C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Car audio shops suck....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 C230 Sedan
Haha. We need to start an 18 and under section of the board.

Last edited by Elliott; 06-09-2007 at 09:36 PM.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:38 PM

2005 C240
and why do we need to do that?
Old 06-09-2007, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

IS300
Originally Posted by Elliott
Haha. We need to start an 18 and under section of the board.
I would be in it
Old 06-09-2007, 10:15 PM
Banned

2006 C230
I think that would be cool man because sometimes older guys take it a little too far just because you type in slang doesnt make you illiterate. It means you are either lazy or you feel like pissing older people off .
Old 06-09-2007, 10:50 PM

2005 C230
Wait what shop said that? Ill show u a few places if u r at the meet tomm.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:06 PM

Mercedes C230 SS Komp
Yes the trunk is designed and dampened very very very well. I for one do not like anyone on the ouside of my car hearing what I'm playing on the inside. If I turn up the system with the windows closed you can barely and I mean barely hear any vibration or sound outside the vehicle.....now that's a solid trunk. But.... (ohhh boy ) I did cut holes into the upper deck to allow the pressure wave easier access into the cabin.
Attached Thumbnails Car audio shops suck....-subsa.jpg  

Last edited by jay_mark_paul; 06-09-2007 at 11:10 PM.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:09 PM

C200K W203
Originally Posted by c230ftw
Im thinking of putting them into the trunk cutting the plastic out perfectly behind the backseat armrest and also behind the rear headrests im going to pop off those fake speaker grills cut the foam under it so there is more airflow from the trunk to the cabin. This will hit really hard inside and will be heard from blocks away
C230ftw please check out the video on my sound system before you upgrade yours. You will get a good idea of how to built your box.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRevOnGL_JU

Your car audio shop was correct about Benz trunk being sound proof and all. The bass wont get in to the cabin unless you remove the back seat. And hanging the subs behind the rear seat headrest is the easy way (Audio shop like it easy) but the bass you getting will not compare when you have a proper box. So I highly recommend you to tell them to build a custom trichamber bandpass box for you and shoot the bass throgh the hand rest (like my set up) thats the best way to do on our car. (trust me i have tried it all and this is the ****) I have 2 10W6 and its loud just like 2 12's while getting good SQ

Last edited by raklert; 06-09-2007 at 11:23 PM.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:35 PM

2003 C230K SS (6 spd)
Originally Posted by Lsrevhard
rockford fosgate p series chrome plated 1600watt amps that one thing i will not drive my car unless it thumps i took it all out and sold it know i have 1 kenwood but still have pics of my audio system so weres the BS?
I think he was referring to you saying you had 2 12" Polk Audio subs with 3 1600 watt amps. Three Rockford amps at that, for 2 Polk Audio........... who rocks Polk Audio anyway? Oh well,........ to each's own.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

IS300
Originally Posted by raklert
Daaaaaaaaaaammnn!! Probably the best box I have seen in my life
Old 06-10-2007, 12:42 AM
Banned

2006 C230
Wow how could i do something like that but for four 12s?
Old 06-10-2007, 12:48 AM

2004 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan / 2007 Nissan Murano
Looks like you just go and get a few yards of tin foil and some neon lights...should be good to go.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:09 AM

C200K W203
About your audio set up you have to specify your taste and budget first. From what I observe you probably more of SPL than SQ. The kicker comps are good subs for SPL, the crossfire BMF also nice and have better SQ. I am a JL fan though If you getting 4 12's you will need to get more mid range and tweeter. You also need more amps for your four subs = more money.

2 12's is already insanely loud on a bandpass box. Get the square kicker if you want even louder and not care for SQ. The deck that cost below 1000dollars I highly recommend the Clrion HXD2, Alpine 9982, Eclipse is good too, if you willing to spend more the pioneer P90 is only second to Alpine F#1 status. (I am getting the P90 soon )

Last edited by raklert; 06-10-2007 at 01:27 AM.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:19 AM

C200K W203
Wow how could i do something like that but for four 12s?
you cant do it with four twelves. Its tri chamber bandpass box. just two twelves in that box you will loss your hearing already. But if you insist on four 12's to fit in your trunk you gotta have some fiber work. A friend's W124 got 4 JL 12W3 in custom fiberglass enclosure. But now he has a new box housing 2 15's Kicker soloX and this **** is LOUDER.

So what I am saying is its better to have 2 15's than to have 4 12's subs, since our car is sedan with limited trunk space 4 12's can't compare to a properly boxed 2 15's. And with four 12's you will need to spend a lot of money on Class D amps may be four of them? and four more to powered 4 pairs of midrange and tweeters. All that audio equipment can cost a lot of $$$ and not to mention it probably wont all fit in your C unless you remove the back seat.

Thus, the sensible and economical way to do is to get two15's square kicker subs (15"soundstream competition sub is loud too) and power them with two 2000watt calss D amps one on each subs. This will literally tear your little C apart. And no need to worry about the soundproofing trunk no more cuz it will be so loud it will ripp apart your trunk.

I hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails Car audio shops suck....-four-12-s.jpg   Car audio shops suck....-2-15-s.jpg  

Last edited by raklert; 06-10-2007 at 01:36 AM.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:11 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 & s212
but on a good note he said he could do two 12s inside the cabin behind the rear seat headrests and that would hit much harder than in the trunk. So i might have a very unique install being done guys!
i think he just wants to change you extra on labor to have the rear deck customed to fit 2 12's instead of just tossing a box into the trunk. i currently got 2 10" kicker solo baric l5's in the trunk and sometimes i actually wish the trunk WAS sound proof.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:45 PM
Banned

2006 C230
Originally Posted by LaZyxC230K
i think he just wants to change you extra on labor to have the rear deck customed to fit 2 12's instead of just tossing a box into the trunk. i currently got 2 10" kicker solo baric l5's in the trunk and sometimes i actually wish the trunk WAS sound proof.
Lol wow someone that actually thinks the same as me. The only reason i thought it was good was because atleast he said i could get subs, but right from the moment we left i told my uncle that this guy was trying to over charge me in labor.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:04 PM

non-MB
Originally Posted by jay_mark_paul
Yes the trunk is designed and dampened very very very well. I for one do not like anyone on the ouside of my car hearing what I'm playing on the inside. If I turn up the system with the windows closed you can barely and I mean barely hear any vibration or sound outside the vehicle.....now that's a solid trunk. But.... (ohhh boy ) I did cut holes into the upper deck to allow the pressure wave easier access into the cabin.
that looks slick. never seen anyone do something like that. i like it.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:35 PM

Why in the hell people do that to their cars I don't understand. For some reason disturbing everyone else gives you pleasure? I hate people who blast their stereo to the point it shakes their car along with other cars around them. That much sound in the street next to me personally hurts my ears and very inconsiderate, irresponsible and ignorant of that driver to impose on me. It is fine if you go to a show and play for people who want to hear that crap but doing it in public is downright stupid. There are elderly people, small kids and babies around whose ears are a lot more sensitive to high pressure sounds which could even cause pain to them. Doing this just show off is very ignorant thing to do.

It is like shooting a gun near someones ear and saying you weren't shooting at them so they should not complain about it. Be considerate of other people, since not everyone else around you can physically tolerate that much sound or willing to fck up their hearing in order to be cool.

Last edited by gokcer; 06-10-2007 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
Instead of expensive amplifiers, subwoofers, complicated tuning, porting and wiring, why not get a couple of Ewing framing hammers? Mount them on a pivot with a solenoid attached to the head rest. Then it can thump you upside the head to the base line. That would really be a kick in the head.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:53 PM

2005 C240
its all about sound quailty man i personally cant stand listening to music unless its loud and hits hard the only time its low and no base is when your taking a girl on a date and if you dont like my loud music do what everyone else does and close your windows...but if you do that im going to blast it alot louder
Old 06-10-2007, 07:56 PM

C230 Kompressor Sport Coupe
I agree with you somewhat man ive heard many subwoofers including JLs dont get me wrong they are really nice probably the best quality sounding, But theres a reason behind kicker winning mostly every SPL competition they are used to compete in.
first off, SPL competitions are not using off the shelf woofers

secondly, long life is not something worried about for SPL cometitions.

what was your reason again for selecting kicker?

its all about price versus performance. i've seen some bull***** woofers pounding pretty hard and sounding good cause they were driven by a quality amp. on the flip side i've seen crappy amps driving nice woofers and it sounding terrible.

i had a polk momo 12" in a factory sealed box that sounded like crap cause i was pushing it with a cheap amp. remember to keep the big picture in mind.....

i went with the box i have now (Alpine PLV-7 Subwoofer System) is only 500 Watts and i dont have/really need a cap. the new design is unconventional and pounds like two twelves pushed by a 500W amp. it freaking pounds inside the car and outside you feel a good rumble...... i'll put it to you this way, its hard to swallow while the bass pounds, it'll make you choke. putting four twelves in a small trunk just makes it useless.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:03 PM

C230 Kompressor Sport Coupe
Originally Posted by gokcer
It is like shooting a gun near someones ear and saying you weren't shooting at them so they should not complain about it.
i know what you're going for but breaking the sound barrier next to someones head will definately upset them.

the amount of bass felt in the surrounding area of a car with a decent system is nothing more than mild vibration. even next to them at a traffic light.

i always turn my stereo down at a light because i know people dont necessarily want to hear my stereo, but why should they be oh so bothered by my 20 seconds of imposing on them?

on the other side of things, yes, people should simply be considerate and turn it down. i like to blast my music... its a stress releiver for me. when i roll into a car show or whatnot, yeah, its up, its loud, and everyone looks. males have that bred into them. the whole peacock display thing
Old 06-10-2007, 10:25 PM

Mercedes C230 SS Komp
Originally Posted by gregr09
that looks slick. never seen anyone do something like that. i like it.
Thanks Greg. I was looking to do something very different, yet keep the look classy. I'm no wood master by any stretch of the imagination, but I tried to make the 3/4" MDF look like real wood....key word tried...
Old 06-10-2007, 10:56 PM

C200K W203
Why in the hell people do that to their cars I don't understand. For some reason disturbing everyone else gives you pleasure? I hate people who blast their stereo to the point it shakes their car along with other cars around them. That much sound in the street next to me personally hurts my ears and very inconsiderate, irresponsible and ignorant of that driver to impose on me. It is fine if you go to a show and play for people who want to hear that crap but doing it in public is downright stupid. There are elderly people, small kids and babies around whose ears are a lot more sensitive to high pressure sounds which could even cause pain to them. Doing this just show off is very ignorant thing to do.

It is like shooting a gun near someones ear and saying you weren't shooting at them so they should not complain about it. Be considerate of other people, since not everyone else around you can physically tolerate that much sound or willing to fck up their hearing in order to be cool.
people turn up their music because they like their music loud not because they think they are cool. You are the one who is stupid to for saying negative comments like that. There are a lot of things in this world that you wont like besides the 10sec annoyance from bangin sound system, so live with it.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

IS300
I love it when I go to a stoplight and someone has subs. It doesn't really hurt my ears. just a vibration in my stomach Too bad not too many have subs in michigan
Old 06-11-2007, 12:08 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 & s212
Why in the hell people do that to their cars I don't understand. For some reason disturbing everyone else gives you pleasure?
if you pulled up to me, i could careless about what you think. anyways...i doubt there is anyone out there that decided to get a system JUST to disturb everyone else. it's for my pleasure, not yours.

Originally Posted by kompressor85
i always turn my stereo down at a light because i know people dont necessarily want to hear my stereo, but why should they be oh so bothered by my 20 seconds of imposing on them?

on the other side of things, yes, people should simply be considerate and turn it down. i like to blast my music... its a stress releiver for me.
i also do the same. i am considerate when there is a family or eldery next to me at a red light. after a long day of a 12 hour shift at work, bumping your system to it's limit is the best stress reliever for me as well

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Car audio shops suck....