C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Clicking, popping behind left ear in coupe.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2002, 07:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 VW GTI
Clicking, popping behind left ear in coupe.

Anyone hear this annoying clicking in their coupe? I thought it was something on the B-pillar, but turns out to be the seat latch moving around and squeaking.
Old 09-24-2002, 09:34 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Originally posted by C230Jeff
I've heard a little tick/click in the seatbelt height adjustment lever in the C320, but not [yet] in the coupe.
Jeff, I have exactly the same noise in my C320. It's not loud, and I can only hear it with the radio off and all windows closed, etc. I can move the adjuster up or down and it goes away, temporarilly. An intermittant nuisance.

...Or maybe I should consider a Lemon-Law filing?
Old 09-24-2002, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Originally posted by C230Jeff
I've heard a little tick/click in the seatbelt height adjustment lever in the C320, but not [yet] in the coupe.
That's the first place I looked, but I started to notice the clicks everytime my weight shifted. I grabbed the latch and noticed the clicking stopped. I might try to lube it up with something until service B comes up.
Old 09-24-2002, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 VW GTI
i have the same problem, but i can't seem to verify what's making the sound. the interior build quality of the C class sucks in my opinion, especially when you compare it to other benz models.
Old 09-24-2002, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Session, I'm going to "preload" the latch with an object to see if the noise definitely goes away. It seemed to stop while I was holding it with my hand while driving. It is CRAZY annoying- right in the ear. I have zero tolerance for clicks anyway.

I like the DESIGN of the c-class interiors the best. I can't comment on quality as this is my first.
Old 09-24-2002, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
I don't have you're problem, avlis, but I do have some kind of pop that comes from the front passenger side dash/a-pillar area. I think it's a temperature change thing as it only pops once within the first few minutes of driving with the air conditioner operating on a hot day. Perhaps one of session's build quality issues.

Cheers, BT
Old 09-24-2002, 01:10 PM
JeT

Re: Clicking, popping behind left ear in coupe.

Originally posted by avlis
Anyone hear this annoying clicking in their coupe? I thought it was something on the B-pillar, but turns out to be the seat latch moving around and squeaking.
I have that problem intermittently. I think its the actual sealt belt retract mechanism. My friend has an old car that makes the noise. Actually, its only happended a handful of times and when it does has I've given it a yank and then its fine again!
Old 09-25-2002, 08:37 AM

Probably the seatbelt ratchet mechanism. It would be more noticeable when you turn a corner. Just doing what it is supposed to do.
Old 09-25-2002, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 VW GTI
Originally posted by trench
I don't have you're problem, avlis, but I do have some kind of pop that comes from the front passenger side dash/a-pillar area. I think it's a temperature change thing as it only pops once within the first few minutes of driving with the air conditioner operating on a hot day. Perhaps one of session's build quality issues.
i have that problem too. i also have pops from the plastic trim around the rear window, the center console aluminum, the plastic around the shifter, and the armrest.

i also have zero tolerance for pops/clicks.

i love my car but driving it without the radio on or the windows down is frustrating.
Old 09-25-2002, 08:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
It's definitely not the ratchet mech. I thought it might be the height adjuster, but when I reach over my shoulder and lift slightly on the seat latch handle, the noise stops. I might run it by the dealer because I can't see any way to fix it myself.
Old 10-01-2002, 07:01 PM

2002 C240 C2,C4,C5 Clear Bra, Bose, Pinstriping
I had the same problem. It was extremely irritating. The service
department looked at it but was not able to fix it and they gave me this bull**** story that MB will not allow them to touch or lubricate the assembly on the seat belt.
I had a host of other problems but I have a new car now.
Old 10-02-2002, 12:42 AM

2002 C230K, Auto, etc.
Clicking noise

I too have the same noise. A clicking/rattle type noise that can be heard when I go over even the smallest bunps or tar strips. It's driving me nuts as I have no patience for such noise.
I've checked the rear window moldings. The wire going into the rear trunk lid, the spare tire well, the first-aid kit and the other fender well. I've checked the seat hinges, the rear head rests you name it and I can't find the damn thing.
My conclusion is that it has to be the seatbelt rackets. It's the only thing I can't check. It seems when I speed up or turn it stops.

BTW: I have also had the computer tell me to see the dealer due to BAS, ESP and ABS faults. When I reset the computer they go away.

Finally made an appointment with the dealer to have them find the clicking and to check the computer malfunctions.

If they fix the noise I'll let the forum know for sure what it was.
Old 10-02-2002, 07:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
I removed the headrest the other day and drove around. Noise was still there. I stuffed a ball of paper under the seat latch to preload it and that didn't work either. It also happens whether or not I wear the seat belt. I tried moving the seatbelt height adjuster, that didn't work.

I guess it's off to the shop...I need to pick up my SL parking brake cover anyway...
Old 10-02-2002, 09:40 AM

C320
I had the same problem on my 2003 C240, I thought the rattle came from the same belt but it instead it came from the passenger side seat belt fastener, (where the seat belt latch attaches). Replaced under warranty and the rattle went away.
Old 10-02-2002, 07:10 PM

C230 Sport Coupe
Same problem here - had it checked out though a while back. They took it apart and put it back together and said there was nothing that could be done.
Old 10-05-2002, 12:12 AM

2002 C230K, Auto, etc.
Clicking noise

I took my car to Fletcher Jones in Newport Beach today to have them check the noise that's been driving me nuts. I think I now understand what Chinese Water torture is all about. Anyhow after having one sit in the rear while another tech drove the car they finally figured out the problem. It was the molding surrounding the rear window. It was flexing causing the noise. It seems one of the panels was slightly warped. They ordered a complete molding kit...under warranty for sure.

I had also been experiencing faults that showed up on the computer with the ESP, ABS and BAS. This was corrected by installing a complete new wiring harness. They were aware of this problem.

Insofar as they were very busy my service writer hooked me up with a 2002 E320 to drive for the day. It seems that if you have a 2003, 02, 01 or even a 00 Mercedes the loaner will be a Mercedes. Nice. The car was finished as scheduled and was washed and delivered with a bottle of designer water sitting in the holder.

Footnote: Several folks have stated that the oil in the car at the time of delivery was NOT Mobil 1. Not true. It's Mobil 1 15/50. Secondly at least at this dealer they do not suck the oil out. They drain the oil using the plug. They did say they think sucking it out would allow them to get more of the old oil out but as of now they are continuing to do it the old fashioned way.

While there I asked the mechanic if I could see under the car. No problem and he put it on a lift and we started from the front checking everything. He took off the engine cover so we could see the trans and oil pan. Even the area above the exhaust is covered in sound deading material similar to what you find in the rear wheel well. This car is better finished underneath then a GM car is inside. I couldn't believe all the extra little things they do. Too many to go into but if you get a chance to look at your car on a lift by all means do so and you will see the difference pride makes.

I've read many posts of people unhappy with their dealer but I have to say Fletcher Jones has exceeded all my expectations thus far.

Old 10-05-2002, 02:10 AM

2002 C230 Coupe
When I have the passenger side sun visor down there is noise from the visor light. There is no noise when it's up. When I push on the light and hold the noise goes away. But the light itself doesn't seem loose, it's something inside the lining causing this.

has anybody experienced this?
Old 10-05-2002, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
This car is better finished underneath then a GM car is inside. I couldn't believe all the extra little things they do. Too many to go into but if you get a chance to look at your car on a lift by all means do so and you will see the difference pride makes.
I touched on this topic last spring after I removed the belly pans to clean a spill. I spent 1/2 hour under there admiring the thought and quality that went into an area that most owners will never see. I was shocked to see all that sound deading material too.

Thanks for the info on the noise. The rear window molding sounds like a likely culpret. I'm going to make a service appointment soon.

Last edited by avlis; 10-05-2002 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-06-2002, 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 VW GTI
i've already taken my car into the dealer (euromotorcars) and had them look at the rear molding. they said they "lubed" and "tightened" it, but they couldn't do much more. it seems the molding around the rear window is just cheapo plastic -- i suppose that's what separates the C-class from the CLK-class.