C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

I'm debating on changing to MB from VW

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2001, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 VW GTI GLS 1.8T
I'm debating on changing to MB from VW

Hello,

I own a 2001 VW GTI GLS 1.8T and a 1999.5 Golf GLS before that. I love VW's and I told myself I would try and stay loyal...but everytime I'm at my dealership (they sell VW, Volvo, MB) I can't help but go and drool over the C230 SC. I'm trying my hardest not to go further into debt and buy one...but my urges are getting the best of me.

Could you all post some pictures of your C230 Sport Coupes, stock and moded? I've only seen that light green color and silver (which I drove...<drool>)....so I'd love to see all of the other colors. I've seen people on here talking about the C7 package. That is the sport 17" rim package correct? I've never seen those and would like to.

Any other comments, raves or complaints would be helpful too.

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2001, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
try the previous thread for some pics

c230 pics

vw? jeez, some of the most rabid fans i've ever met!
Old 12-31-2001, 12:07 AM

2001 VW GTI GLS 1.8T
Wow! I told myself I would never own a black car again...but those C230SC in black are awesome....and those are the 17" C7 package right?

Thanks for the link, BTW.

VW fans are on crack a lot. I visit and post at VWVortex.com quite freaquently and they are nuts. They really mess up their cars sometimes adding so much extra crap and debadging everything....blah!

Here's my GTI:
Old 12-31-2001, 12:33 AM

2001 VW GTI GLS 1.8T
Does anyone have any complaints about the SC? Any suggestions? Are there any chips you can add to the car to boost performance...any modifications out there?
Old 12-31-2001, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
ask and ye shall receive...
gripes

but overall, i love my car!

btw, yes, there are mods available. search for renntech's posts for examples. personally, i am a novice when it comes to mods so i can't help you much w/ that.

Last edited by young; 12-31-2001 at 12:54 AM.
Old 12-31-2001, 01:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
C coupe Obsidianschwarz exterior
Old 12-31-2001, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
C Coupe Charcoal leather interior
Old 12-31-2001, 01:03 AM

2001 VW GTI GLS 1.8T
Vadim, Beautiful car! Man, I want one right now. =)

What color is the dash lighting at night? Is it that same yellow that is on the computer display in the gauge cluster? If so... I love the white like the S class and the blue/red of my GTI.

By the way, is that a dent I see in your rear fender???
Old 12-31-2001, 03:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally posted by coomoob
Vadim, Beautiful car! Man, I want one right now. =)

What color is the dash lighting at night? Is it that same yellow that is on the computer display in the gauge cluster? If so... I love the white like the S class and the blue/red of my GTI.

By the way, is that a dent I see in your rear fender???
Thanks!

Yes, the dash illumunation color is yellow, but it's quite all right, except, as many have noticed, the background of the computer display is a little too bright, too much "in your face", and can't be dimmed down along with the center console lights.

But it doesn't irritate that much; it took me a lot longer to get used to red-glowing instruments in a bimmer.

And - no, it's not a dent, just a funny reflection of my house
Old 12-31-2001, 11:57 AM

2001 VW GTI GLS 1.8T
Maybe I can stand the yellow...=)

I really love the blue/red in my GTI though. I drove to California, from FL in my previous Golf GLS, and that was mostly at night. The blue is so good on the eyes. It doesn't implant in your brain after 12 hours of night driving, like the green on my Mom's Caravan (which I had driven on many long night trips).

Why does the S-class get the white gauges and the rest of the family get the yellow? That doesn't make any sense to me. It seems they'd try to stay in the same theme. A'la (shudder) Ford/GM/Dodge green, Nissan white, Audi/BMW red, VW blue/red..etc.
Old 12-31-2001, 12:08 PM

1991 mr2 turbo, 2002 coupe
I was hell bent on getting the new 4v 201hp gti when it arrives this spring (based on being impressed(twice) by test driving the 2v 174hp vr6)- that is until I decided to humor this "probably weak, stripped down wannabe a snob hatch." And no I'm not afraid to call it a hatch and no one hear should call question- that's what it is!! So coomoob, here are my cents, you may only want 2 but I'll ya give a nickel.:p

I wanted the GTI because: (ranked)
-That silky, torquey, naturally aspirated 6
-car has solid feel all around and well within $ tolerance
-the compact yet roomy and utilitarian layout
-the content and feature bang for the $

I was 99.9% sure that GTI would be my next car, because it was everything I wanted and nothing I didn't. Then I drove the C230
(without C7) and I changed my tune very soon after getting in the driver's seat(girlfriend riding shotgun, no salesman.) This car was as entertaining and just as willing to be run (hard) around 20MPH hairpins at 50 as my 91' mr2 turbo(200hp bone stock) which spoke volumes and I was very surprised and impressed on just how fun and tossible this 3300lbr was. We traded the wheel back and forth and were both thrilled and I'll I could ask for was an in dash cd, 20 more hp and a smoother, less vague gearbox(more on that later.)

One half hour drive and my mind was made- THIS would be the compliment to the Mid engine, Rear drive, 2 seater that I've been waiting for. Sorry about the plugs for my car, I can't help but sing the praises of this forgotten gem.

Things that swayed me to C230:
-Utility AND looks AND value AND features AND German quality!!
-Much better handling balance (much less roll) than GTI
-Engine was rough at idle (until warm) but smooth when revved with IOP(instant on power) of a normal aspirated.
-Very comfortable seats and ride with or without the 17" wheels
-Still yet to see one in the wild!

The day I placed my order I took one last drive(#4) in a non C7 6 speed tester with several thousand miles on it. The shifter was pleasurably smooth and precise, a nice reinforcement on the big day! So without any hesitation, placed my order on a:

C230/6-speed/orion blue/C7/changer- due in Feb!!

Why the 4 test drives if I was so sure?
#1- Got the snob treatment and a mile long joke of test.
#2- Great experience- the aforementioned 1/2 hour jaunt nonC7
#3- Quick C7 test (auto) just to check for ride harshness
#4- Last hurrah (joy ride) before signing my earnings away

Others considered and driven:
WRX: Don't really see what all the hype is about- tinny feel
RSX: Too small rear quarters(didn't bother driving)
SE-R: Cheesy, bad numbers, reviews(also didn't bother driving)
GTI: Very nice, solid, but not the winner
CL-S: no manual, too big, but very nice and powerful

Hope this was helpful. Happy new year and good luck w/your decision!
Old 12-31-2001, 12:27 PM

2001 VW GTI GLS 1.8T
I drove the C230 SC back in Sept and I really loved it. The salesman went with me but he encouraged me to "floor it" and test the handling around a series of 3 "S" curves. It handled oh so very fine, which surprised me a lot because the car is rear wheel drive. My friend has a 2000 Mustang which is also rear wheel (of course) and that car slides on every curve...fast or slow. The 230 held the road like it was going out of style.

I love hatchbacks to start with (I wish the US had more) so of course when I saw the 230 I liked it to start. The only thing I really didn't like was the back driver's C pillar seem to block all side view. The hatch design is great, but that angle just got in the way at times.

I'm either going VW again (great car and better $$$) or a C230. I think $$$ is the deciding point here.