C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Replacing door jamb switch, removing trim

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C230
Replacing door jamb switch, removing trim

I broke the oem switch by closing the door on top of the belt buckle which crushed the switch. I pulled the pieces out and bought a replacement switch but the wire that the switch plugs into is too short and doesn't stick out enough for me to plug in the new switch. It seems that the only way to plug it in is to do it from the inside by pulling out the plastic trim that's behind the switch. I tried pulling it but it's not budging. I figured if I used any more force I'd break it. Do any of you guys know how to pull out that trim?

Thanks

CZ
Old 04-25-2007, 09:23 AM

2003 C230
Anyone?

Thanks
Old 06-20-2011, 11:39 AM

2006 C350
im having the same problem...

Originally Posted by czachari
I broke the oem switch by closing the door on top of the belt buckle which crushed the switch. I pulled the pieces out and bought a replacement switch but the wire that the switch plugs into is too short and doesn't stick out enough for me to plug in the new switch. It seems that the only way to plug it in is to do it from the inside by pulling out the plastic trim that's behind the switch. I tried pulling it but it's not budging. I figured if I used any more force I'd break it. Do any of you guys know how to pull out that trim?

Thanks

CZ
can anyone help me out ?? much appreciated..
Old 06-27-2011, 02:41 PM

2006 C350
Door Jamb help..anyone?

Originally Posted by djeloco1
can anyone help me out ?? much appreciated..
help?
Old 02-17-2012, 10:12 AM

2001 C320 Sedan
Okay, happened to me too. I "opened" the front side of the interior post trim wide enough to get my fingers inside the post. Popped the post trim off by lifting the rubber seam hider then popping the trim at the top and bottom clips. That took two screw drivers, a small one to lift the clip and the second to pop out the trim. I then inserted the handles of two larger screwdrivers to keep the gap open so my fingers and small screwdriver could complete the remove and replace. Good Luck
Old 11-25-2012, 09:48 AM

2003 Mercedes C240
This wasn't as difficult as I was expecting after reading this thread, in fact it was a no-brainer.

Rather than smashing up your fingers trying to work behind the trim piece, just take it off. To do so, peel back the weather stripping a few feet on both sides of the pillar (so you'll open the rear door to get the back side.) Then unhook the 4 little gold retaining clips - don't remove them, just pry them outwards towards you by using something long and skinny like a screwdriver and use the inner body of the car as leverage to push them out (but tape the tip up well to protect the paint if that's what you use.) Once those clips are freed, you can just lift the entire trim piece upwards and out.

At that point, I found the old door door jamb switch inside the pillar (it had a busted collar, presumably from the same type of door shut/seat belt incident you guys describe) and replaced it in about 2 minutes.

It takes a bit of wiggling and prying to coax the clips back into place when you're done, but not a big deal.