C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

SMOKED another IS!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2002, 03:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C Class Coupe 02'
SMOKED another IS!!!!

So i'm minding my own business speeding down the 10 freeway weaving to get to the right lane that was open. Going about 90 at 11 pm. Than all the sudden a blue IS gets infront of me, about two car lengths. I'm thinking to myself "what the hell? i dont believe." So i turn off my heater and lowered the radio and floored it. HEHE oh yeah i was going 110 and smoking the IS, i guess he didnt think i had it in me. So thats the second IS i've smoked!!!
Old 10-15-2002, 06:03 AM

Thumbs up

aright~~ benz rules! :P
Old 10-15-2002, 06:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
jeeeez.....I think you were smoking something else too!
Old 10-15-2002, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
Re: SMOKED another IS!!!!

Originally posted by JKDBENZ
So i'm minding my own business speeding down the 10 freeway weaving to get to the right lane that was open. Going about 90 at 11 pm. Than all the sudden a blue IS gets infront of me, about two car lengths. I'm thinking to myself "what the hell? i dont believe." So i turn off my heater and lowered the radio and floored it. HEHE oh yeah i was going 110 and smoking the IS, i guess he didnt think i had it in me. So thats the second IS i've smoked!!!
the coupe can beat an IS? according to lexus, their 0-60 is 6.8 seconds. the coupe is what? 7.8? not sure as the mbusa website doesn't say - but edmunds has it at 7.8seconds. are you sure they were trying?
Old 10-15-2002, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Ok, I'll post this before someone else does :

So i turn off my heater and lowered the radio and floored it.
Does this add HP? How much and do you have a dyono chart to prove it?

Old 10-15-2002, 10:21 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
14 ML350 4MATIC
Re: Re: SMOKED another IS!!!!

Originally posted by young
the coupe can beat an IS? according to lexus, their 0-60 is 6.8 seconds. the coupe is what? 7.8? not sure as the mbusa website doesn't say - but edmunds has it at 7.8seconds. are you sure they were trying?
IMHO, it is about fare(?) race...

MB is usally slow in dead-start race which is 0-60, but it is fast in rolling start. They were alreay rolling at high speed, so ...........
Old 10-15-2002, 11:04 AM

2002 C230 Coupe Black/Charcoal C5 C7 Auto
avlis, Yes ac/heater does help esp. on 4 cycl. cars (on Honda's they lose as much as 5hp+ with ac/heater on). Turning the radio off prob is not necessary unless u're running a high powered aftermarket system (amps, woofers, etc) but when i'm racing i dont take chances and like to focus on the driving so i turn off radio as well (also allows you to hear your engine and the rival's....helps to know if he's spraying nitrous, have suprchgr/turbo, etc.

MBSang, MB quote the coupe 6spd as 0-60 7.2 and auto as 7.5. When the engine is more broken in it supposedly should have better performance. also the IS could be an auto (prior 2003 all are autos) which was advertised 0-60 around 7.5 if i rem correctly.
Old 10-15-2002, 11:30 AM

2017 GLA 250 4Matic
JKDBenz:

Good job! One more for the Benz! I don't like IS300's anyways. They're so Honger-like. You guys know what Hongers are right?
Old 10-15-2002, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally posted by avlis
Ok, I'll post this before someone else does :

Does this add HP? How much and do you have a dyono chart to prove it?

It doesn't "add" Hp. It does free up some power, however, that's pretty obvious. Not too much, but you don't wan't it to be waisted in moments like this, do you?

Last edited by vadim; 10-15-2002 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-15-2002, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
Originally posted by Big Sheesh
You guys know what Hongers are right?
nope... what is a Honger?
Old 10-15-2002, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
I've got a better one...

Turned the corner yesterday and a guy in an IS was staring blatently at my car... he had that..

"Damn, I could've bought that Benz instead of this Toyota..."

look on his face!

LOL
Old 10-15-2002, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

While turning off the air conditioning will free up some hp consumed by the compressor, turning off the heater does nothing.
Old 10-15-2002, 11:58 AM

2017 GLA 250 4Matic
Hongers are people from Hong Kong, usually refering to the 18-25 year old range. They are spoiled punks who haven't worked a day in their lives and yet they drive fancy cars such as Lexus, MB, Audi, VW, BMW, Porsche.

There's a lot of them in Vancouver and they think they're so cool when you see them in their cars. They almost forget that it's NOT their car, it's their dads!

These punks always talk about mods and how they're going to mod their cars. The embarassing thing is watching them go up to dad and using dad's money to treat daddy to lunch to work him up b4 asking him for more money to do the mods.

There's way too many of these punks over here in Vancouver. I don't want to imagine how the society will be like 10 years down the road when all the hard working, value-appreciating people die. The whole city will be running full of these Hongers.
Old 10-15-2002, 01:01 PM

2002 C230K, Auto, etc.
Thumbs down Hongers

I live in Lil Saigon...just south of LA. This place is crawling with Vietnamese driving their tricked out Acuras/Honda Civics. Some are very cool looking but most are not. They don't seem to have much in the way of style. Example: Most seem to think having a spoiler sticking out about a foot on each side of their Civic looks cool. And those stupid lights under the car, in the back window and on the dash. I guess they miss seeing Toyko by night.

My wife is Vietnamese and even she thinks they look pretty dumb. But hey...........I was young once and had those fuzzy dice hanging from my mirror..

Enjoy the views...........too each their own.

Want to see spoiled? Check out the 'burnout' section and see what rich kids do for kicks............I guess it's better than shooting people...
Old 10-15-2002, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally posted by Lynn
While turning off the air conditioning will free up some hp consumed by the compressor, turning off the heater does nothing.
it does - the blower also consumes some power.
Old 10-15-2002, 01:05 PM

2002 C230 Coupe Black/Charcoal C5 C7 Auto
Hongers are people from Hong Kong, usually refering to the 18-25 year old range. They are spoiled punks who haven't worked a day in their lives and yet they drive fancy cars such as Lexus, MB, Audi, VW, BMW, Porsche.
WOw sound a lil angry there. Don't get me wrong I'm working and paying for my car on my own but I had help from parents that allow me to get to this point (no college loans...wheww). I do agree that a good number of Riceboys (aka Hongers) drive around nice cars that they do not own and f*%k them up with giant stickers, exhaust tip, spoiler etc. and you see the mom or dad sometime still have to drive them (I'd smack my kid if he/she did that....in a non-abusive way of course ) Some ppl. are just born into an easier life then others....am i anvious? yes sometime....but angry? no...b/c thats the life they were handed to.
Old 10-15-2002, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Originally posted by vadim
Really? So the alt. will have a bit more load on it... I'm not sure that can add up to a measurable amount of HP loss.
Old 10-15-2002, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The amount of power used by the electric blower motor is so small as to be unoticeable in the real world. Once up on a time, street racers and stock class drag racers used to race with the heater on full blast on the theory that would keep the engine a little cooler, thereby making a little more hp. I remember my dad and his friends doing this at the local strip in the '50's.

192 hp is 143,232 watts. The few watts used to drive the heater fan is nothing.
Old 10-15-2002, 01:46 PM

There's a lot of them in Vancouver and they think they're so cool when you see them in their cars. They almost forget that it's NOT their car, it's their dads!

These punks always talk about mods and how they're going to mod their cars. The embarassing thing is watching them go up to dad and using dad's money to treat daddy to lunch to work him up b4 asking him for more money to do the mods.

There's way too many of these punks over here in Vancouver. I don't want to imagine how the society will be like 10 years down the road when all the hard working, value-appreciating people die. The whole city will be running full of these Hongers.

In Chinese culture, parents support children untill they graduate from college, find a job, and become finicial indepent, (some parents keep supporting after that point as well). That's why most of chinese youngsters got their cars by their parents' money..

In Orange County, California, lots of "high school" kids (mostly from Taiwan and Hong Kong) are driving Benz and BMWs, some are even driving Acura NSXs ($110,000 if I am correct)

Another reason why those people are buying good cars in USA is because a Benz or BMW would cost up to 2x the price in their home country because of the high import tax, so they thought it is a pretty good deal to get a Benz or BMW in here. (You know what I mean? when you see something that's 50% off, even the price is still high, but that gives you the will to buy it)
Old 10-15-2002, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally posted by Lynn
The amount of power used by the electric blower motor is so small as to be unoticeable in the real world. Once up on a time, street racers and stock class drag racers used to race with the heater on full blast on the theory that would keep the engine a little cooler, thereby making a little more hp.
That would contradict the laws of thermodynamics.

And you are right about the blower's negligible effect on the overall picture, but it's those little things that may tip the scale. You may say that a rear seatback also has no effect on acceleration since its weighs almost nothing compared to the car itself etc. - but it usually gets removed to squeeze that fraction of a second. The same goes about the lights and the stereo.
Old 10-15-2002, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
That would contradict the laws of thermodynamics.
When the heater is running a fan is blowing air through the heater core (which is essentially a little radiator). This will drop the motor's temperature slightly.

I find that the C230K has good highway acceleration. I'm impressed by the car's ability to zip from 80-100 mph.

Cheers, BT
Old 10-15-2002, 02:31 PM

C Class Coupe 02'
Wow so much disagreement about heaters and radios. 1. I turned off the heater cause it does make a difference in terms of speed and mileage. I'm pushing my car as it is, i dont need to kill my gas mileage even more so. 2. I turned down my radio cause i needed to concentrate on the road not bob my head to xzibit. 3. as for the hongers------WHY YOU HATING? who cares if these high school kids or young kids have nice cars? i'm not going to stereo type all chinese people based on the car they drive. I'm paying for my car myself, yes my parents did make the down payment and some payments but thats equivalent to a honda civic. I'm taking the responsibility to pay off the rest. Also my brother drives an S2000 and he's paying for it all by himself. My point being hongers as you so nicely put it (racist) have money, but dont all parents want their kids to do better than they did???

ps thats the second IS i've smoked for those that missed it so no its not a fluke.
Old 10-15-2002, 02:48 PM
Almost a Member!

S55 AMG
Re: Hongers

Originally posted by GTIDAN

My wife is Vietnamese and even she thinks they look pretty dumb. But hey...........
That's a bit insulting to your wife isn't it?
Old 10-15-2002, 03:22 PM

C230 Kompressor (02 Copupe)
hm..

In Chinese culture, parents support children untill they graduate from college, find a job, and become finicial indepent, (some parents keep supporting after that point as well). That's why most of chinese youngsters got their cars by their parents' money..
Not onlyu in chinese culture, but in South America and Europe too...

for example, pour coupe is $29.000 here in FL, its $59.000 in Venezuela (my country).
Old 10-15-2002, 03:37 PM

2002 C230 Coupe
Re: hm..

Originally posted by Scylas
Not onlyu in chinese culture, but in South America and Europe too...

for example, pour coupe is $29.000 here in FL, its $59.000 in Venezuela (my country).
And it is about $50K in Hong Kong.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SMOKED another IS!!!!