C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

rear ended a car today....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 04:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 c230 v6 SS
rear ended a car today....

wow, so im driving back to sacramento after visiting home for the weekend and im driving down a road with a 45 mph speed limit, im trailing along im behind a honda crv about 2-3 car lengths, the lady in the car ahead was coming up to the rail road tracks and all of a sudden saw the lights come on and she dime stopped right in front of me i slammed my brakes, and her spare tire on the back hit my car, i was soo pissed. she was an asian lady from china and had only been in the states for a month and had a international permit. barely spoke english. god, it jus sucked she jus got scared and slammed her brakes when she could have easily gone thru it. after i got out my car the hands started coming down. her car had a little scuff on the spare tire cover, well mine. impact/side marker strip has a little nudge in it and gouge a little spot above on the bumper, and my carbon style avantgarde grille is smashed and broken and my hood is all bent up. i could jus get a new hood and some euro strips and throw on my old grille. and be okay, luckily my headlight didnt break. i bet if the spare tire wasnt ther i wouldnt have had nearly as much damage. ahhhhh this car is becoming bad *** luck. i have had too many fender benders in this car already. ahh sucky, well if you guys know where i can get a good deal on some parts lemme know. im thinking of getting a carbon fiber hood and jus painting over it and leaving the engine breather section in carbon. and then paint my old 3 slat grille all black. im gonna look into the eurostrips for sure ,probably since i was planning on painting my side markers anyways. ****ty day for sure, its the last thing i needed this week.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Stage 2 C7 A6, QX60
sorry to hear that
but glad ithat you are ok and t's just some minor parts that needs to be repaired
Old 10-23-2006, 04:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sorry to hear about the accident anthuny. Just glad it wasn't worst than it was. Even though I'm Asian I'd have to admit most Asian females can't drive worth a damn.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:12 AM

'01 ML430, '03 C320 Coupe MT, '14 GL450
Originally Posted by anthuny85
and she dime stopped right in front of me i slammed my brakes, and her spare tire on the back hit my car, i was soo pissed. she was an asian lady from china and had only been in the states for a month and had a international permit. barely spoke english.
Sorry to hear about your accident, but if you drive into the back of someone, it's your fault, and that's it.

Around the area where I drive, people have no clue about a safe following distance, and if you try to keep a safe following distance, people keep cutting in front of you. BTW, I've always been told a safe following distance is 2 seconds, which is much farther than most people drive. Go do the math.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
ah crap, sorry to hear about that ant! glad your ok.

how much do you think all this would cost you?
Old 10-23-2006, 10:33 AM

C320 Coupe
damn this suck, as for the spare tires, it's the hardest part on the car, so when those jeep got into accident rear ended, the spare tires impact into the back of the car, and if someone is sitting at the back they mostly die. Anyways, i hate all the SUV and jeep, cuz they also block my damn view while they can be up there and blocking everyone's view
Old 10-23-2006, 11:27 AM

Mercedes is gone physically, but still in my heart.
Similar thing happened to me a few months ago. Some lady was at the stop sign ahead of me and there was maybe 10 seconds before a car either way was going to pass, she had atleast 2 football fields between the closest cars and she crept forward and I started to roll forward then for no reason, with no cars close she slammed on her brakes and I tapped the back of her. No damage was done but I gave her a mouthful. Some people just don't know how to drive and just as people who drive drunk shouldn't be allowed on the road, people who physically can't drive shouldn't be allowed either.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is SOLD
sorry to hear what happened. at least it wasn't bad enough where you or someone else was injured.

i bought euro impact strips so im going to be selling my stock ones with color matched bumper lenses.

i found this on ebay that should match your rear diffuser mod!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-06...40217857QQrdZ1
Old 10-23-2006, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 c230 v6 SS
yea for real, i had a good 3 seconds between the car but she was doing around 50 mph and decided to stop so abrubtly, that i saw her car dip and thought someone jumped out in the road or an animal crossed, and my brakes locked and i jus slid into her. sucks. not saying it wasnt my fault, but it wasnt entirely, and i understand since i rear ended her theres no butts about it, its jus inexperienced driving, she could have easily have gone thru. im surprised the car behind me didnt slam me from behind. MAJOR damage is in the hood, i have to replace it, its all bent up and creased. my grille, white203, well i have my old one and prolly will have my paint guy shoot it black, and i jus gotta get a new impact strip or get eurostrips, ill keep ur impact strips in mind, how much do u want for em?. also fix a little paint damage that prolly can be blended by a body shop on the bumper by the impact strip. so im guessing all together its gonna cost like 7-1000 for fixing. i got a wholesale hookup so it should run too much, but since this happened i might get some other things painted fixed that ive been meaning to do. im waiting on the lady to call to claim on the accident, but i tried calling and a guy answered and said he didnt own such a car that was involved in the accident lol? so i guess i jus gotta wait for them to call.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C55
sorry to hear.
there are a lot of asians where i am (vancouver), myself included and it's so true, asian drivers are terrible. esp. older ones. at least no one is hurt.

Last edited by 14cue; 10-24-2006 at 01:03 AM.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A box on 4 wheels
Originally Posted by kokketiel
Sorry to hear about your accident, but if you drive into the back of someone, it's your fault, and that's it.
And that's where the insurance fraud trick comes into place, I've actually seen people try to get rear ended so they can get their "already damaged' bumper replaced.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:51 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 C230 coupe
Same story here in Toronto, alot of Asians who shouldn't be driving but are !! The funny part is you see alot of them driving high end cars and they have no clue how to drive them. I had a case a couple of weeks ago where I was behind a car waiting to make a left turn at a light, when the light turned green the driver in front did not move into the intersection, he waited until the light turned yellow to go, I followed behind and in the middle of the intersection with the light turning red the driver decides to slam on his brakes, luckily I didn't rear end him but I had my horn blaring !! Then after we made our turn I tried to pass him so that I could "wave" at him and he cuts me off, I had to slam on my brakes so that I wouldn't hit him. After finally passing him and "waving" at him we came to a stop, side by side where his wife in the back seat started screaming and swearing at me !!! lol. I then decided to call her every profanity that I could think of while her husband wouldn't even look my way !! I guess I don't have to tell you what nationality these "people" were. I don't think that the driver of the Protege 5 will be reading this but if you are, you are a complete *#F@ hole, I can understand a person making a mistake and causing an accident but when you purposely try to cause a collision (twice) then you shouldn't be allowed on the streets.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:37 AM

C320 Coupe
yea for real, i had a good 3 seconds between the car but she was doing around 50 mph and decided to stop so abrubtly, that i saw her car dip and thought someone jumped out in the road or an animal crossed, and my brakes locked and i jus slid into her. sucks. not saying it wasnt my fault, but it wasnt entirely, and i understand since i rear ended her theres no butts about it, its jus inexperienced driving, she could have easily have gone thru. im surprised the car behind me didnt slam me from behind. MAJOR damage is in the hood, i have to replace it, its all bent up and creased. my grille, white203, well i have my old one and prolly will have my paint guy shoot it black, and i jus gotta get a new impact strip or get eurostrips, ill keep ur impact strips in mind, how much do u want for em?. also fix a little paint damage that prolly can be blended by a body shop on the bumper by the impact strip. so im guessing all together its gonna cost like 7-1000 for fixing. i got a wholesale hookup so it should run too much, but since this happened i might get some other things painted fixed that ive been meaning to do. im waiting on the lady to call to claim on the accident, but i tried calling and a guy answered and said he didnt own such a car that was involved in the accident lol? so i guess i jus gotta wait for them to call.
that's why i tend to pass every slow car in front of me. Cuz usually the elder people or women will drive SLOW, worse part is when they drive on PASSING LANE. Anyways, passing them will be safer, that's my point.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 c230 v6 SS
yea i wish i could have passed, but it was a one way road. lol i was tempted to swerve left b/c i was sure no one was coming , but i didnt want to risk it and get slammed by on coming traffic, the right side was all sloped dirt road, and my cars lowered i didnt want to veer off and lose traction and slam into the rail road barriers.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 175 Likes on 145 Posts
me: 2015 SL400 & 2015 ML400; wife: 2022 GLC Coupe kid: 2017 GLC SUV
.....im surprised the car behind me didnt slam me from behind.......
hmmmmm, what could possibly explain that?
Old 10-24-2006, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 c230 v6 SS
?...explain what...the car in front of me did a sudden stop, its called a domino effect. kinda like this...
Old 10-24-2006, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 C32 ///AMG
sorry to hear that bro

a cf hood would look hott on your car....especially with a black roof
Old 10-24-2006, 11:09 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
sucks to hear that, but any time anyone rear end the car in front means you're following too close. I'd just pass slow cars instead of tail-gating because trust me the person in front of you doesn't want to see someone plow into them. It's more scary getting hit then crashing into things.

CF hood and black grille will do
Old 10-25-2006, 03:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 c230 v6 SS
hmm cf hood, jus reminds me of my civic, maybe if i had a black car, im proly gonna end up painting my oem grille black since my carbon style one is broke to shats. lol why does everyone keep saying that i needed to pass the car lol, it was a one way road and she stopped HARD for a train crossing, but i for sure wasnt tail gaiting her.

on another note, what do u guys think about a brabus dual fog light style bumper replacement instead of having mine repainted and new impact strips, what can a replica go for?
Old 10-25-2006, 08:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 175 Likes on 145 Posts
me: 2015 SL400 & 2015 ML400; wife: 2022 GLC Coupe kid: 2017 GLC SUV
....im surprised the car behind me didnt slam me from behind.....
Originally Posted by eddieo45
hmmmmm, what could possibly explain that?
?...explain what...the car in front of me did a sudden stop, its called a domino effect. kinda like this...
If the car behind you didn't hit you (end of domino effect), there must've been a reason. either they were keeping a safer distance, or paying closer attention. think about it.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W220 M113K
Originally Posted by C240Style
Similar thing happened to me a few months ago. Some lady was at the stop sign ahead of me and there was maybe 10 seconds before a car either way was going to pass, she had atleast 2 football fields between the closest cars and she crept forward and I started to roll forward then for no reason, with no cars close she slammed on her brakes and I tapped the back of her. No damage was done but I gave her a mouthful. Some people just don't know how to drive and just as people who drive drunk shouldn't be allowed on the road, people who physically can't drive shouldn't be allowed either.
agreed
Old 11-02-2006, 01:11 PM

R350
Let's all keep in mind what the Germans must think of us Americans as drivers. Also, I do not agree with the stereotype of Asian drivers being dangerous on the road. Are there horrible Asian drivers? Sure. But there are also horrible White, Hispanic, Black, Indian, Mix-race, whatever, drivers. More importantly, I have to point out the distinction between driving "well" and driving "while following rules of the road".

Asians tend to not follow rules as rigorously as Americans in general. Particularly susceptible are immigrants from countries where road rules are not enforced. For example, in my home country of Taiwan, it is regular practice to ignor traffic lights in some areas. Needless to say, you often see many Taiwan immigrants driving as if no one else is on the road. But not all Asians fall under this category. In a more civil-minded Asian society, Hong Kong for example, we see drivers following rules more rigorously and being, in general, very good drivers. Take an average American driver and put him on the road in Hong Kong, then watch him **** in his pants because he has no idea how to follow the complicated traffic patterns.

My point is that we must not buy into the common stereotype that anyone, Asian or not, is automatically a bad driver due to his/her race. Rather, it has to do with how everyone need to respect the road and other drivers. So if you were to say Asians are not following rules, I would concur. But as to Asians being bad drivers as in "badly-skilled", I disagree.

Finally, American laws are very relaxed about the training required before one gets on the road. Consequently, the speed limits are set low because the assumption is that people have no idea how to drive properly. Therefore, even if you are the best driver in the world, you pass other drivers or speed through traffic at your own risk - and you are the one not following the rules. If you are not happy about the system (as I am too!), call up your congressman and demand a change. This is a free country, and we have the freedom to demand what we like. If, one day, we can all band together and demand tougher mandatory training requirements, more strigent enforcement of actual driving on the road etc., that is the day when the crappy drivers will be off the road (Asian or not) and we will all be happier drivers.

Sorry for the tirade, I was in a b*tching mood. Peace yo.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 c230 v6 SS
on a happier note, i believe the other party has not claimed the accident, most likely due to the fact that they didnt have legit papers to be able to drive in california. second, my cars in the shop and i get it back tomarrow wooooooooot.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:09 PM

01' C320
hey i know how u feel
Old 11-02-2006, 06:45 PM

R350
on a happier note, i believe the other party has not claimed the accident, most likely due to the fact that they didnt have legit papers to be able to drive in california. second, my cars in the shop and i get it back tomarrow wooooooooot.
Oh that is just wrong, a blatant disregard for the law. People like that should be thrown in jail. Don't get me wrong about my previous post, I feel really bad your situation. My post was mainly targeted toward the "Asian" comments in this thread.

Did the cops show up? I hope they did and drag the lady's *** to jail.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: rear ended a car today....