C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

DILEMA: C-coupe or not, PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2001 | 04:19 PM
Almost a Member!

DILEMA: C-coupe or not, PLEASE HELP!

Hi there,
I've been following your newsgroup quite closely for the better part of 6 months now, and as it comes closer to the time when I'm ready to purchase a new car, I'm having more and more trouble deciding. A little background on me, I'm 21 years old, a high tech (dot com) worker in the Seattle/ Bellevue area. My car currently is a zinc yellow Roush Stage 2 2000 Mercury Cougar Special Edition. When the c230 came out, I was immediately intrigued, 25K base, obviously a Mercedes, beautiful car, quality, and I love Orion Blue With all the options I want however, the Mercedes would cost me approximately 30K, so that's my budget. Here's where my dilema comes in, as much as I love luxury, and the Mercedes is so.. well.. MERCEDES, I also have a place in my heart for classic American muscle V8's and such :P I was watching a program on the History channel the other day which detailed the life of Carol Shelby and the cars he created (the Cobra, Mustang Cobra, etc) So, right when I was almost certain I wanted an orion blue c-coupe, I started doing research into the 2001 Mustang SVT Cobra Convertible, which is almost exactly the same price as the C230 I wanted. The positives on the Cobra? We're talking straight power, 320 HP! 0 to 60 in 5.4 seconds,and fully loaded at 30K, also a convertible. Also VERY nice looking. The benefits of the c230? mercedes, mercedes, mercedes, a string of safety features, options, that's just simply put, German. But, it doesn't have the 320 horses, and quite frankly, as a 21 year old kid who's never driven a car that fast, the thought excites me. So here in lies my dilema, WHAT SHOULD I GET?? I'm going to paste pictures of both cars EXACTLY as I would buy them, same color, options etc.

#1: 2001 SVT Mustang Cobra: http://www.stangnet.com/2001cobra/imagepage13.htm

#2: 2002 Orion Blue C-230 Kompressor C-Coupe:
http://www.usstock.com/coupe/coupe1.htm

So help me out here guys, this is the hardest decision I've ever had to make
Old 12-28-2001 | 04:49 PM

C230K
it's not much of a dilema. You're comparing two very different cars. If you're looking at a cobra, why on earth would you get a convertible. Thoses cars already have enough trouble with body roll. And then there's insurance. 21...good luck.
Old 12-28-2001 | 05:00 PM

C32 AMG, Volvo S80T6
totally different cars

It's comparing apples and oranges. You sound like you want the muscle, in which case get the 320 horses. If you want a reliable, well made, high residual value vehicle, then get the Benz. Or you can get a C32 and that will satisfy all your requirements. And most certainly, as mentioned, insurance is much less with the Benz.
Old 12-28-2001 | 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't know if insurance cost is an issue with you, but the C230 should be much cheaper to insure. During my car search last July and August, I seriously considered getting a either a GT or Cobra convertible, in yellow. The Cobras were approaching $35,000.

I decided against the 'stangs for two reasons. First, I already own a '60's technology pony/sports car which will blow the Mustang away. Second, yellow Mustang convertibles are a dime a dozen in my area. One dealer near me had 13 of them lined up with 16 yellow coupes as a display. The other dealer near me had at least 5 yellow convertibles. I didn't want to drive something that everyone else was driving. Only about 20 coupes have been sold in St. Louis, and I have yet to see one anywhere but on the dealers' lots. If you want attention, the C-coupe will get you more than a Mustang, even if it is yellow.

It is a hard decision. Both cars are worthy of consideration, but are so different. Good luck with your decision.
Old 12-28-2001 | 05:12 PM
Deb

2002 C230K Sport Coupe
Go for the C230K and live

But, it doesn't have the 320 horses, and quite frankly, as a 21 year old kid who's never driven a car that fast, the thought excites me.
The mustang is a beautiful, tempting car. But your own words foretell what your decision should be. However, only you can make that decision. May I suggest that you strongly consider the C230K? It is a zippy, fun, gorgeous car with lots of good safety features designed to try to save us from our most reckless tendencies. However, don't order the Orion blue, it is highly overrated. Please, be safe whichever car you buy.
Deb
Old 12-28-2001 | 06:16 PM
Almost a Member!

First let me say thank you for all the insightful comments/ advice I've received. I'd like to respond to a couple points that were mentioned.
#1, I realize these are VERY different cars, but to the extent that they are effectively the EXACT same price for me, that rationale makes them directly comparable to me. Price is the first thing I look at, and these 2 are at the 30K mark I'm shooting for.

#2 On body roll, I was concerned about the same thing, but after having read like 5 reviews on the 2001 SVT CObra, all say that body roll even in the test convertible they had was negligent. So that is no longer a concern for me

#3 On the point that there are a lot of yellow stang convertibles, this is true, BUT this isn't a regular v6 or GT stang, this would be a cobra, and if you look at production numbers, cobras are not at all widely spread. The Cobra is an SVT mustang. But you are correct in that the c-coupe would be much more unique, and thats something im weighing in my decision.

#4 I didn't think about insurance,is the Mercedes really that much lower?

#5 as far as the C32, I cant afford it

#6 I'd have to get Orion Blue if i got the c230, I love that color!

Thanks alot for all your help!
Old 12-28-2001 | 06:48 PM
Banned

'01 C240/6
My secretary says to get the C230 Hatch, "its far cuter."
Old 12-28-2001 | 06:54 PM

C250 Coupe 2012
Sounds like you are set on getting the Mustang, go for it.
Old 12-28-2001 | 08:35 PM

1991 mr2 turbo, 2002 coupe
I don't know exactly but a stang convertible WILL cost you a bundle, I would definitely check into that before going any further.
Consider your driving habits, does fast in a straight line do it for you? Does the interior of the Mustang please you, I think its pretty crude and outdated personally. Resale value will be a big difference. Is practicality and utility a factor? Will it be a factor in the coming years? Keep in mind also that you can chip the C230 easily up to 230, and even 250hp if you're willing to spend the $. However, if its sheer power and torque you're craving you'd sell far short on the C230, as sometimes there is no substitute for displacement.

My last bit: drive them both again back to back- without the salesmen if possible, on varying terrain and pick the one that finds its way to your soul. It would feel good to buy American now, maybe that's one last thing to consider.

Why is everyone ripping orion blue?- many are too cheap to go for the extra 640 I think. Those pics were nice by the way.

C230/6-speed/orion/C7/changer on order due in Feb!
Old 12-28-2001 | 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My past car was a Mustang Convertible and my current car is the C-Coupe so I can speak from experience. The Mustang has been a great, reliable, fun car. The strong points on the Mustang is it's drop top and muscle. The weaknesses on the Mustang is noise and poor handling. The main reason I didn't consider a new Mustang was that they are coming out with a new one in two years that will be based on the t-bird chassis. This is intriguing to me as the GTs handle like crap when the pavement gets uneven and I lost it too many times. Although the Cobra has IRS, I've heard that it didn't improve the handling that much because of the body flex, and Mustangs do flex. The skid path grip numbers in magazines are meaningless because they drive around in a smooth circle that doesn't represent real life. The plus on the C-Coupe is solid feel, quiet, 4 years free maintenance, better treatment at the dealer, less maintenance, higher tech features over the Mustang (10 airbags, ESP, one touch up/down power windows, trip computer, telescopic steering wheel, more seat adjustments), way more rear seat leg room. I know it's a tough choice because I really like convertibles but I got over it and I'm happy with my C-coupe and my daughter is happy with the Mustang. If horsepower is important to you then consider the Wetteraur pulley & air intake kit for $1,200 that will take you from 192 to 230 HP and then do a dual exhaust and you can probably pickup another 5-10 HP. That will get you at least into GT territory and possibly Cobra. The 227 HP Subaru WRX does 0-60 in 5.4 seconds so I think the C230 is capable of it.

Good Luck!
Old 12-28-2001 | 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
Ford vs. Benz

These are two very different cars. The Cobra, in my opinion, is for poseurs or drag racers only. They don't handle worth crap. The body flexes like a rusted out Renault Caravelle, destroying handling ability on real-world roads. Honestly, a Renault Le Car on 145 SR 13 tires would outhandle a Mustang on a twisting mountain road (I know this from first-hand experience). I think the Mustang is based on the Ford Fairmont platform from 1977, itself based upon the Pinto, so surprise surprise that it handles like a 1960s-70s car. I am not a fan of the styling either - it looks like a cheap kit-car to me, actually something like the just-finished generation of the Mercedes SL, which I did not like at all either. The Mustang will depreciate like nobody's business.

Have you ever owned a convertible? I hate them. They are drafty, noisy, insecure, unpleasant to crash in (especially rollovers) and very uncomfortable to be in at anything above 30 MPH. You will get sunburn on the back of your neck. Your hair (and that of your passenger(s)) will be lashed about by the backdrafts. I far prefer Coupés.

The C 230K also has unusual styling, but to me it looks FAR better than the Mustang. It is way stiffer than any Mustang, even with the Panorama roof, which (as an aside) probably weakens the structure significantly compared to the tintop (see cracked windshield thread). I'm sure the C handles twice as well as the Mustang in real world conditions. It should be worth at least twice as much as the Mustang after 10 years.

You should really examine the reasons that these two disparate cars "appeal" to you. Think about what you really value in a car, where you drive and how you drive, and then make a final decision based upon those criteria, not the concept that both "cost around $30K".
Old 12-28-2001 | 09:28 PM

2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
I think Bullwinkle said it best. The Mustang is an older car design (frame, engine, technology, suspension, etc.) that is still around because it is very cheap to manufacture.

The C230 Sports Coupe is a state-of-the-art piece of German engineering featuring many of the features that come in much more expensive cars. Features like 6 airbags, traction control, anti-slip control, panic braking support, anti-dive suspension, turn-signal repeaters, auto-diming rear-view mirrors, homelink control, service advisor computer, etc.

It also features some neat sporty features such as the 6 speed gear box, steering wheel controlled computer/radio/etc., dual zone A/C, air filter, auto-lights, auto-wiper, Panoramic dual-sunroof (major cool), etc.

Finally, on the image front, the C230 Sports Coupe gives you a brand, shape, look, and design that is fantastically rare (depending on where you read, only 12,000 to 17,000 being imported) and highly regarded. While the Cobra is rare, only a car enthusiast knows it is any different than a low-cost basement-priced non-GT Mustang convertible. They all basically look the same and there are hundreds of thousands of them.

My personal arbritraty comparison checklist:

Raw Performance: Advantage Cobra
Driver's Enjoyment: Advantage C230
Vehicle Refinement: Advantage C230
Resale Value: Advantage C230
Reliability: Advantage C230
Impressing a Third-Party: Advantage C230
Trying to blend-in and be one-of-the-masses: Advantage Cobra

Price wise, my Magma Red C230 w/ C7 Package (17" sports wheels, sport pedals, short shifter, sport muffler tip, color matching door handles) and C5 Premium Package (panoramic sunroof, rain sensor, leather, BOSE) came to $29,045 MSRP, under your budget. Enough left over if you want to add Benz's own CD Changer, or third party FM in-dash CD Player or Satellite Radio.
Old 12-28-2001 | 11:05 PM
Almost a Member!

"You should really examine the reasons that these two disparate cars "appeal" to you." Quote from MikeT.

I couldn't agree with you more I've been seriously considering extensive psychotherapy from Dr. Frasier Crane (I am in Seattle you know ) Seriously, I know exactly what you mean, I've been quite troubled myself that I find myself considering 2 very different cars. I think it reflects the two sides of my life, on one hand, I've always been slightly ahead in school, did 2 years of college in high school, I'm a high tech professional now at 21, and that side of me keeps saying MERCEDES MERCEDES reliable class luxury, and then the other side of me, the 21 year old, keeps whispering in my other ear, drop top 320 HP fine women magnet ZOOM ZOOM! It's quite a dilema

I'd like to thank Bullwinkle, sir your comments were very helpful to me, as you obviously have experience with both of these cars. A couple other comments I acknowledge, I agree that most people can't tell the difference between a Cobra and a standard V6, and that might be a negative. I've also decided to test drive both as somebody else suggested, and see which one I like the best.

I think I'm leaning towards the Mercedes again. Ultimately, the class, reliability, etc appeals to the part of my brain which I think SHOULD make decisions. But, we shall see.
Old 12-28-2001 | 11:13 PM

C230K
wait a minute... you're in seatle... it rains all the time...convertible?...i'd go for the panoramic moonroof
Old 12-28-2001 | 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
You say you have 30k to spend? You want muscle AND safety/quality?

Hmmmm.....while in college, I owned a 68 Shelby GT 350....***** out fast, but I wouldn't want to drive it every day.
Conversely, the creature comforts in my Benz make it a pleasure...no...more like a dream to drive.
Old 12-29-2001 | 01:38 AM
Bud

99 ml320, 2002 C230K
Do you use your car for business at all? Being that you're only 21, showing up in a benz will be infinitely better for your image than in a mustang. The Benz says 'success', the stang says 'youngster'.

As far as gettin some, you'll attract far more attention from the ladies with the Benz than the stang. It also depends on the type of lady you want to attract. If you want a stock-car type gal, get the stang. If you want a classy lassie, get the benz.

Last edited by Bud; 12-29-2001 at 01:41 AM.
Old 12-29-2001 | 01:42 AM

Talking

I feel the same way. I was deciding between the RSX and the Mercedes and the only people I saw driving the RSX are youngsters zooming out of malls. I'm definitely way past that. Class, refinement and the power of that "star" on the hood. Timeless.........
Old 12-29-2001 | 07:14 AM
Out Of Control!!

2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Talking You're 21; live a little

I'd say to go for the cobra. There's always time to settle down on a "nice" car when you're a little older. Though, as someone pointed out, don't know how much you'd use it in Seattle. And you should really check out insurance rates.

Though, I'd check out the Miata, S2000, WRX, '02 GTI VR6 6-speed, and TT if I were in your shoes, and didn't care about how many people to transport (I'm assuming that).

You're right about the Orion, btw.
Old 12-29-2001 | 10:49 AM

black on black 2k2-230k auto/c1/c5/c7/k2c/COMAND/TELEAID/Stage II HIDS
the s2000 and the TT are both out of the price range i think, but damn fine choices.

i am only 24, and i definately felt a draw to a fast car like the wrx for my new ride. but everything felt so cheap inside, the same with the stang, or an f-body. the rsx shouted boy racer.... the benz well it just fit right

greg
Old 12-29-2001 | 07:13 PM

Talking

As a previous owner of several Mustang GT's let me tell you there
is no comparison to the Mercedes. If you want an American
muscle car of dubious assembly quality and poor resale value go
for the Mustang. But as a new Mercedes owner I can tell you the
difference in quality is like night and day.