C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Coupe vs. Sedan Sound System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2002, 01:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buick Park Avenue Ultra
Coupe vs. Sedan Sound System

I've been reading all of these comments about the BOSE system in the Coupe, but what about in the Sedan?

Is it the same setup? Is the subwoofer in the same place? Is it the same amount of speakers? Are all the speakers in different places? Is it the same amp? The same wattage?

How does the BOSE sound in the Sedan compared to the Coupe?

Thanks in advance!

Tim
Old 02-28-2002, 10:37 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Previous posts on this issue by Coupsters who have driven the sedan say the Bose systems are substantially different. At least in configuration, they are different.

There are ten speakers in the Sedan. Info direct from Bose:
1 x 2" center fill in dash
2 x 1.5" tweeter in mirror patches
2 x 6.5" wide-range in frt. door
2 x 2" tweeters, mounted coaxially with...
2 x 6.5" wide-range in rear doors
1 x 9" low-mass Nd TM woofer in package shelf

There are eight speakers in the Coupe. Again, from Bose:
1 x 3" center fill in dash (why larger than sedan I don't know)
2 x 1.5" tweeter in mirror patches
2 x 6.5" wide-range in frt part of door
2 x 6.5" wide-range in rear part of door
1 x 4x6" woofer in rt side trunk trim

They both use 6 channels of "customized" equalization and Audiopilot noise compensation. (I don't know about power specs)

I completely enjoy the Bose system in my Sedan. Most of the complaints about the Bose option seem to concern woofer placement issues (in the Coupe). In the Sedan, the woofer is exposed through the package shelf and uses the entire trunk space as its enclosure. In contrast, the Coupe's side trim woofer location (with limited volume enclosure), sealed below a non-vented hatch privacy tray limits its effectiveness.

I DO have my Bass control set at Max, where it provides more than adequate Bass response. However, the same head unit controls apparently are not sufficient to compensate for the (remote) woofer location and acoustic dynamics in the Coupe.

Previous posts have gotten technical beyond all bounds of practical human hearing considerations. IMO you should go to a dealer with your fav CD and listen yourself. Opinions here are as varied as naval lint... Your personal opinion is what counts.

Last edited by MB-BOB; 02-28-2002 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-28-2002, 01:17 PM

Buick Park Avenue Ultra
Thumbs up

Thanks very much for the detailed information, MB-BOB! I really appreciate it!
Old 02-28-2002, 05:13 PM

1995 Acura
MB-BOB Lint?

I wasn't aware of the problem of lint in the Navy. With all of those blue uniforms, I can certainly understand the issue. NavEl lint on the other hand.....
Old 02-28-2002, 05:21 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
LOL! SFVideoGuy!
Old 02-28-2002, 06:06 PM

C32 AMG
I have my bass level set to 8/10. I listen to alot of hip-hop and the sound system actually can handle low frequency organ notes fairly quickly. The treble could be a little more crisp. It hits fairly hard inside the cabin, but not much outside. In other words, it is perfect for anyone inside the car, but it won't make heads turn.
Old 02-28-2002, 06:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32 AMG, Volvo S80T6
sedan sounds fine

I dont love it but I certainly think it is good. There is sufficient although not tremendous, bottom end. The highs are very good and the clarity in gerneral is very crisp. I dont find that I need to turn up the treble too much for very nice brilliance. A buddy next door has the coupe and it sounds much different. Very little bottom end although the sound is full. The sub size is significantly different as MB BOB stated, and you can notice the difference in the car.
Old 02-28-2002, 07:18 PM

Buick Park Avenue Ultra
Subwoofer

Where is the subwoofer located in the Sedan? I don't know where the "package shelf" is?

Thanks.
Old 02-28-2002, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
C230 Sports Coupe
if its like the coupe, it should be on the right side of the trunk. Check for a small door on the right side of the trunk near the tail light.
Old 02-28-2002, 08:00 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Originally posted by TimmyC230boy
if its like the coupe, it should be on the right side of the trunk. Check for a small door on the right side of the trunk near the tail light.

No, No, No... The package shelf in the Sedan is that horizontal (nearly) panel that runs from the top of the rear seats to the base of the rear windscreen. It has two speaker grills in it, one on each side. The one on the passenger side of the car is a fakie grill that is actually a hinged cover for the storage compartment that holds the onboard first aid kit. The grill on the drivers side has the woofer right below it (for both standard and Bose stereos). The Bose version has a "Bose" emblem on the grill, the only place on the car where it says "Bose" on cars so equipped.

Last edited by MB-BOB; 02-28-2002 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-28-2002, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
C230 Sports Coupe
Thanks for clearomg it up. I did know i was only speculating.
Old 02-28-2002, 10:07 PM

C32 AMG
Re: Subwoofer

Originally posted by timorgan
Where is the subwoofer located in the Sedan? I don't know where the "package shelf" is?

Thanks.
The sedan has a 9 inch woofer behind the back seat. I believe that this only comes with the Bose upgrade. Like I said b4, the base actually hits the lows nicely, but could use more power. It hits all the low frequency notes in my hip-hop collections with good clarity, but you don't feel it as if there was an after market amp & woofer.
Old 03-01-2002, 01:20 AM

Buick Park Avenue Ultra
Thumbs up Sounds good!

So would there be any way to add in another subwoofer speaker into that "fakie" grill, instead of having a first aid kit there?

Thanks for all the great info!
Old 03-01-2002, 10:54 AM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Re: Sounds good!

Originally posted by timorgan
So would there be any way to add in another subwoofer speaker into that "fakie" grill, instead of having a first aid kit there? Thanks for all the great info!
Um, possibly. I recall that the floor of the first aid kit chamber is a plastic tray, that could be cut out easy enough, or maybe it just pops out. I also don't recall whether the fakie grill has actual holes in it to admit sound, or whether it's solid. You'd have to secure it in place if you were to mount a speaker below it. Right now it's just a "lid" for the hidden compartment.

I think the real question is whether there exists a speaker-sized cutout in the metal bulkhead below. I'll have to look at that, too.

I do know that there isn't much thickness from the package shelf to the inner roof of the trunk. The existing woofer is very thin in cross section.

Yea, I suppose it could be done, with some effort. Interesting idea, timorgan.
Old 03-01-2002, 11:08 AM

C32 AMG
IMO, it would be easier to just replace the 9" woofer with a better quality 8" or 10" aftermarket one.
Old 03-01-2002, 01:12 PM

Buick Park Avenue Ultra
Thumbs up Thanks, MB-BOB

Do you think you could check it out some more, like you said? I know some cars do have two subwoofers in that back shelf (ie. my parent's car), and I think it'd make the sound that much heavier.

Maybe if you have a digital camera you could take some pictures of that area? Inside the trunk looking up, and inside the cabin, looking at the fakie grill (if you can see it).

That'd be great!

Thanks,

Tim
Old 03-01-2002, 02:27 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
timorgan, I looked at my car over lunch. The fakie grill IS perforated, and even has a fine black mesh below it, just begging for a speaker instead of a first aid kit.

The entire assembly (grille and plastic tray below) appear to be removable, if you want to pull it out and cut a hole in the bottom. But I'm not inclined to pull it out to see.

The bad news is that the sheet steel below it in the trunk is solid... no cutout to match what appears on the left side where the woofer resides. You would need some good skills to do the metal surgery needed to create the speaker mount. Not impossible, just tricky.

BTW, the left hand woofer mounts between the interior grill and the metal bulkhead (a very thin speaker). I.e. it's not attached to the bottom of the bulkhead, where it can be simply unbolted and substituted for another unit.

I don't have a digital camera, sorry.
Old 03-01-2002, 02:40 PM

C32 AMG
It's going to be a much bigger job than it appears. I bought the trunk drawer and the dealer was charging $200 to install. I said bullS$@/ the tray only cost $225. So I took the parts and had my mechanic take a look. The left track rail was easy to do, the right side took almost 4 hours. You basically have to remove the entire back seat, panels, and shelf to get underneath the firstaid kit compartment, just to bolt on two (2) screws. Now I see why they were asking $200. Just thought my experience would help you in assessing the cost of your project.

B
Old 03-01-2002, 03:08 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
That's good to know, Boo2. Thanks!!! Nothing is ever easy on these cars. But the work is FUN.
Old 03-01-2002, 06:00 PM

Buick Park Avenue Ultra
Smile Thanks!

Can always count on you guys for some helpful info. Keep it comin'!
Old 09-11-2002, 12:49 AM

Buick Park Avenue Ultra
Question

Originally posted by MB-BOB
timorgan, I looked at my car over lunch. The fakie grill IS perforated, and even has a fine black mesh below it, just begging for a speaker instead of a first aid kit.

The entire assembly (grille and plastic tray below) appear to be removable, if you want to pull it out and cut a hole in the bottom. But I'm not inclined to pull it out to see.

The bad news is that the sheet steel below it in the trunk is solid... no cutout to match what appears on the left side where the woofer resides. You would need some good skills to do the metal surgery needed to create the speaker mount. Not impossible, just tricky.

BTW, the left hand woofer mounts between the interior grill and the metal bulkhead (a very thin speaker). I.e. it's not attached to the bottom of the bulkhead, where it can be simply unbolted and substituted for another unit.

I don't have a digital camera, sorry.
Has anyone given this a try?

Tim
Old 09-11-2002, 04:13 PM

'02 C230K Coupe
Here's an idea: get dual-12" subwoofers with an enclosure that has the ports in the top. Remove the partition between the trunk and the passenger compartment, point the bass ports upwards at the rear windshield, and no more low-bass problems... except for the problem of loud bass...