C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

How do I get ATF fluid back in my transmission?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 11:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ford Pinto
Exclamation How do I get ATF fluid back in my transmission?

I just got through dropping the tansmission pan, cleaning the magnet, replacing the gasket, changing the two o-rings on the transmission connector thing that leaks and getting everything virtually spotless.

One problem, I go to the top of the motor and find no dipstick. Then I open my manual and sure enough, MB was nice enough to eliminate the ATF dipstick for me all together. Great.

Now, that I have no dipstick I start wondering. How do I get the tranny fluid back in the transmission? My wife leaves out at 6:15 am in the morning, it is 11:32 pm right now, and I will be shuttling her to work if I can't get this figured out.

Also, how the **** am I supposed to know how much to put back in?????

Help.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:43 PM

Ford Pinto
Is that the fill plug?

Old 01-03-2007, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
There's a tube under the air filter housing on the rear passenger side next to the MAF housing that's capped with a plug. That's it. You need to break a 'keeper' to get the plug off. Snap the keeper off from the top and push it through to remove the cap. I'm guessing you don't have the tranny fluid level check tool...standard coil wire with markings on a plastic probe of HOT minimum @ 2 3/16" and maximum at 2 5/8"....for Cold the min. is 5/16" and max 3/4" from the end.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
BTW...nice lift and clean undercarriage I thought I was ****
Old 01-03-2007, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2002 C230K, 2013 BMW 328, 2015 BMW X5
Be careful with overfilling though. I did a tranny flush and was getting poor shifting during cold starts. Turns out I was about 600cc to high. Pumped out the excess and the tranny feels great now. I'm sure you know that you measure this while hot.

E
Old 01-03-2007, 12:16 AM

Ford Pinto
Originally Posted by mleskovar
There's a tube under the air filter housing on the rear passenger side next to the MAF housing that's capped with a plug. That's it. You need to break a 'keeper' to get the plug off. Snap the keeper off from the top and push it through to remove the cap. I'm guessing you don't have the tranny fluid level check tool...standard coil wire with markings on a plastic probe of HOT minimum @ 2 3/16" and maximum at 2 5/8"....for Cold the min. is 5/16" and max 3/4" from the end.
I appreciate the help guys!! I am in panic mode at this point and realize I need to get to bed because my wife is at work (30 minute drive) before my alarm clock goes off. Ouch!!

Do I have to get another locking top or will that one ride it out broke?

Sunman emailed me and was even nice enough to make sure I got the right tool on order. You da man Sunil!

http://www.toolss.com/wbstore/main.a...40-1521&CTMP=1

I appreciate the kind words on the lift and under carriage. Man, I could not imagine going back to Rhino-Ramps and jack stands.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by wizkid
Do I have to get another locking top or will that one ride it out broke?.
New pin, about $2.75 on the net. Probably duct tape it on until you can get a pin....that's what I was going to do It doesn't take much to overfill so add it slowly. Use my measurements for cold and you should be OK. Looking forward to your writeup....
Old 01-03-2007, 01:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

New pin, about $2.75 on the net. Probably duct tape it on until you can get a pin....that's what I was going to do It doesn't take much to overfill so add it slowly. Use my measurements for cold and you should be OK. Looking forward to your writeup....
Don't worry about the red pin. I bought one for my top and never even put in it. I think it is more for MB to see if you have been messing with the tranny.

E

Ohh, yes and awesome garage. Now if you just had something about a supercharger removal and install.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Is that the fill plug?

Ohh, and that plug looks like the line to your tranny cooler. Those little *******s are quite finicky when you pull them out and reinstall. Read that as drip-drip.

E
Old 01-03-2007, 01:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
I enjoy your install university. Nice of you to help people that way. I hope you get the transmision filled to the proper level. Without knowing the length of the tool from the top of the fill pipe to the "cold full" mark I don't know how you can fill it properly. Did you get the genuine Mercedes ATF for the fill? Mercedes says that their fluid has an additive package engineered for their transmissions that is not readily available elsewhere. The friction materials in the transmission are engineered to work hand in glove with these additives to have long life.

In a situation like this, you might consider pouring the used fluid through a coffee filter (to trap any large chunks) and putting it back in the transmission until you can get the correct measuring tool, fluid, and seals.

A large amount of old fluid remains in the system when you simply remove the pan and replace the filter and seals. Fluid replacement systems like those from Bilstein and others pump fluid through adapters connected to the transmission cooler.

http://www.oilchangeguys.com/Bilstei...eetRevised.pdf

I like the picture in the signature that says to "Work Safe." The lift in a home garage is a dream for any amateur wrench jockey like myself. You are very lucky. Will you please continue that luck and remove the propane tank in the picture from the building? It's OK to put the grill inside, but the tank should always be left outside. If your house is connected to the garage, it is even more important it be outside and away.

Now the Chevy is expendible, but the Benz? (just kidding)
Old 01-03-2007, 07:22 AM

Ford Pinto
I understand about the tank. It is my heat source in the garage when it hets really cold. I have stopped after two goes though. The tank is gone tomorrow. I will have to take a new pic then.

I do have genuine MB fluid and gasket. I am waiting right now at the dealer for parts counter to open so I can get the lock pin thingy.

Dipstick should be here tommorrow. I am going to put 2.5 qts down the hatch tonight and top it off when the dip stick arrives.

This is why I do install documents, you never know the real deal until you do it yourself. I could not find the mention of a dipstick anywhere regardong transmission fluid changes. My search may have bben off but at least now there is no doubt about someone finding it.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:03 AM

Ford Pinto
You need to break a 'keeper' to get the plug off. Snap the keeper off from the top and push it through to remove the cap.
Does the part you push through fall through the motor compartment?

Basically, I am going to take a set of pliers and snap the keeper top off and then push the spear part of the keep through the cap. Then the top comes off?

I picked up a keeper, it was red in color, and sold for $1.75.

I will report back tonight and hopefully have an installdocument up too.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
Does the part you push through fall through the motor compartment? Basically, I am going to take a set of pliers and snap the keeper top off and then push the spear part of the keep through the cap. Then the top comes off?
Yes, that's the method. I guess this means you had to drive your wife to work this morning I'm curious about how much fluid stays in the TC. I agree with Moviela about using the MB fluid even though it's very expensive, I've read horror stories about people mixing fluid types or replacing with non compatible fluid. If you buy the fluid on the net it's MUCH cheaper....same fluid in MB bottle. I also think you'll find that the dip stick bottoms before the handle touches the tube...which means the measurements I gave you should work fine in a pinch. I seem to remember that being the case...am I right? (I don't want to waste a pin checking with mine, and I'm too lazy ).
Old 01-03-2007, 01:54 PM

Ford Pinto
Yeah, I am OEM MB Fluid all the way. I hate the fact that you cannot drain the TC. That blows.

Yeah, had to drive the wife to work. Oh well, she had to head out of state for work today and will be back tomorrow late. That means I have tonight to get this baby filled with 2.5 qts of fluid only to wait on the dipstick to come in tomorrow and comoplete the install.

I will use some solid copper insulated wire and see how close your measurements are.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you only drained the pan it should take just under 4 liters of the fluid, the dip stick is a universal stick that the dealer sells. .. .
Old 01-03-2007, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by MBHustla858
if you only drained the pan it should take just under 4 liters of the fluid, the dip stick is a universal stick that the dealer sells. .. .
The transmission dipstick I bought is calibrated to the 722.6 transmission. How would you know what the correct depth is with a universal tool unless you have access to that info? One of the techs kindly posted the measurements in mm a while back but the tool makes it easy.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:57 PM

Ford Pinto
Having never owned an automatic for a personal vehicle (at least not for longer than a few months) besides work trucks, am I correct in assuming you have to pour the fluid in at an incredibly slow rate?

I thought I was taking it easy and I heard what sounded like dripping water. Sure enough, I had about 100 - 200 cc's on the ground under the car. I got 2.5 liters down the hatch in the end. I stopped there until I get the dipstick tomorrow.

Real sweet too since I paid $14.50 a quart!
Old 01-03-2007, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
]am I correct in assuming you have to pour the fluid in at an incredibly slow rate?[/b]
Real sweet too since I paid $14.50 a quart!
Correct....slow because the diameter of the tube is small enough to block and back up from just the fluid entering too fast. Use the dip stick before you fire it up to make sure it isn't overfull (and blow out the seals). It's the marks at the end (duh).....look at how much the volume of the fluid grows when hot! I just checked the internet and couldn't find anyone selling the fluid....they must have been stopped from doing it. Cost me about $10/ltr. when I bought it about 9 months ago.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Correct....slow because the diameter of the tube is small enough to block and back up from just the fluid entering too fast. Use the dip stick before you fire it up to make sure it isn't overfull (and blow out the seals). It's the marks at the end (duh).....look at how much the volume of the fluid grows when hot! I just checked the internet and couldn't find anyone selling the fluid....they must have been stopped from doing it. Cost me about $10/ltr. when I bought it about 9 months ago.

I too paid about $14.00 a correct for MB South Bay in Manhattan Beach. They wanted $16.50 and I said get real.

So Mleskovar, where do we get it for $9.00?

Thanks,

E
Old 01-03-2007, 11:36 PM

Ford Pinto
Originally Posted by emrliquidlife
E
Out of used wreck MB's in salvage yards.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by emrliquidlife
E
See post #18.....I can't find it anymore, it seems that the on-line stores have stopped carrying it.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:05 AM

Ford Pinto
This one is going to be a good writeup. I lack a few pictures and actually writing it up but it is the photo's that take the time. I am so pumped I am talking about a stupid writeup 1 day before the release.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:23 PM

Ford Pinto
Dipstick arrived and th amount of fluid I added was too much. That's right. 2.5 liters was too much. I went on a 100 mph joy ride for 15 minutes and came back. I was sure to max it out during all the gears. I let it sit for 3 minutes, and checked the level about 30 times. I had to suck a little out after I added some but I would guess 2.2 liters is what I put back in total.

One thing did happen on my second calm test drive 2500 rpm max. I had a rough shift and the transmission free rev'd. It was in drive but it was free reving. When I got down to 20 mph or so it came back in gear. Any idea what was going on here? That freeked me totally out.

The 100 mph joy ride, errr test drive #3, came after the free rev event. I am going to drive it for the rest of the day and pick my wife up from work in it.

Also, if you stick a #4 hex wrench in the ATF tube cap, it will lock the cap down just like it had the plastic key. I am using this until I am sure the fluid is at the correct level. It is so hard to get it inbetween the small mark for 80 degrees C. Is it better for a little over or a little under?

Last edited by wizkid; 01-04-2007 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
...I would guess 2.2 liters is what I put back in total. ....[b]One thing did happen on my second calm test drive 2500 rpm max. I had a rough shift and the transmission free rev'd. It was in drive but it was free reving. When I got down to 20 mph or so it came back in gear. Any idea what was going on here? ....Is it better for a little over or a little under?
Wow...2.2l is only 25% of the fluid, that means most is retained in the TC. That's probably one of the reasons they don't recommend changing it.....the other being it doesn't deteriorate like it use to. I had mine analyzed at about 100K miles and its' lubricating properities were still good. Dirty, since it came from the sump, but good. The filter should keep the crap out of the pump/valves/TC though. I guess if you REALLY want to change the fluid you need to do the in line connector/trap before the cooler....considering how much fluid it would take for it to come out clean that should cost a pretty penny!
Sounds like your ECU had a hiccup....did you look at it to see if any fluid migrated up the harness to it? I've read that if fluid comes out when you disconnect it at the transmission you probably have soaked ECU. As far as fluid level goes...it's better to be within the limits
Old 01-04-2007, 08:29 PM

Ford Pinto
When I pulled the socket, fluid was running out. I used electrical cleaner, a lot of it too since it dries super fast, to clean the fluid out of it. If what you are saying is true, I should have dropped the pan, then pulled the plug. However, if the o-rings I replaced were bad to begin with, it wouldn't matter.

The reason I asked about the too much or too little, the dipstick is hard to read. Really hard to read. Both sides read different fluid levels.

I drove it to pick my wife at her work this evening and have left that story tucked away for a time far off in the distant future.

Back to work on the write up with loads of advice.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How do I get ATF fluid back in my transmission?