C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

used H&R Springs from diff. year..will it fit my ride?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 05:58 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 White C230 Kompressor Coupe(Black Interior)
used H&R Springs from diff. year..will it fit my ride?

I got in touch with this person that's selling H&R Springs(used) from his C230(96-2000) Anybody has any idea whether this would fit my 2002 c230, i dunno if it is any diff? Help me out peoples.. thanx Also.. a good or bad idea buying used springs, it's not abused at all.
Old 10-16-2002, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No.

Want to save money, remove your springs, cut some off and put them back in. You have to figure that the springs where cut from a really long spring somewhere, they weren't cast in that shape. If you want to do it, measure the spring compressed, measure it uncompressed and that will give you the ratio. Say it's twice as big uncompressed, then to lower 1" you remove about 2" of spring. I'll give you a head start, the rear is 12" uncompressed.
Old 10-16-2002, 10:22 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Re: used H&R Springs from diff. year..will it fit my ride?

Originally posted by KompressorBabee
I got in touch with this person that's selling H&R Springs(used) from his C230(96-2000) Anybody has any idea whether this would fit my 2002 c230, i dunno if it is any diff? Help me out peoples.. thanx Also.. a good or bad idea buying used springs, it's not abused at all.
i dont think the 96-00 will fit, if i was u i would just buy new H&R springs and save the trouble of wondering what has been done to the used ones.
Old 10-17-2002, 10:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 c230k
Originally posted by Buellwinkle
No.

Want to save money, remove your springs, cut some off and put them back in. You have to figure that the springs where cut from a really long spring somewhere, they weren't cast in that shape. If you want to do it, measure the spring compressed, measure it uncompressed and that will give you the ratio. Say it's twice as big uncompressed, then to lower 1" you remove about 2" of spring. I'll give you a head start, the rear is 12" uncompressed.
You are kidding, right? Springs are not 'cut from bigger springs'. LOL ROTF
Springs are bent on a spring forming mandrel to create specific diameters and winding pitches from a spring steel rod and sheared off at the ends, not sawn. Do not cut a coil off your stock springs, it will be bad, very bad. You will find that a lowering spring starts off shorter and compresses less per pound of force than the stock one. It will also have a different winding pitch and thickness than stock. A variable or progressive rate spring will change winding pitch over the length of the spring. I'd love to see this 'really long spring' that Buellwinkle is dreaming up!
Old 10-17-2002, 11:51 AM
Out Of Control!!

Do not cut your springs! The only simlilarities between different springs are they all start out as metal. They are not cut from the same springs!

There was a lot more done to these huge coils than simply cutting them 12" and slapping them on the back of a Mercedes.
Old 10-17-2002, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

People cut springs all the time all sorts of cars and trucks. It's not that big a deal. I know some springs are custom shaped individually to have a flat top and bottom but the MB springs are pretty simple springs. I heard that you should only cut a full coil at a time. They even showed how to do it on one of those TNN shows like Horsepower TV. Just search cutting springs on Google and you'll see that it's a very common practice. Maybe not for the Champagne and Caviar set but certainly a common practice.

So what do you get with springs like H&R? A stiffer ride for better handling and that's why it's worth it to some enthusiasts. If you are loweing primarily for appearance and you want to have similar ride and handling, then cutting is the way to go.
Old 10-17-2002, 12:32 PM

2002 c230k
People cut springs all the time all sorts of cars and trucks. It's not that big a deal. I know some springs are custom shaped individually to have a flat top and bottom but the MB springs are pretty simple springs. I heard that you should only cut a full coil at a time. They even showed how to do it on one of those TNN shows like Horsepower TV. Just search cutting springs on Google and you'll see that it's a very common practice. Maybe not for the Champagne and Caviar set but certainly a common practice.

So what do you get with springs like H&R? A stiffer ride for better handling and that's why it's worth it to some enthusiasts. If you are loweing primarily for appearance and you want to have similar ride and handling, then cutting is the way to go.
People also shoot heroin all the time, that doesn't make it right! HorsepowerTV is great if you have a mullet and an IQ of a can of beans. It may be common practice among people with no clue and less money. I've seen the motorheads that cut thier springs go over potholes and have the spring jump off the perch because there wasnt enough tension on the spring. If you saw the end you will weaken the temper of the spring steel right where it matters. You will also bottom out more often and have less control. But, it ain't my car so do whatever makes you happy.
Old 10-17-2002, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Great analogy, shooting heroin is like lowering your car. What did you score on your analogies section of the SAT? If it makes you feel better, Nevada has a state ballot initiative to legalize Marijuana for personal consumption.
Old 10-17-2002, 12:52 PM

2002 c230k
Great analogy, shooting heroin is like lowering your car. What did you score on your analogies section of the SAT? If it makes you feel better, Nevada has a state ballot initiative to legalize Marijuana for personal consumption.
I only got a 1520 on my SATs way back in 1982. And heroin is like cutting your springs - just stupid...it might satisfy at first but your in for a world of trouble later. Gee.. I guess you were not going that deep. You can keep your pot for yourself, it seems to be doing wonders for you!

Last edited by mdp c230k; 10-17-2002 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-26-2002, 02:04 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 White C230 Kompressor Coupe(Black Interior)
Unhappy

Umm Thanx 4 the supplied info on the springs... this thread turned out to be a pretty hostile atmosphere.