C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

keys

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2002, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alabaster White C230K Grey Int. and 2003 C32 pewter/charcoal gray
keys

once and for all how can i get a hold of the 3 button keys...i tried calling dealers and mb usa they said its not available for our cars.

so i dont want to buy a key and end up with the two button...

some one said there as a TSb for this can anyone post a copy so we can show to the dealer so we can get another set thru warranty?

thanks
Old 09-16-2002, 04:38 PM

2001 C240 6spd
This may be a little off topic, but the dealer the other day gave me updated keys for my C240. They are the three button key - I have not had any problems with my original keys, but they said that they wanted to update the keys. I dont have nay clue why? It took about 2 hours to re-program each key for the car.
Old 09-17-2002, 08:18 AM

Re: keys

Originally posted by c230_2k2
once and for all how can i get a hold of the 3 button keys...i tried calling dealers and mb usa they said its not available for our cars.

so i dont want to buy a key and end up with the two button...

I cannot believe you and others are so worked up over a 3 button key. Is this the most important aspect of your car ? What are you going to do when they bring out a 4 or 5 button key ?
Lets have a little perspective here.
Old 09-17-2002, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Re: Re: keys

Originally posted by viper
I cannot believe you and others are so worked up over a 3 button key. Is this the most important aspect of your car ? What are you going to do when they bring out a 4 or 5 button key ?
So this forum isn't the place to ask questions?
You could post the same rant on any of the questions here (are crank pulleys, stereos, springs... the most important aspect of your car?). Some members want to be able to open the hatch remotely. You may not think that's important, but why flame a guy for wanting to utilize a feature of the car that was deleted? Lets keep an open mind here....
Old 09-17-2002, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
WHAT?

There's a 4 and 5 button key?

WHERE?

how do I get one?!

GOTTA HAVE IT...

LOL!! JK

I do want the 3 button though!
P
Old 09-17-2002, 10:40 AM

Alabaster White C230K Grey Int. and 2003 C32 pewter/charcoal gray
Re: Re: keys

Originally posted by viper
For me its just a good featrure to have cause i put things in my trunk..it sometimes it will be very handy to have it opened by the time you reach the car...And im not saying its the most important aspect...just wanted to have the feature if its is really available...and I thought this forum is what it is for ...to look and search for your answers so if you dont like what I posted and it doesnt concern you im sorry but you dont have to read it....
Old 09-17-2002, 12:55 PM

2008 Cayman S / 2002 C230
our dealer got us a 3 button key for our C230k... it took them a lil while to get it all working, but it works!!.. the trunk pops just fine.. but it only really unlocks it... on my I30t, the trunk actually POPS.. (watch out squirels ) hehe.. i use the trunk pop a lot, but if i didn't have it, it would be no big loss.. =p
Old 09-17-2002, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
Originally posted by p010sp0rt8
.. but it only really unlocks it...
well, what's the point if it doesn't pop open the trunk? that seems odd.

that is, you could just use the regular unlock button to do the same thing.
Old 09-17-2002, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by young
well, what's the point if it doesn't pop open the trunk? that seems odd.

that is, you could just use the regular unlock button to do the same thing.
sorry.. i meant.. it pops the trunk, but you still have to lift it with considerable effort from the handle... where you might as well have just pressed the button yourself.. u see?
Old 09-17-2002, 01:18 PM

Re: Re: Re: keys

Originally posted by avlis
So this forum isn't the place to ask questions?
You could post the same rant on any of the questions here (are crank pulleys, stereos, springs... the most important aspect of your car?). Some members want to be able to open the hatch remotely. You may not think that's important, but why flame a guy for wanting to utilize a feature of the car that was deleted? Lets keep an open mind here....
Avlis, its a real stretch of your imagination to say the feature was deleted. The 2002 coupe did not have this feature and was not advertised as such. So we really can't demand it now can we ? But some of us are doing just that.

I just don't think it is ethical to expect MB to take back keys or have some forum members destroy their keys in the hopes they will get the extra button. Guess who pays for this ? We all do in the form of higher prices. Have you heard the phrase "Specifications subject to change without notice." I believe you will find this on every MB brochure. Sure if you want to get the extra button go ahead but I think it only right that you pay for it and not try to stiff MB into it. And no I don't work for them.
Old 09-17-2002, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Avlis, its a real stretch of your imagination to say the feature was deleted.
You're right. I should have said: ....take advantage of a hidden feature that MB decided to not make apparent.

I just don't think it is ethical to expect MB to take back keys or have some forum members destroy their keys in the hopes they will get the extra button.
Please re-read the original post you flammed. He clearly states: "so i dont want to BUY (emphasis on BUY) a key and end up with the two button... ". You still flame a guy that wants to give MB $200 for a $10 key?

I don't have the energy to debate the ethics of trying to get a free key under warrenty. The point is moot anyway because this guy just wants the part number so he can go out and buy one.

Guess who pays for this ?
It's already paid for. So are oil changes in the US. It's all rolled up into the MSRP. Companies that give away free parts or products don't stay in business. So then when a company raises prices to cover warrenty repairs it loses market share. The solution: minimize the amount of warrenty repairs in the first place. In other words: suppy the 3 button key from the start or else you'll end up throwing a bunch of 2 button keys in the dumpster.

Last edited by avlis; 09-17-2002 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-17-2002, 03:14 PM

2000 BMW328i
p010sp0rt8, I too live in the Bay Area and would greatly appreciate the 3-button key. Can you tell me which dealer was able to get it for you? I have asked at a couple dealerships, but they didn't know anything about it. Also, did you pay for it? Thanks!
Old 09-17-2002, 04:31 PM

Originally posted by avlis
You're right. I should have said: ....take advantage of a hidden feature that MB decided to not make apparent.

Please re-read the original post you flammed. He clearly states: "so i dont want to BUY (emphasis on BUY) a key and end up with the two button... ". You still flame a guy that wants to give MB $200 for a $10 key?

I don't have the energy to debate the ethics of trying to get a free key under warrenty. The point is moot anyway because this guy just wants the part number so he can go out and buy one.

It's already paid for. So are oil changes in the US. It's all rolled up into the MSRP. Companies that give away free parts or products don't stay in business. So then when a company raises prices to cover warrenty repairs it loses market share. The solution: minimize the amount of warrenty repairs in the first place. In other words: suppy the 3 button key from the start or else you'll end up throwing a bunch of 2 button keys in the dumpster.
First off Avlis, maybe YOU should re-read the original post. He ALSO says he wants the TSB number so that he can get a key under warranty. The problem is the key is not defective hence it is not (and should not) be a legitimate warranty claim. A TSB is for something that is defective and this is not the case. The key does exactly what it is supposed to do. Sure there are some keys that are defective and subject to a TSB but that is not for missing functionality. Its because they don't work.

Your diatribe about supplying the 3 button key from the start makes me laugh. You say they should minimize warranty repairs in the first place. But again re-read the original post. This is not a warranty claim. Your fractured logic would have us all demanding CD changers simply because the wiring is in the glove box. While that would be nice it will never happen.

Last edited by viper; 09-17-2002 at 04:35 PM.
Old 09-17-2002, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by TPL230
p010sp0rt8, I too live in the Bay Area and would greatly appreciate the 3-button key. Can you tell me which dealer was able to get it for you? I have asked at a couple dealerships, but they didn't know anything about it. Also, did you pay for it? Thanks!
hey.. we didn't hafta pay for our xtra key.. but that was sort of our negotiation with the sales guy.. since we had purchased the S430 from the same guy he was really nice about it... the key does run 200 bucks... we got it from the Automall in Fremont.. Clairidge Mercedes.. it's off of 880/automall....

however.. we don't get merc loaners from this dealership.. just cheapy enterprize cars... but the people are reasonable and treat us well.. oh well. .that's my griping
Old 09-17-2002, 05:02 PM

C32 AMG
I've never seen the two button key. Just to clarify, do coupe owners have a key with only lock and unlock?
Old 09-17-2002, 05:07 PM

Originally posted by Boo2
I've never seen the two button key. Just to clarify, do coupe owners have a key with only lock and unlock?
yea.. and there is even the lil space there for where the 3rd button should go!!! just no button!!! hahah.. oh well... maybe i can etch a "electrocute" thing on it..
Old 09-17-2002, 08:16 PM

2000 BMW328i
Thanks p010sp0rt8,

Is there a service advisor at Claridge you recommend speaking with? I just want to talk to someone who doesn't think I'm crazy -- like I said, I would be willing to pay.

We wanted to buy from RAB, but no deals, so we ended up at Smythe, which ended up being a suprisingly easy transaction. They have Mercedes loaners, but they're pretty far south for us to go down and use them.
Old 09-17-2002, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
Alvis, Viper...you're both misconstrued...

Dont turn this forum into an "I can pee into the wind and get less one me than you can" contest...

Let it be what it is. Let people ask rhetorical and often repetitious questions and let them sort out the answers. Learning is an experience, and your bickering makes it less enjoyable.

That said, I'd like a 3 button key to control my hatch...but I'm not about to microwave my existing keys to get it.
Old 09-18-2002, 03:03 PM
jlm

Question Just the facts...

I too would like the hatch feature in my key. So, back to the basics:

Of the people who have three-button keys, do they all have the ability to 'pop' (NOT just unlock) the hatch?

What build date (or at least MY) is your car (does the three-button key pop the hatch only for MY2003, just cars past a certain build date, or any coupe?).

Can you look at the key and see the P/N etched in the side, and is it different than a two-button key (for those that actually changed keys).

I'm perfectly willing to pay for this (admittedly purely convenience) feature, but I know I will be met with a baffled expression from my dealer. I need to have as many facts as possible to make any progress on this.

Thanks to any and all to can help clarify!

jlm
Old 09-18-2002, 09:28 PM
Almost a Member!

The thing that makes me curious is that if they have the ability to make this work on the C230, why aren't they marketing it as a $400 option? I mean if they can overcharge by $800 for a CD Changer, why not make it an option at least? I'm sure many people would gladly pay for it without knowing any better.

dave
Old 09-18-2002, 10:09 PM

C230 K Coupe
There are a couple of other posts that have a lot of this information in them. I encourage the use of the search functionality of the forum, it really works.

For now though, I will reiterate. If your key has a transmit problem locking or unlocking doors you might fall under a technical service bulletin and your key will be replaced under warrantee. If not, it will cost $130. The TSB will replace your key so that it starts with number 221 (look at the fine print on the end of your key). I believe the part number (MA203 766 41 06 9999) is just the normal key part number. The 221 key also has the hatch button, which will pop the hatch about a half-inch. Not a lot, but its something.

In addition, there is some discussion about having only 8 (I think this number varies between 8-24) chances to replace your key sets before you have to put in a new ignition system for a high cost.
Old 09-19-2002, 09:30 AM

w203
have 217

i currently have a set of 217 keys. had them since new about 3 months. can unlock/lock doors from 25ft away. must by 2-3 feet away to open windows aiming at the handles. Seems to work fine. If i get the 221 keys because of the TSB will it have the hatch button (at no charge)? is the TSB on the web to print out and bring to the dealer?
Old 09-19-2002, 09:30 AM

w203
have 217

i currently have a set of 217 keys. had them since new about 3 months. can unlock/lock doors from 25ft away. must by 2-3 feet away to open windows aiming at the handles. Seems to work fine. If i get the 221 keys because of the TSB will it have the hatch button (at no charge)? is the TSB on the web to print out and bring to the dealer?
Old 09-19-2002, 10:05 AM

Originally posted by Rick
Alvis, Viper...you're both misconstrued...

That said, I'd like a 3 button key to control my hatch...but I'm not about to microwave my existing keys to get it.
so if i put my keys in the microwave i can get a new set?

what temp and for how long?
Old 09-19-2002, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by who_dog
There are a couple of other posts that have a lot of this information in them. I encourage the use of the search functionality of the forum, it really works.

For now though, I will reiterate. If your key has a transmit problem locking or unlocking doors you might fall under a technical service bulletin and your key will be replaced under warrantee. If not, it will cost $130. The TSB will replace your key so that it starts with number 221 (look at the fine print on the end of your key). I believe the part number (MA203 766 41 06 9999) is just the normal key part number. The 221 key also has the hatch button, which will pop the hatch about a half-inch. Not a lot, but its something.

In addition, there is some discussion about having only 8 (I think this number varies between 8-24) chances to replace your key sets before you have to put in a new ignition system for a high cost.
who_dog just outta curiousity (don't have my key with me)... since you said the 221 key is the only one which can be replaced... and the 221 key already has a hatch button.. doesn't this mean.. the people who don't have a hatch button are ... uhm.. screwed, since they have a key which is not part of the tsb? so unless they find a not so smart merc sales rep... this would not work?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: keys