C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Climate Control - Vent Direction Face Only?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Climate Control - Vent Direction Face Only?

I've STFF but I can't find an answer to my question.

I have a 03 C230 Coupe with the Dual Climate Control (two manual knobs for driver and passenger temperature).

When I set it the climate control to AUTO, so the temperature is automatically controlled, the air will only blow out of the Face vents regardless of what direction I have the vents set to (Face, Floor, Windshield, Combination).

Is that how it is supposed to work?
When it is set to AUTO, the direction of the vents can't be controlled and is stuck on Face?
If so, does this just pertain to the the manual knob model and not the electronic version or do both function the same way?

This has been annoying the heck out of me since I got the car earlier this year. I can't stand having the air blow out of the Face vents particularly when it begins blowing hard when first started. It destroys my eyes and sinuses.

I appreciate your responses.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:14 PM

2001 c240
when you put it on auto, the airflow is automatically controlled and it is dependent on the temperature you set. for example, if you set it to 78 degrees in the winter, it should blow towards the feet too
Old 10-17-2006, 09:53 PM

Black 04 C230 Kompressor SS
When in auto mode, the vent selection is done automatically. you cannot select them manually. In my case it will blow out all vents with fan spped on high if set to Auto cool and cut them off progressivly as the cabin temp drops. The fan speed also reduces till it is barely s whisper. If a window or door is opened the fan increases to cool to the set temp. Hope that helps
Old 10-19-2006, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by SeanSBA
when you put it on auto, the airflow is automatically controlled and it is dependent on the temperature you set. for example, if you set it to 78 degrees in the winter, it should blow towards the feet too
So what's the rhyme and reason to this?

When it is blowing warm air, it distributes to ALL vents (?)
When it is blowing cold air, it distributes to only the FACE vent (?)

Just doesn't make sense to me?

Can anybody with the electronically controlled (not knobs) climate control comment if you are able to control the selection of vents when on AUTO? If they can I'd seriously consider upgrading.