C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Intake theory - V6 models 2001-2005

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 C320 (purple), 2002 BMW 540i
FOUND ONE FOR YOU ON EBAY!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERCE...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 09-28-2006, 06:15 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
the stock ram air set up is good enough. all you need are some thermo cloth to wrapped the front plastic inlet pipe and you will see intake temp decrease. The Crossfire one looks good tho.

search the E55 forums for "cold air intake" and the thread that talked about this.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
R129, XF Sportbrake, SC400
Originally Posted by FrankW
the stock ram air set up is good enough. all you need are some thermo cloth to wrapped the front plastic inlet pipe and you will see intake temp decrease. The Crossfire one looks good tho.

search the E55 forums for "cold air intake" and the thread that talked about this.
I knew the Crossfire shared the SLK chassis/engine, but they are a lot more alike than i thought. Even when you leave the key in and open the door, its the same exact sound. The V6 sounds good with the Crossfire's exhaust though.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:31 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
well, they are basically the same car with different sheet metal.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:02 PM

c320 '03
mayb i can help you guys on this... i got a friend that has acompany that make the filters, so if you guys got the specs i can go to his place n grap some parts n try it out on sombodys car that live near us, i am to chicken to try it on my..
Old 09-28-2006, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
b3d sage, thanks alot! but I think im gonna pass on it, i'm quite broke at the moment.

Justinis7, when i'm free one day, I think im gonna "heat up" the glue to the ML headlights, and tint the orange reflector, not sure if it would work, but i'd give it a try.

Frank, the stock ram air is good enough, i agree. but I read on the crossfire forums that this supposed "cold air" mod gives the car a throaty sound even during low rpms (that is what i'm trying to achieve)

Sogo011852, Thanks for the offer, but I think i'm gonna do some custom piping here. btw, 0-1-1 8-5-2, are you calling back to hong kong? lol
Old 09-28-2006, 07:56 PM

anthuny85,
Removing the airbox, or any part of it will not change the shift points. These are set by a computer on the tranny. The only way to change these points is to reprogram the ecu for the tranny. As for the engine revving quicker, again the only way to change the way in which the engine revs, is to either reprogram the ecu to deliver more fuel, or lighten the recipricating load on the engine, or reprogram the spark tables to add more advance. If you guys wanted your cars to sound like a honda, then why didnt you buy a honda. I would bet money that your cars are actually slower with this done to it, then it was when it was stock. Also if the heads only flow say 200 cfm then making you intake flow 500 cfm does not mean that the heads will flow anymore than 200 cfm. If the original intake flows 201 cfm, then doing any mods to it will net you nothing because you havent changed the flow into the engine.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 ///AMG, 535xi
Originally Posted by nov0798
anthuny85,
Removing the airbox, or any part of it will not change the shift points. These are set by a computer on the tranny. The only way to change these points is to reprogram the ecu for the tranny. As for the engine revving quicker, again the only way to change the way in which the engine revs, is to either reprogram the ecu to deliver more fuel, or lighten the recipricating load on the engine, or reprogram the spark tables to add more advance. If you guys wanted your cars to sound like a honda, then why didnt you buy a honda. I would bet money that your cars are actually slower with this done to it, then it was when it was stock. Also if the heads only flow say 200 cfm then making you intake flow 500 cfm does not mean that the heads will flow anymore than 200 cfm. If the original intake flows 201 cfm, then doing any mods to it will net you nothing because you havent changed the flow into the engine.

well, as for me, like ive been saying, im not trying to "pump out" hp, as a matter of fact, i dont even mind if my hp decreases a little (how fast can i really drive in new york city) I'm trying to achieve the throaty intake sound. and right now, removing the tubes, seem to somehow achieve this. and i'm giving that cold air intake a try
Old 09-29-2006, 03:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 c230 v6 SS
its not the matter of it sounding like a honda, its just nice to have a nice engine sound when driving a semi sports car. maybe you like ur engine to be quite, some like it loud as hell, were jus simply testing what we have to play with. i actually had my friend run thru 1st gear to redline on an open road and teh sound is pretty damn nice. i jus want to fine tune it a little thats all, honda or mercedes it doesnt matter, with the right tuning/knowledge of engines you can achieve what your looking for. were jus havin fun
Old 09-29-2006, 07:16 AM

c320 '03
Talking this got me thinkin all day..

man.. this subject got me thinkin all day... n i'm thinkin to play around wit this as soon as im finish with the up comming SEMA show cars and in that show there is always lots of ideas or ppl that can help out and also lots of extra parts lie around the warehouse.. but 1st i will take a look at my c and measure the pipe size and also try to figure where i can pipe the air filter to actually suck cold air, cuz there is no point of doin this half ***... mayb i'll pipe the filter more near the ground or find a opening around the bumper that fit the pipe, everything is easy to get for me since i do car parts n has a friend that actually manufacture air intake systems, the only thing i actually need to find is oem air box and take it apart and only use the top part as a cover of the piping.. i dont want to look getto.. if it works i'll post pic or somthin...
Old 09-29-2006, 09:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 ///AMG, 535xi
Originally Posted by anthuny85
its not the matter of it sounding like a honda, its just nice to have a nice engine sound when driving a semi sports car. maybe you like ur engine to be quite, some like it loud as hell, were jus simply testing what we have to play with. i actually had my friend run thru 1st gear to redline on an open road and teh sound is pretty damn nice. i jus want to fine tune it a little thats all, honda or mercedes it doesnt matter, with the right tuning/knowledge of engines you can achieve what your looking for. were jus havin fun
I agree, honda or mercedes, it doesnt really matter.

like you said, some people like their cars LOUD as hell and some like it quiet. some like it stock, and some like it super modded.

as somepeople say "oh your driving a mercedes bla bla bla shouldnt be doing this and that" like cappa always says "its your car and you can do w/e you want with it"
Old 09-29-2006, 06:34 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by advans
b3d sage, thanks alot! but I think im gonna pass on it, i'm quite broke at the moment.

Justinis7, when i'm free one day, I think im gonna "heat up" the glue to the ML headlights, and tint the orange reflector, not sure if it would work, but i'd give it a try.

Frank, the stock ram air is good enough, i agree. but I read on the crossfire forums that this supposed "cold air" mod gives the car a throaty sound even during low rpms (that is what i'm trying to achieve)

Sogo011852, Thanks for the offer, but I think i'm gonna do some custom piping here. btw, 0-1-1 8-5-2, are you calling back to hong kong? lol
the throaty sound is simply contributed to the exposed filters. The stock airbox has a enclosed filter which muffles the sound. Many Audi owners have cut out a opening on the bottom of the stock airbox. It's proven to work just as well as the cold air and makes a throaty intake sound. However this method works for them because they have a stand along airbox design like the W208 or W210. Our airboxes are the ram air design which sit on top of the engine, so cutting the bottom out from the airbox does not do anything other than sucking in more hot air.

performance wise wrapping the front plastic inlet in thermo cloth is good enough and goes along with the high flow filters. The cold air setup on the crossfire will probably yield around the same numbers except because there is no airbox to muffle the sound it'll be louder.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 ///AMG, 535xi
Some More Videos!

Hey guys, I took a few short clips on the way home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8cIY7MxwCg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cJoi93Ivhw
Old 10-06-2006, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 ///AMG, 535xi
very pissed off! the CAI arrived today but it doesnt F-ing fit! grrr!
Old 10-06-2006, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW e92 335i
I have a custom v6 airbox if anyone is interested? came off my 01 c320.. lemme know..
Old 10-30-2006, 05:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by phattbam
I have a custom v6 airbox if anyone is interested? came off my 01 c320.. lemme know..
CUSTOM? in what way? may be interested!
Old 10-30-2006, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 ///AMG, 535xi
Originally Posted by Justinius7
sexsphere is selling a CF airbox for the M112 motors. you might be interested.

also, my INTAKE BROKE! it fell off and damaged my V belt and chipped a pulley! i'm pissed!
Old 10-30-2006, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 C32 ///AMG
sexsphere is selling a CF airbox for the M112 motors. you might be interested.

also, my INTAKE BROKE! it fell off and damaged my V belt and chipped a pulley! i'm pissed!
his is just a engine cover
but it looks hott
Old 10-30-2006, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 ///AMG, 535xi
Originally Posted by rlee02135
his is just a engine cover
but it looks hott
ohh ur right, Don told me that already, I just keep thinking that its like the RENNTECH one, which I love!!
Old 11-03-2006, 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW e92 335i
Originally Posted by Justinius7
the middle mercedes benz area is painted red to look like the Brabus one. the Mercedes Benz lettering is in black though. I will try to clean it up and take pics.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 ///AMG, 535xi
so i'm guessing you just painted your airbox?
Old 11-03-2006, 11:48 AM

c230k
hey guys, ive been going nuts about building a "cold air" intake for our V6s.
I used to own a Maxima with a Stillen Intake that I had, and I miss that kinda, throaty growl that comes out of the intake.

IF IF IF I have built a cold air, using the stock airboxes, say, the 2 cone filters with heat shields sit where the current intake tubes are. technically, that could be called a "cold air intake".

My theory is that, IF the 2 cones sit there, the air would suck in, STILL go thru the stock airbox. so it would technically be the same as the 2 sheet filters sitting in the air box. am i right? I mean, its still the same air going thru the same box.

well I've been WANTING to have that throaty growl, anyone know of anything? I know this thing "B&B PERFORMANCE COLD AIR INTAKE" they have it for our V6, and the guys at the chrysler crossfire forums said that theres no gain in hp, but def a throatier sound. suggestions?

thanks in advan-ced
I have seen it done by one of our clients out of 2 performance intakes for Honda civic, basically 2-3 rubber elbows/w hose clamps, chrome pipe same size as your mass air flow and routed to original inlet close to the hood.
with one generic K&N cone with heat shield around it.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW e92 335i
so i'm guessing you just painted your airbox?
pretty much..
Old 11-03-2006, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 ///AMG, 535xi
Originally Posted by phattbam
pretty much..

I think I'm going to CF wrap my airbox and paint the exisiting silver "mercedes benz" to a glossy black and chrome lettering. but...thats gonna take a while
Old 11-04-2006, 05:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW e92 335i
I think I'm going to CF wrap my airbox and paint the exisiting silver "mercedes benz" to a glossy black and chrome lettering. but...thats gonna take a while
interested in buying mine while you "customize" yours??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Intake theory - V6 models 2001-2005