C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Well, its over, the engine blew up!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2002, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 C320, Brilliant Silver
Originally posted by vadim
Is this supposed to make the M less of a hatchback?
nope, all I'm saying is that M coupe didn't move down market, it holds the M car name.
Old 10-26-2002, 06:28 PM
Banned

'01 C240/6
Geez, Friday nights and Saturdays - don't you guys ever get out of the house? Step away from the keyboard for a few minutes, there's a big world out there!

Anyways, to address each of you:

1) Timmy (aka "Tommy Flanagan")- Glad to see you can post a pic of a doc. I never doubted you wrecked your car. You are a 19 year old that is not coordinated enough to drive a stick. Crashing your Hatchback Automatic is no surprise. Your embellishment with meeting the girl, etc. was nice, too.

But, now that you can post pics of docs, please post the carjacking report. Certainly, you must have been given some document. Also, your "blown up engine car" can't be at a dealer without you having some paperwork. No car is ever sitting in a dealership service dept without documentation. Post the pic.

2) Vadim - yes, the M Coupe is also technically a hatchback. We've already dealt with that, pay attention! Here's a cut and paste of the prior discussion:

"Yes, the M Coupe is technically a hatchback.

But, because it doesn't have a rear seat, it's styling is not prototypical economy car hatchback, like the MB Hatchback.

Its more a "hatchback" in the same vein as other sports cars that have a hatch - Corvette, Z car, 924/928, etc., all of which have no (or no significant) back seat.

Although I'd say that the M Coupe, with its more upright hatch, is more of a hatchback than those other cars.

But is the M Coupe "just a hatchback." Hardly. Styling-wise, it is very unique, not a dead-ringer for the old VW Corrado. Any car with 333 hp is also not "just a hatchback" or "just" anything, but instead a very special car. Not in the same class in any way as a $25,000, 192 hp, 3400 lb Hatchback.

Its not that difficult. MB Hatchback = hatchback. BMW 318ti = Hatchback. Dodge Colt Hatchback = hatchback. VW Golf = Hatchback. They all share the common, prototypical economy car hatchback style: Small, 2 door, seats for 4 adults, large hatch. That's simply what the common definition of a "hatchback" is.

And, 99% of people don't find it difficult, either. Put a MB Hatchback in front of 10 people, and ask them "What body style is that car." 9 or 10 out of 10 will say "hatchback."

It is what it is. Why are Hatchback owners so eager to kid themselves?"

Here's the tread for context: https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...+AND+Hatchback

(Its a great thread because in the middle of the debate, MB BOB got the last word, and before I could respond, the thread was mysteriously locked. Must have been a computer glitch).

BlackC230Hatchback: I never said that all hatchbacks are downmarket. The introduction of the MB Hatchback to the US market, however, was a move by MB to move the line downmarket. Just like the Jag X is a move downmarket for Jag. That's just a fact, deal with it. You are one of the most difficult here to debate with - you have absolutely no logical reasoning skills. What's the highest grade you completed?

MikeT: C240/C320 = Sedan. C230 = Hatchback. Any questions? (P.S. Run a search on Yahoo "C230 + Hatchback" and you'll see almost 10,000 articles, etc. referring to the C230 as a Hatchback. I guess all those thousands of people, writers, industry people, Edmunds, KBB, etc. are all wrong. Your "stepback" thing is pretty funny - but really stretching it! I'd expect that from someone like Vadim - but not you! Although I know you're just kidding).

Finally, as far as speed, the current R&T sitting in front of me shows they tested the MB Hatchback manual transmission car at 0-60 in 7.6 seconds. They don't list the C240/6 - but most tests I've seen are around 8.2. That's roughly half a second. The cars are both in the range of "average" in acceleration - there is a huge number of cars that do 0-60 in the 7.6 to 8.2 range (Maxima, Honda Accord V6, Civic SI, Volvos, etc.)

I've driven both the Hatchback manual and the C240 manual. To me, the Hatchback does feel a touch quicker - but certainly not a huge or even significant difference. The biggest difference is in the way they get to 60 - the V6 is smooth while the Hatchback 4 banger feels like a lawnmower engine or a real MB with a broken engine mount.

Have a nice weekend! Seriously, some of you should get out, get some sunshine, interact with some live people, etc.

Last edited by SoCal240/6; 10-26-2002 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-26-2002, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 CLK430
are you seriously here just to **** people off? if this is the case, then i dont think we are the ones that need a life.... if youve got a problem with the guys in the forum, or "hatchbacks" you are free to leave....
you like your 240, they like their 230, why cant it just be left at that?

Regards,
Eric
Old 10-26-2002, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Petie
are you seriously here just to **** people off? if this is the case, then i dont think we are the ones that need a life.... if youve got a problem with the guys in the forum, or "hatchbacks" you are free to leave....
you like your 240, they like their 230, why cant it just be left at that?

Regards,
Eric
SoCal240 paid a lot more for his much slower car so he takes it out on the coupe owners to make him life seem more significant. Everyone one on this forum knows it so it's now big deal, just ignore him, afterall, he spent a long time believing his car is a cabriolet.
Old 10-26-2002, 07:16 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Originally posted by SoCal240/6
been a computer glitch).

BlackC230Hatchback: I never said that all hatchbacks are downmarket. The introduction of the MB Hatchback to the US market, however, was a move by MB to move the line downmarket. Just like the Jag X is a move downmarket for Jag. That's just a fact, deal with it. You are one of the most difficult here to debate with - you have absolutely no logical reasoning skills. What's the highest grade you completed?

HAHAHAHA BlackC230Hatchback LOL. I have to admit i did crack up from that one.

Do u find your self strange that not one person on this fourm likes you? I have never seen one compliment ever made by you. Thats even goes for one normal reply. Do u have any friends off line? Or are you really even married? i dont think so, so can you please post the marriage certificate? or wedding pictures? You certinly should be able to have that.

I can understand why you post the majority of your posts the way they are if you are 12 or 13. But someone saying they are married is actually talking like this? almost 100% of your post are negitive and you say we have nothing better to do?

with this quote you made "You are one of the most difficult here to debate with - you have absolutely no logical reasoning skills. What's the highest grade you completed?" I can almost garantee that i am alot younger than you and i still would never say some of the **** you say. I am only one of the most difficult to deal with because i think every post you ever made sucked! And your can never give a full explanation of anything without a negitive comment and you have no logical reasoning skills at all.

Please Grow Up!

BTW- like i said in another thread can you please post pics of your M5 i am dying to see it!!!!!
Old 10-26-2002, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 Citron Green C230KMT
Run a search on Yahoo "C230 + Hatchback" and you'll see almost 10,000 articles, etc. referring to the C230 as a Hatchback. I guess all those thousands of people, writers, industry people, Edmunds, KBB, etc. are all wrong.
i just ran the search on Yahoo!

C230 + Hatchback: 1 - 20 of 11,800

C230 + Coupe: 1 - 20 of 17,500

if this is a democracy then majority wins. im not saying those 11,800 are wrong, but there are 17,500 who seem to call it a coupe. the numbers speak for themselves.
Old 10-26-2002, 11:12 PM

Re: spankdoggy!

Originally posted by yodlebenz
is this the same spankdouchie that hangs over on roadbikereview.com?

noooooooooooooo!

hehe just kiddin.
yep, that is me. I mean no disrespect by calling the coupe a hatchback by the way.

I think it is a cool car. Very cool.

I and my wife ordered the bordeaux with c7,c1,c5 and a disc changer. Pretty cool looking car. I was golfing in Napa at the Chardonnay golf course, and amongst all the cars in the lot, a 230 pulled up, and their was a crowd around it; youngsters...

It is a sharp looking car.
Old 10-27-2002, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
2) Vadim - yes, the M Coupe is also technically a hatchback. We've already dealt with that, pay attention! Here's a cut and paste of the prior discussion:

"Yes, the M Coupe is technically a hatchback.

But, because it doesn't have a rear seat, it's styling is not prototypical economy car hatchback, like the MB Hatchback.

Its more a "hatchback" in the same vein as other sports cars that have a hatch - Corvette, Z car, 924/928, etc., all of which have no (or no significant) back seat.

Although I'd say that the M Coupe, with its more upright hatch, is more of a hatchback than those other cars.

But is the M Coupe "just a hatchback." Hardly. Styling-wise, it is very unique, not a dead-ringer for the old VW Corrado. Any car with 333 hp is also not "just a hatchback" or "just" anything, but instead a very special car. Not in the same class in any way as a $25,000, 192 hp, 3400 lb Hatchback.

Its not that difficult. MB Hatchback = hatchback. BMW 318ti = Hatchback. Dodge Colt Hatchback = hatchback. VW Golf = Hatchback. They all share the common, prototypical economy car hatchback style: Small, 2 door, seats for 4 adults, large hatch. That's simply what the common definition of a "hatchback" is.
Lame attempt to twist the reality to make it fit your "definition". Check Merriam-Webster for one - it is a reputable, universally accepted source. But, wait... It doesn't agree with yours, so scrap it!

The C Coupe is as much a coupe as it is a hatchback. Even if it wasn't - there is no such model "C Hatchback" in the MB lineup. It is officially called "C Sportscoupe".

You have made a few comments about certain forum members to the effect that they make up stories to draw attention they are deprived of - but aren't you doing just that yourself? You *deliberately* keep pissing other forum members off, likely to draw some heat that you appear to enjoy. That's exactly what forum trolls do.

Last edited by vadim; 10-27-2002 at 12:09 AM.
Old 10-27-2002, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C320
Originally posted by Buellwinkle
SoCal240 paid a lot more for his much slower car so he takes it out on the coupe owners to make him life seem more significant. Everyone one on this forum knows it so it's now big deal, just ignore him, afterall, he spent a long time believing his car is a cabriolet.
BWAAAAAA HAAAAAA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
Old 10-27-2002, 07:21 PM

I test drove the 240. Its so dam slow compared to my C230. Now dont get me wrong, I also have a clk 320 and I definately prefer the sound of that 6! But performance wise, I have to say that the coupe is a great by. It is much more modern than my 99 Clk convertible, and drives alot more nimble
Old 10-27-2002, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

maybe SoCal240/6 should change his handle to SlowCal240/6
Old 10-27-2002, 07:26 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 C320, 2001 Honda Civic, 1999 Lexus ES300.
No offense, I'm probably wrong, but to me a coupe has a trunk lid no glass, a hatchback is the the opposite. The 230 is a MB hatchback. But who cares anyway. My nissan 240 was a coupe..Its all the same ****. This trend should be closed, enough waste of bandwith.

Last edited by two.face; 10-27-2002 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-27-2002, 07:26 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally posted by CitronC230K_03
maybe SoCal240/6 should change his handle to SlowCal240/6
lol, it would definitly would not be a lie.
Old 10-27-2002, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by two.face
No offense, I'm probably wrong, but to me a coupe has a trunk lid no glass, a hatchback is the the opposite. The 230 is a MB hatchback. But who cares anyway. My nissan 240 was a coupe..Its all the same ****. This trend should be closed, enough waste of bandwith.
i think this goes back to the same argument as before. the corvette has a trunk with glass, as does the camero, 944 porche, VW golf/new beetle, viper, 318ti, integra/RSX, eclipse, and so on. where is the definition. some say it is a 2 with trunk and glass, that makes a coupe. then there is a 2+ small teenie tiny 2 back seat and a trunk and glass that makes a coupe. anyways, a hatch is a hatch, whether it be in a hatchback or a coupe with a trunk and glass lift. either way its a point that will be fought over for many threads to come.
Old 10-27-2002, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK430
guys, there is no answer to this arguement, so why bother having it....is the C230 a coupe? why yes it is indeed. is the C230 a hatchback? under the definition, yes it is, along with many other high performance sports cars. for some reason, when someone calls you guys' C230 a hatchback, yall react like they slapped your mother. it doesnt matter what you call the damn thing, its the car you bought because that is what you wanted, nothing more can be said. Mercedes calls it a Coupe, therefore it is a Coupe, the body construction may be that of a hatchback, but it is called a coupe. if you want to call it a hatchback, by all means if it makes you feel better about your peni$ size, but it doesnt really matter either way. in my opinion coupe vs. hatchback does nothing to change the value or status of the car.

Regards,
Eric
Old 10-27-2002, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Audi S4
guys, there is no answer to this arguement, so why bother having it....is the C230 a coupe? why yes it is indeed. is the C230 a hatchback? under the definition, yes it is, along with many other high performance sports cars. for some reason, when someone calls you guys' C230 a hatchback, yall react like they slapped your mother. it doesnt matter what you call the damn thing, its the car you bought because that is what you wanted, nothing more can be said. Mercedes calls it a Coupe, therefore it is a Coupe, the body construction may be that of a hatchback, but it is called a coupe. if you want to call it a hatchback, by all means if it makes you feel better about your peni$ size, but it doesnt really matter either way. in my opinion coupe vs. hatchback does nothing to change the value or status of the car.

Regards,
Eric
Excellent post!
Old 10-27-2002, 10:23 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally posted by AndrewK
Excellent post!
i agree, untill SoCalC240/6 reads it, he will say its not a coupe its a Hatchback!
Old 10-27-2002, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK430
Originally posted by AndrewK
Excellent post!
Thank you, thought maybe id get some flames, maybe i will, but theres nothing wrong with the coupe, regardless of its name, whatever that may be. Last time i checked, it had a three pointed star on the front, meaning 80% of America cant say a damn word to you about your "hatchback". I could make a strong argument that my moms Yukon XL Denali is indeed a bus and not an SUV, but that seems about as productive as trying to make chicken salad out of chicken ****.....and im done.....

Eric
Old 10-28-2002, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ermm....

hatchback or coupe..it is still a 4 wheel, 2 door, 1 engine, able-to-move metal object made by a company call Mercedes Benz.

So..Whats the big deal?

If i advertise to sell it as a coupe, will it fetch me a higher resale value? if i go the hatchy way...will it? if it will, i dont care what i call it!
Old 10-28-2002, 02:39 AM

Thank you, thought maybe id get some flames, maybe i will, but theres nothing wrong with the coupe, regardless of its name, whatever that may be. Last time i checked, it had a three pointed star on the front, meaning 80% of America cant say a damn word to you about your "hatchback". I could make a strong argument that my moms Yukon XL Denali is indeed a bus and not an SUV, but that seems about as productive as trying to make chicken salad out of chicken ****.....and im done.....

Eric
Amen.

spankdoggie

Last edited by spankdoggie; 10-28-2002 at 02:41 AM.
Old 10-28-2002, 03:13 AM

2000 E-class
holy moly, 119 posts?????
Old 10-28-2002, 04:25 AM

2002 C230K Coupe
No need to get mad at me.

You totally made up the "car-jacking" and you are at it again.

You're the one doing it. I'm just pointing out the obvious (although its absolutely AMAZING how gullible so many people are - esp. with these "stories" from a known fibber. You guys will believe anything).

Like most teens, you are attention starved - but you really take it to an extreme. You might want to get some help for your "issues."

C'mon people, lets get real.
Am I the only one that agrees with SoCal240? I think Timmy is completely full of it. He's had too many problems and too bad of skill to back his claims.

2. The C230K "IS" a hatchback.

Last edited by ting; 10-28-2002 at 04:36 AM.
Old 10-28-2002, 08:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
C230 Sports Coupe
if thats your opinion thats cool with me.
Old 10-28-2002, 08:14 AM

2002 C230k
I could make a strong argument that my moms Yukon XL Denali is indeed a bus and not an SUV...
Eric
I'm right there with you on that one too!

:p
Old 10-28-2002, 08:20 AM
JeT

Originally posted by ting
Am I the only one that agrees with SoCal240? I think Timmy is completely full of it. He's had too many problems and too bad of skill to back his claims.

2. The C230K "IS" a hatchback.
I don't understand why you or anyone else even has to have such a strong opinion on the issue. Does it really matter if it is true or not...or are you so wound up about it that you can't sleep at night?

And yes, the Coupe is a hatchback.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Well, its over, the engine blew up!