C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Ported Supercharger Installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2002 C230K, 2013 BMW 328, 2015 BMW X5
Ported Supercharger Installed

Well, I got the S/C back from Stiegemeier. I am breaking it in for about 400 miles before doing a WOT run. I am hoping for maybe 4-5 horse for this. They think it is good for 15, bugt I haven't heard of that kind of return before.

Some of you may be aware of the excess oil that is getting in the MAF, so I finally just took the car to the dealer for them to do a diagnosis. I was hoping to get an answer on her, but I guess I am one of the only ones to run into this problem and attempt a DIY.

Once I get the work done, I'll let you know what was going on, and what had to be replaced. Long term I think I will install a Catch Can to avoid this problem recurring.

Pics of Stock and Ported S/C to come.

E
Old 01-13-2007, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVE
Originally Posted by emrliquidlife
Well, I got the S/C back from Stiegemeier. I am breaking it in for about 400 miles before doing a WOT run. I am hoping for maybe 4-5 horse for this. They think it is good for 15, bugt I haven't heard of that kind of return before.

Some of you may be aware of the excess oil that is getting in the MAF, so I finally just took the car to the dealer for them to do a diagnosis. I was hoping to get an answer on her, but I guess I am one of the only ones to run into this problem and attempt a DIY.

Once I get the work done, I'll let you know what was going on, and what had to be replaced. Long term I think I will install a Catch Can to avoid this problem recurring.

E
Nice meeting you, btw .
Old 01-13-2007, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport

E
Ed, I hope you get some good results. It would be nice to see your car running as dandy as it was last time. You think you can get those 400 break-in miles before next weekend?
Old 01-13-2007, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
400 miles in a week....... SHOOT... give it to me, I'll rack some miles up for ya !!

Old 01-13-2007, 06:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ford Pinto
Pic's already!?
Old 01-13-2007, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Kudos to you for undertaking such an ambitious modification!
We supercharger aficionados are impatiently awaiting your feedback and results.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
nice! can't wait to see it on Sat!
Old 01-14-2007, 01:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
dont want to be hijackin your thread E, great to hear everythings working good?

BUT DAM PHIL YOUR SIG IS ALWAYS SO.... dam you and ur m3! lol
Old 01-14-2007, 06:25 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by advans

advans, don't be boostin' the "traitor's" ego!...LOL

Phil, can't wait 'till my m271 is faster than your m3!...hahaha...yeah right.
Old 01-14-2007, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by advans

lol, thanks man!

Originally Posted by drexappeal
advans, don't be boostin' the "traitor's" ego!...LOL

Phil, can't wait 'till my m271 is faster than your m3!...hahaha...yeah right.
haha! well, you can smoke my m271 all you want next Sat!
Old 01-14-2007, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Okay here is the old one:

A closer look at the vanes and the triangle that got ported.

Now, let me get the new pics off my camera for you guys.

E
Old 01-14-2007, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ported S/C pics

Here is the final result.

Total cost on the porting was $395. They were doing a January sale. It also cost me $120 to rent a car while the S/C was away, plus about $150 in Fedex Express charges. The Gaskets and seals were about $60 total. So it cost me about $725, but mostly I have the pride of DIY, and knowing that baby is good for at least another 100k miles.

I'll post the dyno when I do it.

E
Old 01-15-2007, 02:16 AM

2002 C230 Coupe
E,

Looks great! Can I ask a HUGE favor and have you post the gaskets that are required (and part numbers) for those of us that want to follow in your footsteps?

The ported S/C looks like it's going to flow a decent amount more air. I can't wait to see your dyno numbers!

Bob
Old 01-16-2007, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Initial Impressions

Pardon the interuption. My inital impression is ready to go. I may be making a huge error by mentioning this before conducting a dyno.

The new S/C has a bit more whine to it. Which me likes.

I can say that the car revs up faster, and is certainly moving more air. I do feel the increase in power. When I was doing my first shake down run, I came up on the car right in front of me a bit sooner than I was used to.

I also installed an oil catch can to try to help with the oil in the MAF/Intake. But oddly, I have yet to get a drop.

I wanted to get a dyno, pre meet, but it just doesn't look like it is going to happen.

When I get it done, I'll post. Bob, are you going to the meet, we should get together and talk a bit about M111 engine mods.

I know return you to your regularly scheduled dribble of rims, bling and other crap.

E
Old 01-16-2007, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVE
Pardon the interuption. My inital impression is ready to go. I may be making a huge error by mentioning this before conducting a dyno.

The new S/C has a bit more whine to it. Which me likes.

I can say that the car revs up faster, and is certainly moving more air. I do feel the increase in power. When I was doing my first shake down run, I came up on the car right in front of me a bit sooner than I was used to.

I also installed an oil catch can to try to help with the oil in the MAF/Intake. But oddly, I have yet to get a drop.

I wanted to get a dyno, pre meet, but it just doesn't look like it is going to happen.

When I get it done, I'll post. Bob, are you going to the meet, we should get together and talk a bit about M111 engine mods.

I know return you to your regularly scheduled dribble of rims, bling and other crap.

E
ACTUALLY, E, I'm gonna give you a call.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:16 AM

2002 C230 Coupe
Bob, are you going to the meet, we should get together and talk a bit about M111 engine mods.
Yo E!

Yup, I plan to be at the meet. Let's try to catch up. I'd love to hear more about the supercharger. Until my engine dies (probably a very long time from now), my wife tells me that I can't do anything to the car including stroking the motor and porting/polishing the head. Since the S/C is technically outside the engine, I consider that fair game.

Just look for a big, fat Asian driving a dark blue Nissan Murano. The wife, baby, and father-in-law will be in-tow, so the family truckster is making an appearance instead of the C230 Coupe.

Bob

P.S. I'm a former X1/9 owner too! :-P Had a 1981 X1/9 in silver - fun little car. Bought the big brother years later (Ferrari 308 GTSi) but big brother came with big maintenance bills. Had a 2003 Ducati ST3, but that went away when the wife was pregnant. Now I have the wife and baby (different sort of maintenance altogether) and nothing Italian.

Last edited by rtking; 01-17-2007 at 12:20 AM.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

[QUOTE=rtking;1941127]Yo E!

Yup, I plan to be at the meet. Let's try to catch up. I'd love to hear more about the supercharger. Until my engine dies (probably a very long time from now), my wife tells me that I can't do anything to the car including stroking the motor and porting/polishing the head. Since the S/C is technically outside the engine, I consider that fair game.

Just look for a big, fat Asian driving a dark blue Nissan Murano. The wife, baby, and father-in-law will be in-tow, so the family truckster is making an appearance instead of the C230 Coupe.

Bob

Ahhh, porting and polishing on the head. Now that is something to do. Only problem is who to find who can do the work correctly. I'm a bit leery of just finding any shop to do the work.

Great, well, I'm a thinish looking car with some greying hair. I'm the guy who looks like he has never touched a wrench in his life. For whatever reason people can't believe that I like to work on cars. My car is Blue with door dings, a banged up hatch and bad rims.

Cool on the X, I now have two, none of them are running...

E
Old 01-17-2007, 12:41 AM

2002 C230 Coupe
Ahhh, porting and polishing on the head. Now that is something to do. Only problem is who to find who can do the work correctly. I'm a bit leery of just finding any shop to do the work.

Boport Flow Development (boport.com) seems like a good place. I am planning on sending my Esslinger aluminum head to them for complete porting and flow-benching. I built a 2.5 liter stroker for my SVO and I'm looking to make some pretty big power.

I guess I'm getting "stroke happy" because I'd love to be able to stroke the 2.3 M111 engine and have a high flowing head. I wonder what power output would be achievable?

*off topic*
LOL - my X1/9 had its share of problems, but with a little TLC, it ran great. I was reading your blog about coolant mixing with the oil. IIRC, one of my friends' ex-girlfriends had an X1/9 where she installed a different head and ended up with a lot of coolant in the oil. I can't remember the exact solution (I'll look on my other computer tomorrow for the email thread) but I think the problem was with the thermostat housing and having to block off one port. I just remember that, for as short a time as she ran that motor, there was an amazing amount of coolant mixed into the oil. That suggested a big leak somewhere, which turned out to be that port...
Old 01-17-2007, 12:43 AM
Super Moderator

Great, well, I'm a thinish looking car with some greying hair. I'm the guy who looks like he has never touched a wrench in his life. For whatever reason people can't believe that I like to work on cars. My car is Blue with door dings, a banged up hatch and bad rims.

E
lol, your rims are hott! and I'm not being sarcastic... but damn, you STILL haven't fixed the hatch!?
Old 01-17-2007, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah, the dreaded EGR valve opening in the thermo housing. Yup I know of that one.

The website is http://www.bo-port.com/index.html

Stage 2 or 3 all the way! Is there a local company here in So Cal though. I wonder if I might be able to find a good used head and then have that one worked. That way it could be an all in one job. Prior to port and polish, I guess I still have the exhaust to do. I also saw some silly bends and choke points in the Drivers side plastic air intake piece that goes from the S/C hose to the Mass Air Sensor. I was thinking about ravaging through the Spearco Catalog to find something useful. Only thing is our cooling mounts use a clip. (Is this normal?) So the hoses may not mount easily.

I wonder if we might be able to clear 230 at the wheels. I really need to spend some time talking to the SLK and older C230 M111 guys to see what they have done, and who has gone the farthest. I do know, my last dyno was way lean. I got an apt tomorrow for a dyno in the p.m. MUCHOS GRACIAS JOSE!!!

I'm quite worried about how lean I am going to be with the porting.

E
Old 01-17-2007, 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by nlpamg
lol, your rims are hott! and I'm not being sarcastic... but damn, you STILL haven't fixed the hatch!?
its all about the power! Yeah, I will have the one bad rim replaced and the hatch done before summer. I will, I will, I will. But what happens is a gleaming performance part catches my eye....and you know.

E
Old 01-17-2007, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
Originally Posted by rtking

Boport Flow Development (boport.com) seems like a good place. I am planning on sending my Esslinger aluminum head to them for complete porting and flow-benching. I built a 2.5 liter stroker for my SVO and I'm looking to make some pretty big power.

I guess I'm getting "stroke happy" because I'd love to be able to stroke the 2.3 M111 engine and have a high flowing head. I wonder what power output would be achievable?

*off topic*
LOL - my X1/9 had its share of problems, but with a little TLC, it ran great. I was reading your blog about coolant mixing with the oil. IIRC, one of my friends' ex-girlfriends had an X1/9 where she installed a different head and ended up with a lot of coolant in the oil. I can't remember the exact solution (I'll look on my other computer tomorrow for the email thread) but I think the problem was with the thermostat housing and having to block off one port. I just remember that, for as short a time as she ran that motor, there was an amazing amount of coolant mixed into the oil. That suggested a big leak somewhere, which turned out to be that port...
Mr. King,

Did you finish your Mustang?
Old 01-17-2007, 02:54 PM

Ford Pinto
The website is http://www.bo-port.com/index.html

Stage 2 or 3 all the way! Is there a local company here in So Cal though. I wonder if I might be able to find a good used head and then have that one worked. That way it could be an all in one job. Prior to port and polish, I guess I still have the exhaust to do. I also saw some silly bends and choke points in the Drivers side plastic air intake piece that goes from the S/C hose to the Mass Air Sensor. I was thinking about ravaging through the Spearco Catalog to find something useful. Only thing is our cooling mounts use a clip. (Is this normal?) So the hoses may not mount easily.

I wonder if we might be able to clear 230 at the wheels. I really need to spend some time talking to the SLK and older C230 M111 guys to see what they have done, and who has gone the farthest. I do know, my last dyno was way lean. I got an apt tomorrow for a dyno in the p.m. MUCHOS GRACIAS JOSE!!!

I'm quite worried about how lean I am going to be with the porting.

E
Does the Mass Sensor --> computer not correct for the lean condition or are you just that much out of the tables to get a correction? That sounds odd to me but I don't mess with forced induction cars. Will you have to get a custom tune programmed in? Running lean is a bit scary, especially in a nitrous, s/c, or turbo car.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
Originally Posted by mig888
ACTUALLY, E, I'm gonna give you a call.
mig888, are you coming to the meet on Saturday ???

Bob, E, Peter... can't wait to see your Coupés... we should all park together !!! Anyone heard from Scott, Vy or Doug ??? Haven't seen their Coupés in a while...

Old 01-17-2007, 03:41 PM

2002 C230 Coupe
Originally Posted by pshek
Mr. King,

Did you finish your Mustang?
Yo Pshek!

Nope - baby came along. That took all my time. Motor is still sitting on the engine stand, but I have to yank the head off and send it out to BoPort to maximize flow. I have a very aggressive cam, but if I can really increase flow, I can use a less aggressive cam which will actually let me idle below 1000 rpm!

Bob

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ported Supercharger Installed