C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Help with COMAND uninstallation, what to do for disconnected D2B?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C240 4matic
Help with COMAND uninstallation, what to do for disconnected D2B?

I have a pre-facelift 2004 C240 with Comand and CD changer. It is a Japanese spec because I bought the car from Japan. I will take the car back to Europe when I move back, therefore it seems that Comand is practically useless (I am a big fan of local FM radio stations, therefore I need the radio). I will therefore more than likely go for the aftermarket radio and at the same time get the latest technology for music (iPod compatible unit, AAC, MP3). I am still considering EU version of Audio 10 from e-bay (easy connection, plug & play to D2B, could still use the CD changer) but more than likely I will go for aftermarket to get the iPod and MP3. Pioneer seems to have a solution to get steering wheel sound volume control + ignition contact by using an additional adapter. And it seems to be quite easy to find facia panels to make a clean install after removing the comand.

Question: what should I do for the D2B cables when I take out the Comand and CD changer? Can I just leave the cables as they are? Is that going to create battery drain if D2B is looking for devices, or is it the D2B simply going to be disabled when the comand is removed?
Old 06-12-2007, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
If you disconnect something it does nothing. So you lose the CD changer.

Didnt anyone tell you about Euro COMAND and the AUX audio input which allows MP3 players to connect ?
Old 06-12-2007, 01:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C240 4matic
I now have a Jap Comand with AUX audio input as well as CD changer in the glove box. I have been suggested a Euro Comand but they seem to be very pricey. So if I have to choose approx. 1k EUR for Euro Comand (D2B) vs. approx. 500 EUR for Pioneer/Blaupunkt including the headunit & steering wheel remote control adapter & iPod cable, I would go for Pioneer or Blaupunkt. That gives the possibility of controlling the iPod from Pioneer/Blaupunkt headunit (+ volume and radio channels&iPod tracks from the steering wheel) as well as compatibility with MP3&AAC audio CDs which would not be possible with Euro Comand (D2B) for pre-facelift W203. In addition, Euro Comand would require manual control of iPod unless I went for very pricey iPod kit for D2B (which still has less features than iPod ready Pioneer/Blaupunkt).

I admit it would be nice to keep the original look + navigation with Euro Comand but they are just so pricey and it seems noone is interested in trading in. If I could, however, get a Euro Comand for less than 500 EUR, I would probably take it and compromise the feature of more modern headunits (iPod integration, MP3&compatible CD drive).
Old 09-14-2007, 03:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'02 C240
Do Japanese COMANDS not work in Europe then? Is it not compatible with nav discs or something?

This might be a bit late but, I do know you can get radio band expanders, for example my bro used to have a Japanese imported Mitsubishi FTO a few years back in the UK and his head unit was of course Japanese but all he had to do was hook up a $20 radio band expander off ebay and its allowed it to receive the UK range of FM channels.

Last edited by RumbleUK; 09-14-2007 at 03:29 AM.