C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Help, I think my car is falling apart!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2002, 01:15 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32
Help, I think my car is falling apart!

I just bought a used 2001 C320 wtih 18K miles about a week and a half ago and since then I've discovered quite a few things wrong with it. I'm hoping some of you can provide some helpful advice. I'd also like to know what is covered with the included scheduled maintenance and if any of the below items are covered. Please help, I'd like to have a positive experience owning this car.

Here's my problems with the car so far:

1) When I was driving from Las Vegas back to LA this past weekend, it died on me (gas pedal would stop responding). After restarting the car, the multifunction display said "Battery/Alternator Fault, Visit Workshop". Well, I drove to the nearest rest area, used the rest room and restarted the car. Strange enough, the error message was no longer there. I dialed into the MBenz Roadside Assistance and asked them what could be wrong and they said they had no idea and I should drive around for a little bit and if nothing seems wrong, then the car is fine. Well, I drove for about another hour and it happened again and I restarted the car and this time there was no error message. Continued driving for another 6 hours from LA to Sacramento and nothing similar has came up since. Don't know what could be wrong but I was looking last night on this forum and some people say high outside temperatures start making the car's computer act all funny. It was 115 degrees outside on the way from Vegas to LA. Anyone else have experience with their car stalling for no apparent reason?

2) Steering wheel doesn't move up or down. The car has power telescoping and tilt wheel and when I put the key in I can hear the steering wheel motor while but it goes nowhere. The button on the door doesn't make it go up or down either.

3) Driver's window switch works intermittently. On part of my trip to LA, it wouldn't go down.

4) Xenon lights are misaligned, need to be realigned. Does the dealer charge for this?

5) Alignment. Car tugs to the right. Also at speeds over 80mph, I can feel a vibration in the steering wheel. I was expecting the car to be smooth at high speeds. I feel the vibration over the smoothest roads but maybe I'm just oversensitive.

6) Driver's sun visor light doesn't turn off correctly. The mirror flap doesn't close all the way so I need to tap it so it will go in but after time it will just pop back out and the light will come back on.

All in all, it's a great car but I'd like to know from everyone's experience if these items will be covered with the standard Mercedes Warranty. Supposedly all scheduled maintenance for 50,000 miles is covered right? But are these things like alignment included? I have an appointment scheduled for next Tuesday and would like to know if I'm gonna be charged, otherwise I may take it elsewhere for alignment and such. I stopped by the Mercedes dealer in Sacramento last night but they couldn't tell me a whole lot b/c they said they'd have to take a look at the car and they were closing.

Lastly, I've noticed that some people say that if you didn't buy your car from there, then the dealer isn't going to treat you as well. Anyone know if Von Housen Mercedes in Sacramento is the same? I bought it from a private individual but it does have a Starmark extended warranty if that matters.

Thanks for reading through this long message! All advice appreciated!
Old 09-05-2002, 03:55 AM
Almost a Member!

C320
Sorry to hear about your problems My car is 18 months old and has been in the shop over 32 times (no joke )
I have had the multifuncion display give me erroneous readings and have documented them with the dealer. Whenever the display gave me a false reading I went straight to the dealer w/o shutting down the engine and had them document the problem. Many times the repair guy cannot duplicate the problem and it is your word against his. Sounds to me that everything you described (exept the tire allignment) will be covered under the warranty.
Good luck,
Charles
Old 09-05-2002, 09:10 AM

warranty

You state you bought a USED Car, so you have to look at your specific warranty ...
Old 09-05-2002, 11:02 AM

2002 C320 c2/c3/c4 & command
For the "Battery/Alternator Fault, Visit Workshop" warning came out that means your Alternator is about to fail.
It happened to me once and I didn't pay much attention to it since when I restarted the engine, the warning message were gone.
However, about a month later, this "Battery/Alternator Fault, Visit Workshop" warning message came out again and then it stay up no matter how many times I restart my car. So, I bring it in to by dealer and they changed my alterbator. Since then, it runs pretty good so far.
You better take it to the dealer and let me check it out. I believe the fault code is still log inside your car's computer. Good luck.
Old 09-05-2002, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Originally posted by newMBz
they changed my alterbator.
Hmmm.
Old 09-05-2002, 11:59 AM

11' E-350 BlueTec
I've got a couple of messages on my trip computer (BAS and ESP) and after I stop and restart my car the messages were gone. Anyway, I went to the dealership and they checked the car and all the error messages were stored on the log so I think that every time a message is displayed to you it gets saved. On the repair order they even stated that the log was reseted to clear the error messages. My recommendation is: go to the dealership, explain them your problems and let them fix your car (should be under warranty).
Hope this helps.
Old 09-05-2002, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Technically you don't have a Starmark warranty - that is only given if buying a used car from a Mercedes dealer. However, the original warranty should be in effect (it's supposed to be transferrable). As others have said most of your problems should be covered by the warranty - except the alignment. The only thing I could think of that might also be a problem is the mis-aligned Xenons, there's a possiblility that these were added aftermarket (quite common) and not orignially part of the car.

Good luck, BT