C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

05 trade-in / 07 pricing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 E350 Sport
05 trade-in / 07 pricing

I took my car in for service B this week and a salesman wanted to know if I'd be interested in trading them my car for an 07 because the pre-owned dept has been wanting 05's. So I told him to crunch some numbers and I'd consider. My car was rear-ended in November and sustained approximately $5k in damage, for which I received a diminished value check of $1.9k. I have 22k miles. Here are the numbers he came up with for an 07 black 230 manual with the only option being an Ipod integration kit:

trade-in $18.5k
new car $29.8k + tax

Now the 07 will not be produced in a few months, so I told the guy he'd have to sell below invoice and his argument was it's becoming more rare to get them now that production will be slowing and there's no inside money, so he doesn't have to go lower. I told him to come back with something more aggressive as his offer was pathetic and his logic is bs. Salesman also said when the price of purchasing a new one goes lower, the used market is priced lower...which does make sense IMO.

Anyone think these cars will be sold for $2k under invoice in the next few months? I would think so if you find something on the lot and they're desperate to sell. I'm thinking of checking with Carmax to see what their value is for my car. Any thoughts on when the great deals for the 07's may be and what you'd pay?
Old 03-27-2007, 06:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E53
the problem with waiting is that.. you won't be able to pick what you like.. color/options..etc.

If you didn't care of the 07 to begin with.. then don't bother with playing the numbers with them. There was a thread about by using Costco car buying program, you can take about 6k off of the 07 C230. It's even easier with the stick shifts because it's just harder to move them out of the lot.

For me, I only like the final year production of each model. I only got 1k below invoice. However, it's all good because I had many options to pick from.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:22 PM

O7 c230, O7 335 E90
theres no reason u shouldnt be able to get 2k under invoice!
IF not BETTER
Old 03-27-2007, 07:27 PM

2015 E350 Sport
I had an 07 for the weekend as a loaner and I loved it. It is just a numbers game to see if I could afford getting into one. I hope the value of my car doesn't go lower if the pricing gets softer.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 CLK500
I was wondering if you could share your experience regarding the diminished value of your car. My car was involved in an accident but it seemed difficult to claim for the diminished value. I tried contacting several lawyers but they were more interested if there had been an injury involved.

I had purchased a diminished value report from one of the internet site. However, the insurance company did not take this report seriously and said that I was lack with evidence of the diminished value of my car.

I would appreciate it if you can help me fight this case.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Battery!
I took my car in for service B this week and a salesman wanted to know if I'd be interested in trading them my car for an 07 because the pre-owned dept has been wanting 05's. So I told him to crunch some numbers and I'd consider. My car was rear-ended in November and sustained approximately $5k in damage, for which I received a diminished value check of $1.9k. I have 22k miles. Here are the numbers he came up with for an 07 black 230 manual with the only option being an Ipod integration kit:

trade-in $18.5k
new car $29.8k + tax

Now the 07 will not be produced in a few months, so I told the guy he'd have to sell below invoice and his argument was it's becoming more rare to get them now that production will be slowing and there's no inside money, so he doesn't have to go lower. I told him to come back with something more aggressive as his offer was pathetic and his logic is bs. Salesman also said when the price of purchasing a new one goes lower, the used market is priced lower...which does make sense IMO.

Anyone think these cars will be sold for $2k under invoice in the next few months? I would think so if you find something on the lot and they're desperate to sell. I'm thinking of checking with Carmax to see what their value is for my car. Any thoughts on when the great deals for the 07's may be and what you'd pay?
Old 03-27-2007, 07:51 PM

2015 E350 Sport
I live in Atlanta, GA and here we are entitled to diminished value. I do not know if I caused the accident if I'd be entitled to that value by my insurance company, but since I got hit, the other company paid me. I didn't argue anything and was pleased to receive a check. It's my understanding that here you are entitled up to 20% of the cost of damage. So if I received 10%, I could go to court and argue my case and see if the judge agrees.

I would assume you have a case though if you were the victim. How can my car depreciate more rapidly in the state of Georgia than in Illiniois? Obviously that sounds stupid, but whatever reports you printed out should be sufficient proof in a court that your car has obviously been reduced in value. I hate insurance companies because *****s at the lowest level there typically end up screwing people over since they are too lazy to do anything and feel that since everyone yells at them, they should do nothing other than send you a reminder to pay your premium.

I don't know if something like this is what you'd bring to small claims court, but if you have documentation of the cost of repairs, I would argue for 20% and use your reports as proof. Also go to some appraiser like Carmax and get their opinion on the difference of value from the accident. Again, I don't know if you can get money if the accident wasn't your fault. Good luck

Originally Posted by coin
I was wondering if you could share your experience regarding the diminished value of your car. My car was involved in an accident but it seemed difficult to claim for the diminished value. I tried contacting several lawyers but they were more interested if there had been an injury involved.

I had purchased a diminished value report from one of the internet site. However, the insurance company did not take this report seriously and said that I was lack with evidence of the diminished value of my car.

I would appreciate it if you can help me fight this case.

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2007, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Stage 2 C7 A6, QX60
don't even bother trading an 05 for 07.
what's the point, it's the same car
Old 03-27-2007, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by yeuchau
don't even bother trading an 05 for 07.
what's the point, it's the same car
Not necessarily. '05 would be the m271. '07 would be the new v6.

But I do agree that you shouldn't even bother. If the dealer approached you, why the hell would he come up with a bs offer? That's just plain wrong. I would've laughed and told him that if he they want more '05's in the pre-owned area, they've gotta come up with something spectacular, especially since the w204 is scheduled to be released for sale fairly soon. I would've walked away laughing.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:24 PM

2015 E350 Sport
He called me with his offer after meeting him. I told him we're not even close and to call/email if he gets in a car I'd be interested in with a much lower price. I like the C class and wouldn't mind having another with a 4 yr warranty, but not at the current pricing. I may also look into a Subaru Legacy GT at some point. I haven't driven one, but it seems like it could be a good value.

Originally Posted by drexappeal
Not necessarily. '05 would be the m271. '07 would be the new v6.

But I do agree that you shouldn't even bother. If the dealer approached you, why the hell would he come up with a bs offer? That's just plain wrong. I would've laughed and told him that if he they want more '05's in the pre-owned area, they've gotta come up with something spectacular, especially since the w204 is scheduled to be released for sale fairly soon. I would've walked away laughing.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:29 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Not only that; but the stealer will know about the damage and most likely not keep it on his lot but auction it.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 CLK500
So you did not even go to a court for the diminished value? Did you provide any proof of diminished value to the insurance company? If you did, what kind of report did you produce?

Thanks for your help and suggestions. I was the victim of the accident -- a van missed a stop sign and crashed right onto my car.

I live in Atlanta, GA and here we are entitled to diminished value. I do not know if I caused the accident if I'd be entitled to that value by my insurance company, but since I got hit, the other company paid me. I didn't argue anything and was pleased to receive a check. It's my understanding that here you are entitled up to 20% of the cost of damage. So if I received 10%, I could go to court and argue my case and see if the judge agrees.

I would assume you have a case though if you were the victim. How can my car depreciate more rapidly in the state of Georgia than in Illiniois? Obviously that sounds stupid, but whatever reports you printed out should be sufficient proof in a court that your car has obviously been reduced in value. I hate insurance companies because *****s at the lowest level there typically end up screwing people over since they are too lazy to do anything and feel that since everyone yells at them, they should do nothing other than send you a reminder to pay your premium.

I don't know if something like this is what you'd bring to small claims court, but if you have documentation of the cost of repairs, I would argue for 20% and use your reports as proof. Also go to some appraiser like Carmax and get their opinion on the difference of value from the accident. Again, I don't know if you can get money if the accident wasn't your fault. Good luck
Old 03-27-2007, 09:09 PM

2015 E350 Sport
that sux about your accident. I didn't go to court. I just asked the insurance company of the other guy if they planned on giving me diminished value because I am entitled to it in the state of GA and after the car was repaired I received a check in the mail.

So you did not even go to a court for the diminished value? Did you provide any proof of diminished value to the insurance company? If you did, what kind of report did you produce?

Thanks for your help and suggestions. I was the victim of the accident -- a van missed a stop sign and crashed right onto my car.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 C32 ///AMG
stay with the 1.8 M271!
Old 03-27-2007, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 CLK500
Your case was an easy shot. Glad to hear that !

that sux about your accident. I didn't go to court. I just asked the insurance company of the other guy if they planned on giving me diminished value because I am entitled to it in the state of GA and after the car was repaired I received a check in the mail.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Another thing to consider. Didn't someone post some information on here indicating that the new v6 230 was not going to be continued to the w204 chassis? So that would be even less production years than the m271 engine.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:58 PM

2002 C240
Your case was an easy shot. Glad to hear that !
Hey coin,

Are you dealing with Sullivan-Parkhill?
Old 03-28-2007, 01:51 PM

Nov 04 W203
what ever decision, it is still more money..might as well trade what you can for a new W204..bec come time of release of w204, your new 07 w203 will start depreciating fast..might as well use the value on the 05' and put it on account, and then go for the w204 when it comes out..get a cheap banger in the mean time..the wait and the extra spend will be more than worthwhile when you are one of the first ones to drive it..
Old 03-28-2007, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by blueserenity777
what ever decision, it is still more money..might as well trade what you can for a new W204..bec come time of release of w204, your new 07 w203 will start depreciating fast..might as well use the value on the 05' and put it on account, and then go for the w204 when it comes out..get a cheap banger in the mean time..the wait and the extra spend will be more than worthwhile when you are one of the first ones to drive it..
But the w204 looks nasty unless you do a body kit upgrade immeidately after purchase...well, that's my opinion. Thing is, the w204 is going to be the 1st production year, which I never recommend getting ever. Let MB get the 1st year's kinks out of the way before jumping into a w204. That's my .02.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts
2007 C230SS; 2014 ML350 BT
Another thing to consider. Didn't someone post some information on here indicating that the new v6 230 was not going to be continued to the w204 chassis? So that would be even less production years than the m271 engine.
Correct the m272 E25 (2.5L) version will not continue to the W204, only the E30 and E35 versions will.

But the w204 looks nasty unless you do a body kit upgrade immeidately after purchase...well, that's my opinion. Thing is, the w204 is going to be the 1st production year, which I never recommend getting ever. Let MB get the 1st year's kinks out of the way before jumping into a w204. That's my .02.
X2.

Exactly the reason I picked up my 07 W203 vs. the W204. The new W204 is plain fugly IMO, even modded I don't think I could ever own one. MB is hopping on the ugly Chris Bangle styling train that most new cars are on. Yes, the W203 is a little bit dated styling wise, but it is classic MB. Maybe I am just getting old
Old 03-28-2007, 02:40 PM

Nov 04 W203
Yes ..fair point..the 1st year is never a good time to get a car..teething troubles are really annoying especially after spending loads of money buying merc..if the W203 072 model comes with the AMG body styling, then it will look good next to a new standard w204 which i do agree looks so bland..it defiantely needs serious mods to make it look sporty..
Old 03-28-2007, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by blueserenity777
Yes ..fair point..the 1st year is never a good time to get a car..teething troubles are really annoying especially after spending loads of money buying merc..if the W203 072 model comes with the AMG body styling, then it will look good next to a new standard w204 which i do agree looks so bland..it defiantely needs serious mods to make it look sporty..
I mean, if the experience with the w204 is anything that prior w203 or w202 owners experienced?...That's even more reason not to buy a w204 in the first production year. Look how many upgrades/changes/downgrades/etc...that the w203 went through in a 6 year span!

If the TSB's for the w204 continue in the tradition of the w203 (look at the TSB thread), that's gonna be a nightmare for people who go for the 1st production year, Especially if they're still not offering free service!
Old 03-28-2007, 03:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E53
i think the w202 is still ok even today. If I have more room in the driveway, I wouldve kept my w202. The w203 is much younger looking than a classic body w202. The W204, I am not so sure as of now.. but I feel that it's a bit of w202 + w203 combined because it isnt as rounded like the new CL or S. which is a good thing.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 CLK500
Originally Posted by MB Nubee
Hey coin,

Are you dealing with Sullivan-Parkhill?
Sorry for the off-topic :

Yes, Sullivan-Parkhill is the closest dealership here.

How about yourself?
Old 03-28-2007, 05:33 PM

Nov 04 W203
I wonder if the new W204 will be viewed like the present new shape BMW 3 series..the older shape actually looks nicer with the Msport styling..the new shape has an ok front but a hedious behind..
If W203 has looked good and now with blandish conservative shape for W204..the W203 will enjoy many years of being the better model to go for..
Old 03-28-2007, 05:38 PM

2007 C280 Avantgarde
well, someone would eventually buy into the styling, it's a mere exposure effect

But I agree with everyone about not getting w204 until further notice, first year production from BMW OR MB is never good...

Look at the 2006 330i, it's already changing the engine and the number to 335i sedan...

I mean... you might as well wait for the car to mature and drive a w203 whilst you are at it

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 05 trade-in / 07 pricing