C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Very interesting cold air intake setup on 3.2 crossfire

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
Very interesting cold air intake setup on 3.2 crossfire

Hey all, i bumped into this very intersting CAI setup on the 3.2 crossfire, using the k&n cold air intake and stock snorkles for the setup, looks pretty good and seems like its a good job well done. atleast its not a warm air intake.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:23 AM

That's pretty cool looking, but I gotta' wonder if it really produces any more power... I've thought about insulating the intake tubes and underside of the airbox to keep it from getting heat soaked.

I wonder if there's any other go fast goodies from Chrysler that would bolt on?

After having driven through a RAGING dust storm ($9K in cosmetic damage) with OEM filters I'll have to stick with them. It kept all of THIS out of the engine.
Attached Thumbnails Very interesting cold air intake setup on 3.2 crossfire-airbox-sand-1.jpg  

Last edited by RonKMiller; 05-01-2007 at 09:27 AM.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C3Twon AWD Jumpofffff
i dk i might give that a try this summer and test it out
Old 05-01-2007, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 ///AMG, 535xi
woww that is crazy....

I'm not sure abt the HP gain, I always had a theory that, The surface area of the cone filter has to be larger than the sheet filters, then it would clean more air. and besides, if the snorkles were CF wrapped, then Im guessing its heatproof.

About wraping under the airbox, I think Im gonna see if I can find (or make any) spacers that can bolt between the airbox and motor
Old 10-23-2007, 02:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
That's pretty cool looking, but I gotta' wonder if it really produces any more power... I've thought about insulating the intake tubes and underside of the airbox to keep it from getting heat soaked.

I wonder if there's any other go fast goodies from Chrysler that would bolt on?

After having driven through a RAGING dust storm ($9K in cosmetic damage) with OEM filters I'll have to stick with them. It kept all of THIS out of the engine.
Just changed my air filters last night. Bought the OEM ones for the dealer and decided to do it myself to get to know my car a little better. WOW there was a lot of sand/dust/crap in my intake. After looking at what the stock filters were able to keep out of my engine, I'm not switching to anything else.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:24 PM

C230 Kompressor Sport Coupe
Originally Posted by e1000
After looking at what the stock filters were able to keep out of my engine, I'm not switching to anything else.
thats like becoming a severe germ-afobe after someone takes your freshly washed hand, pushes it into a cell culture disc, and incubates it to show you what kind of germs still exist on your "clean" hand.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by kompressor85
thats like becoming a severe germ-afobe after someone takes your freshly washed hand, pushes it into a cell culture disc, and incubates it to show you what kind of germs still exist on your "clean" hand.
I didn't drive through a dust storm though. This was normal use, and only 6K miles after my Service B
Old 10-23-2007, 07:36 PM

i didnt take into account what you had or hadn't driven through. i was simply stating that your statement was (this may sound insulting but i dont mean it that way) uneducated- you have no basis for comparison.

bare with me here- please also note that i'm not stating wether team green, K&N are or are not better, simply saying that your statement had no grounds to be made, it was ray charles telling someone about a painting.

you havent looked at the average micron-size particle filtration abilities of different products and different filter meduims. only after researching and realizing the full capabilites of the most popular filter mediums, then you'd know for sure wether your stock filters were doing a superior job.

i almost feel like im splitting hairs with you, except your statement bugged the hell out of me, just the way there was no basis for comparison, only blind thought processes. so in a way, i apologize for chopping it up and looking at it under the microscope, but can you at least blame me for calling you out on it based on my rebuttal?
Old 10-23-2007, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
his statement bugged the heck out of me too. Had their been a K&N filter or GREEN filter in there, the same amount of crap would have been spit out. I just didn't have the time or inclination to write all that up. But now that it's out there.... you've got one HUGE "ditto" from me !
Old 10-23-2007, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Youngtimer
i didnt take into account what you had or hadn't driven through. i was simply stating that your statement was (this may sound insulting but i dont mean it that way) uneducated- you have no basis for comparison.

bare with me here- please also note that i'm not stating wether team green, K&N are or are not better, simply saying that your statement had no grounds to be made, it was ray charles telling someone about a painting.

you havent looked at the average micron-size particle filtration abilities of different products and different filter meduims. only after researching and realizing the full capabilites of the most popular filter mediums, then you'd know for sure wether your stock filters were doing a superior job.

i almost feel like im splitting hairs with you, except your statement bugged the hell out of me, just the way there was no basis for comparison, only blind thought processes. so in a way, i apologize for chopping it up and looking at it under the microscope, but can you at least blame me for calling you out on it based on my rebuttal?
sorry, completely off topic, but what bugs ME is terrible spelling! especially when the word 'uneducated' is in the post! argh!

anyway, that intake setup looks cool, someone should do it!
Old 10-23-2007, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 c230 v6 SS
anyone have part numbers for those filters/cases?
Old 10-23-2007, 08:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
srt 6 chrysler crossfire
Thats Paul's ride in the red those aren't the filters they are ERAMS http://www.electricsupercharger.com/ he is a good guy but his car gets raged on a lot for stuff like those anyway it is what it is. I remember the other kid wanting to work out that K&N set up but ended up selling it I believe and never got around to making it. In theory I'm sure it would work but other then the CF intake the needs wings might be the best way to go. Here are pics of what I did a year ago on my N/a crossfire the pics are rough and the kit was able to work on either the left or the right side of the engine. Looks like the K&N sealed set up might be prefect if I were to start making them again. AGAIN I remind you these were the rough pics of mock up and a quick photoshop the finish product was sprayed with heat resistant paint flat black and looked really professional.
Attached Thumbnails Very interesting cold air intake setup on 3.2 crossfire-image_006.jpg   Very interesting cold air intake setup on 3.2 crossfire-cai123.jpg  
Old 10-23-2007, 09:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time

didn't mean to offend anyone. Well, here are some tests, just in case you're bored.

http://home.stny.rr.com/jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Upgrade/Air_filter.htm

K&N has never made claims that their filters are more efficient at filtering particles. They've always touted performance increases. I don't deny that a performance gain may be seen with K&N or other products, but I do believe the best filtration is with the OEM filters.

edit: here is a good forum write-up of pretty much how I see aftermarket Oil gauze type filters.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66536

Last edited by e1000; 10-23-2007 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Well done investigation, nice article, thanks for sharing. I'm one of the believers that oiled filters cause problems with the MAF. Interesting that a company would spend the time testing a filter that has already had all the oil sucked off by the intake on which to base their claims.
MAF contamination is the major issue with the part. That's why every on/off of the engine super heats the MAF to burn off possible contamination.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 ///AMG, 535xi
Originally Posted by SRT6
Thats Paul's ride in the red those aren't the filters they are ERAMS http://www.electricsupercharger.com/ he is a good guy but his car gets raged on a lot for stuff like those anyway it is what it is. I remember the other kid wanting to work out that K&N set up but ended up selling it I believe and never got around to making it. In theory I'm sure it would work but other then the CF intake the needs wings might be the best way to go. Here are pics of what I did a year ago on my N/a crossfire the pics are rough and the kit was able to work on either the left or the right side of the engine. Looks like the K&N sealed set up might be prefect if I were to start making them again. AGAIN I remind you these were the rough pics of mock up and a quick photoshop the finish product was sprayed with heat resistant paint flat black and looked really professional.

After going thru multiple "test" of different intake sytems, I am staying on the stock sized setup but Renntech Carbon Fiber Airbox. I am also a regular at crossfireforums (not sure if u know me?) but I have met Sidez in person, and he has seen my airbox/setup
Old 10-24-2007, 12:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
srt 6 chrysler crossfire
yeah advanz with a Z, I'm jonnyangel04 lol thats the best i could come up with, everything that had to do with a crossfire was taken. Sidez post a lot as well great to see you making contributions to both sites. You have to update your pics on there... The red rings are what set that car off..
Old 10-24-2007, 12:46 AM

well then, with all that said, i stand corrected- AND much more educated in that realm. from my- and others- standpoint, you made a claim that just seemed totally uneducated. apparently, quite the opposite is true. im really glad i got to read that, especially since i have a gauze type filter media on my car... and last time i cleaned it ,there was so much stuff in it, i was horrified. and to think that so much has gotten through it that wouldnt have!

didnt take into account what you had or hadn't driven through. i was simply stating that your statement was (this may sound insulting but i dont mean it that way) uneducated- you have no basis for comparison.

and to the guy who did a song and dance about three- count em- three spelling errors, i'll highlight a few words and phrases that sort of equal out the fact that i am after all, human and fallible.

honestly, splitting hairs now!

P.S. by the way, you missed one- i spelled medium wrong, by accident, the first time i used the word.

Last edited by kompressor85; 10-24-2007 at 12:53 AM.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:12 AM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
kompressor85: all good, as long as we can all enjoi our rides
Old 10-24-2007, 07:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 ///AMG, 535xi
haha please dont start with that un-educated crap. its stupid.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:50 AM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by advans
haha please dont start with that un-educated crap. its stupid.
maybe it's because i lost 12K posts when the TOW got deleted