C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

My trip to the dealer for service...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2002, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awaiting a new arrival...
My trip to the dealer for service...

As I posted a few days back, I wanted to service my 2 primary vehicles before winter arrvives, regardless of what the FSS says the car needs. I basically took the day off to play service time, as no loaners were to be had, pretty much the norm, which is ok, I understand they can't give everyone a free rental.

Vehicle 1 - 2001 ML320 Sport, 14500 miles, right between its first and second recommended oil changes.

Had the dealer so a Service C, for which they mischarged me (read: undercharged). That was under $49 with tax. Ummm, ok, no complaint here. Included the nearly 9qts of synthetic in that, the filter, the labor...

They also performed several warranty repairs that had parts ordered months ago, but they never had loaners available to get me scheduled in. 17" wheel replaced eu to peeling clearcoat, MCS radio, center console, rear fog light bulbs....

Services done in 4 hours, vehicle washed (a relatively decent wash) and I was home to get vehicle number 2 at lunchtime.

Vehicle 2 - 2002 C230 Coupe, 2500 miles, way before any services are needed.

I was looked at like I was a nut when I asked for an oil change. Hmmm, I read several articles this morning by MB techs indicating it is absolutely fine to go in between the FSS recommendations and it is cheap insurance in the long run. Glad somebody thinks as I do...

Complained about the shifter vagueness and difficulty to shift when cold, especially the 1-2 and the propensity for the car to not go into gear when cold and at a stop light (I always warm it for 1 minuted before going anywhere). Commented there may be a TSB out there regarding fluid and difficulty shifting.

Asked regarding a "221" key to get the hatch popper...

Asked regarding the windshield fogging and the center vent...

I got a bill for the oil change, $73+...note, that's a LOT higher than just the Service C on my ML320 above.

They indicated they drained some fluid from the tranny, per the TSB that does NOT apply to the coupes, but to the same tranny elsewhere. Also stated they shouldn't change the fluid in the tranny, as it is sealed. WTF? It was suggested I should drive the car and call them next week to report how the tranny is. I drive manuals enough to know, this one doesn't feel right...I wanted the fluid changed, didn't get it. I told them I understood it was my expense, still didn't happen. It will go back next week, and now MBUSA can cover the cost of the change...the shifting felt WORSE going home.

No center vent info returned...

Hatch popper keys don't exist for the car and can't be ordered....

Oily fingerprints on my glovebox, the contents of which were rummaged through and I am not a happy camper.

I won't even comment on the wash quality, which I didn't want...

Will complain tomorrow for the lack of "service" and decide how bad they get slammed on the survey I know will come...I took a day off to get these things on the record. What a waste for the afternoon portion...
Old 10-17-2002, 07:41 PM

You've gotten me fired up cuz I'm taking mine in tomorrow for the first time. Only issues I really have are 1) upholstery material coming away from backing plate on rear seat, 2) shade for sunroof "pops" like a coiled spring is hanging if I don't use it every day, and 3) my "217" key doesn't operate the remote window function unless you're close enough to touch the door yourself. I feel the same way you do, this car is immaculate and if I see greasy fingerprints, it won't be good.
Old 10-17-2002, 08:17 PM

C230 coupe 6sp
slcvr6, You might as well give up on the transmisson problem. Mine has been in 4 times, had the 2nd gear syncro replaced and all the other updates done, and it still shifts like crap. It will get better with some more miles on it, then it will shift a little less like crap. It is so frustrating, there are not words for it, because MB says it is "normal". Leave it overnight, and make them drive it in the morning on a cold day. Maybe you will get lucky and someone besides an idiot will test drive it and agree with you. But still, even if they replace the whole transmission, it may not be any better. I feel for you.
Old 10-17-2002, 08:55 PM

I will say this, after a few miles of driving tonight...

The car revs like a different car with the fresh oil. It feels a lot more "loose", so whatever it was running for break-in, seemed pretty heavy. The traction light was on like nuts without trying hard to accelerate.

I was able to run straight down 1-2 shifts three times in a row tonight, which was never possible before. It still grinds BADLY when cold, but once warmed, it shifted better than it did. Maybe some of that is mental, maybe some of that is from losing some fluid. I have grown so used to shifting 1-3 in this car, it is sad.

Tomorrow morning when it is 35 degrees will tell me whether the tranny is fixed or otherwise I am sure...

Last edited by slcvr6; 10-17-2002 at 09:03 PM.
Old 10-19-2002, 10:31 AM

Here's an update...

I purposely made sure every shift yesterday was 1-2, none of the 1-3 crap I've been doing for months. I drove the car 3 times where it was completely cooled down, i.e. sat for 4+ hours and had no temp reading on start up. Warm up for a minute and go.

It didn't grind one time on the 1-2 when completely cold, but it ground every time on the 1-2 once the car was warmed 5 minutes or so. Weird, the problem went from cold only to warm only. Same noise as before, a metal on metal sound. I'm not speed shifting here, but rather trying to make a simple transition from 1st to 2nd. If I pull the lever out of first, center it into neutral for a split second and then go into 2nd, it eliminates most of the grind. However, who wants to shift like that all the time...1-3 was hard enough...

I'll drive it all weekend and back it goes to the dealer next week to have the fluid drained and inspected. If there is anything metallic in there, I want a replacement. If not, we'll bring it in enough to make sure my dealer and MBUSA understands my unhapiness. There are enough people on here complaining about similar issues that it isn't just me and I am not imagining the problem.