MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W203) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203-3/)
-   -   We Coupe BOSE users got STIFFED! (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/17195-we-coupe-bose-users-got-stiffed.html)

peet 09-10-2002 09:02 PM

We Coupe BOSE users got STIFFED!

I got a C320 loaner today, man talk about a sound difference!

What is the deal with that?! I understand automotive acoustics - probably better than the average guy - but I can't see the cabin making THAT much difference.

Are there more speaks?! Can we adapt coupe to be the same?

Buel: will audio 10 sound like this? (I hear you've sampled many models through your service dept. :D )

I'm sure it's been debated, but I feel robbed!

young 09-10-2002 09:07 PM

well, there is a cost difference between the 2 models... coupsters get D-rings! :D

personally, i'm ok w/ the bose (as long as i don't hear anything better ;))

revstriker 09-10-2002 09:13 PM

I believe the C320 does have more speakers. Maybe someone can confirm this.

Buellwinkle 09-10-2002 09:13 PM

Re: We coupe bose users got STIFFED!

Originally posted by peet

Buel: will audio 10 sound like this? (I hear you've sampled many models through your service dept. :D )

You can't compare the cassette radio on the C320 (or the Command radio) to the Audio 10, night and day difference. That's the only part about loaners that bug me, listening to that crap cassette radio. The Audio 10 is way better. More balanced sound and way more bass.

Kal Rubinson 09-10-2002 10:15 PM

On the one hand, I have never heard a car system that sounded as accurate and balanced as a really good home system (and I have heard the Levinson/Lexus and other touted ones). On the other, that means that I have lower expectations and, since I cannot pay adequate attention to the music while I drive, my requirements are more modest.

That said, the system in my C320 is as good as any stock system I've owned. Some have had more bass but poorer integration of that bass. If the Audio 10 is better, good, but there's no need for more bass for the music I listen to.

BTW, although I review audio equipment (sort of) professionally, I lease my cars and, therefore, I am limited in what I could do IF I wanted to. For me, adding the CD changer will suffice.

C230K 09-10-2002 10:30 PM

Check out the Volvo sound system, my Volvo S60 has 10 speakers and sounds great, with excellent bass. This is a stock system for the S60 2.4T.

Kal Rubinson 09-10-2002 10:35 PM

Originally posted by C230K
Check out the Volvo sound system, my Volvo S60 has 10 speakers and sounds great, with excellent bass. This is a stock system for the S60 2.4T.
Well, I did test-drive the car when I was shopping but, y'know, I never turned the audio on. As I said, my expectations and needs are such that car audio is a very minor consideration.

peet 09-10-2002 11:10 PM

Don't get me wrong... the audio is completely secondary. But hey, lets pick the nits. I agree that home audio is first and well, whenever you have room to put multiple subs, 5' high racks of amps you'll get better sound. In fact my home theater setup (excluding tv) probably weighs less than my car!

My previous car had much done to it - a/d/s 840 and 4100 amps driving 14 speakers including dual voice coil solid aluminum 12" subs. The front doors both had special spherical drivers that created a beautiful image - the rest of the speakers were 'mere' a/d/s mid-line components.

All this driven by Sony's high-end C90 deck feeding into a 4000X EQ/DSP that time shifted the signal from each component so that all the sound from all of the speakers arrived at the driver's head at the same time.

Sooo... all that having been said, bose sucks. Audio 10 sucks. But it will do just fine - until I get the itch again ;)

BTW my audio 10 showed up today. As soon as my MP3 RF feed stuff shows up, I tear in!

grn300m 09-10-2002 11:51 PM

My previous car had much done to it - a/d/s 840 and 4100 amps driving 14 speakers including dual voice coil solid aluminum 12" subs. The front doors both had special spherical drivers that created a beautiful image - the rest of the speakers were 'mere' a/d/s mid-line components.
You can't compare any factory installed sound systems to an after market system. Your last car had 14 speakers, what car company installs a system like that. I wouldn't pay for it. But hey, you can think about that old 14 speaker system while your being fitted for your first set of hearing aids.

I think the Bose sounds much better than the stock system, which is the intent. I think that my 300M does sound a bit better at low to mid volume, however the C230 Bose handles the louder volumes without much distortion.

timorgan 09-11-2002 12:36 AM

Speakers in Coupe vs. Sedan

I asked this question a few months ago...

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...upe+Bose+Specs

There are ten speakers in the Sedan. Info direct from Bose:
1 x 2" center fill in dash
2 x 1.5" tweeter in mirror patches
2 x 6.5" wide-range in frt. door
2 x 2" tweeters, mounted coaxially with...
2 x 6.5" wide-range in rear doors
1 x 9" low-mass Nd TM woofer in package shelf

There are eight speakers in the Coupe. Again, from Bose:
1 x 3" center fill in dash (why larger than sedan I don't know)
2 x 6.5" wide-range in frt part of door
2 x 6.5" wide-range in rear part of door
1 x 4x6" woofer in rt side trunk trim

Kal Rubinson 09-11-2002 10:56 AM

Don't get me wrong... the audio is completely secondary. But hey, lets pick the nits. I agree that home audio is first and well, whenever you have room to put multiple subs, 5' high racks of amps you'll get better sound. In fact my home theater setup (excluding tv) probably weighs less than my car!
This is not a criticism of your statement with which I agree. However, it is the relating of multiple subs and racks of amps with quality is exactly what I find reprehensible about car audio. My home systems probably weigh more than some minicars but I can put together one that's small, light and cheap and, given that it is in a decent room (of the type for which recordings are mixed and balanced), will reproduce a musical event far better than is possible with any equipment in a car. (N.B.: If you are using real-time DSP acoustic correction, I withdraw my challenge.)

Of course, if high levels and pounding bass is mostly what you are after, go for it. Just turn it down when you pass through my neighborhood, please.

peet 09-11-2002 01:13 PM

well, this explains it...

It certainly isn't that extra pair of tweets - in the coaxial speakers.

As to my music tastes, system design etc... well I don't listen to rap, hip hop or anything along those lines. In fact my music of choice would fall in with Coltrane, Miles Davis, maybe even some Chopin.

I go for imaging, clarity, staging, and ultimately a beautifully flat EQ. That's why the system was built the way it was. If I wanted a dance/rap car... I'd have built an enclosure twice as big as mine, gone with amps by PPI or Rockford (more raunchy sound), spekaers would likely have been MB Quart (nice highs - harsh mids) instead of a/d/s and dynaudio and I'd have gone with more and smaller subs for fast travel.

One more thing, the system I did for my M was totally stealth. All factory locations were utilized and even the dyanaudio casing was painted to match the factory interior. If you ignored the head unit, in fact, you wouldn't know anything was there. The sub/amp rack took up about 1/4 of the trunk and it didn't interfere with spare tire opening or much of the storage.

P

MarkL 09-11-2002 03:37 PM

Re: Speakers in Coupe vs. Sedan

Originally posted by timorgan

2 x 6.5" wide-range in frt. door
2 x 2" tweeters, mounted coaxially with...
2 x 6.5" wide-range in rear doors

Just to add a bit to the fray, those of us w/ sedans (C240's) w/o the Bose system have found we have almost the same complement of speakers, minus the center fill and the coax tweeters in the rear doors. We do have the 9" woofer in the package shelf. When I test drove some C240's when buying mine last year, I found there wasn't much difference between the Bose and non-Bose, other than the additional equalizer settings.

Buellwinkle 09-11-2002 03:47 PM

The difference is very subtle, mostly noticed in the bottom line ($$$). I get loaners all the time (16 so far) and I've driven C240s (non-bose) and C320s (bose) and bass isn't enough for most music I listen to not matter what settings you chose. But if you like classical music or the news it probably doesn't matter. And before I get flamed, I'm an old guy, I don't listen to hip hop or like my bass so loud that the car shakes. But even listening to standards like Sinatra, Etta James, Bobby Darin I can see a huge difference between a C320 with 10 speaker Bose and the Audio 10 - non bose in my coupe. It's just a fuller, richer sound even a lower volumes. I can imagine that it even sounds better on a C320. If not for the Audio 10 I would have gone aftermarket and that's unusual for me but the cassette radio (bose or otherwise) sounds horrible to me.

preyx 09-11-2002 04:18 PM

Once I get the money I'm gonna be looking at this one: www.reusaudio.com

peet 09-11-2002 04:22 PM

Now that's like the third time I've seen this Reus thing mentioned... What's their deal? The www site sucks and one can't really tell what their product is. Anyone have other URL's that point out more?

P

preyx 09-11-2002 04:28 PM

Now that's like the third time I've seen this Reus thing mentioned... What's their deal? The www site sucks and one can't really tell what their product is. Anyone have other URL's that point out more?

P

Well, I'm probably the ONLY one that mentioned them on this forum, I saw their demo cars at the LA Auto Show last year, and the quality of the sound blew me away. They played jazz music on one of their modified Mustangs, and it was as if they were running a demo of a home theater system. The sound was crisp, clear, and did not have a tweaked-up response range (like sub-only systems are). Their emphasis is not only power, but quality as well. They offer full-replacement systems, and also augmenting systems for those who want to keep their stock speakers. I talked to them about getting a system on a C-coupe (with Bose), and they said for an augmentation system they usually add an additional amp (alongside the stock one), a sub, and a few tweeters to increase the dynamic range of the system. They gave me a quote of approx. $1200 US.

Another bonus (at least for me) is that they're based in Orange, CA, almost right next to where I live. I got a business card from them, and I hope to contact them when I have the resources to purchase a system from them.

If you got some spare time and you're in the area during January, check them out at next year's LA Auto Show, it's really impressive.

peet 09-11-2002 06:12 PM

Would you email me their person that knows the C coupe augmentation? I'd rather have a contact than going in cold. Maybe they can sell me the parts they're talking about. I mean 1200 for an amp some tweets and a sub is a pretty good price.

Thanks much!
P

preyx 09-13-2002 03:04 PM

peet, I sent you a PM with the business card info., let us know what you find out.

peet 09-13-2002 05:13 PM

Ok, the plea went out to Mr. Reuce himself. Perhaps he'll find the market opportunity of packaging a 'make the C230 sound better than a mono radio' kit attractive.

I'll update all in a new thread when I get a response!

Cheers.

P

FrankW 09-13-2002 06:58 PM

Re: Speakers in Coupe vs. Sedan

Originally posted by timorgan

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...upe+Bose+Specs

great info! I was wondering where is the last speaker i didn't count.:)

Ted 09-13-2002 11:21 PM

There is nothing wrong with the Bose audio system in the coupe. I caughed up the extra $$ and got the factory CD. It is an awsome intergrated sound system. The fiber optic conections provides a much better sound quality than that of copper wiring. Have you ever listened to a CD on a DVD player with the fiber optic digial conections ? There is a noticeable quality difference than that of a regualar CD player. It is the same concept in the car. However, the Bose system will not help FM music much because of the broadcast quality. The Bose website explains everything. In short, you get what you pay for. It looks to me that many of you cheaped out on the CD player but ended up paying more in the end.

peet 09-15-2002 02:26 PM

Sorry.. but you have 2 mistakes... 1) listening to Bose and assuming (check Benny Hill definition of that word) that they know what they're doing. 2) making a blanket statement with no knowledge of the fact at hand!

You see, even he FM section sounds better. Find a car with Audio 10 and bose and a car with a changer and cassette and bose. Put on your favorite radio station. Listen. Eat your words. Come back here with tail between legs.

Thank you.

Buellwinkle 09-15-2002 04:21 PM

Pete, I know what you mean. You can tell people the Audio 10 is better but they don't believe you, their loss. Once they sit in your car and hear it, it blows them away that changing one MB HU for another can make such a difference. Between the Audio 10 and the pulley it's made my car one huge notch better than before and certainly a more enjoyable driver.

Squish 09-15-2002 08:33 PM

Not to Kill a dead horse here, but here we go. I'm dumb because I really don't know. Anyhow, a few questions:

Does the Bose System Sound Good with the CD Changer, but not with Cassette/FM Radio, or is it just under powered???

If I got the Bose System then I got the Audio 10 Head Unit would everything still operate properly (ie amps, speakers etc.)??

Also as a side note, I remember a while back (or maybe hopeful wishing) that it was noted that when the 2003 came out they
were moving things like window switches, Bi-Xeon option, and Single CD Radio replacing cassette?? I'm not sure about
the Window switches, but I know the Bi-Xeons won't be available for at least a month or two, yet '03s are on the lot??
Maybe (again probably me dreaming) the '03s with the Bi-Xeon are a revised version of the 03's?? Okay maybe I pulling
this out of the air, but I guess I want some confirmation that I'm just dreaming??

I love the C-Coupe but I can't stand spending $30K+ on a car without a decent CD Player/Sound System. Heck, my Staurn
that cost $15K Included a fully functional CD Player (including scanning through songs) with a Decent Sound System. Not
saying a radio makes a car, but I spend an average of 20+ hours a week in my car, a decent radio/sound system is important
to my driving enjoyment. If GM can make a car with decent factory system why can't MB????

Sorry Guys I've read about 100 messages on this same subject , but I don't think this has been answered yet.