C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

a perfect C-Coupe car? - come on, any gripes?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2001, 08:27 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
camper shoes
a perfect C-Coupe car? - come on, any gripes?

To the owners out there:

There is no way that everything is perfect with your new c-coupe. Here is a chance to post up some gripes or annoyances with the car. What about additional features you would like to see?

Maybe the boys at MB are reading this site, and they might incorporate them in 2003. Who knows?

Thanks.

Last edited by jungleboy; 12-02-2001 at 08:32 AM.
Old 12-02-2001, 10:55 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Cool I think that most people know my biggest gripe

which would be the design of the sunroof blinds. It's horrible, cheapens look of the interior of the car, and even worse breaks in the first two weeks of ownership. Of course, I haven't heard of anyone else's doing what mine did, but I still think that it's a flimsy mess that I would be more at home on an Aztek or Yugo.

Other misc. stuff: if the raising the "fees" story is true, then that's totally bogus. I'd guess that the car has done better than MB thought, and it wants to extract an extra pound of flesh. Which is typical short-sighted bs to me. But, as we all know, paying a little more for an MB shouldn't be that shocking.

The manny could be better. They could stop screwing customers on additional costs for colors. The cloth pattern could be better. There could be different colors for the leather.

Other wish list items: aftermarket products could be cheaper, the shift knob could be smaller, the glovebox could be bigger to allow for the manual AND the changer, there could be an in-dash cd player, I'd prefer that the wiring not be fiber optic and the hole be standard DIN size. Did I miss anything?
Old 12-02-2001, 12:09 PM

'04 Mars Red C230K 6 sp.
I agree..

The visibility is limited due to the A pillars and the manual trans takes a LOT of getting used to. Also - it's hard to reach back for the seat belt if you're sitting in the seat without wrenching your neck. BUT - I love the car, It rocks. C7 is awesome!!! Mine is Magma/Ash/6sp/C2/C4/C7 Built 10/01
Old 12-02-2001, 12:50 PM
Banned

'01 C240/6
The 2 biggest problems with the C Coupe (fatal to me):

1. Needs to get rid of the rough 4 banger. Needs to have the 2.6 and 3.2 available. If they are going to keep the 4 banger, at least make the 6's optional.

2. The Neon cloth interior is ridiculous. At least MB Tex should be available, and leather should, too.

Others:

The stock wheels are horrible. Not a big deal, I guess, since C7 is available, but $700 is $700.

Other than that, it is a neat car, I think. Its about as good looking as a Hatchback can be.
Old 12-02-2001, 12:52 PM

2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
No Complaints, just a Wish List

1. In-Dash CD Player instead of Cassette (which I will most likely fix by adding the Sony CDX-1000RF single-disc player in the space right below the stereo).
2. XM-Radio factory radio option.
3. HID option (doubt I'll do anything about that)
4. Rainsensor should have option to automatically close Panoramic Sunroof and Windows (I'm I the only one that this seems obvious to?).
5. Panoramic Sunroof should have one-button close option.
6. Phone option should include interface options for existing common brand phones (Motorola, Ericsson, Nokia, etc.) without having to buy a new phone from MB. Most of us in the U.S. already own a cell phone, something MB doesn't seem aware of.
7. Extra 33 horses (225 vs. current 192), for 0-60 of 6.2 instead of current 7.2.
8. Optional rear limited-differential.
9. Headlamp washers without having to buy heated seats.
10. Official front-windshield NO FEAR MB-authorized sticker (kidding on this last one).

Rick
Old 12-02-2001, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by SoCal240/6
The 2 biggest problems with the C Coupe (fatal to me):

1. Needs to get rid of the rough 4 banger. Needs to have the 2.6 and 3.2 available. If they are going to keep the 4 banger, at least make the 6's optional.

2. The Neon cloth interior is ridiculous. At least MB Tex should be available, and leather should, too.

Others:

The stock wheels are horrible. Not a big deal, I guess, since C7 is available, but $700 is $700.

Other than that, it is a neat car, I think. Its about as good looking as a Hatchback can be.
You think it's rough? I've had tons of four cylinders (Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, Mazda Miata, etc.) over the years and this BY FAR the smoothest four cylinder I've ever felt. So smooth that both my wife and I commented how it really didn't feel like a four cylinder. More like a six.

The cloth interior, IMHO, is rather nice and a substantial improvement over the cloth found in most american cars (especially the NEON). It's tight and pattern helps with stain hidding (working in hotel industry I know all about using funky patterns to keep rugs looking good). What's MB Tex? Is that like MB Vinyl in German MB taxi cabs?

Factory wheels are VERY nice. Have you seen what most $25K or less cars come with as factory wheels? This is one of the nicest ones. I upgraded to C7 not because of design, but because of rim size. I probably would have been happy with factory rim design in 17".

Rick
Old 12-02-2001, 01:42 PM
benzomonterey

Heres my 2 cents worth:

1) Engine noise at startup sounds like a lawn mower

2) Seat recliner knob is in a horrible position on manual seat.
Hard to reach between seat and console.

3) do they even make cassettes anymore?

4) IMO factory 16" are awful (going away on wed)

5) IMO cloth looks like lighthouses or screwed up fish pattern (already gone away)

Otherwise LOVE LOVE my car
Old 12-02-2001, 02:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
MB-BOB, I think you've been watching too much of Dr. Phil on Oprah. I think that you've got all of his catch phrases in your reply. Yes, they did fix my problem, and yes it works fine now, but no, I won't let it go. The design is bad. I wasn't solely focusing on the blinds in my post, and did you notice that I put in that I don't know of anyone else who's had the same problem? I wasn't saying that everyone's will break like mine did, you know.

Oh, since I'm here, I'll add a couple more: while playing cassettes, the stereo can only search for the beginning or end of the current song; it can't go forward or back a couple of songs from current; cd player can't display the time of the current song constantly, you have to keep hitting the up or down; the hvac won't let you bypass the automatic function totally and blow out fresh air - there's always a control of the temp of the air. Having pop-out rear windows like bmw's would be nice as well, and with all of the windows down, it would be nice to be able to turn up the volume a couple of more clicks, even with the Bose option.
Old 12-02-2001, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
I agree, the 4-cylinder in the C230 Kompressor is rough and unrefined as compared to Honda and Toyota. But that engine is one of the best engines Mercedes builds.
Old 12-02-2001, 02:13 PM
Banned

'01 C240/6
Originally posted by Flashman

You think it's rough? I've had tons of four cylinders (Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, Mazda Miata, etc.) over the years and this BY FAR the smoothest four cylinder I've ever felt. So smooth that both my wife and I commented how it really didn't feel like a four cylinder. More like a six.

The cloth interior, IMHO, is rather nice and a substantial improvement over the cloth found in most american cars (especially the NEON). It's tight and pattern helps with stain hidding (working in hotel industry I know all about using funky patterns to keep rugs looking good). What's MB Tex? Is that like MB Vinyl in German MB taxi cabs?

Factory wheels are VERY nice. Have you seen what most $25K or less cars come with as factory wheels? This is one of the nicest ones. I upgraded to C7 not because of design, but because of rim size. I probably would have been happy with factory rim design in 17".

Rick
1. Yeah, I think its really rough. I drive the Kompressor engine in a MB loaner car for a week, and frankly I was shocked at how coarse it felt, and how "agricultural" it sounded. My wife could not believe that MB would use such an engine. I would NEVER mistake that engine for a 6.

2. I'll give you that the cloth may be an improvement as to what is found in American cars, like the Neon. But isn't that kind of a sad standard for MB to be judged by? ("Hey, my cloth interior is better than that in a Neon or other American rental car! Woohoo!)

3.The standard alloy wheels are nice in that they are 16 inch and probably good quality, I just find them really ugly and unflattering to the car. Totally subjective (where one and 2 aren't really subjective).
Old 12-02-2001, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You probably have one of those lame excuses for a 6 cylinder, the 240. I agree that if you drove the old C230K that it was very rough and not befitting a Benz but the new C230K is very different. It's a very smooth, rev happy engine with gobs of power and a very consistant power band. I've driven the C240 and it's horrible, at least as an automatic. The transmission hunts around and is never comfortable at any speed, the accelaration reminds me more of my Honda CRV than that of a Mercedes and was obviously built to cater to those that don't want to pay for the C320 which is a great car for a few thousand more (assuming you want the auotmatic, Bose and power seats), it's better than the coupe in many ways but also more expensive.
Old 12-02-2001, 05:04 PM
Banned

'01 C240/6
Originally posted by Buellwinkle
You probably have one of those lame excuses for a 6 cylinder, the 240. I agree that if you drove the old C230K that it was very rough and not befitting a Benz but the new C230K is very different. It's a very smooth, rev happy engine with gobs of power and a very consistant power band. I've driven the C240 and it's horrible, at least as an automatic. The transmission hunts around and is never comfortable at any speed, the accelaration reminds me more of my Honda CRV than that of a Mercedes and was obviously built to cater to those that don't want to pay for the C320 which is a great car for a few thousand more (assuming you want the auotmatic, Bose and power seats), it's better than the coupe in many ways but also more expensive.
Umm, yeah Colombo, was it my handle or my sig line that gave it away to you?!? LOL.

"Lame excuse" for a 6? Why do you say that? Its very smooth, quite, decent power. Not great power, for sure. In fact, I agree with you, coupled with the automatic, its not an acceptable package for an MB. Too slow, and the auto trans does hunt around too much. But as an engine, the V6 seems pretty nice (not as nice at the BMW straight 6, though).

With the 6 speed, the C240 is acceptable, but not much more. It has enough power for a sedan when coupled with the 6 speed. But not by much.

Not sure who the car is built to cater to, but to those that want a manual transmission MB sedan, its the only choice. Remember, lots will argue that the C230 Hatchback caters to those that just want a star on the grille, but don't have the funds to afford much.

I did drive the old C230K. For one full, awful week. I'm glad to see that you are in full agreement that that engine was "very rough" and "not befitting a Benz." 100% agreement from me, that's for sure. If the engine in the Hatchback is not the same and is somehow improved, I potentially stand corrected. I understood that it is pretty much the exact same engine as that horrible lump that came in the last generation C230K sedan.
Old 12-02-2001, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That's Lieutenant Columbo if you don't mind. I got the coupe because it was cheap and I'm cheap, so there!!!! When I bought it I never thought of a C240/C320, I was comparing it to the Subie WRX, Audi A4 and remotely distant, a BMW 325i. Not only didn't I care about the star, it was actually a negative for me as I've had one MB taken back on the CA lemon law and my parents MB caught on fire while they were driving it and MB does not have a great rep for dependability so I was not an MB happy camper. It just looked cool, was peppy (although not as much as the Subie) and they offered free car washes with cookies, brownies and soda. If it wasn't for the car washes and far proximity to the other car dealers I'ld likely be driving something else. Actually it's been such a great car all around (except the stereo) that it's turned around my bad thoughts about MB. Maybe it's Chryslers influence.

You should see what DaimlerChrysler car I'm driving now. My digital camera broke but you can see it at www.GemCar.com. I had a pair of 4 seaters donated for our towns parade this weekend and I've been all over town in it and it gets way more stares and grins than any other DaimlerChrysler production car I've seen. I put 6 clowns in them and let them run the route.

Old 12-02-2001, 05:45 PM

C250 Coupe 2012
Hey, can not we find other things to talk about, i bought a C230k an happy, there will always be things to gripe about. We bought the car, knowing colors and options, and we should all be glad that we have a car, that we can enjoy for better or worse. I agree if someone has a problems and a solutions, post them and we can all learn and benefit. hey it''s two cents worth.
Old 12-02-2001, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Tried to stay out of this one, but can't...

Fellas, we don't have to throw insults do we?

Buellwinkle and Flashman:
Come on, I don't think there's any mistaking that you're driving a 4-cylinder when driving the C230. I've also got a C240 6-spd, and I drove a C230 a few weeks ago for comparison. The engine may be better than some other 4-cylinders, but it is immediately evident, based on the coarseness, that you're dealing with a 4-cyl. Also, Buellwinkle, if you haven't driven the C240 w/ a 6-spd, you should reserve judgment. Previously, I had a 190hp Passat V6 5-spd, and my C240 doesn't feel much different. It's very lively off the line, silky smooth and much more responsive than the auto version -- you should try one -- your dealer probably has a demo.

MB-BOB:
There's a reason you can't push the lock knob down when the driver's door is open -- it's so you can't lock yourself out. It's designed that way. The lock knobs on the other doors can be pressed down when they are open. (BTW, this is how you should have locked your doors when your key wasn't working. Lock the driver's door while the rear door is open, then lock and close the rear door.) A lot of other cars have this lockout feature.

There now, isn't that better!
Old 12-02-2001, 08:24 PM

black on black 2k2-230k auto/c1/c5/c7/k2c/COMAND/TELEAID/Stage II HIDS
mercedes specific gripes:
no in dash cd changer
window controls too low on door
insanely expensive cell phone
extra for certain colors
insuffucient choice for leather colors
auto window down feature with smartkey is ir not rf

c230 specific gripes
no rear wiper
could use about 30 more hp
no xenons
no amg body kit (yet)

and most importantly....

annoying ooohs and aaahhs when i cruise down the street as people wonder what i am driving

greg
Old 12-02-2001, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
my few gripes (non-subjective) and i know some have been said already:
no HID as option this year (of course, knowing my luck, it'll be standard next year :p )
no cd player as standard (also, probably next year)
no kilometer marks on speedometer
no one touch close for moonroof/shade
seat recline wheel poorly located
ash tray/lighter standard - do most people still smoke? make it optional
overly complex (and fragile ) cupholder that when closed, makes a relatively useful space worthless
why have a computer that shows things that you don't have - like NO PHONE? should be able to just disable some screens if you don't have them. seems like a relatively easy software programming job.
no monthly Official MB magazine

but these niggles do not out weigh how much i really love the car overall!
Old 12-02-2001, 10:41 PM

Re: Tried to stay out of this one, but can't...

Originally posted by MarkL
Fellas, we don't have to throw insults do we?

Buellwinkle and Flashman:
Come on, I don't think there's any mistaking that you're driving a 4-cylinder when driving the C230. I've also got a C240 6-spd, and I drove a C230 a few weeks ago for comparison. The engine may be better than some other 4-cylinders, but it is immediately evident, based on the coarseness, that you're dealing with a 4-cyl. Also, Buellwinkle, if you haven't driven the C240 w/ a 6-spd, you should reserve judgment. Previously, I had a 190hp Passat V6 5-spd, and my C240 doesn't feel much different. It's very lively off the line, silky smooth and much more responsive than the auto version -- you should try one -- your dealer probably has a demo.
Hmmm. Maybe because I drive a Mazda Miata and that's what I drove up to test drive the C230K in, and that's what I'm comparing it to. Compared to my Miata's 1.6 cylinder, the C230K is "like buttah" :-) I mean at 7,000 RPM the C230 engine is half as quiet as my Miata at idle. And reviewers are always saying how well engineered and smooth the Miata engines are...

It is all dependent to what you compare it to.

Rick
Old 12-02-2001, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Re: Tried to stay out of this one, but can't...

Originally posted by Flashman
I mean at 7,000 RPM the C230 engine is half as quiet as my Miata at idle
That's 1000rpm over the red line.
Old 12-02-2001, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
SoCal, the C230K engine may be rough and unrefined, but it is not a "horrible lump" by a long shot. Those 111 series 4-cylinders will outlast any 112 V6 or 113 V8 engine.

Buellwinkle, how about some details about the MB that caught fire while it was driving?!?

Flashman, I think you mean your C230 is TWICE as quiet at redline as your Miata, not half as quiet as you stated.
Old 12-03-2001, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

They had an E260 that was about three years old and they were driving on the freeway in San Diego on a typical sunny day and people kept pointing and yelling at the car as smoke was billowing out the back of the car. They pulled over when they noticed what was going on and within minutes the car was engulfed in flames. The fire dept said it was an electrical shot in the rear of the car near the gas tank. They were lucky to escape without serious injury. Needless to say that was their last MB and happily drive Volvos now.
Old 12-03-2001, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

They had an E260 that was about three years old and they were driving on the freeway in San Diego on a typical sunny day and people kept pointing and yelling at the car as smoke was billowing out the back of the car. They pulled over when they noticed what was going on and within minutes the car was engulfed in flames. The fire dept said it was an electrical short in the rear of the car near the gas tank. They were lucky to escape without serious injury. Needless to say that was their last MB and happily drive Volvos now.
Old 12-03-2001, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
minor gripes

Two weeks after I picked up my coupe, I had to return to MB because a warning flashed on my SOS/TeleAid about a software error. Service assured me it was a minor software glitch, and they'd update the software to fix it in 'a half hour'. Two hours later, they come out to tell me there were 'loose connectors' that they reseated. Problem fixed, but it took a lot longer than promised.(no loaner was available for walk in service)
AudioPilot - This will be dealt with when I take the car in on Friday for an oil change.
Window controls - odd location, took some getting used to...
Turn signal stalk - ditto on the location
Seat belt - ditto on location, couldn't MB put an automatic belt in this car?
Sales Staff - poorly informed and incredibly arrogant..they still owe me my keyrings!
Old 12-03-2001, 10:45 AM

I totally messed up what I intended to say. I started thinking something along the line of "the Miata at 7,000 RPM is twice as..." and somehow I got it all mungled.

Nice to know you all can read "typo" though and knew what I meant. :p
Old 12-03-2001, 03:08 PM
jay

2002 C230K Sports Coupe
I can second the negative vote for the blinds Tommy. 2 days at home, and the rear blind stopped working. Worse, it hung there like the rag top on my 68 convertible beetle... I dropped by the service dept. for a quick look. The tech looked at me like "What the hell did you do to this" Whatever... Anyhow, after waiting 3 weeks for a service loaner (something told me it would be longer than a day in the bay) I take it in. Only now, the front blind won't open either.

8 days later..... My blinds work.... Apparently, they went through 3 sets to get them to work...

Upon closer inspection, I can tell that the opening in the front and rear of the cross member is now about 1/4 inch wider... Hmmmmm..... design? I think so....But now, I can gaze at the stars at 100 mph with the best of them.....

My other complaint is the rear license plate location has no lower screws.... When I close the rear lid, the plate and it's frame rattle like my 90 year old grandfather's teeth.....

It's still a beauty....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: a perfect C-Coupe car? - come on, any gripes?