C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Here's a gadget worth considering: "The Shade"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2001, 10:30 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Here's a gadget worth considering: "The Shade"

Someone posted a URL several weeks ago for this gadget. I just got mine and it works GREAT! No more fumbling with that fold-up suntan girdle, wondering where you put it, moving it from front to rear seat so guests can sit in the passenger side, etc. All of my windows are tinted, and now this toy covers my windshield so my interior is protected completely.

If you live anywhere in the southern states, you know how important this is, not only to lower the temps inside your locked car, but to minimize dash aging in the UV rays (fond flashback of my '77 Honda Accord with thoroughly cracked dash trays). This company is in Tempe AZ, and they DO get the sun there.

Besides, tommy, you can always buy a couple of these for when your Panorama Roof shades finally pack it in (2008).

Let's see if i can post this URL correctly. If not, it's dashdesigns.com

http://www.dashdesigns.com
Old 11-14-2001, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
So you don't find the shade in the stowed position to be a nuisance? I looked at the website before when it was posted, and I wasn't sure I liked the closed shade always sitting there on the right side. I've been using one of the silver cloth shades -- the "2 oval" ones that twist up into a small circle for storage. I can see how the shade one might be more convenient.
Old 11-14-2001, 11:41 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Cool It's good to know

that you don't have to use the girdle anymore. Now, did you wear this girdle in tandem with that belt that's bleeding onto your fake leather, or solo? It's good to see that you're not ashamed of your cross-dressing fetish.

OK, back to reality. Here in the wonderful Northeast, we don't have to worry as much about the affects of the sun on our dashes, so we have the luxury of pointing at the silly sunshields and making jokes about how tacky they are. Now if I were still in the south, I guess that I'd have to think about a product like the one that you're hawking. I thought that you said that you weren't in telemarketing, btw.

Any idea what the weather's supposed to be like down there this weekend? Unless my plane has issues, I'm still coming down to NO on Saturday morning.
Old 11-14-2001, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
Originally posted by MarkL
So you don't find the shade in the stowed position to be a nuisance? I looked at the website before when it was posted, and I wasn't sure I liked the closed shade always sitting there on the right side. I've been using one of the silver cloth shades -- the "2 oval" ones that twist up into a small circle for storage. I can see how the shade one might be more convenient.
i use those NASA-like shades too. once you get the knack of flipping them into the small discs, they're very handy. also, b/c they have a flexible outer ring, they tend to form fit the window relatively decently.
Old 11-14-2001, 12:34 PM

2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
I find the use of a garage at both work and home quite effective.
Old 11-14-2001, 12:36 PM

2002 C240
Compatible with Airbags?

How about the airbags and side curtains, would the shade be a concern? Is it metal? Just a safety check!
Old 11-14-2001, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
Originally posted by Flashman
actually, there is a higher end model of the shades that i have. its a big tent you pop over your car! has built-in AC too!

i wish my office had a covered garage but its just a big lot.
Old 11-14-2001, 01:55 PM

2004 E500 4Matic
Re: Compatible with Airbags?

Originally posted by c240x
How about the airbags and side curtains, would the shade be a concern? Is it metal? Just a safety check!
I've taken the a-pillar trim off and it appears that it deploys from the lower edge of the cover because the airbag itself is below all of the fastening clips. I think I took a picture of it, if you want I can probably dig it up.
Old 11-14-2001, 02:25 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
No nuisance at all...

For MarkL and young: The shade actually mounts to the windshield with two pressure sensitive plastic brackets, so it fits close to the windshield contours with a miimum of space between the shade and glass. In the stowed position, it snuggles against the A-pillar. I don't notice it at all, does not block any vision to the right, and it makes no noise (I originally thought it might rattle, but it doesn't). Also, because the rear view mirror attaches to the roof instead of windshield, the shade easily runs behind the mirror (between the mirror and glass).

Prior to this, I also used the two round silver ovals. They worked OK, but required me to fiddle with the car sunshades to lock them in place, and they often fell down on the dash by the time I returned to the car after work. Not to mention the hassle of finding a place to store them when not in use... they were too big to fit in the door side pockets.

For c240X: The unit is plastic, and is removable from its two mount brackets when you want to clean the windshield (stowage in garage during winter months, etc.) It mounts ahead of the curtain airbags, so couldn't interfere with them, and I believe the front passenger airbag deploys directly at the passenger rather than up to the windshield and then toward passenger (make sense?). The instructions DO suggest not driving the car with the shade in place (a certain airbag moment).

As for you, tommy, there should be enough smoke haze coming from the restaurants in the French Quarter of N.O. to make you feel right at home. Unfortunately, the eateries in N.O. will prove to be more entertainment than the football you will see, I'm afraid. And no, I'm not going to buy a Gucci belt. Heir Daimler would roll in his grave knowing we rubbed Italian leather against his German hides. Besides, the Italians are some really thin people, or at least their belts are too short for me. How's that for sharing?

BTW, "The Shade" is good for an extra 2 HP and .5 mpg.
Old 11-14-2001, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Originally posted by Flashman
So aptly put! Alas, before my company moved to a larger "campus" like building, we had a garage, and like you, I park in a garage at my house. Now I have to park in a large lot where there are a lot of large trees -- I "have" (not reserved) a space with no trees overhanging. But, I do have to deal with the occasional rain, snow, ice...
Old 11-14-2001, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think a sunshade only solves a very small part of the problem. I prefer a full car cover. But I've tried them all and I'm too lazy to even use the simplest car covers or sun shades so I just get a new car every 2 years.
Old 11-14-2001, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
Originally posted by MarkL
Now I have to park in a large lot where there are a lot of large trees -- I "have" (not reserved) a space with no trees overhanging. But, I do have to deal with the occasional rain, snow, ice...
personally, i park away from trees b/c of the sap. if i park under a tree, i notice tiny little deposits of sap (or bug crap, not totally sure what it is). i also park very far away from everyone b/c (1) minimize potential dings, (2) i can see my car from my office and i like to look out once in a while, and (3) need more exercise.
Old 11-14-2001, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 BMW M6, 2008 Ducati 1098, 2008 Ducati Monster S2R1000, 1971 Ducati Scrambler
It is interesting, but it isn't very spectacular looking.
Old 11-14-2001, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Originally posted by young

i also park very far away from everyone b/c (1) minimize potential dings, (2) i can see my car from my office and i like to look out once in a while, and (3) need more exercise.
I can't see my car from my office, but definitely go with 1 & 3! My wife goes crazy when we park somewhere since I need to find a far away "end" spot. It only takes 1 time for a nasty ding. When we were dating (many yrs. ago), I parked my dingless RX-7 close to a restaurant that wasn't busy. When we came out, there was a car parked right next to it (of course, 100's of other spaces free), and a nice ding in the front fender. I was ranting for about 15 mins, and wanted to wait for the people to come out.
Old 11-14-2001, 11:42 PM

black on black 2k2-230k auto/c1/c5/c7/k2c/COMAND/TELEAID/Stage II HIDS
no offense it looks tacky as all hell... a big fake venetian blind for my car.

at least with the stupid collapsable ring shade thing, when i dont use it, you never know i own it.... the "shade" is onmipresent in its ugliness

greg