C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Garmin Nuvi Ashtray Install Questions.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 08:45 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Neat install. The Nuvi is a slightly bigger unit than my Mio Digiwalker, so I imagine that's the reason for the dremel tool. My GPS fits within the ashtray without any carving, and is removable for use in other cars. For me that was the only difference (other than price) in choosing what I bought, as my research distilled the choices down to the Mio or the Nuvi, both excellent units. It's good that these units are now so advanced that an external antenna is NOT needed.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...&highlight=MIO

Originally Posted by white_203
nice clean install. can u still close the ashtray???
Amazing. You asked exactly the same question in my thread, when in both cases the first post clearly answered the question. Do you even bother reading these threads, or do you just oggle the pictures?
Old 01-28-2007, 11:56 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05' c230K
Originally Posted by flush
Can I get specific instructions on how you wired the Garmin into the cig lighter? Consider me a total and complete noob at this but I am getting tired of using my cig lighter all the time for my nuvi.

Garmin makes great products, the glare on the screen is only noticeable upon direct sunlight on the screen, otherwise, very readable in day/night modes (auto-switching)

www.nuvipassion.com for the garmin nuvi forums, more info there (much like how mbworld is for w203)
Yes for all those asking I can close the ashtray lid still. As far as wiring the cig lighter, this is what I did. For those wondering the Garmin 660 includes a traffic receiver, which is incorporated into the plug that goes into the cig lighter. This plug is about 4-5 inches long, and although I love getting live traffic updates and reroutes based on avoiding traffic, the plug sucks.

1) Took off the silver gear select face (pops right off)

2) Removed the silver center divider trim (the one under the gear select face and around the cup holder (pops of also, after the gear select face is removed.

3) Removed the entire ashtray assembly, including cig lighter. Unplug the cig lighter.

4) Dremmeled out the square box in the ashtray that the cig lighter is stuck into. This gave me a lot more room for the Nuvi and also allowed the antenna to go up.

5) Dremmeled the cig lighter out of the plastic that I just removed.

6) Took off the silver trim off the lid of the ashtray.

7) Dremmeled the black plastic lid (NOT THE SILVER TRIM) so that the only part of the lid still attached is on the sides where they attach to the ashtray. So you will have two separate sidepieces moving independently instead of one large pieced going across. I did this because the piece that goes across ads about 1/2 in depth to the lid, which sucks up all the headroom in the ashtray.

9. On the bottom of the silver trim used the dremmel to flatten any nubs or plastic parts that stuck down (there are a few) that DO NOT FUNCTION in the reattachment of it to the two side ashtray parts.

8) Attached the silver trim back to the two attached sidepieces. This is the only place this attached anyhow so it did not lose any functionality.
Used a little plastic bonding glue to keep in place. I was surprised at how easy this piece came off in the first place.

9) Used black Velcro on the sides of the Nuvi and the inside of the ashtray. The Nuvi takes up all the space so I put the Velcro far enough in it that it is not visible. Also used Velcro to keep the antenna up by propping it up on the back to the interior of the ashtray.

10) I had to Dremmel out a small square out of the bottom front of the ashtray to give the data cord some room to come out of the Nuvi without pinching it to much on the bottom of the ashtray. This is only to give it room; nothing is wired through this hole.

11) I didn’t feel like rewiring the whole traffic receiver so I ran the cig lighter cord and socket along the side of the ashtray bay (where the cell phone cord runs) and into the center console. There is a ton of unused space in there. I plugged the traffic receiver/power cord into the lighter and wrapped the whole thing in electrical tape (just in case) and ran the Garmin cord back up the ashtray bay. (So the entire plug and socket are next to the gearbox selector)

12) Stuck the ashtray back in, plugged the cord into the Garmin.

13) Put the center console and the gear selector back on.

And there is no glare, even if the sunroof is open.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW e92 335i
^ nice DIY write up..
Old 01-28-2007, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
nice install!

for people that think this is a bad position, it's not, the angle is pretty good and you can see things although you have to glance down... (I have my V1 concealed display in the same position essentially.)
Old 01-28-2007, 12:59 PM
Almost a Member!

05' c230K
So today i have changed it up a little. I have installed the MBZ harness that allows an external audio source to be plugged into a port in the glovebox. It cost me 45 bucks at the dealer. I have a cable running from the glovebox through the dash, under the center console and into the top of the arm rest. I have my IPOD in there and can play music through the AUX function on the MBZ headunit. (There are a few writeups on how to install this harness, just search). Today I added a splitter at the site of the port in the glovebox and have the IPOD cable and an additional cable running into it. The additional cable is running through the dash and into the back of the Garmin where there is an audio output.

So now when im cruising along listening to my IPOD through my AUX on my headunit all my Garmin sound functions carry over the music. I like this , some people might be annoyed) This includes any phone calls I make as the Garmin features a bluetooth handsfree phone connection and it even uploads your cell phone contact info and you can dial right from the Garmin. If i get a phone call comming through and i hear a ring over the music I pause the ipod and take the call. Also I have the music level on the IPOD set lower than the Garmin on the units themselves, so no matter how loud I turn up the volume on the headunit, the Garmin and IPOD correspond in pair with the Garmin talking over the music. Works for me.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C55, w211 E55, ML320 CDI
Great idea. I should have thought of that with my Nuvi 350. Although it doesn't have the bluetooth, hearing the voice commands over the speakers would be a nice addition. Thanks for sharing. Maybe I should get the 660 or 360 now?
Old 01-28-2007, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
V12TT
that looks nice! good job