C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Intake theory - V6 models 2001-2005

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
alryte heres the deal.

I took out ONE side of the plastic tubes. drove abt 3 miles to pick my gf up.

then on the way back, I put it back on. the car wasnt as "responsive" and LOUD.

then abt 6 blocks away from home. I removed BOTH of the plastic tubes. the car seemed LOUDER, the remus was like WHOOP! LOUD. and the engine gave it bit of a throatier growl.

ok heres the question. is it safe to NOT drive with those 2 tubes?
Old 09-22-2006, 06:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah... its perfectly safe to drive with the tubes off...

because the filters are after the tubes, it cant hurt anything. The only downfall is the hot air going in, which the engine bay is probably around 125 degrees (i am totally guessing) so it would be like driving around in Vegas or something.

Is there a part store where you can buy the crossfire filters and return them if you cant get them to fit between the block and radiator? ISNT the SRT supercharged? so wouldnt the filter inlets be larger?

Last edited by Justinius7; 09-22-2006 at 07:02 PM.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:00 PM

SO now after reading your trial runs...

I am wondering if becuase mbenz is "RAMMING" the air into the intake... when we jump on it we dont get that WHOOP sound becuase there is already ample amounts of air being "rammed" into the intake.

SO having the pipes removed, now the engine has to "SUCK" which gives that vaccuum "whoop" which ideally was what you were going for.

Do you think this is probably an accurate assumption? reason i ask, is cause i want the WHAP sound with out the heat. OR do you think the inlet scoops are too small which is deadening part of the sound.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 ///AMG, 535xi
Originally Posted by Justinius7
SO now after reading your trial runs...

I am wondering if becuase mbenz is "RAMMING" the air into the intake... when we jump on it we dont get that WHOOP sound becuase there is already ample amounts of air being "rammed" into the intake.

SO having the pipes removed, now the engine has to "SUCK" which gives that vaccuum "whoop" which ideally was what you were going for.

Do you think this is probably an accurate assumption? reason i ask, is cause i want the WHAP sound with out the heat. OR do you think the inlet scoops are too small which is deadening part of the sound.

well, after I removed the plast tubes, i noticed that it gets really hot, and also studying it for a min or two, the little scoops are very small, I think thats one of the reasons why its stopping it. since trying out to remove the tubes. it DOES give it that WHOOP sound that ive been trying to achieve, project continues. what I'm gonna do NOW is to stick ONE cone filter on ONE side, and remove the sheet filter from that side. then if the WHOOP sound gets more efficient (not only high rpms but low rpms too) then i'd get the B&B one with the heat shield. drive around for a month or two. then drop by a rice shop and do custom piping and find a adapter (or take out from the airbox) the little clamps! then boom. new intake.

*EDIT*

WOW... I went out for dinner before, on the way home... Rolled the windows down. goddam its loud now. since I removed the plastic tubes. it gives the remus a more "eisenmann-y" kinda growl! and the engine is more throaty and gives the whoop sound. dam I like this. Did some measurements before. Sent it to the place where I'm gonan order the intake. the passanger side should be no prob. but the drivers side is a little tough.

btw, anyone know where I can get a used C32 AMG airbox?

Last edited by advans; 09-22-2006 at 10:27 PM.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 ///AMG, 535xi
Update!!!

Heres a pic of a crossfire with something that I want to do.

heres the cold air intake

I'm gonna order the B&B Cold Air. its $298 but ehh...lets see how this works
Old 09-24-2006, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 C320 (purple), 2002 BMW 540i
This thread is starting to turn me on...
Old 09-24-2006, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 ///AMG, 535xi
Originally Posted by b3d_sage
This thread is starting to turn me on...
lol, I ordered the B&B Performance intake, but now I have to find a rice shop that can do this "Y-Pipe" situation for me.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 C32 ///AMG
that intake looks sick
Old 09-25-2006, 12:45 PM

okay... I AM SOLD!

have you noticed any power loss due to heat?
Old 09-25-2006, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 ///AMG, 535xi
okay... I AM SOLD!

have you noticed any power loss due to heat?
actually, I threw the plastic pipes back on and I noticed that without the pipes, the engine sounds throatier, but power wise, no diff.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:11 PM

Alot of time and money for no gain, and rather ghetto!
Old 09-25-2006, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 c230 v6 SS
larger air ducts/piping with a good outer filter system and baffled out air boxes emptied would prolly make throttle response better in higher rpms. and for sure would make a nice growl in sound. i did this on my honda after my intake got stolen once, i had to make something out of nothing, so i had the throttle body to a open air box with no paper filter, then i ran a mandrel bent tube off of the outlet on the air box and stuck on a spare aem filter. and it worked like a dream, until i ended up buying another aem cold air. lol i remember one night topping my civic out at 125 with that home made intake. and with my cold air i could never bury the needle. b/c the home made piping was huge and held more air.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 ///AMG, 535xi
dropped by a local rice shop today, wanted to charge me $300 with installation he said. JUST the tubes. i said
Old 09-26-2006, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 ///AMG, 535xi
A Short Video Clip!

attach is a few 10 second clips i shot today, not the best in the world, but maybe you can hear a bit louder from the engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYLL3qYloA0

enjoy..

also, updated, cold air intake will be coming hopefully by friday, so this weekend, another few clips back here.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 c230 v6 SS
i pulled those plastic tubes off, but for some reason i couldnt fully pull em out, bc they wouldnt come away from the radiator support area, so i pulled em off and tucked em away to the sides. now i have kn's and i have my resonator pulled on my 2.5 v6, and today in the evening with temps around 80 degrees, i couldnt help but to full throttle b/c after 4k my engine ripped and got soo throaty, it jus amped it by like 20%, i want some custom metal tubes with some sort of echo coming out of it, it would sound soooo nice, lol reminds me of vtec with a dohc honda motor. but yea this will be a very interesting thing to tamper with. i like that crossfire design with teh two heat shielded filters. i want it to look nice.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 ///AMG, 535xi
Originally Posted by anthuny85
i pulled those plastic tubes off, but for some reason i couldnt fully pull em out, bc they wouldnt come away from the radiator support area, so i pulled em off and tucked em away to the sides. now i have kn's and i have my resonator pulled on my 2.5 v6, and today in the evening with temps around 80 degrees, i couldnt help but to full throttle b/c after 4k my engine ripped and got soo throaty, it jus amped it by like 20%, i want some custom metal tubes with some sort of echo coming out of it, it would sound soooo nice, lol reminds me of vtec with a dohc honda motor. but yea this will be a very interesting thing to tamper with. i like that crossfire design with teh two heat shielded filters. i want it to look nice.
i'm glad someone tried this! it does sound throaty! lik u said 20% louder!

try driving this for a day or two. then slap back on the tubes, and u'll feel the diff.

seems like the car pulls a bit faster w/o the tubes
Old 09-27-2006, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 c230 v6 SS
yea it does it revs up faster and my shift points keep climbing up to around 3500 on a light foot. i def am going to look into doing some custom intakes as well, do u think it would be a good idea to jus have the custom intakes attatched to the empty air boxes? that way if need be for warranty we could jus take the metal tubing and cone filters off slap the paper filters back in and the plastic tubes on and were back to stock lol. i think the power will increase those air boxes empty are quite large and it would store a lot of air and throttle response will stay peppy. where did u order ur b/b intakes? got pics of it?
Old 09-27-2006, 02:30 PM

you guys DEFINATLY NEED TO CUT THE BAFFLES OUT of the air box... that does add to the sound! and if you cut the baffles out, let me know if you figured out how to "crack" open the center... as i still need to dremel mine out, but could not figure out how it was held together.

SOON as i get my car back from the body shop... I AM ON THIS BAND WAGON... 'xcept i still want to try to use the AIR RAM somehow, by making the holes and tubes larger.

Does anyone have suggestions for me to try?

Last edited by Justinius7; 09-27-2006 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 ///AMG, 535xi
Originally Posted by anthuny85
yea it does it revs up faster and my shift points keep climbing up to around 3500 on a light foot. i def am going to look into doing some custom intakes as well, do u think it would be a good idea to jus have the custom intakes attatched to the empty air boxes? that way if need be for warranty we could jus take the metal tubing and cone filters off slap the paper filters back in and the plastic tubes on and were back to stock lol. i think the power will increase those air boxes empty are quite large and it would store a lot of air and throttle response will stay peppy. where did u order ur b/b intakes? got pics of it?
I'm still waiting on the product. I hope it comes soon.

If you want to give it a wait till I get it, then i'll let u know if they "work" or not. I'll keep u guys updated.

Justinius,

I'm gonna cut out the baffles after my next service appointment
Old 09-27-2006, 05:47 PM

2001 C320 (purple), 2002 BMW 540i
I'm pretty interested in removing the baffles... any real purpose to them?? I don't even know where they are or what they look like, to be honest. I've yet to figure out how to get the engine cover off.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by b3d_sage
I'm pretty interested in removing the baffles... any real purpose to them?? I don't even know where they are or what they look like, to be honest. I've yet to figure out how to get the engine cover off.
TO answer your question'S.... look here...

pics of the baffels and the how to instructions.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...88#post1227088

all the baffels seem to do is muffle the sound some... and evenly dispurse air across the entire filter.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 ///AMG, 535xi
hmmm I just took a look at the airbox. I wonder if theres any way to take it apart....

I was just thinking, with the B&B cold air, the airbox would be empty. wouldnt that sound louder?
Old 09-28-2006, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by advans
hmmm I just took a look at the airbox. I wonder if theres any way to take it apart....

I was just thinking, with the B&B cold air, the airbox would be empty. wouldnt that sound louder?
I would think so.... seems as if those baffles are only for sound deadening.

I HAVE an idea... Do you think that the box seams are "glued together? If so... I am thinking that it may be possible to bake the box in the oven at a few hundred degrees till the glue softens up, then maybe the box can be pulled apart.
I read this idea in the ML forums, as ML owners were trying to pull apart the headlamp assembly to remove the orange reflector. Supposedly RICERS do this quite often to the headlights.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 ///AMG, 535xi
I would think so.... seems as if those baffles are only for sound deadening.

I HAVE an idea... Do you think that the box seams are "glued together? If so... I am thinking that it may be possible to bake the box in the oven at a few hundred degrees till the glue softens up, then maybe the box can be pulled apart.
I read this idea in the ML forums, as ML owners were trying to pull apart the headlamp assembly to remove the orange reflector. Supposedly RICERS do this quite often to the headlights.
I removed the headlight on my ML, I was trying to remove the reflectors, but its glued together!

I saw a used airbox on ebay a while ago. If they have another, I would buy it! lol tear it apart!
Old 09-28-2006, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by advans
I removed the headlight on my ML, I was trying to remove the reflectors, but its glued together!

I saw a used airbox on ebay a while ago. If they have another, I would buy it! lol tear it apart!
The ML light IS glued together, hence supposedly if you bake the headlight it softens the glue then comes together.

a spare on ebay... not a bad idea!...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Intake theory - V6 models 2001-2005