C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

audio piolet

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2002, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
audio piolet

or what ever the thing is that raises the volume of the stereo when there is more noise from driving.

anyone know if there is a mph to volume formula the computer uses? or is there some microphone sensor somewhere?

I was just wondering how the comp knows when to raise the volume and when to lower it.

thanks
~fk
Old 10-10-2002, 08:22 PM

2002 C230 Coupe Black/Charcoal C5 C7 Auto
i think its diff for Bose and non-Bose. I'd be interested in knowing how the Bose one work as well. My A4 had one but it was based on speed of vehicle (and u can adjust sensitivity via the headunit). From what i've read the C230 one is based on dB (then there's gotta be a microphone or something). Can anyone verify that?
Old 10-10-2002, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
i believe audio pilot has a microphone that measures ambient noise.

the speed sensitive volume adjustment is based on, of course, your speed - but i don't know the exact formula.

--

non-bose does not have audio pilot but still has the speed sensitive volume

--

from bose's website
http://www.bose.com/products/auto/tech-windows2.html

"How does AudioPilot work?

A microphone continuously monitors the total sound level inside the car- both the music you want to hear and the noise you don’t. Then, Bose digital electronics separate the music from the noise, and use a compensation algorithm to modify the signal continuously.

It’s difficult to achieve, because the signal modifications must occur as the music plays, noise enters the cabin, and the dynamics of each continues to change. But with the AudioPilot system, everyone in the car can enjoy all the passages - no matter how loud or soft - with no adjustments. And you and your passengers will perceive no change in the overall volume of the audio system. The volume adjustments are that smooth.

Bose AudioPilot circuitry is completely different from conventional speed-controlled car volume features, which simply raise the overall volume as the car increases speed. The Bose system "listens" to the noise, defines its character, then compensates for its presence by adjusting the specific musical tones affected by the noise. To properly engineer our AudioPilot system, we thoroughly examine the car's environment. This knowledge is an important benefit of the Bose “clean sheet” approach to car music system design, in which the vehicle and the sound system are engineered simultaneously from the ground up. "

Last edited by young; 10-10-2002 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10-10-2002, 10:27 PM

So if you have a subwoofer you can fool the sensor??? and then when ur not even moving it will turn up the volume?

~fk
Old 10-10-2002, 10:27 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
On the Bose cars, the microphone is that little black, square grill between the overhead console and the rear view mirror.
Old 10-11-2002, 02:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

"And you and your passengers will perceive no change in the overall volume of the audio system. The volume adjustments are that smooth. "

what a piece of BS !
Old 10-11-2002, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
don't get upset. it's not like bose has never made exaggerated claims.

i look at those kind of comments like when steve jobs give keynote speeches... "Mac are SOOPER DOOPER FAST HYPER SOOPER COMPUTERS... pc sucks."
Old 10-11-2002, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Originally posted by Xeon
"And you and your passengers will perceive no change in the overall volume of the audio system. The volume adjustments are that smooth. "

what a piece of BS !
Personally, I liked the audio pilot. I wish the A10 had it. With the roof open, the A30 could adjust the EQ so that it sounded almost as good (or bad) as it did with the roof closed. I had the speed sensitive volume turned down to the 3db setting and it was nice after that. Now with the A10, the sound "goes out the window" with the roof open and I have to get the speed sensitive thing turned down again.
Old 10-11-2002, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Toyota Tacoma & Lexus IS250
another system that should be consumer adjustable....but of course its NOT!!!

try to explain to the dealer how to change the settings....quote "huh?? what r u talking about?" unquote
Old 10-11-2002, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Originally posted by bagwell
another system that should be consumer adjustable....but of course its NOT!!!

try to explain to the dealer how to change the settings....quote "huh?? what r u talking about?" unquote
Ha ha. What's worse than that: My service dept insists on phrasing my requsts for changes in the form of a problem (sort of like Jeopardy).
The first time I went in I told them to turn the speed sensitive volume setting down to 3db he said, "what's the problem?"

I told him that it was adjustable in 3 steps and to turn it down.

He said, "what's the problem?"

I told him that he needed to connect the Star computer to my car and change the setting for the volume to 3db from 6db but not 0db.

He said, "but what's the problem?"

"Oh I get it", I said. "The volume changes too much as I go faster or slower".

He says, "Ok. No problem, sir. I believe there is a setting in the computer to turn that feature down. We'll get on that right away!"
Old 10-11-2002, 06:49 PM
jlm

Open the pod bay door, please, HAL...
Old 10-11-2002, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
MB-BOB (and all)... I tried and unplugged that mic. No go. I still have the obnoxious volume changes - even though stealer said they set speed adjust to 0db as requested.

ARRGH.

Anyone working at a dealer wanna make a few bucks? Pirate a ghost image of the MB laptop hard drive

P
Old 10-11-2002, 09:11 PM

'02 C230K Coupe
Yeah, I noticed the audiopilot causes the volume to fluctuate much much more when I drive around with the windows open, especially on the freeway (duh!). I understand their need to adjust the volume for ambient noise, but sometimes it's just too much. The HU turns the volume up quite high at times, causing the sound to begin coming out distorted. Gonna ask them to change it at my next service (B service).