C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

How to lock yourself out of the car :-(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2002, 06:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 C63S E1 (sold 2012 C63 AMG Sedan (Premium & APX)) & 09 C300 Sport 4Matic
How to lock yourself out of the car :-(

OK, here is the situation.

Your car is locked. You walk up to it, push the unlock button on your key and the car unlocks. You open the door and place your jacket on the rear seat. Your key happens to be back in your jacket pocket as you placed it there to free your hands to also put a package in the trunk afterwards.

Now the car is unlocked, all doors closed, your key is in your jacket pocket in the car.

You are distracted by a friend who walks over and you chat for a few minutes. meanwhile, your car locks itself automatically as you never placed your key in the ignition. Hey even your cell phone and wallet is in your locked car.

Having a good day!

Any way to disable this wonderfull feature. I understand the original intent, if the car is unlocked by accident and nor started it locks again, but ....

Last edited by Pit-Pony; 09-22-2002 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09-22-2002, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C300 4matic
The way it is supposed to work is that if you open a door, they will stay unlocked. So if you unlock the car and don't open a door, then it will lock itself and you should still have the key. I don't see why yours would be any different. You should see your dealer, unless anyone else knows of a reason why this might happen.
Old 09-22-2002, 07:18 PM

E350 Coupe (2010)
Sticky door sensor... probably
Old 09-22-2002, 07:37 PM

Exclamation Locked out

I have made my wife an extra key she keeps with her so she does not have that situation happen, Also think about a hide-a-key. Keep in mind you cannot use a Mercedes Benz key, they are steel and will rust, you need to have a key copied in brass and that will help you not to get locked out. This is good if you are traveling a lot. You do not want anyone to try to open a Benz using car opening tools, they can damage the car.
Old 09-22-2002, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

pit-pony,
I would double check with someone else on how the auto lock feature should work. I'm pretty certain that if you unlock the car and open a door.. the car shouldn't lock automatically... The design is to auto lock if none of the doors were ever opened...

I am pretty sure of this because I remember testing this out when I had my car... maybe you should talk to your dealer and see if this is how it's supposed to work....
Old 09-22-2002, 10:15 PM

You are right. I tested it out. I tried to repeat my incident today but could not reproduce it . Hmmmm. I have a call in to the dealer, but they ?don't know?, need to have the car etc. etc.

Will be very careful in the future of where I keep my key.

Speaking of keys, they replaced one already a couple of months ago, didn't work half the time and now the other key is giving me the same problem. The dealer reports some software glitch with keys and they have a second on order for me.

Maybe that's what's happening, bad keys....
Old 09-22-2002, 11:06 PM

Originally posted by Pit-Pony
You are right. I tested it out. I tried to repeat my incident today but could not reproduce it . Hmmmm. I have a call in to the dealer, but they ?don't know?, need to have the car etc. etc.

Will be very careful in the future of where I keep my key.

Speaking of keys, they replaced one already a couple of months ago, didn't work half the time and now the other key is giving me the same problem. The dealer reports some software glitch with keys and they have a second on order for me.

Maybe that's what's happening, bad keys....

Keys are mechanical, they only open the door and trunk what problem you are having is the transmitter button.

Last edited by Lockbuster; 09-22-2002 at 11:11 PM.
Old 09-23-2002, 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Originally posted by Lockbuster
Keys are mechanical, they only open the door and trunk what problem you are having is the transmitter button.
Lockbuster, the mechanical key is only an emergency backup. If you open the door with it, your alarm will go off and you still need the "smart key" to shut the alarm off. When most C-Class people talk of the "key", they are referring to the smart key. Pit-Pony's problem is that his car apparently re-locked by itself after he unlocked it and opened at least one door. This should not happen. I think it's highly unlikely that the button on the smart key which was in his coat pocket inside the car was activated and caused the doors to relock. It was probably a glitch with the auto relock feature which was already mentioned. That's my $.02. :p
Old 09-23-2002, 12:11 PM

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 AMG C63S Coupe
Maybe the car does not autolock only when you open the front door? Sounded like he put his coat on the rear seat (i.e., opened the rear door)??
Old 09-23-2002, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
Should work with any door, and I think even the trunk.
Old 09-23-2002, 06:48 PM

Thanks guys. I'm having it checked but can't reproduce again.

In my old 96 C220, there was a "spare metal key" that came with the car which you could keep in a wallet. Hey but it also had a crazy alarm set up that would go off with you IN the car.

..jack
Old 09-23-2002, 08:31 PM

Originally posted by MarkL
Lockbuster, the mechanical key is only an emergency backup. If you open the door with it, your alarm will go off and you still need the "smart key" to shut the alarm off. When most C-Class people talk of the "key", they are referring to the smart key. Pit-Pony's problem is that his car apparently re-locked by itself after he unlocked it and opened at least one door. This should not happen. I think it's highly unlikely that the button on the smart key which was in his coat pocket inside the car was activated and caused the doors to relock. It was probably a glitch with the auto relock feature which was already mentioned. That's my $.02. :p

True the alarm will go off when you unlock the car with the mechanical key however all you are doing is gaining access to the vehicle to retrieve the remote.

I am reading on Page 33 of the owners manual that "If within 40 seconds of unlocking with the remote control neither door or trunk is opened, the electronic key is not inserted in the starter switch, or the central locking switch is not activated, the vehicle will automatically lock.

Now I know he stated that he had the doors open to put his jacket in the vehicle then shut the doors so maybe this is where the glitch is????