C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Service scams, beware...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by slammedcclass
I have to do Service B in 3 days so how much do they charge and what do they do for service B and u think they will change every thing they are suppose to?

and do i have to do it in 3 days cuz i have 16500 miles and i did service A on 5000 miles dont u have to do 13000 miles to get oil change? why r they doin it so early?? so dont i have to do 1500 more miles n then service B?
Do it whenever the ECU tells you
Old 01-22-2007, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C55
Originally Posted by slammedcclass
I have to do Service B in 3 days so how much do they charge and what do they do for service B and u think they will change every thing they are suppose to?

and do i have to do it in 3 days cuz i have 16500 miles and i did service A on 5000 miles dont u have to do 13000 miles to get oil change? why r they doin it so early?? so dont i have to do 1500 more miles n then service B?
you better dude or your car will explode!
Old 01-22-2007, 12:34 PM

cclass05
Originally Posted by 14cue
you better dude or your car will explode!
are u serious?? im goin to do it right now
Old 01-22-2007, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's not what they charge for Service B that's expensive, it's usually about $300. It's all the extras they find, even stuff your car doesn't need but they need the extra money. Like brakes, even if you don't need pads. I can't remember a time when I went to any dealer for maintenance and they didn't tell me I need brakes, haha!
Old 01-22-2007, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by Buellwinkle
Like brakes, even if you don't need pads.
I had <1kMiles on a set of Porterfield pads and they told me they were 40% worn. The pads lasted another 75kmiles. FJ, NB. However, on a positive note...they replaced (extended warranty) both front control arms when one of them was leaking. I believe it all depends on what kind of time "the book" gives them and whether or not they think they can beat it.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:36 PM

cclass05
Originally Posted by mleskovar
I had <1kMiles on a set of Porterfield pads and they told me they were 40% worn. The pads lasted another 75kmiles. FJ, NB. However, on a positive note...they replaced (extended warranty) both front control arms when one of them was leaking. I believe it all depends on what kind of time "the book" gives them and whether or not they think they can beat it.
i will just tell them i dont give a F*** what my car needs i just want my service B. so any idea of what the might say my car needs other than brakes and and tires. if they say i need brakes i will be like i dont give a F*** as long as the car stops. i told them that last time and they said if i dont change the pads right now i will need new rotors damn liers my car only had 10000. i rmember them saying 20% something i was like ok just do wat u gotta do.

last time they are like u need rear tires u want to change them for just 500$ i was like no thx.

Last edited by slammedcclass; 01-22-2007 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:05 PM

2006 C230SS Blue/Black, 2003 SL500 Silver/Black
Just stay the hell away from Fletcher Jones. Talk about idiots. I have a 2003 SL500 that I bought from them. They screwed me and told me that they would make it up on the next purchase. My brother, my accountant, two of my friends and I (this plus the fact that my father has purchased 10+ Mercs from them over the years) came in and bought C230s. Five cars. They put me under my brother's car and him under mine. We had to pay off the loans and get new ones under the proper VINs at a cost of $1,000. Took six months to get all of the money back and they refuse to honor their bargain and get me the free Nav that they promised. Never again.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:53 PM

2007 C230 Sport manual
MB of Manhattan (NYC, that is) is very good. My service adviser refused to replace the transmission fluid (manual) in my 2004 SS, because he said it was required only at 100,000. I also one time had a bad flat tire from a hugely ragged pot hole on Park Avenue that damn near broke my back....they told me I was lucky I did NOT need a new wheel.

I think every industry has its good and its bad. If you find the good, stay with it.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:32 PM
Banned

05 C55
This is a good awareness thread I must admit.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:45 PM
Banned

05 C55
Angry Real Talk Dealers Not Giving Loaner Cars Out Anymore ? The Last Mb I Will Drive

This is crazy. I bought my car from Mercedes Benz of North Haven, and I live in Manhattan and MB of Manhattan is telling me I cannot recieve a loaner vehicle unless I purchased the automobile there. I use to be able to get a loaner vehicle, but now they changed the rule. I checked several other MB dealers and they say the same thing. What type of BS is this ?
I have an 05 C55 I purchased for a good price in CT but MB Manhattan expects for me to just wait 5 days until my car is finished. I dont want to drive back to CT just so I can get a loaner vehicle. On top of that they also charging $30 fee for fuel and cleaning that must be paid upon reciet of loaner at MB New Haven. This is just rediculous. I drive an expensive luxury automobile, and their is something wrong with it I cant get a loaner unless it was purchased there, and If I go back to where I purchased it from they are charging me a fee. This is just out right BS. I feel like getting rid of my car now. This is such a total inconvience. This type of mess helps dealers lose potential customers. The customer service has gone down on MB part. Why do they do this ? Has anyone else experienced this. This should end. What difference does it make whether or not you purchased the automobile there or not ? They still get paid. This is outright lame.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:59 PM

MB
Originally Posted by scottw
MB of Manhattan (NYC, that is) is very good. My service adviser refused to replace the transmission fluid (manual) in my 2004 SS, because he said it was required only at 100,000. I also one time had a bad flat tire from a hugely ragged pot hole on Park Avenue that damn near broke my back....they told me I was lucky I did NOT need a new wheel.

I think every industry has its good and its bad. If you find the good, stay with it.
MB of Manhattan provides great service, but that may come at high price. One thing is for sure, they never lied about need to replace parts.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I have yet to own a Benz. But for any car I have owned I see what the book says must be done that I cannot do myself, and that's what I pay to have done. It's usually a small fraction of what the dealer would do, LOF, an air filter every 30k or so, maybe a few other small things like lubing or tightening this and that.

The visual inspections I can do myself whenever I go to the tire shop for a rotation or an independent shop for an oil change. They'll generally let you in when the car is on a lift to give the various suspension and driveline bits a look, and a tug here and there. Not the sort of thing I'd personally pay hundreds of dollars for.

I highly doubt many mechanics thoroughly inspect all the parts they're supposed to inspect under these services. Even if they do, it's easy money.

Maybe there's something special about a Benz that requires a few hours worth of visual inspection. If so, please clue me in.

Now for the downside of this approach: if you ever require out-of-warranty assistance, you're far more likely to get it if you've had the car regularly serviced at a specific dealer. You don't need to do everything they say you should do, but having them do at least the minimum is probably a good idea if you'll have the car after the warranty is over.

Last edited by mkaresh; 01-22-2007 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:30 PM

'05 C230Kss
who here on the forums does their own oil change? post up pictures for a DIY?
Theres a condensed list of whats really required during the service A/B posted somewhere in the forums. I'll see if I can find it again and ask a moderator to sticky a maintenance thread.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 BMW X3M Comp
Originally Posted by BKLYN_C
MB of Manhattan provides great service, but that may come at high price. One thing is for sure, they never lied about need to replace parts.
MB Manhattan is no more expensive than any other MB dealership. I doubt you'll see MB Manhattan suggesting parts that aren't needed or taking advantage of customers... They're a corporate owned dealer and the last thing they need is to be featured on 20/20, 48hrs or 60 min in one of those hidden camera dealership scams. AS far as dealers are concerned, they're pretty much on the up and up.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 BMW X3M Comp
Originally Posted by w203powerdbyAMG
This is crazy. I bought my car from Mercedes Benz of North Haven, and I live in Manhattan and MB of Manhattan is telling me I cannot recieve a loaner vehicle unless I purchased the automobile there. I use to be able to get a loaner vehicle, but now they changed the rule. I checked several other MB dealers and they say the same thing. What type of BS is this ?
I have an 05 C55 I purchased for a good price in CT but MB Manhattan expects for me to just wait 5 days until my car is finished. I dont want to drive back to CT just so I can get a loaner vehicle. On top of that they also charging $30 fee for fuel and cleaning that must be paid upon reciet of loaner at MB New Haven. This is just rediculous. I drive an expensive luxury automobile, and their is something wrong with it I cant get a loaner unless it was purchased there, and If I go back to where I purchased it from they are charging me a fee. This is just out right BS. I feel like getting rid of my car now. This is such a total inconvience. This type of mess helps dealers lose potential customers. The customer service has gone down on MB part. Why do they do this ? Has anyone else experienced this. This should end. What difference does it make whether or not you purchased the automobile there or not ? They still get paid. This is outright lame.
Even though you're banned, I'll still respond...

I'm guessing there is another side to this story. I didn't buy my C32 from MB Manhattan but they gave me a loaner whenever they had one. For the most part, I rarely needed a loaner but when I did, I had one or they'd pay for a rental. They don't have a lot of loaners available so you usually need to reserve one. If I didn't need one, they had a free shuttle. If I couldn't wait for the shuttle or was in a hurry, they requested a car service for me.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
[QUOTE=benze-ply;1954573] post up pictures for a DIY? QUOTE]

Go to http://installuniversity.com
Old 01-22-2007, 08:02 PM

'05 C230Kss
cool. thanks . i forgot about his website. now we need one for the m271 engine.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:14 PM

2006 C230SS Blue/Black, 2003 SL500 Silver/Black
Originally Posted by NY C32
Even though you're banned, I'll still respond...

I'm guessing there is another side to this story. I didn't buy my C32 from MB Manhattan but they gave me a loaner whenever they had one. For the most part, I rarely needed a loaner but when I did, I had one or they'd pay for a rental. They don't have a lot of loaners available so you usually need to reserve one. If I didn't need one, they had a free shuttle. If I couldn't wait for the shuttle or was in a hurry, they requested a car service for me.
Why would someone get banned after only 4 posts?
Old 01-22-2007, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One with 4 wheels
Hmm.....with all that's been said, anyone know of an honest, independent MB service facility in Houston, TX?
Old 01-22-2007, 08:45 PM

MB
Originally Posted by NY C32
MB Manhattan is no more expensive than any other MB dealership. I doubt you'll see MB Manhattan suggesting parts that aren't needed or taking advantage of customers... They're a corporate owned dealer and the last thing they need is to be featured on 20/20, 48hrs or 60 min in one of those hidden camera dealership scams. AS far as dealers are concerned, they're pretty much on the up and up.
This what they charged me:

Flexible Service System A: Total: $183.95
Flexible Service System B: Total: $498.95

In reality it should come out like $230 and $545 (K&N filter doesn't get replaced)

And just few posts above yellowrama posted his charges:

Services were done in MB of Laguna Niguel in CA.
Service A was US$143.56 total, June 2005
Service B was US$356.13 total, April 2006

But on the other hand I saw posts where people complaned about $350 for an A service.
The point is I am happy with them

Oh, forgot about little freebies they give out. That also makes you feel better.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:14 PM
Banned

05 C230
There has been alot of scams lately. Just make sure your car is covered under warranty. I wouldnt even buy parts at the dealer.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:41 AM
Banned

05 C230
Read my post it should be a STICK ABOUT THIS ON EVERY FORUM RELATED TO STEALERSHIP SCAMMING.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:37 AM

2013 c300 4matic, 2002 c240
http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs...73271030730711

back home in ohio, I can see vin devers getting sued. They charged me for looking to see if something is wrong with the speaker, yet it is covered under warranty and never fixed it. On top of that, everything that is wrong with the car they blame it on an accident I got into 3 yrs ago, even though the accident is unrelated to the problem (or a previous recurring one), just because I had repairs done at a body shop that knows how to fix cars.

I hope they lose their franchise. I would totally open one instead.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:56 PM
Banned

I'd just like to ad again, out of spite, that "MERCEDES-BENZ OF TAMPA" is one of these crooks... If you are in florida, and need service, stay away from this place. THey have cost me thousands of unnecessary dollars.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:24 AM

C320 Coupe
thx for telling me those, almost as bad in my local mercedes dealership, i think they earning too much so they start acting like this. Now i know i shouldn't even bother with extended warranty

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Service scams, beware...