C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

How do I get ATF fluid back in my transmission?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2007 | 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

2007 C230SS; 2014 ML350 BT
Better to error on the underfull then overfull. Overfilling causes foaming which can lead to serious transmission damage, but also can cause erratic shifting, fluid starvation, and possible seal leaks from the excess pressure.

Did you concider doing a flush through the cooler lines? This would get the oil that is stuck in the torque converter. Though, to do it right, it wastes some fluid, and at the going price of MB ATF, that could get spendy.
Old 01-04-2007 | 09:53 PM

Ford Pinto
Do I check the fluid with the car running or off????
Old 01-04-2007 | 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by wizkid
Do I check the fluid with the car running or off????
Running
Old 01-05-2007 | 12:06 AM

Ford Pinto
Well, what a night.

First a big thank you to sunman and mleskovar.

60+ miles on the odometer, a free rev where the computer took me out of gear (probably due to low fluid), a few 100 mph blast down the highway, and here I am.

I won't go into the new noise that has popped up which I believe to be a tire out of whack. I am going to order new tires to clear that up since I just had them balanced and they were low on tread and out of round (badly).

So to say I am freeked out and had a bad night does not do it justice.

I realized I had made a BIG error in measuring my fluid level. I was not measuring the fluid with the motor running so I was getting really high fluid level readings on my dip stick.

I had to add 1.5 quarts or basically 1600 cc to get the dipstick reading centered in the 80 C segment on the dipstick. That means I was about 1400 cc low to the minimum level.

This all happened because I have always had manual transmissions with no experience on auto's and just flat out goofed.

Writeup to come and it looks like I added around 3.6 liters total (it is hard to say since I spilled a little on the first round.

Lesson learned. Let's hope I don't get a new transmission becasue of this.

Write-up to come with lots of warnings and advice.
Old 01-05-2007 | 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
I had to add 1.5 quarts or basically 1600 cc to get the dipstick reading centered in the 80 C segment on the dipstick..... Let's hope I don't get a new transmission becasue of this..
Congratulations....that would explain the free wheel. I don't claim to be an auto transmission expert but I doubt any damage was done if the TC was starved of fluid enough not to hook up. There's no metal to metal contact involved in the TC operation (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
Old 01-05-2007 | 12:31 PM

Ford Pinto
Originally Posted by mleskovar
Congratulations....that would explain the free wheel. I don't claim to be an auto transmission expert but I doubt any damage was done if the TC was starved of fluid enough not to hook up. There's no metal to metal contact involved in the TC operation (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
Let's hope. Just remember, I did all that driving before I realized my mistake. But hey, all of us C-Class guys will have a diploma in fluid checking and swapping when this is over with.

I think I am going to attempt my rear axle seal and pinion seal changes next. Should be fun!!
Old 01-06-2007 | 11:43 AM

Let's hope. Just remember, I did all that driving before I realized my mistake. But hey, all of us C-Class guys will have a diploma in fluid checking and swapping when this is over with.

I think I am going to attempt my rear axle seal and pinion seal changes next. Should be fun!!
I'll give you an "E" for effort but an "F" for futility.

Before you start congratulating yourself, writing instructions and awarding diplomas you might want to take a remedial course in basic auto mechanics. You have wasted a lot of time and money - this is not something that you can DIY.

You can use ANY brand of tranny fluid that is approved for you car, usually it is listed as Dexron III H Mercon or similar for Mercedes. You can buy at the dealership, but it is simply repackaged and double the price. Exact same stuff. Mercedes specifies full synthetic. There is absolutely nothing special about "Mercedes Brand" fluids, whether it is transmission, oil, coolant, whatever. As long as it meets the ASTM requirements specified it is good to go.

If you did not power flush the torque converter you have only changed at most half of the fluid and left plenty of crud behind to contaminate your new fluid. Besides the torque converter there is fluid left behind in the clutch packs and other internal passageways - a LOT of fluid.

Now you know why Mercedes typically charges $300 for this service... they just happen to have a $30,000.00 power flushing machine hanging around the shop....
Old 01-06-2007 | 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
- this is not something that you can DIY......You can use ANY brand of tranny fluid that is approved for you car, usually it is listed as Dexron III H Mercon or similar for Mercedes. You can buy at the dealership, but it is simply repackaged and double the price. Exact same stuff. Mercedes specifies full synthetic. There is absolutely nothing special about "Mercedes Brand" fluids, whether it is transmission, oil, coolant, whatever.....If you did not power flush the torque converter you have only changed at most half of the fluid and left plenty of crud behind to contaminate your new fluid. Besides the torque converter there is fluid left behind in the clutch packs and other internal passageways - a LOT of fluid.Now you know why Mercedes typically charges $300 for this service... they just happen to have a $30,000.00 power flushing machine hanging around the shop....
What a spoiled sport Where were you when he was looking for advice? Let's take a closer look at your reply....Yes, there are 13 different fluid types/manufacturers listed for this transmission. They are not "the exact same stuff". They do meet the same requirements though. It's common knowledge that its not recommended mixing fluid types unless its an emergency. Also, it's common knowledge that after high mileage on an engine or transmission you shouldn't change lubrication types. "Power Flush" is nothing of the sort. It does nothing more than exchange fluid using the pressure already provided by the transmission. Unless done correctly, running the transmission through all the gears while in use, there is no benefit. Besides, the "crud" is filtered out at the sump and most is removed when you change the filter. Dealers don't take the time to do it correctly because it takes too much time and wastes fluid (unless you recycle the old, then what's the point). Its real value is exchanging fluid quickly including the TC and saving the dealer time (and charging you for the "flush"). Exchanging fluid, changing the filter and gasket, and replacing the o-rings is more than $300 and you have to hope they do it correctly and don't screw up something else in the process because they are in a rush to do it quickly or they don't make money. I like doing my own work. I save time not dropping off my car and waiting for it to be finished or going back to pick it up. I don't have to take my car back because they need to order parts or fix something correctly. Everything gets cleaned, all fasteners and shields are replaced, other things get looked at, and I know what has, or has not, been done. I applaud anyone taking the time and effort to help me do the job more efficiently.
Old 01-06-2007 | 02:34 PM

Ford Pinto
Thumbs down

Before you start congratulating yourself, writing instructions and awarding diplomas you might want to take a remedial course in basic auto mechanics. You have wasted a lot of time and money - this is not something that you can DIY.

You can use ANY brand of tranny fluid that is approved for you car, usually it is listed as Dexron III H Mercon or similar for Mercedes. You can buy at the dealership, but it is simply repackaged and double the price. Exact same stuff. Mercedes specifies full synthetic. There is absolutely nothing special about "Mercedes Brand" fluids, whether it is transmission, oil, coolant, whatever. As long as it meets the ASTM requirements specified it is good to go.

If you did not power flush the torque converter you have only changed at most half of the fluid and left plenty of crud behind to contaminate your new fluid. Besides the torque converter there is fluid left behind in the clutch packs and other internal passageways - a LOT of fluid.

Now you know why Mercedes typically charges $300 for this service... they just happen to have a $30,000.00 power flushing machine hanging around the shop....
I’ll give you a “J” for coming off like a jack-***.

Before you start writing pompus comments to people who are helping me and being a total rear end to me concerning the way I go about conducting my installations, you might want to take a remedial course in basic “how not to be rude.”

When I first read your post, I admit I got a bit upset. The only two negative complaints I have ever received from my site or postings regarding installation procedures in more than 7 years have come from MB owners, surprisingly enough. I didn’t respond to the first one and he told me to go f*** myself because MB’s shouldn’t be worked on by owners, just certified techs. I ignored him because I do get a lot of wacko’s emailing me.

So I am going to tame my response as much as I can but I am still a bit upset at your attitude. I do appreciate mleskovar’s response and I agree with everything he said.

I am not sure where you are coming off with your high and mighty act but last time I checked I don’t award diploma’s and I list the procedure as a “partial” fluid change on my website (the writeup is not complete yet though guys). I also don’t wonder why MB charges what they do. Find where I stated this and point it out.

As far as your comment on taking a “remedial course in basic auto mechanics”: what qualifies you to determine what I might need to take? Have we met? Were you one of my engineering professors in college?

Does installing heads, cam, headers, oil pump, intake manifold, etc. qualify for remedial auto mechanics class? If so, I have a 400 rwhp 30 mpg 1999 Z28 that has a attendance sheet where I showed up to perform all those installations.

I don’t care how much time and money I have “wasted”. To me, it has been a great learning experience and I can pass that on to the next person who wants to work on their car. I love working on cars and will continue to do so without worrying about my time and money spent.

Believe it or not, there are a lot of people that want to know these things (see mleskovar’s post above and the hundreds of people on this board wanting to do these things themselves).

I had to replace two degrading o-rings on the transmission plug. That led to the pan coming out since I had to reduce the fluid level to not drown my electrical connector in ATF (which I did because I did it in the wrong order). Now, the next person knows how to replace those two o-rings correctly. I give that an “A” for helping the next guy.

If you want to come in this thread and tell me what I can do to improve something, fine. If you are going to continue posting like the one above where I don’t live up to your standard of what an auto mechanic should be, don’t bother wasting my time posting in my threads or visiting my site.

Excuse any typo’s since I wrote this out on my Blackberry.

PS

Really??? I think I just changed two o-ring gaskets myself. Did you even read this thread all the way through??

Last edited by wizkid; 01-06-2007 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-06-2007 | 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250D
There should be a total of 11.5 quarts approx in the trans system totally. As per factory specs, Mercedes recommends you NEVER change the fluid. They state it as lifetime fluid. Any dealer that has a power flush system is something extra they have not something DCAG recommended. The new 7g tronic trannys do have a fluid change schedule.

Wizkid did nothing wrong by changing 3 quarts of fluid with new fluid. Atleast you removed 33% of the crap in the tranny system.

Doing it again after a certain interval is good too.

A total fluid flush is NOT required. A simple drain and fill with change of the filter inside the pan as wizkid did, is good preventive maintainance.
Old 01-06-2007 | 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by sunman
There should be a total of 11.5 quarts approx in the trans system totally. .
?My owners manual lists automatric transmission capacity at 8.5 quarts....maybe 11.5 is 7G?

"Atleast you removed 33% of the crap in the tranny system" I think way more than that is removed. All the particles in the sump and around the filter, which are all the 'big chunks' get removed. They never pass through the whole system anyway. The small particles that pass through the filter are not harmful. I believe that, along with the extended life fully synthetic trans fluid, is why they say lifetime. Would be interesting to do a fluid analysis now to see how much particles remain.
Old 01-06-2007 | 08:30 PM

Ford Pinto
The writeup is up and 98% complete. I lack two pictures both of which are inconsequential and I lack a few torque spec's.

Have fun!
Old 01-06-2007 | 09:15 PM

"As far as your comment on taking a “remedial course in basic auto mechanics”: what qualifies you to determine what I might need to take? Have we met? Were you one of my engineering professors in college?"

Two responses to your questions:

1. Airframe and Powerplant Rating (A&P) and Designated Engineering Representative. (DER) Masters from MIT. Oh yeah, and a Commercial Airline Transport Pilot's License with 25 years experience and 6600 hours pilot in command. I now supervise ground up rebuilds and modifications of piston, turbine and jet engines for Pratt and Whitney, Continental, Boeing, GE and Rolls Royce - among others. My experience with Mercedes engines is limited to MTU (the "M" stands for Maybach) marine turbo diesels.

2. If your professor in college could not even teach you how to "get ATF fluid back in my transmission" he served you poorly.

I'm all for DIY'er's but when you start putting mis-information and frankly potentially damaging information out there as an "expurt"... I have a problem with that.

Sorry to have upset you - try some Maalox.
Old 01-06-2007 | 09:37 PM

Ford Pinto
"As far as your comment on taking a “remedial course in basic auto mechanics”: what qualifies you to determine what I might need to take? Have we met? Were you one of my engineering professors in college?"

1. Airframe and Powerplant Rating (A&P) and Designated Engineering Representative. (DER) Masters from MIT. Oh yeah, and a Commercial Airline Transport Pilot's License with 25 years experience and 6600 hours pilot in command. I now supervise ground up rebuilds and modifications of piston, turbine and jet engines for Pratt and Whitney, Continental, Boeing, GE and Rolls Royce - among others. My experience with Mercedes engines is limited to MTU (the "M" stands for Maybach) marine turbo diesels.

2. If your professor in college could not even teach you how to "get ATF fluid back in my transmission" he served you poorly.

I'm all for DIY'er's but when you start putting mis-information and frankly potentially damaging information out there as an "expurt"... I have a problem with that.

Answer these questions:

1. Where am I putting out misinformation?
2. Where did I classify my self as an "expurt"?
3. You claim this is not a DYI. Really? How did I replace the two gaskets?
4. What do you want me to do to please you? Delete my website? Delete my questions?
5. Did you read this thread? You do realize I am replacing two gaskets that have degraded and are leaking, right? No where did I state this was a complete transmission fluid change.
6. How am I suppose to perform my own repairs without asking questions to others on this board that have done it?
7. If someone reads this thread, will they be worse for it?

The next time you ask a question about correcting a problem on your car, plane, or toliet, think about this thread. I won't come in and dump on you and those that helped you like you have me and then act like you are being an all knowing expert about things.

You can fly. Great. It seems you can even build an airplane motor. Wonderful. You may be the worlds foremost expert on them. Congrats! If we meet tomorrow we may become best buddies for life. I am not putting out information under the pretense of an "expurt". Again, did you read this thread at all? <-- Please answer because I am not claiming a full transmission fluid change. I am proclaiming I want to change two gaskets and I ran into the problem of putting ATF back in my car.

I am not putting out misinformation either. I am trying to get a job done correctly, and I am in the dark about quite a few things on this project. There is a difference. I am asking questions and telling people my experience so I can get this correct for the next guy. I then write it up and document so others can see and learn from my experience and in this case mistakes. Do you have a problem with this.

Shall I remove my site to make you happy? Should I not post questions about what to do to make you happy?

My engineer professors were Civil Engineers. We build the runways and design structual airframes you despartely need. So no, they wouldn't be teaching me about ATF and misinformation.

Last edited by wizkid; 01-06-2007 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-06-2007 | 11:13 PM

If I knew it all id be an airplane mechanic. You RonkMiller get the ******* of the Month Award!!!!! Where is your site trying to help the average guy learn to work on a car where information is so limited?
Old 01-07-2007 | 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230K, 2013 BMW 328, 2015 BMW X5

Nah, I'm sorry that you are just a complete DICK! Love your credentials. Too bad you don't share any info. Just put others down. Those of you that complain get in the way of those of us who are doing it.

TO THE BACK OF THE LINE - NO SOUP FOR YOU!
Old 01-08-2007 | 06:14 PM

Ford Pinto
Install document is finished.