Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Engine Oil At Next Refueling

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Today, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,703 Likes on 1,260 Posts
2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
Check Engine Oil At Next Refueling

NOTE: I'm posting here because this forum gets a lot of technical interest.

I changed my oil yesterday and within 2-3 minutes of driving (not sitting idle), I get the message Check Engine Oil At Next Refueling. I did this on my M276 3.0 liter biturbo. I drained about 6.7 liters and filled back in 6 quarts and figured I would top off once the oil was well circulated. I did check the oil level and added ½ quart to put the level toward the top of the measuring area. I have NEVER had this happen in the 3 years and nearly 30,000 miles I have owned the car. I did, however, use a new oil filer housing, so I may put the old one back on.

There's been discussion about this in the C63 forum, but the discussion was inconclusive. The odd thing about such a message is that there is no sense of a real emergency. If I had a full tank, next refueling could be a week or so.

There were no store or active codes when I ran a scan. The message disappeared when cycling the car. So, my question is, should I be worried? What do we know about this message?

Old Today, 10:21 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,627 Likes on 2,233 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by JettaRed
NOTE: I'm posting here because this forum gets a lot of technical interest.

I changed my oil yesterday and within 2-3 minutes of driving (not sitting idle), I get the message Check Engine Oil At Next Refueling. I did this on my M276 3.0 liter biturbo. I drained about 6.7 liters and filled back in 6 quarts and figured I would top off once the oil was well circulated. I did check the oil level and added ½ quart to put the level toward the top of the measuring area. I have NEVER had this happen in the 3 years and nearly 30,000 miles I have owned the car. I did, however, use a new oil filer housing, so I may put the old one back on.

There's been discussion about this in the C63 forum, but the discussion was inconclusive. The odd thing about such a message is that there is no sense of a real emergency. If I had a full tank, next refueling could be a week or so.

There were no store or active codes when I ran a scan. The message disappeared when cycling the car. So, my question is, should I be worried? What do we know about this message?

That is strange, this usually means the engine oil level detected is too low. As our engines don't have an electronic oil sensor that detects overfill (at least not that I am aware of) it does alert when oil is too low (as far as I know.)
Old Today, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
Mine could have been a little low since the oil was close to the bottom of the dipstick, but still showing. When this first happened, I was going uphill a bit, but the second time was after I added oil.

Strange that it happened after changing the oil and using a new oil filter cap/housing.
Old Today, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 326 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
I assume consensus is that this is not related to disconnecting oil pump solenoid awhile back (per an other thread), correct?
The following users liked this post:
Baltistyle (Today)
Old Today, 10:58 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,084 Likes on 1,455 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Could be bad sensor

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...d-warning.html
Old Today, 12:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by threeMBs
I assume consensus is that this is not related to disconnecting oil pump solenoid awhile back (per an other thread), correct?
Definitely has nothing to do with it. These engines don't even have an oil pressure sensor.
Old Today, 01:06 PM
Out Of Control!!

this would be the first report of anything like this that I have seen after unplugging

Trending Topics

Old Today, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Could be, and perhaps is. But that thread was about oil pressure, not oil level.
Old Today, 01:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

Could be, and perhaps is. But that thread was about oil pressure, not oil level.
Sure thing, so what you're saying with your italics is that they are misusing the term oil pressure sr sensor and oil level sensor.

Last edited by PeterUbers; Today at 01:18 PM.
CaliBenzDriver (Today)
Old Today, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,527 Likes on 2,349 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
RAIN THROUGH CONNECTOR SEALS

... or a combination of leaky sensor and "oil-in-harness" or swamped connections (*).

I have only seen the oil level sensor on EPC parts diagrams.

Save your new oil jugs, you may reuse them to drain new oil out . This is an invitation to go remove the middle belly pan and add a magnetic drain plug while at it.

+++++ HEAVY RAIN...
I recall recently JR saying he was driving in a heavy summer storm... Here!

I know MB harness connectors seals are ineffective at stopping water (BlindSpots radar killer!).

Here I bet 80% chance the oil level connector got soaked. This read like an invitation for all of us to be proactive.

This is also what causes odd connection failures located down low :
  • A/C compressor duty-control valve
  • A/C pressure sensor at condenser
  • Electrical Steering Rack (silicone!!)
  • (rusted main GND strap)
  • Exposed front bumper connector on right side
  • Headlight connectors
  • Winshshield washer tank

I also bet the oil level data is going to be heavily doctored by ECU to prevent false trigger for up-hill/down-hill variations. So may not be easy to correlate scanner datastream.

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; Today at 02:54 PM.
Old Today, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This has nothing to do with disconnecting oil pump solenoid. I've had it disconnected on this car since last November and 6500 miles ago.

As mentioned, I installed a new oil filter housing (the black upside-down cup thing that holds the filter element). Nothing was wrong with the old one but thought it might be prudent since the car is 10 years old. So this morning, I checked the oil and it was full to just a little above/touching the max level. But once starting the car, turning off, and letting it sit an hour or so, the oil was at the bottom of the dipstick. I removed the new housing, swapped the new filter over, and put the old one back on. My wife and I took a drive on both the highway and back roads, making several stops. We probably put about 100 miles on the car. NO MESSAGE. I'm beginning to think it was the new housing, but not sure why. Maybe the anti-drain valve was too stiff? Gonna keep an eye on it.

Last edited by JettaRed; Today at 06:18 PM.
threeMBs (Today)
Old Today, 06:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

This has nothing to do with disconnecting oil pump solenoid. I've had it disconnected on this car since last November and 6500 miles ago.

As mentioned, I installed a new oil filter housing (the black upside-down cup thing that holds the filter element). Nothing was wrong with the old one but thought it might be prudent since the car is 10 years old. So this morning, I checked the oil and it was full to just a little above/touching the max level. But once starting the car, turning off, and letting it sit an hour or so, the oil was at the bottom of the dipstick. I removed the new housing, swapped the new filter over, and put the old one back on. My wife and I took a drive on both the highway and back roads, making several stops. We probably put about 100 miles on the car. NO MESSAGE. I'm beginning to think it was the new housing, but not sure why. Maybe the anti-drain valve was too stiff? Gonna keep an eye on it.
Does it have anything to do with the oil bypass valve of the new one?
Old Today, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
That's what I am thinking. Strange as it may be for a new Genuine Mercedes part, that valve may have slowed the return of oil to the pan too much. I tried pressing in it and it felt really stiff. However, this morning when I removed it, there was no oil spilling all over the place. The filter was saturated but any oil in the housing had drained back down overnight.
Old Today, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
As I think about it, I don't know how the bypass valve would cause this. However, what I do know is that the bypass valve is the only moving part to the housing and the message has never appeared with the old housing. This could be completely coincidental, but when you change something (the housing) and there is a new effect, it kinda points to what you changed.
Old Today, 09:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

That's what I am thinking. Strange as it may be for a new Genuine Mercedes part, that valve may have slowed the return of oil to the pan too much. I tried pressing in it and it felt really stiff. However, this morning when I removed it, there was no oil spilling all over the place. The filter was saturated but any oil in the housing had drained back down overnight.
As I think about it, I don't know how the bypass valve would cause this. However, what I do know is that the bypass valve is the only moving part to the housing and the message has never appeared with the old housing. This could be completely coincidental, but when you change something (the housing) and there is a new effect, it kinda points to what you changed.
I see, yes perhaps.