C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Cold Air Intake Mod! Done!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
Cold Air Intake Mod! Done!!!

Hey guys, I've been "thinking" about cold air intake for a while.
the passanger side fitted perfectly, no trim no nothing. but the drivers side, I'm guesing it's because that the coupe body is a bit shorter than the sedan, and the sedan gives it a bit more "space", I did some trimming in the metal shop at school.

again, this is possibly JUST a prototype and i'm gonna possibly do something like one of our fellow members over at CLK55 forums did.

Power/Sound. Again, small chance that theres any gain, but high end rpm, car seems a bit "quicker" and for sound, not a HUGE gain from removing the pipes itself, but during the 3500-redline rpms, theres the throaty sound I was trying to achieve. from 0-20, theres a slight throttle lag, but that DOES come standard on automatic transmissions!

enjoy some pics, i'll TRY to dyno my car, hopefully by the end of the month, with the standard paper filters, and with this mod.

as for my fellow chinese members, happy moon cakes to you,
enjoy, advans.

Old 10-06-2006, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Something Slow
look great nice only if both of the could of stick downwards but it still look sweet i sure will be getting one from you if everything goes good.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by advans
Hey guys, I've been "thinking" about cold air intake for a while.
the passanger side fitted perfectly, no trim no nothing. but the drivers side, I'm guesing it's because that the coupe body is a bit shorter than the sedan, and the sedan gives it a bit more "space", I did some trimming in the metal shop at school.

again, this is possibly JUST a prototype and i'm gonna possibly do something like one of our fellow members over at CLK55 forums did.

Power/Sound. Again, small chance that theres any gain, but high end rpm, car seems a bit "quicker" and for sound, not a HUGE gain from removing the pipes itself, but during the 3500-redline rpms, theres the throaty sound I was trying to achieve. from 0-20, theres a slight throttle lag, but that DOES come standard on automatic transmissions!

enjoy some pics, i'll TRY to dyno my car, hopefully by the end of the month, with the standard paper filters, and with this mod.

as for my fellow chinese members, happy moon cakes to you,
enjoy, advans.

Wait, if the intake pipes normally connect directly to the air ducts, how does your setup become a "cold air" intake? "Cold-air" intake would imply that you are getting cooler air getting sucked into the piping, through the OEM filters, and into the manifold, but from your pictures, the front of the pipes sit in the engine bay. Wouldn't that generate "warmer" air rather than "cooler/colder" air? From what it looks like, it is more of a ram air intake.

I think the only way to get "cooler" air than the stock pipes, theoretically, you'd have to get the piping to bend down to near the bottom of the front bumper where it's away from the engine bay.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:11 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
w203 m112
I have to agree with drex, it doesnt seem to be really a cold air intake to me... regardless of what its called, if it gets ya that sound you are after, more power to you for actually makin it happen hopefully itll pay off on the dyno too

-j0hn
Old 10-06-2006, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 ///AMG, 535xi
Originally Posted by TruTaing
I have to agree with drex, it doesnt seem to be really a cold air intake to me... regardless of what its called, if it gets ya that sound you are after, more power to you for actually makin it happen hopefully itll pay off on the dyno too

-j0hn
I do agree, i'm still debating if it is sucking cold or hot air..., but again, this is a prototype version. and sooner, im doing custom piping, where there would be NO airbox. just a Y-pipe that connects to 2 long pipes. but no way I can stick anything towards the lower bumper, theres not enough space

by the way wavey, the reason why I cant have two that sticks downward is because on the drivers side, theres the intercooler plastic tube, and a few other things (i forgot what was there).

again, I hope this works out the way I wanted it to. and also, lets see what the dyno says
Old 10-06-2006, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by advans
I do agree, i'm still debating if it is sucking cold or hot air..., but again, this is a prototype version. and sooner, im doing custom piping, where there would be NO airbox. just a Y-pipe that connects to 2 long pipes. but no way I can stick anything towards the lower bumper, theres not enough space

by the way wavey, the reason why I cant have two that sticks downward is because on the drivers side, theres the intercooler plastic tube, and a few other things (i forgot what was there).

again, I hope this works out the way I wanted it to. and also, lets see what the dyno says
advans, I hope you don't take offense to my comments. I was just putting out some constructive criticism. Regardless, I definitely give you props for your efforts. It's always the people that are willing to take the risks that deserve accolades.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:47 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C320-2003
Nice paint on the cover!!!
Old 10-06-2006, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 ///AMG, 535xi
Originally Posted by drexappeal
advans, I hope you don't take offense to my comments. I was just putting out some constructive criticism. Regardless, I definitely give you props for your efforts. It's always the people that are willing to take the risks that deserve accolades.
no drex, im not taking any offense to your comments, im not a newb no more!

I do understand what your saying, I think someone from the W202 forums did a Cold air mod, but he removed one of the fog lights, which was weird...

I spend the whole afternoon doing this, didnt really get a chance to "test" it out like on a highway or nothing, just local streets, went around the block a few times, seem to have a good feel to it.

maybe a short video soon to come!!!

congchina! on the airbox, its not paint, its "stickers" but I do want to paint it. Bright silver finish that is.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 C32 ///AMG
looks nice. our intakes match. we both used SS pipes and blue couplers
Old 10-06-2006, 10:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 ///AMG, 535xi
Originally Posted by rlee02135
looks nice. our intakes match. we both used SS pipes and blue couplers
Old 10-06-2006, 11:59 PM

BMW 135i
i will see it tommrow im coming to brooklyn call my cell
Old 10-07-2006, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 ML500
Wow nicely done!!
Good job man.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 ///AMG, 535xi
Originally Posted by infected
Wow nicely done!!
Good job man.
thanks guys! I'm gonna leave my house! gonna hit up staten island mall or roosevelt field! gonna test it out on the highway!
Old 10-07-2006, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is SOLD
isn't the factory tubes more efficient. now you're just sucking hot air around the engine whereas the factory tubes were ram air.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:07 PM

BMW 135i
ii saw it today it looks sick it makes a loud sucking noise
Old 10-07-2006, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

"Double Stuff" SOLD | Nor*Cals "Pesky Audi"
fix the 'kinks' and be sure to make us some!
Old 10-08-2006, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 ///AMG, 535xi
Originally Posted by BadAssC230k
fix the 'kinks' and be sure to make us some!
I want to do some custom piping, and possibly when i'm done with my car, were gonna take a look at c230_05's M271! then maybe a rather more "cold" air, since the engine bay is easier to work with!

Well, I tried it out last night, car seems to be "sucking" a lot of air, well most possibly hot air, but the throttle response on high rpms are great. pickup wise, seems like theres a minor throttle lag.

but again, maybe I should reset the ECU!? yeah lets try that!
Old 10-08-2006, 12:45 PM

/////AMG
Nice job, but i would have to agree on what Drex said. Other than that, i give you many props on trying this mod yourself.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C3Twon AWD Jumpofffff
good job maybe try to take the car to the dyno???
Old 10-09-2006, 03:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
That isn't really a cold air intake or ram air intake. More of a warm air intake now. By removing the snorkel tubes, it is sucking in more of the air from the engine bay than from outside. The stock intake on the Mercedes is already a ram air intake.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 ///AMG, 535xi
Originally Posted by pshek
That isn't really a cold air intake or ram air intake. More of a warm air intake now. By removing the snorkel tubes, it is sucking in more of the air from the engine bay than from outside. The stock intake on the Mercedes is already a ram air intake.
yeah pshek, i did quite some testing. I first removed the two plastic tubes, and I noticed that the exhaust/intake was louder, and high end rpms car seems to respond faster. (some other members have also took this advice and tried it, said the same). Then I said, "hey might as well TRY the supposed "cold air intake" which is not really that cold. I looked at the crossfire engine bay, and where they sit. I also looked at quite a few cars with cold air, to see exactly "how far" they are to the engine, and most of them are right next to it.

then I came out with this prototype product.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 c230 v6 SS
ur not sucking that much hot air, possibly a tad more, and mainly b/c metal tubing is going to heat up more than plastic, also those filters are right where the ram air ducts are, so the filters are picking up forced in air somewhat, hey if it sounds good and the high rpm throttle is nice, have fun driving at 3,500k to redline! cause i sure do haha. man i love the sound of mine with the tubes pulled off, even on partial throttle, when it hits 4k it sounds real throaty.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 ///AMG, 535xi
Originally Posted by anthuny85
ur not sucking that much hot air, possibly a tad more, and mainly b/c metal tubing is going to heat up more than plastic, also those filters are right where the ram air ducts are, so the filters are picking up forced in air somewhat, hey if it sounds good and the high rpm throttle is nice, have fun driving at 3,500k to redline! cause i sure do haha. man i love the sound of mine with the tubes pulled off, even on partial throttle, when it hits 4k it sounds real throaty.

see! even anthuny pulled off the plastic tubess!!!