C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

DEPO Headlights Thread - everything you ever wanted to know about DEPO

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.

Old 11-18-2005, 01:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C 240 4-matic wagon
DEPO Headlights Thread - everything you ever wanted to know about DEPO

OK I search all the "depo" headlight postings, that being said this is my question. I got my depo fake bixenon lights. running light bulb no problem, blinker fine, the other two are H7's . Which is the high beam? the one behind the projector lens? the H7 are the same wattage. On my cars that had 4 headlight systems it was 55w/85w. With this setup I have 55w/55w . Do I buy a higher wattage H7 for the high beam? and again which one is the high beam? Thanks and I am sorry if this is some type of re-posting of a dead subject. When I turn on the high beams do both H7's come on?
Old 11-18-2005, 01:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CL203
Originally Posted by catwalk
OK I search all the "depo" headlight postings, that being said this is my question. I got my depo fake bixenon lights. running light bulb no problem, blinker fine, the other two are H7's . Which is the high beam? the one behind the projector lens? the H7 are the same wattage. On my cars that had 4 headlight systems it was 55w/85w. With this setup I have 55w/55w . Do I buy a higher wattage H7 for the high beam? and again which one is the high beam? Thanks and I am sorry if this is some type of re-posting of a dead subject. When I turn on the high beams do both H7's come on?
You don't need higher wattage bulbs for Highs, even with real bi-xenons the buls that are used for highs are just 55w, as for the last part, I don't know about if both come on for the Depo lights.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
Originally Posted by catwalk

You cant put higher wattage lol, I figured that out the hard way, my first car's sockets were melted lol.... stupid me

it should be the same size and wattage bulbs for both ur H7s, hbeam or lbeam
Old 03-09-2006, 02:16 PM

DEPO Proj. W203 Headlight Install

Just wanted to share my experiance, should anyone else decide to get these headlights.

I installed the headlights just fine except with the pass. side headlight. The parking and driving lights werent working. After making sure everything was connected properly and all fuses were working. I started to get REALLY PO'd. Even took them back off and put the originals back in (everything worked fine). Anyway to make a long story short. Check the connection between the stock harness and the Depo headlight's plug. Make sure all the prongs inside the headlights housings are extended all the way. For some reason 2 of mine were pushed in. All i had to do was take a pair of plyers and pull them back out. After that everything worked beautifully and I havent had a problem since.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
is not yet completed
post a pic of the headlights...
Old 03-09-2006, 02:36 PM

04 C230K-ss
Originally Posted by xxbenzc230kxx
post a pic of the headlights...
Old 03-09-2006, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 716 Likes on 697 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
give newbie a break...

post pics of everything u said dammit!
Old 03-09-2006, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Blimp
When i did my factory BI-Xenon install, it was probably the worst experience I've ever had..
Old 03-10-2006, 01:20 AM

04 C230K-ss
Originally Posted by Sauceboy01
When i did my factory BI-Xenon install, it was probably the worst experience I've ever had..
Hey you're in Irvine?...why haven't we ran into each other?...I live right behind Uni HS in turtle rock...
Old 03-10-2006, 01:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 164 Likes on 149 Posts
99 E320
Originally Posted by pstylingmikey
<....>Check the connection between the stock harness and the Depo headlight's plug. Make sure all the prongs inside the headlights housings are extended all the way. For some reason 2 of mine were pushed in.<....>
I've encountered same for Depo shells I've handled. So apparently this points
to poor QC or design with those locking pins.

Yes, please post pics. I wish I had a 203 Depo shell to look over and measure
to determine the feasibility and degree of difficulty in retrofitting an HID projector
inside. If anyone in Seattle has Depo or OEM out of the car, let me know and
I'll swing by to take a few measurements.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:19 PM

sorry guys.. my digi cams busted otherwise i would have posted pics.. i'll post some up soon though. i'm in so cal.. rosemead area.. had my car for 2 weeks now.. and not one pic yet.. =/
Old 09-07-2006, 12:13 AM

02 C240
depo lights v.s. OEM factory xenons

is there really a big difference between aftermarket depo projector lights with hid kits on then and oem factory xenons.? Do the depo projector lights not last as long and are reliable?
Old 09-07-2006, 02:59 AM
Super Moderator

bone stock E55 AMG
factory bi-xenon is the best way to go...
then DEPO with HID....
then DEPO with super white halogen bulbs...
Old 09-07-2006, 08:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I read a recent lengthy technicle article published by DOT or some "government" testing agency regarding Depot brand lights. The lowdown is that they were not even close to being acceptable (as in legal) for use on highways. They also had trouble installing and adjusting them since the fit was poor.

Now, if you don't care about blinding oncoming drivers what the hell... The crap manufacturers in China sure could care less...

Last edited by RonKMiller; 09-07-2006 at 08:09 AM.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Friend of mine put these cheap projector lights on his Mustang and they were worse the the 8 year old hazed over factory lights. There's probably little testing. Also are you really saving money? What do the they run, $500, then figure 2 HID kits (bi-xenons are both low and high beam), so $300 each, you are in the same ballpark price of factory bi-xenons.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:34 PM

06 C230 Black/Ash
Originally Posted by Buellwinkle
Friend of mine put these cheap projector lights on his Mustang and they were worse the the 8 year old hazed over factory lights. There's probably little testing. Also are you really saving money? What do the they run, $500, then figure 2 HID kits (bi-xenons are both low and high beam), so $300 each, you are in the same ballpark price of factory bi-xenons.
Hey Buellwinkle,

Do you know where I can get a good deal on the OEM Bi-Xenons kit?

Thank you!
Old 09-07-2006, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by atai888
Hey Buellwinkle,

Do you know where I can get a good deal on the OEM Bi-Xenons kit?

Thank you!

info@mbenznl.com
Old 09-07-2006, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Steve (aka MBENZNL) sells factory blems for a good price, sometimes he has new ones, eitherway, it's the way to go. He comes to CA once every few months and does intalls and can also set the xenon=present option (you'll need that for HID lights to work.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Function?

Who cares if they function or not. ...seriously, if you haven't already turned your back on these crappy lights after see them in person, or in good pictures...you kinda deserve to get something that works as bad as it looks.

900 bucks will get you a brand new set of the OEM Bix lights. And its really HID, not just some cheap *** glass with a blue tinted bulb.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:02 AM

C230 SS
Exclamation Depo Warning

I just bought a pair of DEPO projector head lights and was shoked with the quality. i decided to go with the black finish on the light and recieved them with scratches and lots of dust inside the lense. Also i noticed the lights do not have a selent as do the original BOSH lights. I wanted to get rid of the old 2004 lights i had on my C and now i regret it. Also the lighting was terrible and i basically have no light. Even with the best hallogen bulbs. What can i do i was wondering if anybody knows something about this situation and setting the lights. Do you guys have good illumination with the DEPO lights?
Old 10-10-2006, 02:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A box on 4 wheels
Dean, I bought myself the chrome ones not the black housing ones and I would have to say maybe your just ran into a bad pair. Lighting is the same, no scratches or dust inside the headlamp. Only complaint I have is that the plug that goes into the OEM socket for power is loose.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 164 Likes on 149 Posts
99 E320
sorry you had to come across this bad pair. the Depo for my W210 was very
clean and had sealant surrounding the seam between clear outer lens and
headlight housing. so no problem there. but the light was a diff story. within
30 secs, i knew that it was unacceptable. i've since found that the Depo proj
lens is of inferior quality (poor focus and clarity), and the projector bowl/reflec-
tor is poorly designed as well. the light intensity was anemic and the beam
threw segmented pattern on the pavement in front of the vehicle.

so I seperated the proj from the housing and installed a Hella HID bixenon
projector from an E55 in its place. attached Hella gen3 ballast and Phillips
D2S bulbs. before resealing the headlamp, I spliced the high beam to the
shutter of the bixenon motor. when the bix motor uncovers the whole
HID beam it also triggers the halogen high beam at the same time. very
nice lighting.

on the project table is another Depo but this time, using an RS6 bixenon
projector...which is suppose to yield a bit more blue at the cutoff line.

Old 10-10-2006, 04:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1996 MB E320 & 2010 Nissan Elgrand
Originally Posted by Cappa26
Dean, I bought myself the chrome ones not the black housing ones and I would have to say maybe your just ran into a bad pair. Lighting is the same, no scratches or dust inside the headlamp. Only complaint I have is that the plug that goes into the OEM socket for power is loose.
Just wondering,are you running halogen bulbs or HID kit for the housings?How is the beam pattern? have any pics of the beam on the ground?

Thanks.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1996 MB E320 & 2010 Nissan Elgrand
Originally Posted by raymond g-
sorry you had to come across this bad pair. the Depo for my W210 was very
clean and had sealant surrounding the seam between clear outer lens and
headlight housing. so no problem there. but the light was a diff story. within
30 secs, i knew that it was unacceptable. i've since found that the Depo proj
lens is of inferior quality (poor focus and clarity), and the projector bowl/reflec-
tor is poorly designed as well. the light intensity was anemic and the beam
threw segmented pattern on the pavement in front of the vehicle.

so I seperated the proj from the housing and installed a Hella HID bixenon
projector from an E55 in its place. attached Hella gen3 ballast and Phillips
D2S bulbs. before resealing the headlamp, I spliced the high beam to the
shutter of the bixenon motor. when the bix motor uncovers the whole
HID beam it also triggers the halogen high beam at the same time. very
nice lighting.

on the project table is another Depo but this time, using an RS6 bixenon
projector...which is suppose to yield a bit more blue at the cutoff line.

Is it hard to do for the whole switching lens project?Where did you usually get your OEM lens?

BTW, very nice lighting you have!
Old 10-10-2006, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

bone stock E55 AMG
Originally Posted by DeanL
I just bought a pair of DEPO projector head lights and was shoked with the quality. i decided to go with the black finish on the light and recieved them with scratches and lots of dust inside the lense. Also i noticed the lights do not have a selent as do the original BOSH lights. I wanted to get rid of the old 2004 lights i had on my C and now i regret it. Also the lighting was terrible and i basically have no light. Even with the best hallogen bulbs. What can i do i was wondering if anybody knows something about this situation and setting the lights. Do you guys have good illumination with the DEPO lights?
where did u buy it from? u should be able to get an exchange...
sounds like it's a used pair...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.

Quick Reply: DEPO Headlights Thread - everything you ever wanted to know about DEPO