C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe
View Poll Results: exhaust for sound,looks & finish
remus
20.00%
supersprint
80.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

W203/CL203 Aftermarket Exhaust Thread - All you want to know

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 4.94 average.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 C230 Sport Sedan
Remus makes a great exhaust, but they are not the same as Brabus. Remus has a louder tone which is not for my ears. I already put new tips on my Brabus exhaust today. The new tips look awesome! I put tips with a 15 degree slant. The muffler shop made it look nice and flush just like the OEM tips. I am not looking to get more performance out of my car. Everything I'm doing to my car is for my own personal taste. If I wanted performance, I would purchase a C63 or an Audi RS4 (still can't decide). I really love the look of the W203, it's classy and simple. I'm just having fun with the car right now. Actually, I'm passing the car on to my son next year.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
R129, XF Sportbrake, SC400
Originally Posted by DarthR8er
Remus makes a great exhaust, but they are not the same as Brabus. Remus has a louder tone which is not for my ears. I already put new tips on my Brabus exhaust today. The new tips look awesome! I put tips with a 15 degree slant. The muffler shop made it look nice and flush just like the OEM tips. I am not looking to get more performance out of my car. Everything I'm doing to my car is for my own personal taste. If I wanted performance, I would purchase a C63 or an Audi RS4 (still can't decide). I really love the look of the W203, it's classy and simple. I'm just having fun with the car right now. Actually, I'm passing the car on to my son next year.
I think he's talking about the fact that they come from the same manufacturer. i.e. Remus makes Brabus exhausts. Pretty sure the Remus sponsor guy agreed.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:57 PM

2007 C230 Sport Sedan
The reason I purchased a Brabus exhaust system, is because that's the closest thing to OEM I could find. AMG does not make a cat-back exhaust system for my car. I'm a big fan of OEM products. I never been a fan of aftermarket products. Aftermarket products make a vehicle look cheap and cheesy. I know OEM parts cost more, but they are made "specifically" for your vehicle. There is a lot of aftermarket companies that make great products and sometimes even better than OEM, but its the little things that they do that turn me off.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:05 PM

05.C230K.SS
Originally Posted by Mu9enx
you watched the youtube video? LOL
wait Mu9enx, what's wrong with that setup? Is there a better setup? i mean, the ones on there arent specially 05 c230K ss...

Last edited by rocafel1a; 09-08-2008 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'04 C230K SS
The reason I purchased a Brabus exhaust system, is because that's the closest thing to OEM I could find. AMG does not make a cat-back exhaust system for my car. I'm a big fan of OEM products. I never been a fan of aftermarket products. Aftermarket products make a vehicle look cheap and cheesy. I know OEM parts cost more, but they are made "specifically" for your vehicle. There is a lot of aftermarket companies that make great products and sometimes even better than OEM, but its the little things that they do that turn me off.

So you're telling me that the cars here look cheap or cheesy? I think you should look at the pictures of some (most I would say) of the cars here and MAYBE you will have a change of thoughts. Mercedes Benz are NOT cheap cars and MOST of the aftermarket parts that will fit ARE as good or better than OEM. You should look very closely at the quality of parts so you understand what customizing a Benz is all about! Can I buy me a Porshe 911 today...probably! Are we talking about what we could have for performance...NOPE!

I'm happy you like your ride stock and common...like the rest of them. I personally like to add a touch to mine. To each their own...
Old 09-08-2008, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
If you want to believe that the Remus exhaust is louder than Brabus, that's fine. I beg to differ. I've heard and compared both on so many different engines and accross the board it's the same...Deep tone on wide open throttle, extremely quiet at idle.

And you're wrong about Brabus and Remus being different. Brabus contracts out A LOT of their products. Calipers are made by Brembo. Mufflers are made by Remus!

Let's take even the AMG CLK DTM RIMS!...AMG doesn't make them, OZ DOES! When I first purchased my Benz, I was going to go straight for Aftermarket Tuning companies that were specified for Benz. I learned VERY quickly that a lot of those Tuners outsource their work and mark up the value with their "name" (e.g. AMG, BRABUS, CARLSSON).

Did you know the Carlsson RS fully adjustable coilovers are the IDENTICAL suspension as the Bilstein PSS9's? You know what the differences are? Carlsson's are 3X's more expensive and have a different color. Ask Carlsson who makes the shocks and they'll tell you...Bilstein!...hahahaha.

BTW...You do realize that Brabus and Carlsson ARE Aftermarket, don't you? They're Aftermarket tuners that make products specific to Mercedes Benz, but they're certainly NOT OEM.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:33 PM

2007 C230 Sport Sedan
Like I said earlier, aftermarket products are good and sometimes better than OEM, but I prefer OEM parts just the same way someone prefers aftermarket. All the products we purchase come down to what we like or prefer on our vehicles. I have aftermarket products on my car, but its due to not having a choice. Its all about your personal taste. I hope you guys don't think I'm hating on certain cars, cuz my car looks like a piece of crap to a lot of people (including my brother). No disrespect intended....
Old 09-09-2008, 12:16 AM

05.C230K.SS
quick question...does "uninstalling the Eisenmann Resonator" mean "installing an Eisenmann straight pipe"?

I was looking through the whole thread, and czander475 had an 05 C230K SS with Eisenmann Race Exhaust and he absolutely abhored it cuz it was way way to loud...then c230 o5 said that with the Eisenmann Race Exhaust, and then getting an Eisenmann straight pipe would make the inline 4 sound less rice rocket and more deep throaty??? anyone confirm this before I make my final decision?
Old 09-09-2008, 01:31 AM

05.C230K.SS
WHat's wrong with installing Eisenmann racing Exhaust 2x83mm + Eisenmann straight pipe on the 05 C230K SS? i mean, from this clip it sounds good already...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtxMiIoUOWk
Old 09-09-2008, 04:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
01' C32o
Originally Posted by rocafel1a
wait Mu9enx, what's wrong with that setup? Is there a better setup? i mean, the ones on there arent specially 05 c230K ss...
oh, i don't know; i thought you watched that video of the c230 with the eisenmann race and no resonator. damn that car sounded goood
Old 09-09-2008, 08:48 AM
Banned

na
Originally Posted by drexappeal
If you want to believe that the Remus exhaust is louder than Brabus, that's fine. I beg to differ. I've heard and compared both on so many different engines and accross the board it's the same...Deep tone on wide open throttle, extremely quiet at idle.

And you're wrong about Brabus and Remus being different. Brabus contracts out A LOT of their products. Calipers are made by Brembo. Mufflers are made by Remus!

Let's take even the AMG CLK DTM RIMS!...AMG doesn't make them, OZ DOES! When I first purchased my Benz, I was going to go straight for Aftermarket Tuning companies that were specified for Benz. I learned VERY quickly that a lot of those Tuners outsource their work and mark up the value with their "name" (e.g. AMG, BRABUS, CARLSSON).

Did you know the Carlsson RS fully adjustable coilovers are the IDENTICAL suspension as the Bilstein PSS9's? You know what the differences are? Carlsson's are 3X's more expensive and have a different color. Ask Carlsson who makes the shocks and they'll tell you...Bilstein!...hahahaha.

BTW...You do realize that Brabus and Carlsson ARE Aftermarket, don't you? They're Aftermarket tuners that make products specific to Mercedes Benz, but they're certainly NOT OEM.

Agreed. The Brabus systems are usually a tad more prone to drone since most of their tip designs (produced by REMUS) are straight cut and don't have any sound deading material inside the tips.

Both of them are qualified as sport exhausts and are TUV approved, however there are small differences.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by REMUS
Agreed. The Brabus systems are usually a tad more prone to drone since most of their tip designs (produced by REMUS) are straight cut and don't have any sound deading material inside the tips.

Both of them are qualified as sport exhausts and are TUV approved, however there are small differences.
Okay...there's confirmation from one of our sponsors.

Anybody else want to question my research that I've done over the past 5 years?
Old 09-09-2008, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

quick question...does "uninstalling the Eisenmann Resonator" mean "installing an Eisenmann straight pipe"?

I was looking through the whole thread, and czander475 had an 05 C230K SS with Eisenmann Race Exhaust and he absolutely abhored it cuz it was way way to loud...then c230 o5 said that with the Eisenmann Race Exhaust, and then getting an Eisenmann straight pipe would make the inline 4 sound less rice rocket and more deep throaty??? anyone confirm this before I make my final decision?

In essence, yes. "uninstalling" the Eisenmann resonator would mean that you'd replace it with a straight pipe. Some people prefer buying the Eisenmann striaght pipe, others prefer just going to a good muffler shop and having a striaght pipe installed. As long as the diameter of the piping is measured accurately, you don't really need to buy the Eisenmann straight pipe.

That being said, Eisenmann exhaust is one of the mufflers that has designs specified for the C Class (i.e. non-universal) that I actually don't like. I feel like the Eisenmann has a tendancy to get VERY rhaspy and nazel sounding, rather than deep (especially on C230K's). Not to mention that they're one of the Loudest mufflers available (if not the loudest). That's strictly the Eisenmann race. The Eisenmann Sport/Race actually sounded very good before (they had one that was in between the race and the sport). That was the only one I liked and Mig888 used to have it on his car (until he got the Kleemann at the same time as me).
Old 09-09-2008, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

WHat's wrong with installing Eisenmann racing Exhaust 2x83mm + Eisenmann straight pipe on the 05 C230K SS? i mean, from this clip it sounds good already...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtxMiIoUOWk
Nothing wrong with it, but...the 2005 230K SS has a secondary cat and no resonator and there have been some people that have experienced issues with removing the secondary cat and replacing it with a straight pipe.

That clip shows me, personally, what I didn't like about the Eisenmann race. At higher RPM's it sounds higher pitched and more "tinny" than other mufflers available. My exhaust sounds a lot deeper than that, but it's actually relatively quiet and cruising speeds...and I have a resonator delete.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:08 PM

MK IV .:R32
some people that have experienced issues with removing the secondary cat and replacing it with a straight pipe.
like loss of torque?
Old 09-09-2008, 04:58 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Okay...there's confirmation from one of our sponsors.

Anybody else want to question my research that I've done over the past 5 years?
that's soo not true.

MJ's remus has way more drone than Tai's brabus. both are 240 with resonator and both has the pulley kit.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:33 PM

2009 C300, 2009 B200
+1 on the Eisenmann Race

here's mine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP_TiiZiKnM

Almost all of the aftermarket muffler that you can buy are illegal...so just pick the one u like the most. The pigs will pull u over as long as your car is significantly louder than stock, at least that's how it's like in Vancouver.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:46 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by Onizuka
+1 on the Eisenmann Race

here's mine

Almost all of the aftermarket muffler that you can buy are illegal...so just pick the one u like the most. The pigs will pull u over as long as your car is significantly louder than stock, at least that's how it's like in Vancouver.
sounds

at the guy that commented in your vid.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:57 PM

05.C230K.SS
In essence, yes. "uninstalling" the Eisenmann resonator would mean that you'd replace it with a straight pipe. Some people prefer buying the Eisenmann striaght pipe, others prefer just going to a good muffler shop and having a striaght pipe installed. As long as the diameter of the piping is measured accurately, you don't really need to buy the Eisenmann straight pipe.

That being said, Eisenmann exhaust is one of the mufflers that has designs specified for the C Class (i.e. non-universal) that I actually don't like. I feel like the Eisenmann has a tendancy to get VERY rhaspy and nazel sounding, rather than deep (especially on C230K's). Not to mention that they're one of the Loudest mufflers available (if not the loudest). That's strictly the Eisenmann race. The Eisenmann Sport/Race actually sounded very good before (they had one that was in between the race and the sport). That was the only one I liked and Mig888 used to have it on his car (until he got the Kleemann at the same time as me).
Yo drexappeal...thanks for the opinion...and thank god i read through this thread or I've gone with the eisenmann race exhaust for a 4cyl 05 c230k ss. Now that i dont think ima get the eisdenmann race, drexappeal, do you have any other good recommendations on my 05 C230K ss? I like that deep more than the rhaspy sound and loud...but iono if i can achieve that on my 05 c230k. Do you know of any exhaust system close to it? I;m leaning towards a german exhaust company, so i think magnaflow is out. What about others...kleeman, remus, or other brands???

Last edited by rocafel1a; 09-09-2008 at 07:07 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:02 PM

05.C230K.SS
Originally Posted by Onizuka
+1 on the Eisenmann Race

here's mine

the sound is different for your V6 than my V4...
Old 09-09-2008, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Yo drexappeal...thanks for the opinion...and thank god i read through this thread or I've gone with the eisenmann race exhaust for a 4cyl 05 c230k ss. Now that i dont think ima get the eisdenmann race, drexappeal, do you have any other good recommendations on my 05 C230K ss? I like that deep more than the rhaspy sound and loud...but iono if i can achieve that on my 05 c230k. Do you know of any exhaust system close to it? I;m leaning towards a german exhaust company, so i think magnaflow is out. What about others...kleeman, remus, or other brands???
You want the tone to be deep And loud?...Well, Eisennmann has a Sport Exhaust that may be more up your alley. You also have the Remus or the Brabus. Really depends on what you want to spend and how loud.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by FrankW
that's soo not true.

MJ's remus has way more drone than Tai's brabus. both are 240 with resonator and both has the pulley kit.
Frank, MJ doesn't have the resonator on the 240 anymore, does he?

Either way, packing may be slightly different, which is understandable...
Old 09-09-2008, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

the sound is different for your V6 than my i4...
ummm..corrected your typo...
Old 09-09-2008, 09:25 PM

05.C230K.SS
You want the tone to be deep And loud?...Well, Eisennmann has a Sport Exhaust that may be more up your alley. You also have the Remus or the Brabus. Really depends on what you want to spend and how loud.
Yo drexappeal, I want it to be deep and throaty...in terms of loudness I don't want it to be too loud , compared with the Eisenmann Race Exhaust (even though I've never heard of it in person). Are there exhaust systems where at 10 to 30 thou rpm its already noticeably deep and loud? Ive searched through the threads...havent found anyone with the Eisenmann Sport Exhaust, since some say that getting the Sport is no different from the 05 C230K stock exhaust...

If I were to get Remus, whats the setup? And Brabus?
Are these the only two good reliable German exhausts?
In terms of money, Im probably fine with going around 1K...
thanks drexappeal!
Old 09-10-2008, 03:43 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Frank, MJ doesn't have the resonator on the 240 anymore, does he?

Either way, packing may be slightly different, which is understandable...
not anymore, but I mean previously.

I'm getting used to my 204's quiet exhaust btw except when WOT. wanna trade me your kleemann?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 4.94 average.

Quick Reply: W203/CL203 Aftermarket Exhaust Thread - All you want to know