's side mat fits up against where the dead pedal would be, with a similar shoulder near the accelerator. Then a "tongue" (for lack of a better word) of the mat proceeds forward beyond the accelerator and dead pedal area. It seems like that shoulder on the left side would help stabilize it. Also, while there aren't "spikes" on the back of the mat, there are a lot of wide ridges (if I remember - I'm not looking at them now). If I lift the mat up, it has left indentations in the carpet where the ridges are. Actually, my wife's mats in her car always crept forward before I installed WT's in her car also. I hope you find a solution!
Old 12-21-2001, 10:31 AM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
MarkL, the mat "bunches" at those shoulders, as they ride forward... They stop there, but the distorted look I'm sure will "take a set" as the mats age.

While I'm ragging, I also wish the "tongue" you describe was longer, extending further up the foot well. I am now in the habit of placing my left foot on the floor mat, instead of on the carpeting where that dead-pedal should be. The problem is that the front third of my foot rests above the WT tongue. The only thing keeping my foot from touching the OEM carpeting is the depth of the WT mat. The tongue on my mat stops half way up the foot well. How about yours?

Otherwise the front mats fit very well, so I'm pretty sure they sent me the right set. But I'm starting to wonder...

Last edited by MB-BOB; 12-21-2001 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-21-2001, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
Go to Home Depot or Lowe's and pick up some sticky backed velcro patches or strips. Place the loop side(not the fuzzy part) of that on the bottom pf the mats, and press firmly against the carpet. That should do the trick.
Old 12-21-2001, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Clue: Foot position and auto vs. manual trans

After reading your last post, I thought of something. Also, I went out to take a look (I'm taking a vacation day today ). I've got a 6-spd, and I'm sure Tommy does too, right? So, our left foot cannot rest where yours does due to the clutch. Maybe that's why we don't have the problem. Your left foot resting on the mat is probably causing it to ride forward. The tongue on my mat is like yours, it only goes about half way up the wheel well. Again, due to the clutch, I wouldn't want the mat to prohibit the clutch from pushing all the way to the floor. This actually happened in my former Passat, and I had to trim away part of the may which would have been under the clutch pedal.

Here's an idea. I think I mentioned how I had taken a couple of scraps from the rear mats and placed them partway under the front mat to cover the dead pedal area. It's not perfect, and I keep meaning to tack the two pieces down somehow (velcro?) You had said you might cut a small piece from a "cheap" mat you had seen. Then, you wouldn't worry about the carpet there and you might be able to rest your left foot there also.

Trending Topics

Old 12-21-2001, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Originally posted by Rick
Go to Home Depot or Lowe's and pick up some sticky backed velcro patches or strips. Place the loop side(not the fuzzy part) of that on the bottom pf the mats, and press firmly against the carpet. That should do the trick.
Rick good idea. That's what I'm going to do with my dead pedal "strips" (see post above). Thanks.
Old 12-21-2001, 11:55 AM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
MarkL, I think you're on to something. You guys with the 6-spd have to use the dead pedal area to rest your left foot, because the area to the right I use is occupied with the clutch pedal. Since there's no WT mat in the dead pedal area, you can't push the mat forward.

And all this time I thought my Left foot could get some rest after 21 years of shifting gears, only to find out he's been busy after all, pushing on that mat. Shame on you, Lefty!

Good advice, also, Rick. Thanks guys.
Old 12-21-2001, 12:06 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Exclamation

MB-BOB, you're right. I think MarkL might have stumbled onto the truth.

I actually think that the hidden reason for this whole post was for MB-BOB to brag about his size 12 feet.

Oh, I also got my 16" steelies put on yesterday, so I'm set for winter, if it comes to Jersey. The car looks pretty good with the black rims. If I ever decide to get different rims, powdercoated black may be on the short list.
Old 12-21-2001, 12:14 PM

Wink Post count enhancer - please ignore

Originally posted by MB-BOB
The driver's mat pushes forward with use, and I am not happy about this. For what these cost compared to alternatives, these puppies should arrive with a 6" tall, blue Elf (X-mas theme) to sit on the floor between your knees to hold the mats in place.
I think that the elf solution (why exactly is blue a christmas color? red & green maybe, but blue? I don't think so) would be more dangerous. Face it, the elf would probably fall asleep on the job, get caught under your brake pedal and cause an accident. Imagine explaining that to a cop.
Old 12-21-2001, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
wait....the elf works for TeleAid?

Merry Christmas to all...and Happy Holidays to the rest of ya!