C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

"The C-Class Forum" Bashing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dia Blk '06 C230 w/3 pedals
I notice patrick had no response to me.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It's a bit more "lively" in here compared to the other sections of MBWorld with the exception of maybe the E55 forum. Jangy is entertainment.

There's not a lot of flaming on this forum but a lot of STFF thrown out at others (sometimes justified, sometimes not). For the most part there's a lot of constructive criticism and not many direct insults. At times, some members do get on their high horse in defending their loyalty to MB but that's to be expected of any forum and DEFINITELY not as bad here compared to E46Fanatics. "M3>all; I'll beat you in the twisties"

There is one thing that will make anyone look bad whether forum related or not: Improper grammar and incorrect spelling. Sure the typo's will happen but the improper use of a word such as there/their/they're is annoying!
Old 10-02-2006, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2002 C230K, 2013 BMW 328, 2015 BMW X5
Originally Posted by sdsilverm3
There is one thing that will make anyone look bad whether forum related or not: Improper grammar and incorrect spelling. Sure the typo's will happen but the improper use of a word such as there/their/they're is annoying!
I think that you guys are going overboard with this. You'll live.

Again, if you value someone based on spelling, you have A Lot of learning to do.

But to each there/their/they're own. I don't care if you are annoyed.

E
Old 10-02-2006, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by emrliquidlife
I think that you guys are going overboard with this. You'll live.

Again, if you value someone based on spelling, you have A Lot of learning to do.

But to each there/their/they're own. I don't care if you are annoyed.

E
That's fine you don't care that I'm annoyed nor do I expect you to. I'm just voicing my opinion. I don't necessarily "value" people based on their spelling but I can tell you that some people do. Hopefully, when you come across those type of people they aren't someone with hiring authority at a company you wish to work for.

But yeah, to each and there/their/they're own.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2002 C230K, 2013 BMW 328, 2015 BMW X5
That's fine you don't care that I'm annoyed nor do I expect you to. I'm just voicing my opinion. I don't necessarily "value" people based on their spelling but I can tell you that some people do. Hopefully, when you come across those type of people they aren't someone with hiring authority at a company you wish to work for.

But yeah, to each and there/their/they're own.

Thanks for taking my comment with maturity. I wake up each morning telling myself how lucky I am. I work for me! Self employed. I know there/their/they're are more of us out there/their/they're....

And, yes I did look up the definitions of each word. Now to just remember them.

E
Old 10-02-2006, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for taking my comment with maturity. I wake up each morning telling myself how lucky I am. I work for me! Self employed. I know there/their/they're are more of us out there/their/they're....

And, yes I did look up the definitions of each word. Now to just remember them.

E
What type of example would I be setting if I didn't?
Old 10-02-2006, 09:51 PM
Administrator

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
What type of example would I be setting if I didn't?
You probably still be driving a silver m3 in sd.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
I don't care if you are annoyed.
Not annoyed......disappointed.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06' BMW M3
I just finished reading this entire thread.Firefox(browser) has spell check built into it.To the OP(original poster)thank you for starting this thread.To "drex" thank you for your contribution as well.It seems that this thread has become exactly what the OP was referring to in the first place.I'm relatively new here and I really enjoy "collecting" information about my car,so I can make the best possible decisions as to what I want to do to my personal vehicle.

thank you to those who do offer advice and information,
Phin

Edit:btw I'm a lousy speller
Old 05-27-2007, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
R129, XF Sportbrake, SC400
Originally Posted by Phin
I just finished reading this entire thread.Firefox(browser) has spell check built into it.To the OP(original poster)thank you for starting this thread.To "drex" thank you for your contribution as well.It seems that this thread has become exactly what the OP was referring to in the first place.I'm relatively new here and I really enjoy "collecting" information about my car,so I can make the best possible decisions as to what I want to do to my personal vehicle.

thank you to those who do offer advice and information,
Phin

Edit:btw I'm a lousy speller
I hope that you can use the wealth of information on this forum to your advantage. I still see some of us, mainly newbs, no offense as i know you are one, that contribute to what i was talking about in the first place. I've learned that it is probably going to be something that we are just going to have to deal with. Like it was said earlier, no one is forced to read or respond so certain posts.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:53 PM

Gee, I wonder why this forum gets bashed... when ever I post I rarely get responds and when I do its STFF or some other gay ****. There can only be so many things to talk about in a C-Class forum... wtf does it matter if they get asked more then once. Also, there seems to be a clique on this forum and all you people do in the clique is ride each others ****. Also, although I rarely post (you read why, no help or lack or response) I browse this forum everyday to see the same things being talked about but when a new member posts something he gets hated on. Just my two cents.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by roffey
Gee, I wonder why this forum gets bashed... when ever I post I rarely get responds and when I do its STFF or some other gay ****. There can only be so many things to talk about in a C-Class forum... wtf does it matter if they get asked more then once. Also, there seems to be a clique on this forum and all you people do in the clique is ride each others ****. Also, although I rarely post (you read why, no help or lack or response) I browse this forum everyday to see the same things being talked about but when a new member posts something he gets hated on. Just my two cents.
To my understanding, the STFF is thrown out to reduce kinda keep the forum organized and not have so many threads on the same thing, basically making it easier to find info when it's needed. The STFF actually used to get thrown out more in the past, i've noticed that it has actually calmed down because people have brought up the issue before. Also, this forum is definately not the only forum that the STFF gets thrown out in. It may just get thrown out the most in here because its one of the more active ones. Second to what? Just OT right?
Old 05-27-2007, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Ryanr317
To my understanding, the STFF is thrown out to reduce kinda keep the forum organized and not have so many threads on the same thing, basically making it easier to find info when it's needed. The STFF actually used to get thrown out more in the past, i've noticed that it has actually calmed down because people have brought up the issue before. Also, this forum is definately not the only forum that the STFF gets thrown out in. It may just get thrown out the most in here because its one of the more active ones. Second to what? Just OT right?
last thread I made, I asked how to remove the cover of the bose speaker on the driver side door. I was told to STFF and never got answer. How often can that question possibly be asked??
Old 05-27-2007, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by roffey
last thread I made, I asked how to remove the cover of the bose speaker on the driver side door. I was told to STFF and never got answer. How often can that question possibly be asked??
I don't know who told you to STFF, but they had a good reason. I know this because I actually did a tutorial on removing the door panels that included pictures. So this person telling you to STFF actually was trying to help you out because that thread about the door panels would've been the best place to go. Now i can see how just saying "stff" can come off as a little rude. What they probably should've said was something along the lines of "stff, there is a thread that describes in detail with pictures how to remove the door panels which will allow you to gain access to the speaker." So, we are not always trying to be rude, we are actually trying to help. I actually think that the thread for that is in the DIY sticky, and if it isn't it should be.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

IS300
Originally Posted by Ryanr317
I don't know who told you to STFF, but they had a good reason. I know this because I actually did a tutorial on removing the door panels that included pictures. So this person telling you to STFF actually was trying to help you out because that thread about the door panels would've been the best place to go. Now i can see how just saying "stff" can come off as a little rude. What they probably should've said was something along the lines of "stff, there is a thread that describes in detail with pictures how to remove the door panels which will allow you to gain access to the speaker." So, we are not always trying to be rude, we are actually trying to help. I actually think that the thread for that is in the DIY sticky, and if it isn't it should be.
No, im pretty sure its not a sticky, but it was really helpful. I got the screws out of the door panel with your nice pics. thanks
Old 05-27-2007, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
roffey –

Please do not take personally the perceived treatment you have received thus far from MBWorld. Feel free to post should you feel the need and desire to do so.

I’m still a new guy here. Thanks to my lucky stars, I have a managed to acquire yet another Mercedes-Benz. How fortunate we all are to enjoy that pleasure. I, as do many other members, log on to “forget about life” for a while. The technically oriented posts are most interesting to me, but I still read about the license plate light bulb modifications, as well.

I have posted threads or replies that, while at the time may have seemed appropriate, were, in retrospect, ill-conceived or perhaps interpreted differently from their intended context. I’ve taken the heat and barbs hurled my direction. Nonetheless, I still come back for more.

There are many fine people who frequent and post to this forum. Please be one of ‘em!
Old 05-27-2007, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
the problem with flippant, rolling eyes STFF comments is that this board has
an atrocious search function. it is poor and even if you have a known and
verified post visible....and you use otherwise quality key words, the search
engine doesn't pull it up and displays that annoying "Sorry - no matches...."
same holds true if you type in known keywords with the poster's name

previously one who would sigh and tell folks to search, I dont think this
response is really that constructive anymore. instead, I *will* post
direct link or key words which i know will work.

until this feature is fixed, it's somewhat disingenuous for a moderator to
casually post STFF comments and who should either be more helpful....or,
help create a viable index or stickies. even over time, stickies get stale as
newer info should be added to supplement the outdated information.

ironically, some folks who have high post counts...as if they possess MB
knowledge, wisdom, etc....benefit from this count by posting STFF comments.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:36 PM

2005 Mercedes C230 Sport Sedan (W203)
My opinion on the matter is completely middle-of-the-road.

On the one hand, I have seen a lot of people ask questions that are painstakingly obvious, answered in a sticky or easily obtainable with a search.

On the other hand, I've seen a lot of people throw STFF's out like they're going outta style.

I propose we discourage the use of "STFF", and instead post a comment along the lines of "Try searching for 'door panel removal' and you will find your answer" or "See this post: https://mbworld.org.....". Bottom line is that if you know where the post is, it would be helpful for you to let us all know.

One majorly adverse effect of "STFF" is that often the person does a search and finds what they need, but they never update their post. Then their unanswered post shows up in the search results of someone else's search for the same issue, adding to the frusteration. It would be helpful for everyone to post a link to the thread where they found their answer.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by nickgailloux
My opinion on the matter is completely middle-of-the-road.

On the one hand, I have seen a lot of people ask questions that are painstakingly obvious, answered in a sticky or easily obtainable with a search.

On the other hand, I've seen a lot of people throw STFF's out like they're going outta style.

I propose we discourage the use of "STFF", and instead post a comment along the lines of "Try searching for 'door panel removal' and you will find your answer" or "See this post: https://mbworld.org.....". Bottom line is that if you know where the post is, it would be helpful for you to let us all know.
I agree. When i first came here, i didn't even know what STFF meant. Actually telling them what to search for would be more helpful because we may know what keywords are in the thread and what are best tot use but someone who has never seen the thread before may not.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:22 PM

Is @ Home
IMO, the technical aspect of the C class forum is small. What we talk about most is bodykits, rims, lights, service etc. Rarely would you see a thread about an engine rebuild (with pics), what are the specs for the valve springs, I need to get matching cams, just did an engine swap etc. Besides a few knowledgeable DIY'ers, most people pay instead of doing. They just don't have the technical know hows. I came from the Honda crowd where I've learned to basically do everything on my car from engine swaps, head rebuild, etc basically build a car from a bare shell. The forums are helpful because people have the answers. But here on the w203 forum its mostly appearance mods discussed many of times because members do not search and expect to be spoonfed. How many "error message when installing xenons" are we expected to see?

Bashing doesn't seem harsh in this forum as others (I've been on worst ones). C classes are easily obtainable, the chassis has been in existance for 6 years. The w203 isn't exclusive anymore (not like it was but the people in the lower income bracket can easily get them, no offense to anyone).
Old 07-02-2007, 05:29 PM

wow, people bashing each other because of their "car caliber"?

This is like bazarro world compared to the Saab forums i hang around.. where everyone is pretty much automatically friends because they all drive Saabs

I'm looking at the c230 coupe because of its practicality. Hatchback, high power 4 cyl, solid feel and comfortable ride.... I didn't even factor the fact that "I'd be driving a high caliber car" into the equation...

But i guess its the Saab-esque practicality of the car that attracted me to it

I seriously thought the brand snobbyness associated with Merc owners was all jealousy from poor people, but I'm quickly learning that people do really buy Mercs just so they can appear to have a certain social status.... And here I'm referring to the several chaps that said "Sure I could have gotten a better car, but i wanted a Mercedes" ....

And for the people that buy the cars to have a status mark... Cars say nothing about your "Status"... People in the trailer park aways from me drive nicer cars than i do, even though my annual household income is probably 5 times higher than theirs.. I'm going off on a tangent now....

and I'm fully aware of Saab owners bashing 9-7x and 9-2x owners.. because those really are just re badge jobs, but my point is, saying a c230 isn't a Merc because it doesn't cost enough is just plain ridicules, and its probably the most stuck up ignorant thing I've ever heard

Last edited by boon4376; 07-02-2007 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
John Deere
To take it a step further, I've actually seen a CLS63 owner bash a CLS500 owner as being "out of their league" or some such. The class distinction is quite granular.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
i love my bicycle !
Old 07-02-2007, 10:09 PM

06' BMW M3
Originally Posted by Saprissa
i love my bicycle !
I
Old 07-02-2007, 10:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
Search works perfectly fine for me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: "The C-Class Forum" Bashing