C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

thinking about buying this command

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 C55
thinking about buying this command

i have been tempted to buy a command for a long time. i really would like to purchase one from steve but he only has New units and the price is quite high. i know there are differences with euro vs us spec...

this is the cheapest one i have found to date: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...DME:L:RTQ:CA:1

anyone with experience with these suckers from ebay? the seller claims it is plug and play but from my research i highly doubt that it is. i dont want to be stuck with a unit that requires additional wires.

thanks in advance and happy holidays peeps
Old 12-25-2006, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, that's a great deal. Don't know about plug and play for the DVD comands, the CD comands required that you changed a connector but not difficult and both I'm sure require you to install the antenna and most deals don't include the antenna. Programming is required from the dealer if you want it to display directions on the MFD, otherwise it should work out of the box.
Old 12-25-2006, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C55
Originally Posted by Buellwinkle
Wow, that's a great deal. Don't know about plug and play for the DVD comands, the CD comands required that you changed a connector but not difficult and both I'm sure require you to install the antenna and most deals don't include the antenna. Programming is required from the dealer if you want it to display directions on the MFD, otherwise it should work out of the box.
i figured as much. im just waiting on some higher res photos. from your experience how much are the antennas? you wouldnt happen to have the part number would ya? =P
Old 12-25-2006, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
Helllllllloooo Vancouver,

The Euro comands are not suitable for North America for several reasons. It is made by HarmanBecker, and service is difficult in NA even though Harman is owned by a US Congress woman. Second, you cannot get a factory Sirius receiver to work with it. Third, there are some antics required with the wiring. They are, however, simple to acomplish. Third, the AM radio tuner will not work. Europe stations are 9 Khz apart, and NA has 10 Khz spacing. Fourth, the FM side will tune properly, but European broadcasters are forced to use a different compression technique than NA radio stations. Critical music listeners are annoyed by the difference. I personally can't tell them apart. You will need to buy an antenna for the navigation, modify it, and place it under the dash pad. I have also heard reports that the North American NAV databases are hard to get for a Euro Comand, and they tend to be skimpier on information, like gas stations and 7-11 locations.

It makes Steves unit more attractive doesn't it?

Why buy a Cartier when for a few bucks more you can be wearing the Rolex you really wanted?

Oh, please don't buy a Euro unit for TV on the go. As a content producer, please watch at home. My desire is everyone get home safely every night, and a TV in the dash is just too distracting.
Old 12-25-2006, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
Originally Posted by Moviela

The Euro comands are not suitable for North America for several reasons. It is made by HarmanBecker, and service is difficult in NA even though Harman is owned by a US Congress woman. Second, you cannot get a factory Sirius receiver to work with it. Third, there are some antics required with the wiring. They are, however, simple to acomplish. Third, the AM radio tuner will not work. Europe stations are 9 Khz apart, and NA has 10 Khz spacing. Fourth, the FM side will tune properly, but European broadcasters are forced to use a different compression technique than NA radio stations. Critical music listeners are annoyed by the difference. I personally can't tell them apart. You will need to buy an antenna for the navigation, modify it, and place it under the dash pad. I have also heard reports that the North American NAV databases are hard to get for a Euro Comand, and they tend to be skimpier on information, like gas stations and 7-11 locations.

Why buy a Cartier when for a few bucks more you can be wearing the Rolex you really wanted?

Oh, please don't buy a Euro unit for TV on the go. As a content producer, please watch at home. My desire is everyone get home safely every night, and a TV in the dash is just too distracting.
damn, I didn't know Jane Harman was Harman from H/K! the things you learn... I am continually impressed by your knowledge man.

I think I'd take a Cartier over a Rolex though... I've never really wanted a Rolex.

14cue, another thing, he said it's for a C-Class or CLK. remember the pics of the person that put in the CLK Command into a C-Class, there's a gap along the sides, b/c the CLK version is somewhat narrower... make sure to look into that too.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C55

wow, thanks for the facts!
i know that buying a Euro spec one will be trouble but we are talking about half the price! but you are right, i should just go for what i really want.

do you know anything about the installtion cds? i would get them from the dealer or off of ebay i assume - and of course the dealers would be installing this.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C55
Originally Posted by nlpamg
14cue, another thing, he said it's for a C-Class or CLK. remember the pics of the person that put in the CLK Command into a C-Class, there's a gap along the sides, b/c the CLK version is somewhat narrower... make sure to look into that too.
thanks Phil. yep. i know that the CLK one leave a small gap around the sides. i think im going to save up and buy one from either sunman or steve.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:54 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
...It is made by HarmanBecker, ...

Originally Posted by nlpamg
...damn, I didn't know Jane Harman was Harman from H/K! the things you learn... I am continually impressed by your knowledge man ...
Phil,

I think thats why he called it H/B.

Old 12-25-2006, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
Originally Posted by amdeutsch
Phil,

I think thats why he called it H/B.

I know, but come on, I thought perhaps she had the same last name just like any schmoe with a Kennedy last name, not that she was married to Sidney Harman...
Old 12-26-2006, 06:13 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
sounds like a good deal...

1) fits the W203 C class and W209 CLK (this is absolutely NOT possible with the updated comands - it either fits one or the other)

2) which allows to play DVD & TV (yeah, right...you DO know that euro C-class comands do NOT!!!! play DVDs, do you?)

3) he shows pictures of a 211 E-class comand (weird way of advertising a NTG II comand)

4) he shows a picture with a nav screen (nav on a euro 203 DVD comand will never work in the US)

...if life would have been as simple as using eurospec NTG II comand systems in the US, we would def have been offering those and not have been going through the trouble trying to get new MCS IIs...there is a reason why those euro comands are so much cheaper terrence; they are useless (as a navigation device in the US).

greetingz,
Old 12-26-2006, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C55
Originally Posted by MBenzNL
sounds like a good deal...

1) fits the W203 C class and W209 CLK (this is absolutely NOT possible with the updated comands - it either fits one or the other)

2) which allows to play DVD & TV (yeah, right...you DO know that euro C-class comands do NOT!!!! play DVDs, do you?)

3) he shows pictures of a 211 E-class comand (weird way of advertising a NTG II comand)

4) he shows a picture with a nav screen (nav on a euro 203 DVD comand will never work in the US)

...if life would have been as simple as using eurospec NTG II comand systems in the US, we would def have been offering those and not have been going through the trouble trying to get new MCS IIs...there is a reason why those euro comands are so much cheaper terrence; they are useless (as a navigation device in the US).

greetingz,

hey steve,

i am beginning to think there is no way around this. tryingt o purchased a used one is not going to happen. do you offer the installation CDs for canada as well?
Old 12-27-2006, 08:28 AM

2007 ML320 CDI, 2008 Smart ForTwo
(MBENZNL) Steve sent you a pm
Old 12-28-2006, 07:50 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Nothing MB related (sorry)
Originally Posted by AMGFREAK
(MBENZNL) Steve sent you a pm
You better send him an email... chances are that an email is being replied sooner than a PM.

greetingz,

BigSis
Old 12-28-2006, 10:40 AM

I have sent several emails over the last month and no reply... these are the email addresses that I have Steve@MBenzNL.com & s_krabbenborg@hotmail.com

Maybe all my emails are going to his spam folder?? Never had that problem before.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C55
i have been in contact with Steve for the last week. his email is fine but maybe your is getting lost somehow.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C55
email sales@mbenznl.com
good luck
Old 12-28-2006, 11:32 PM

Ok thanks I sent him an email to the address you sent. Hopefully he responds.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:13 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Nothing MB related (sorry)
Originally Posted by AMGFREAK
Ok thanks I sent him an email to the address you sent. Hopefully he responds.
... I don't think your mail(s) have been received then... You can send one to me directly instead. And I will make sure that it goes to Steve's inbox then.

greetingz,

BigSis
Old 12-29-2006, 11:12 AM

Thanks BigSis sent you a message to send him.