C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

rear ended a car today....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 03:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally Posted by anthuny85
yea for real, i had a good 3 seconds between the car but she was doing around 50 mph and decided to stop so abrubtly, that i saw her car dip and thought someone jumped out in the road or an animal crossed, and my brakes locked and i jus slid into her. ...:
Sorry, I don't buy into this. You car's brakes could not have locked - they are equipped with ABS - or are you trying to say that Honda SUV's brakes are better than MB sedan's? I would take it if you'd rear-ended a Porsche 911 or a Lamborghini that decided to stop on a dime. Like others said - it is your own fault if you are driving too close (or too relaxed) and rear-end a car in front of you, period.

Last edited by vadim; 11-03-2006 at 07:24 AM.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003_C320
anthuny should be too relaxed at that moment or maybe his mb's brake malfunction all the sudden im sure the insurance company surely understand that.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C3Twon AWD Jumpofffff
damn i'm sorry to hear that atleast your ok tho g luck
Old 12-02-2006, 08:14 AM
Out Of Control!!

But if what he says is true...I've had an explorer outbreak me if the conditions were right (snow on the ground/dirt and the SUV has all season tires) considering there was a dirt road on the right side it could've been sand. ABS probobly did kick in but it didn't brake hard go on a road with sand/dirt on it and brake really hard.
A girl ran a red light the benz i was driving hit her but the suv to my left stopped about a foot shorter then me, I felt like my brakes locked too so i had the dealer check it out, the mechanic told me it was because of the sand the car couldn't brake hard without sliding!

Oh yeah btw it is your fault!....
lol
Old 12-02-2006, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 c230 v6 SS
she didnt claim anyways, b/c she didnt have a legit drivers license ...so scoooore...i jus had to fix my cars damage.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:18 PM

2002 MB C240 & 2004 ML 350
anthuny85...I Had a similar experience...tapped a lady in the back because she slammed brakes to make a left turn then she changed her mind and moved off, and then slammed her brakes again when she decided to make the left turn afterall. In NJ, rear driver is at fault. I owned up. cost to fix her rear bumper was less the $1000 so it didn't affect my insurance. Paid for mine out of pocket. We still called the cops. Cause, if her papers weren't correct, then you'd wouldn't have been liable.

But glad to hear you are okay.

Just stumbled on your post and you may not need any parts, but I had bought a grille from formymercedes.com and never used it. http://www.formymercedes.com/mb_resu...tegory=Grilles
Still in the plastic and box. Paid $230 excluding shipping. Will let you have a for $100. X-mas special to anyone who wants it. Happy holidays. PM me if you are interested.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
rear ended a car today....
wow, so im driving back to sacramento after visiting home for the weekend and im driving down a road with a 45 mph speed limit, im trailing along im behind a honda crv about 2-3 car lengths, the lady in the car ahead was coming up to the rail road tracks and all of a sudden saw the lights come on and she dime stopped right in front of me i slammed my brakes, and her spare tire on the back hit my car, i was soo pissed<.........>
you hit her because you were following too close...and you presumed too much.
nowdays, with the prolification of low profile tires, lowered cars, etc i just dont
presume anyone will "could have easily gone through it..." regardless of whether
or not they could, you're presumtion and lack of proper response ultimately
created the accident. glad however, that things ended up as moderate as it did.

Last edited by raymond g-; 12-03-2006 at 01:36 AM.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by raymond g-
you hit her because you were following too close...and you presumed too much.
nowdays, with the prolification of low profile tires, lowered cars, etc i just dont
presume anyone will "could have easily gone through it..." regardless of whether
or not they could, you're presumtion and lack of proper response ultimately
created the accident. glad however, that things ended up as moderate as it did.
raymond g...are you stating the my "presumption and lack of proper response ultimately created the accident?" Or, are you refering to the original poster?

My post clearly stated that "I owned up." And, if the statement is directed to me, then it is presumptive on your part that I was following too closely. I wasn't. I was at fault for hitting the person in front of my because I was distracted by my children and when she slammed her brakes the first time, I stopped easily. When she moved off, I looked back at the kids (told them to stop fighting) and incorrectly assumed that when the driver in front drove off the second time she was not going to slam her brakes again.

By turning my head and looking back at the kids, I created the accident by assuming she wouldn't stop. My fault. Not because I was too close, but because I did what many drivers (including you) do, which is to make assumptions...whether is it looking at the radio, nav, cell, accident on the other side of the road, the rear view mirror, yada yada yada. Then again, let he without sin cast the first stone. Hurl away.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
sorry, T. i was responding to orig post. should have quoted. muh bad.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by raymond g-
sorry, T. i was responding to orig post. should have quoted. muh bad.
No need...I totally understand. Been there before. For the record, I've hit a few rear bumpers in my past...and no matter how pissed I am that the fool in front of me caused me to hit them, it always came down to the fact that I was either too close, not paying attention, or simply assuming what the driver in front would do...So, I understand and agree with your post.

I've also had people hit me...most recently 2 weeks ago in my ML350...just got it back yesterday.

I keep forgetting you guys are on the West Coast...It's late here on the East so signing off for now.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:39 PM

Wow... Sorry about the accident, but if you rear-end someone, it's completely your fault. Doesn't matter if she doesn't have papers or is an otherwise awful driver. You were following too close for conditions. If she had an international driver's license, then she is legal. Cops came down, you'd get the ticket. If she was not legally driving, you'd both get a ticket.

If someone brakes for a little mouse that crosses the road, that's fine. I probably wouldn't (I would try to avoid it, thus, would probably hit it ), but if you rear end someone like that, quit your tailgating.

Biggest pet peeve are tail gaters. I drive at normal speeds and stay in the right lane. And there's a special place in hell for people who drive slow in the fast lane. But don't tail gate them--doesn't make them go faster. Pass on the right and flip them off.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 c230 v6 SS
i wish i could have video taped this incident...i wasnt tailgating her. i dont tail gate like a ricer. so everyone chill out...

second...she could have went thru it...she didnt have low profile tires..she wasnt lowered she was driving a god damn 95 crv. going as fast as i was (which was the speed limit) i would have coasted over it without braking, and im lowered and have low profile tires...it wasnt crossing the grand canyon, it was going over a smooth edged railroad track.

i KNOW it was still my fault...but her driving skills were not up to par regardless of what anyone says..and who would know besides me...b/c i saw what happened...

anyways, whatever lol everythings done and my cars been fixed for a month now...thanks for the support and critiques.