C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

MIO GPS Unit installed in Ashtray... It Fits! (Plus Other Install Ideas)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Hmmm...this has got me re-thinking getting a Euro Comand. I've still got other priorities over it, but this is a great post and nice install, Bob!
Old 01-31-2007, 09:46 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Gang, several of you are PMing me to see if I can make mounts for the Mio. Instead of my building these (I don't have the time -- my new job is taking all of my work and free time, atm), I will draw up a design and post measurements so people can make their own with minimal tools and some skills. I'm out of town till the weekend, so I will hope to post something next week.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:10 AM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Originally Posted by drexappeal
Hmmm...this has got me re-thinking getting a Euro Comand. I've still got other priorities over it, but this is a great post and nice install, Bob!
Drex, I understand the dilemna. If you buy the Command system, it's great for the car, but only that car... and when you eventually sell the MB, the system goes with it, cause it's built-in. Also, the NAV functions in the Command system are already somewhat outdated (needing NAV CDs, etc.), so sinking money into that doesn't make a lot of sense to me, especially if I were to sell the car shortly after...

Instead, I have been waiting patiently (years) for these GPS units to get this small so I could buy a stand alone unit that can be fit within the ashtray AND moved from the current car to future cars (if not GPS equipped as standard). Meantime, the Mio can be moved between my MB and the wife's car, and my daughter's car, as needed. My wife has already used it several times in her car, while I use it when travelling. Bottom line: The unit doesn't go obsolete.

Eventually, future cars will come with NAV systems standard... at least the ones I will want to buy. So the standalone, all-in-one systems available now are good, FLEXIBLE, stop-gap solutions.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by MB-BOB
Drex, I understand the dilemna. If you buy the Command system, it's great for the car, but only that car... and when you eventually sell the MB, the system goes with it, cause it's built-in. Also, the NAV functions in the Command system are already somewhat outdated (needing NAV CDs, etc.), so sinking money into that doesn't make a lot of sense to me, especially if I were to sell the car shortly after...

Instead, I have been waiting patiently (years) for these GPS units to get this small so I could buy a stand alone unit that can be fit within the ashtray AND moved from the current car to future cars (if not GPS equipped as standard). Meantime, the Mio can be moved between my MB and the wife's car, and my daughter's car, as needed. My wife has already used it several times in her car, while I use it when travelling. Bottom line: The unit doesn't go obsolete.

Eventually, future cars will come with NAV systems standard... at least the ones I will want to buy. So the standalone, all-in-one systems available now are good, FLEXIBLE, stop-gap solutions.
Bob, how does this update new streets and such? Is it an automatic satelite feed or do you need to plug it in to a computer via USB port?
Old 02-01-2007, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stage 2 C7 A6, QX60
Hey BOB, remember to post the demension of the holder when you get a chance

thanks,
Michael
Old 02-02-2007, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The biggest problem I've seen with standalone units is they take a good amount of time to warm up and get a lock on the mandatory 3-4 satelites, some take several minutes. So if I know the general direction of where I'm going I can just start rolling while it locks in, but if I'm in an area strange to me, it's tough, I have to sit there until it tells me which way to go. With Comand, it uses the last position you drove to and uses the gyro and speed sensor to keep track of where you are going even before it locks in on the satelites and this can take 1 minute and sometimes 3-5 minutes.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Stage 2 C7 A6, QX60
Originally Posted by Buellwinkle
The biggest problem I've seen with standalone units is they take a good amount of time to warm up and get a lock on the mandatory 3-4 satelites, some take several minutes. So if I know the general direction of where I'm going I can just start rolling while it locks in, but if I'm in an area strange to me, it's tough, I have to sit there until it tells me which way to go. With Comand, it uses the last position you drove to and uses the gyro and speed sensor to keep track of where you are going even before it locks in on the satelites and this can take 1 minute and sometimes 3-5 minutes.
i think mio unit does pretty good on that
at least in the fast few days, i do not have to wait more than like 15 seconds
Old 02-02-2007, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's very good.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:42 PM

2003 C230k
Mio Gps Install Different Location

Hey guys sorry about the new thread on this topic! I could have added to MB BOBs thread, but I did'nt think anyone would see it. Anyway I found a new spot to mount the Mio c310x. By the way this thing is frikin sweet for the price. These instuctions are really basic. It is really easy to do!

First thing you need to do, is take out the screw that is holding the suction part to the rest of the unit. Located on top .

After you have done that you should have these two pieces. The acuall piece you are going to use and the Suction part. Keep the screw and the suction piece safe, just incase you want to use it on your windshield.

Next, put back all the pieces that you took off of the extension part that you are going to use. It should now look like this.

The next thing I did was push the extension into the slot just under the radio. It should fit snugly. I pushed the extensions all the way in and then kind of forced the whole thing back untill in couldn't go any further. It will move a little but when I pulled the extensions out it stayed in place. It looks like this. Of course you can center it or move it to the left or right.

Here it is with the clip placed in position without the Mio. (note)I might paint the clip black to make it match a little better.

Here it is with the Mio installed.

Here it is fully extended.

Here it is pushed back.

The nice thing about this install is there were no modifications to make. I can take the whole unit includung the extension out if I want. Or I can leave the extension in and take the Mio with me. Also it is more at eye level unlike the Ashtray mod.

Thanks to MB BOB for showing me this great GPS. And for showing us the astray install.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
Hey, I've got the exact same Mio gps. I've been trying to register it on their website so I can get the free map update but have no way of doing it, or at least I don't know how. Do you know how? It's been a few months so it might be too late though.

Anyway, I love it too. The sound is so clear and it's pretty accurate.
Old 02-03-2007, 05:23 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Originally Posted by AsianML
Hey, I've got the exact same Mio gps. I've been trying to register it on their website so I can get the free map update but have no way of doing it, or at least I don't know how. Do you know how? It's been a few months so it might be too late though.

Anyway, I love it too. The sound is so clear and it's pretty accurate.
How to register... http://club.miogps.com/mio/M100/Register_1.jsp

What free map update? URL?
_
Old 02-03-2007, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Stage 2 C7 A6, QX60
Originally Posted by MrMercedes
Hey guys sorry about the new thread on this topic! I could have added to MB BOBs thread, but I did'nt think anyone would see it. Anyway I found a new spot to mount the Mio c310x. By the way this thing is frikin sweet for the price. These instuctions are really basic. It is really easy to do!

First thing you need to do, is take out the screw that is holding the suction part to the rest of the unit. Located on top .

After you have done that you should have these two pieces. The acuall piece you are going to use and the Suction part. Keep the screw and the suction piece safe, just incase you want to use it on your windshield.

Next, put back all the pieces that you took off of the extension part that you are going to use. It should now look like this.

The next thing I did was push the extension into the slot just under the radio. It should fit snugly. I pushed the extensions all the way in and then kind of forced the whole thing back untill in couldn't go any further. It will move a little but when I pulled the extensions out it stayed in place. It looks like this. Of course you can center it or move it to the left or right.

Here it is with the clip placed in position without the Mio. (note)I might paint the clip black to make it match a little better.

Here it is with the Mio installed.

Here it is fully extended.

Here it is pushed back.

The nice thing about this install is there were no modifications to make. I can take the whole unit includung the extension out if I want. Or I can leave the extension in and take the Mio with me. Also it is more at eye level unlike the Ashtray mod.

Thanks to MB BOB for showing me this great GPS. And for showing us the astray install.

I have mine like this as well
great job
Old 02-03-2007, 06:11 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Gang, several of you are PMing me to see if I can make mounts for the Mio. Instead of my building these (I don't have the time -- my new job is taking all of my work and free time, atm), I will draw up a design and post measurements so people can make their own with minimal tools and some skills. I'm out of town till the weekend, so I will hope to post something next week.
I measured the mount...

I've concluded my mount is overengineered for the task. You don't really need the cross design at all. Instead, all you need to do is make a simple rectangle from plastic that is about 1/8" thick, so it remains stiff with summer heat.

The critical measurement of this rectangle is the vertical dimension, 3 1/8" tall (see yellow arrow below). Once made, you just insert this rectangle into the space and against a natural indent in the top of the tray. Press the bottom of the rectangle to ensure it presses up into this indent, then tape the bottom edge of the rectangle in place (as in my photo). This will give you an optimum viewing angle that will also permit the ashtray lid to close.

The width is not really important, as long as the rectangle fits within the ashtray. The measurement within the horizontal support tabs is the width of the Mio unit: 4 7/16" So, you can make the rectangle 5 inches wide (or so), center the Mio in the space, checking the closing of the lid. After this, cement right angle tabs made from an audio cassette tape case to each side of the Mio centered in the space. Add Velcro if you want to dress it up a bit and you're done. HTH

EDIT: Further idea... Rather than adding tabs, you can also place some of that "Handsfree" Sticky Pad material (the thin, non-gel kind) on the bare plastic. The Mio lays against it and won't budge at all! No tabs required, but you will have to manually center the Mio unit so the lid closes without rubbing the unit.
Attached Thumbnails MIO GPS Unit installed in Ashtray... It Fits! (Plus Other Install Ideas)-mio-gps-4.jpg  
Old 02-03-2007, 06:20 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Originally Posted by Buellwinkle
The biggest problem I've seen with standalone units is they take a good amount of time to warm up and get a lock on the mandatory 3-4 satelites, some take several minutes.
As yeuchau says, it takes only 15 seconds or so (max) for the unit to find the requisite number of satellites. Actually it will lock to as many satellites as it can... usually at least 8, and sometimes as many as 12. I usually let the unit acquire its signals before dropping the Mio into the ashtray mount. It can take longer to acquire if starting in the tray.

In the example shown below, the unit has acquired 10 satellites but is locked to only 7. (It changes on the fly) The measure of accuracy increases (value drops) when more satellites are locked. I've seen acc at .70 when 12 satellites are locked. If you are on an interstate and take an exit not on the route (to buy gas), it will sense you are 30' to the right of the route on the service road, and tell you to get back on the route. LOL!

And yes, it also displays elevation...
Attached Thumbnails MIO GPS Unit installed in Ashtray... It Fits! (Plus Other Install Ideas)-mio-gps-5.jpg  
Old 02-03-2007, 06:30 PM

'05 C230Kss
go find some coupons

after reading this thread, i went and bought the mio as well. If you can find it, there are some $40 off $199 purchases from Circuit city floating around on the web (i checked fatwallet to get mine). The total including CA tax was $173, which is awesome.
This mio 310x is highly hackable to run winCE and play videos (avi, xvid), change background, load female voice, etc from what I've been reading around the web. The new version C310x (upgraded from c310) runs iGo which is very accurate (I think what the Garmin Nuvi runs.) Surf around at work and check out the hacks.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:42 PM

'05 C230Kss
updates

i checked the mio website and their answer to the map updates is as follows (when i tried the URL they gave, it looped me back to the main USA page):

Q1
How often are map updates made available and when will the next update be offered?
A
Mio Technology will offer a map update in spring 2007 for our portable navigation devices
We believe the new maps from our partners at Tele Atlas are the best digital maps ever commercially developed and we think our customers will find them reliable, complete and robust.
In order to give our customers the best possible experience getting their Mio DigiWalker™ navigation device updated with this new map data, we are working with our retail partners to create a easy way have your Mio DigiWalker™ updated. Please check our website from time to time for map pricing and availability http://www.mio-tech.com.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:41 PM

2003 C230k
Found this while browsing tonight...

There are quit a few mounts for the c310x check out this website. I like the vent mount. I might pick this one up.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:42 PM

2003 C230k
Found this while browsing tonight...

Forgot the URL
http://www.semsons.com/hebertrichter.html
Old 02-04-2007, 04:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Stage 2 C7 A6, QX60
Originally Posted by benze-ply
after reading this thread, i went and bought the mio as well. If you can find it, there are some $40 off $199 purchases from Circuit city floating around on the web (i checked fatwallet to get mine). The total including CA tax was $173, which is awesome.
This mio 310x is highly hackable to run winCE and play videos (avi, xvid), change background, load female voice, etc from what I've been reading around the web. The new version C310x (upgraded from c310) runs iGo which is very accurate (I think what the Garmin Nuvi runs.) Surf around at work and check out the hacks.
wow
that's nice
i bought it from circuitcity as well, but paid 216 after tax.
i wonder if i can return and buy it again with that 40 off 199 price.

don't know if they will charge restocking fee
Old 02-04-2007, 09:57 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
How to register... http://club.miogps.com/mio/M100/Register_1.jsp

What free map update? URL?
_
Oh geee, I don't think I have a link. It was Black Friday when we got it and around that time I did the researching on it. I read and was told at one point that you can get 1 free map update after you register the Mio.

Originally Posted by benze-ply
i checked the mio website and their answer to the map updates is as follows (when i tried the URL they gave, it looped me back to the main USA page):

Q1
How often are map updates made available and when will the next update be offered?
A
Mio Technology will offer a map update in spring 2007 for our portable navigation devices
We believe the new maps from our partners at Tele Atlas are the best digital maps ever commercially developed and we think our customers will find them reliable, complete and robust.
In order to give our customers the best possible experience getting their Mio DigiWalker™ navigation device updated with this new map data, we are working with our retail partners to create a easy way have your Mio DigiWalker™ updated. Please check our website from time to time for map pricing and availability http://www.mio-tech.com.
Hmm....okay. So we have to wait until Spring or some other time before we can get a map update? I was reseraching on the Mio before I bought it and read that you had to register the Mio to get these map updates. I also read that you get 1 free map update after you register (when the update is available).

Last edited by AsianML; 02-04-2007 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:27 PM

2005 C320 4Matic
do you have to remove the cigarette lighter port in the ashtray to mount this navigation system? (i.e., will this install work with the 2005+ models?)

Last edited by raunen; 02-04-2007 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Stage 2 C7 A6, QX60
Originally Posted by raunen
do you have to remove the cigarette lighter port in the ashtray to mount this navigation system? (i.e., will this install work with the 2005+ models?)
yours is slightly different since the cigarette lighter is also in the ashtray, so i don't think this will work for you
have to find somewhere else to mount