C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

America's Tire scratched my wheels!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05' C230K S.S.
America's Tire scratched my wheels!

Dude, so I go into America's Tire right to have a new set o' shoes put on the front & they said 45 min. tops to put them on....I've never been there for less than 2 hours for tires, anyway, so the punk *** kid mounting the rims back on the car encounters a problem to which I was not notified, I could see him through the little service window trying to force the wheel back on, he couldn't so he grabs another punk *** kid & they discuss (what I believe to be video games) while pointing at my coilovers, well, they proceeded to force the tire on anyway & I drive off...a couple minutes later I can see & smell smoke coming from the front passenger wheel well, so like a moron I call the shop & ask them if it's normal, I thought that maybe they put some kind of coating on the tire that maybe burns off after the first few miles? They said no & to bring it back, so under inspection we find that the coilover perch had some how wiggled loose & lowered itself further thus rubbing on the tire & subsequently cutting a 1/4" gouge around the entire inside of the tire radius, hence the smoke, I figured it wasen't their fault that the coilover was loose & had lowered itself, but that it was their fault that they forced the tire on anyways even knowing that something was wrong & causing the premature tire wear, they didn't even advise me of the possible situation when I left the first time, I should have asked though, I made the mistake in thinking that there are still professionals out there working on cars. Anyways they agreed to give me a free replacement tire but that was 2 weeks ago that they ordered it & still no word, when I ordered the 2 front tire initially it took all of 1 day for them to recieve them, does that sound fishy or what? To make matters worse they scratched the hell out of one of my rims with their pneumatic air wrenches & the manager wasen't there to see it the first time so I'm gonna go over there today and see if they'll replace it, does anybody have any experience with scratched rims by them & replacing them? I need to know for replacement what bolt pattern & offset the front rims are, they're 19" Brabus Monobloc VI replicas that were on the car prior to my purchase of it, I don't know the brand of the replicas either, any ideas on where I can find some?
Old 11-06-2006, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've not had the best experience with them either. They damaged the rotors on my wife's CR-V by overtightening the lugnuts. They paid for new rotors but it was annoying to have to deal with it. I now only buy from a small local tire shop, word of mouth sort of place, great prices, good work. Crappy waiting room and dirty shop, that's how you know it's got to be good. Just had the SLK tires, 17", $387 OTD for 4 tires including mounting and balancing.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:04 PM

2006 C230SS & 2009 E350
When I purchased rims for my mitsu. eclipse a few years ago at America's tires Cerritos, they were pretty good. I guess because I kept telling them if they scratch the rims, I'd want a new one. In my opinion, I never trust these kids eventhough we think they are professional. Everytime I get the tire replaced to any tires shop, I always and always tell them that if they make the scratch to the rims, I want it replaced. So they always been very very careful. I hate being ****, but it's for the best and less headache in the end. Again, it's your rims and your money.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:53 PM
RES

2005 C55, 1988 260E, 2000 Chevrolet Silverado
Ive had this problem with several tire shops. What is worse is when you come in with your tires you purchased through Tire Rack and they get all pissy and don't take care of your rims. I finally found a guy at one tire store that takes care of my stuff personally. I always buy him a drink when I come in and get him cards and gift certificates around the holidays. Its funny that you have to do stuff like that in this day and age. In the past you would normally get good service mosy places you go, but now service has gotten so bad. I don't know how some places stay in business.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:37 PM

2009 C300, 2009 B200
My friend has bad experience with some local tire shops here too. He brought some new tires to this shop to have them mount on his rims but the dude scratched one of his rims and did not admit it. After my friend posted how that shop scratched his rims and did not admit it's their fault on some of the local forums, they threatened my friend and the boss's son pushed my friend over when he went to negotiate with them. :S
I agree that dirty shops with crappy waiting rooms are the good stuff.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
You have every right to be very upset! I too was a victim of poor work from America's Tire. Seems they just don't care, as evidenced by their derelict work on your clean ride. After having a wheel come loose (at speed) from improper torque, I vowed to never subject myself to them again. They tend to appeal to price shoppers who want to get it (the service process) over with as quickly as possible.

I've found a local independent who takes pride in their work. They do what it takes to complete the job properly. A thorough inspection while "under there." Perfect balance. Proper torque. No grease stains. Friendly and professional. They know I'm a car nut who expects the finest available products and workmanship. The owners and techs know their trade well. The Mrs. bakes cookies for 'em during the holidays, and I tip (and personally thank) the tire busters. It's just part of establishing and ensuring a good, ongoing business relationship. I've sent them a lot of business over the years, and it has always been a pleasant experience. They are not the cheapest in town, but I always feel it's money well spent and drive away with confidence and peace of mind...
Old 11-06-2006, 11:33 PM

'05 White W203
I'm guessin that America's Tire and the Canadian Tire (aka Crappy Tire) are probably sister companies..if not the same company...they are not that great up here either...i would only deal with them as a last resort..
Old 11-08-2006, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

"Double Stuff" SOLD | Nor*Cals "Pesky Audi"
at least this didnt happen....

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30674
Old 11-08-2006, 06:25 PM

2002 C230 K, 6 speed
Originally Posted by BadAssC230k
Now that's seek!!!
Old 11-10-2006, 02:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 C230 SS, 2000 1.8t Passat, Crown Vic with lights on roof
I had an issue with them up here in Nor Cal.Bay Area last year when I replaced all my OEM tires on our 05 C230...the dumb *** kids doing the install initially put one of the front tires/wheels on the rear they didn't even notice the staggered sizes, the car was all lopsided looking ...I raise hell with them and they change it around, while doing so the stupid *** lets the front wheel drop on it's face the wheels gets all scratched and i'm ready pop a 40cal. in his *** ...I complain to the asst mgr. and they send the wheel to a refinisher, meanwhile I go home with a donut spare tire on the car, a week later I get the wheel back but it looked like crap...I called the area headquarters and tell them my story, they really took care of it all, I ended up with a brand new OEM wheel, they gave me the refinished wheel with another brand new 225/45-17 matching tire to use as a spare to calm me down...