C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

DIY: W203 Sedan Headlights Removal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by GLO
There seems to be a few different types of projector lamps for the W203 around the net, all aftermarket.

Some say you cant use HID with them whilst others include HID kits (no name brand i guess)

What none of these sites tell you is how they compare to the stock halogens in terms of light dispersement. Or if the aftermarket lenses are as robust as the stock ones.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
They don't mention any comparisons because the ebay lights are not as good as OEM. Plain and simple. None of the headlamp assemblies compare to OEM bi-x. If I were in a situation where I had the OEM frosted headlights, I would replace them with the clear halogens and get an aftermarket HID kit or with bi-x. Nothing else.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:03 PM
GLO

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
W205 C250BT & R320cdi-L V251 (sold c220 cdi Elegance)

Is that the frosted lens? (on the right)

How much are OEM BIX units?

Lastly, if the Ebay items are DOT approved are they sufficient?

Cheers
Old 09-12-2007, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by GLO

Is that the frosted lens? (on the right)

How much are OEM BIX units?

Lastly, if the Ebay items are DOT approved are they sufficient?

Cheers
Yes, that is the frosted lens on the right.

Prices vary. Search on this forum and I'm sure you'll see what prices are out there. I know there is someone selling their Bi-x for $900 (I Think) in the classifieds. Apparently, some people think you can get bi-x cheaper, but I have yet to see that proven. You can also go to Steve (MBenzNL) or Sunman.

I'm pretty sure the ebay DEPO lights are DOT approved. Buy at your own risk, but if you can get a pair of OEM bi-x for less than $1,000 (very rare), I'd jump on those prior to even considering DEPO lights on ebay. I'd rather spend the same amount of money that the DEPO lights cost on a set of the Clear Halogen OEM's and just get an aftermarket HID kit (made for MB).
Old 05-14-2008, 09:11 PM
Jeb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 C240
Hello everyone. I would greatly appreciate your help. I just bought a pair of projector "plug and play" bi-xenons off ebay. These to be exact...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...254853060&rd=1

They were recomended by someone on here who bought the ones with the black housing. I bought the ones with the 6000K pure white and chrome housing. They look fantastic but after dissasembling my entire left headlight assembly i learned that the highbeam on these doesnt have the stock copper clip that holds it in place? What gives? Is this normal in these after market lights and to the people/person who recomended this particular brand, how did you solve this issue?

Also, im not entirely sure because i didnt get that far, but it also seems the connector cord isnt the same as the stock connector. Just a big box wired to the new projector light? How do i go about plugging them in?

Thanks, Jeb.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes Benz C200K Sport Edition and 04 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by POPaSTOP
I'm changing my OEM headlight to plug&play projector light, does anyone has the assembiy guide for removing and installing. Thanks

Also, has anyone try changing over to projector lights and how did it go.
I switched to Depo Black Projectors several months ago. Job took about 3 hours. Removed top bolts as in pics. Turned wheels full lock part removed wheel arch covers to get at 8mm bolt behind the bumper that was the only tricky bit. Do all in reverse. Once in had lights checked for level.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes Benz C200K Sport Edition and 04 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by Jeb
Hello everyone. I would greatly appreciate your help. I just bought a pair of projector "plug and play" bi-xenons off ebay. These to be exact...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...254853060&rd=1

They were recomended by someone on here who bought the ones with the black housing. I bought the ones with the 6000K pure white and chrome housing. They look fantastic but after dissasembling my entire left headlight assembly i learned that the highbeam on these doesnt have the stock copper clip that holds it in place? What gives? Is this normal in these after market lights and to the people/person who recomended this particular brand, how did you solve this issue?

Also, im not entirely sure because i didnt get that far, but it also seems the connector cord isnt the same as the stock connector. Just a big box wired to the new projector light? How do i go about plugging them in?

Thanks, Jeb.
If this is the plug and connector you are talking about for the high beam:

Undo 2 screws (not all the way) put in H7 bulb, and twist the 2 lugs so that they sit under the screws (don't overtighten screws as the bulb should be able to twist under the screws but are held in securely. Mine have been in for several months, and i have had no probs in them coming loose, nor had to do any other mods to keep them in. Here are some other pics of my Black Depo projectors. I think they are great had no probs and far better than OEM. But not to everyones choice and taste. Click on pics to enlarge. Hope pics help.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:02 PM
Jeb

01 C240
Originally Posted by tudu
If this is the plug and connector you are talking about for the high beam:

Undo 2 screws (not all the way) put in H7 bulb, and twist the 2 lugs so that they sit under the screws (don't overtighten screws as the bulb should be able to twist under the screws but are held in securely. Mine have been in for several months, and i have had no probs in them coming loose, nor had to do any other mods to keep them in. Here are some other pics of my Black Depo projectors. I think they are great had no probs and far better than OEM. But not to everyones choice and taste. Click on pics to enlarge. Hope pics help.
Ah, thanks a ton for the pics and help. I did eventually figure out the highbeam thing. Its a kinda rigged set-up huh? Well atleast they stay in.

I have one other question for you if you would, where did you mount the xenon balasts? Or did you just zip tie them to something? Any pics would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
Jeb.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 C230K SS (sold), 06 C55 (sold), 08 Yamaha R1 (sold), 16 X5M
so started puttin in new oem bixenon today into my '05 c230k...a pain in the *** really, couldnt get my wheels off, the lil *#$#& were stuck on tighter than a 10yr old...got everything off ok, the halogens didnt want to actually come out but once i got them on the bix went in ok...gettin the side bolts back on are gonna be tough since the space is tight and i have larger hands plus i was gettin pissed off that it was gettin dark out so i quit around 7pm...but good news is i got them both in and turned on and they both work, though i noticed i have 2 different assemblies, one has a little line going across the middle of it and the other doesnt seem to have that...i bought them from 2 different sources, 1 from ebay store and another form a guy on here. something tells me that the one from the guy on here was not oem (he sent me the one w/o the horizontal line down the center of the lense)...i believe that is for the highbeams in which the HID bulb actually moves up slightly to help...though i could be wrong...anyone got any thoughts on this?!
Old 12-22-2008, 02:17 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by maverik259
so started puttin in new oem bixenon today into my '05 c230k...a pain in the *** really, couldnt get my wheels off, the lil *#$#& were stuck on tighter than a 10yr old...got everything off ok, the halogens didnt want to actually come out but once i got them on the bix went in ok...gettin the side bolts back on are gonna be tough since the space is tight and i have larger hands plus i was gettin pissed off that it was gettin dark out so i quit around 7pm...but good news is i got them both in and turned on and they both work, though i noticed i have 2 different assemblies, one has a little line going across the middle of it and the other doesnt seem to have that...i bought them from 2 different sources, 1 from ebay store and another form a guy on here. something tells me that the one from the guy on here was not oem (he sent me the one w/o the horizontal line down the center of the lense)...i believe that is for the highbeams in which the HID bulb actually moves up slightly to help...though i could be wrong...anyone got any thoughts on this?!
OEM Bix have a faint horizontal line across the projector lens. The line isn't for the high beams, that's the sheild within the projector itself moving.

The other projector is probably a Depo headlight. Check the light output at night, you should notice a difference between the two. If the headlight without the line gives off better light output and has a better, sharper cutoff than the one with the line, it may be a European spec BIX unit. Chances are slim though.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:46 AM

2003 E500 Sport, 2006 C280 4Matic
On new cars, most xenon-equipped headlights are only offered as a low-beam headlight with a halogen bulb for the high beam. Bi-xenon headlights offer xenon-light output for the low and high beams, and they’re housed in the same headlight capsule/projector.

Bi-xenon headlights typically have a shade or filter in front of the bulb during low-beam operation. When the high-beams are needed, the shade moves out of the way and the bulb’s full-light output is projected onto the road.

Bi-xenon headlights are offered in luxury makes like Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Lexus and Audi.

So, dumbbbbbbb question

Since our headlights are 2 seperate bulb's wouldn't that make them, Non-bi-xenon?????? Im so confussed as to what exactly it is since the outside lights are low beam and the inside one's next to the city lights are high beams, there is no double fillament in the bulb and no moving of any filters in the headlight.... right?
Old 12-22-2008, 08:32 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by Fitty
On new cars, most xenon-equipped headlights are only offered as a low-beam headlight with a halogen bulb for the high beam. Bi-xenon headlights offer xenon-light output for the low and high beams, and they’re housed in the same headlight capsule/projector.

Bi-xenon headlights typically have a shade or filter in front of the bulb during low-beam operation. When the high-beams are needed, the shade moves out of the way and the bulb’s full-light output is projected onto the road.

Bi-xenon headlights are offered in luxury makes like Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Lexus and Audi.

So, dumbbbbbbb question

Since our headlights are 2 seperate bulb's wouldn't that make them, Non-bi-xenon?????? Im so confussed as to what exactly it is since the outside lights are low beam and the inside one's next to the city lights are high beams, there is no double fillament in the bulb and no moving of any filters in the headlight.... right?
No they are true Bix. The low beam shield moves to allow more light just like other systems. The Halogen H7 high beam also turns on for even more light (believe it or not).
Old 12-22-2008, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ya we just have 2 sets of high beams kind of...lol...but ya it turns out that i have a euro spec bix and a us spec one... w/e they both work great besides the fact that i have 2 differnet bulbs in them, but i ordered a set of philips ultinon 6000k yesterday so i hope i get them before xmas, i had them expedited!!!! but ya never doing that install again, it was the biggest pain in the **** ever!!!!! luckily i taped up my corners otherwise i woulda scratched the bejesus out of my paint from having to make the bix fit in there plus those side bolts under the fender and bumper area are next to impossible to get back in! not too mention attempting to put back on the long metal piece that holds the fender and bumper together! that was even more impossible to get back in correctly, since i cant see anything 6" deep into the fender area and there is only 1 screw hole to line up and its vertical! lol...but nonetheless it is all finished and the day is good! i have a new set of bix and new rims to boot!!!! merry christmas to me and to me a good night!
Old 12-22-2008, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by maverik259
ya we just have 2 sets of high beams kind of...lol...but ya it turns out that i have a euro spec bix and a us spec one... w/e they both work great besides the fact that i have 2 differnet bulbs in them, but i ordered a set of philips ultinon 6000k yesterday so i hope i get them before xmas, i had them expedited!!!! but ya never doing that install again, it was the biggest pain in the **** ever!!!!! luckily i taped up my corners otherwise i woulda scratched the bejesus out of my paint from having to make the bix fit in there plus those side bolts under the fender and bumper area are next to impossible to get back in! not too mention attempting to put back on the long metal piece that holds the fender and bumper together! that was even more impossible to get back in correctly, since i cant see anything 6" deep into the fender area and there is only 1 screw hole to line up and its vertical! lol...but nonetheless it is all finished and the day is good! i have a new set of bix and new rims to boot!!!! merry christmas to me and to me a good night!

Pics!!!!1
Old 12-24-2008, 02:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

just took them but left the camera in the glove box......i'll put them up in the morning!
Old 12-24-2008, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by e1000
No they are true Bix. The low beam shield moves to allow more light just like other systems. The Halogen H7 high beam also turns on for even more light (believe it or not).
Now i see it!!! I'm assuming they won't move unless the bi-xenon=present????

I got punked and bought what was advertised as Xenon headlights which are actually just blue halogens

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=

any suggestions on good, REAL xenon bulbs?
Old 12-25-2008, 12:16 AM

Any imput on these? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Xenon...Q5fAccessories
Old 12-25-2008, 12:42 AM

non-MB
Originally Posted by Fitty
Well, you pay for what you get. $40 may sound great, but what about quality?
I can't justify saving money when it comes to relying on night-time vision.

I suggest Philips Ultinons.
Old 12-25-2008, 01:02 AM

Y ima say eff all those posers on ebay with blue halo's and just spring for the real deal with bill mcneil....ya dig??? Wish i had the service center turn on the bi-xenon when they had the car last night :-(
Old 12-25-2008, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ya i just installed my philips ultinon 6000k...AWESOME BULBS!!!! the output is great, the best and truest white light i've seen and the color of the bulb is great too! lights up the road perfectly and i've had oem 4300k and 8000k (thanks to the guys who sold me my bix, i had one with 8000k and one with 4300k, looked real ghetto driving at night the past 2 nights) lol...but ya i bought mine off amazon for just under 200 but i know a few ebay vendors sell for like 180...i recommend buying from an american, you dont want to deal with these guys from hong kong and taiwan, it gets to be a pain the rump if something goes wrong...but ya just google philips ultinon 6000k and a ton of places will come up!
Old 12-25-2008, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

finished product...i'll post night pics later...
Attached Thumbnails DIY: W203 Sedan Headlights Removal-015.jpg   DIY: W203 Sedan Headlights Removal-016.jpg   DIY: W203 Sedan Headlights Removal-007.jpg  
Old 12-26-2008, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

here they are finally...
Attached Thumbnails DIY: W203 Sedan Headlights Removal-004-copy.jpg   DIY: W203 Sedan Headlights Removal-005-copy.jpg   DIY: W203 Sedan Headlights Removal-006-copy.jpg   DIY: W203 Sedan Headlights Removal-007-copy.jpg   DIY: W203 Sedan Headlights Removal-008-copy.jpg  

DIY: W203 Sedan Headlights Removal-010-copy.jpg  
Old 03-19-2009, 05:45 PM
Almost a Member!

c240 4matic MB
Hi im very new to this forum and cars, I have a stock 2004 c240 and i just want to replace the headlamps to clear but keep my halogens do i just buy projectors like this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DEPO-...spagenameZWDVW
And also do i just remove the bulbs n put it in the new lamps and DIY on this plz help
Old 03-19-2009, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
yeah you just install them. they should come with bulbs already. keep in mind the light output will suck compared to oem. if you live in the city with a lot of street lighting, it doesnt really matter. if you live in a area with very little public lighting just be careful.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:10 PM
Almost a Member!

c240 4matic MB
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
yeah you just install them. they should come with bulbs already. keep in mind the light output will suck compared to oem. if you live in the city with a lot of street lighting, it doesnt really matter. if you live in a area with very little public lighting just be careful.
yea that what im afraid of the output would suck too. do u no any where to purchase good clears for halogens and how easy is the installation
Old 05-05-2009, 07:11 PM

2007 c230
Anyone have any experience with these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=150339798484

Is this a true xenon upgrade? Says it comes with either 8000K (White with Bluish) Xenon HID or 6000K (Pure White) Xenon HID.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: W203 Sedan Headlights Removal