C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Rock chips on my car :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IS300
Rock chips on my car :(

So on the highway i was driving and i heard a rock here and there. i was like wtf was that. But then like 5 minutes later, I finally caught up with the truck that was spilling rocks and gravel. It was not covered and it was pretty much raining sand and rocks onto my car :rage: I could not fly past the truck or anything to avoid it. Too much traffic and it was completely over the entire highway. I wrote down the name of the truck company and called them today. they told me to call my insurance which i did. My insurance told me to go to a local body shop to get an estamate.

They said they will..
sand and repaint
-hood
-fenders
-bumper
Replace
-headlights - I told them I had very bright headlights so maybe they will replace with bix
-fogs
-mesh grille
-chrome grille
-windshield

I was wondering if I should buy a reiger bumper and fender and tell the body shop to put that on instead. Idk if the shop would be okay with that. :dunno: The idea just hit me , but i wonder if it is cheaper than sanding and repainting OEM. :dunno:

Thanks for any advise

here's some pics of the damage Just little chips everywhere

not too bad from far away

windshield

Old 09-04-2007, 09:06 PM

2007 C350 6M
Man I wish I could damage someones property, then instruct them to call their own insurance company to repair the damage?

WTF?
Old 09-04-2007, 09:32 PM

2003 C240 Classic
Good luck. Would claims like this increase your insurance premium?
Old 09-04-2007, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by blown93lx
Man I wish I could damage someones property, then instruct them to call their own insurance company to repair the damage?

WTF?

Yeah really ... "Sorry Sir, we know we wrecked your car .... but its not our problem .... Call your own insurance company.... "

Gotta love that...
Old 09-04-2007, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

IS300

WTF?
Yeah I know. We have no-fault insurance in Michigan.
Originally Posted by onecoolloser
Good luck. Would claims like this increase your insurance premium?
They didn't say anything about it. I don't think they will increase or i'll be pissed
Originally Posted by techguy
Yeah really ... "Sorry Sir, we know we wrecked your car .... but its not our problem .... Call your own insurance company.... "

Gotta love that...
Haha yeah, gotta love no-fault insurance
Old 09-04-2007, 11:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a w203 cÖuper
Gotta hate the rock chips on a black car...
Old 09-05-2007, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C3Twon AWD Jumpofffff
damn my front bumper is a lot worst than that i might just get my front bumper painted sometime also... ya this past winter this truck killed my front end by salting and sanding the roads that F*cker did it on purpose too
Old 09-05-2007, 12:12 PM
KA8

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
get some clear bra when you get it painted
Old 09-05-2007, 01:36 PM

2007 C230 Sport manual
You should be aware that having a claim filed will be one factor that the insurance company uses when you go for your renewal on the policy, along with speeding tickets, accidents, etc. It might no impact your premiums, but you will not know until you renew your policy.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C3Twon AWD Jumpofffff
you should just add a new CF lip to the front end of your car and also a CF hood cuz its on sale and just have the car detailed and call it a day
Old 09-06-2007, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

IS300
Originally Posted by kompressorc230
Gotta hate the rock chips on a black car...

Originally Posted by BlackLiquorish8
damn my front bumper is a lot worst than that i might just get my front bumper painted sometime also... ya this past winter this truck killed my front end by salting and sanding the roads that F*cker did it on purpose too
ouch, yeah winter's are *****es on black cars. I don't take my car out in the snow, i use my Explorer. If you ever see a truck spilling rocks or gravel on the highway write the name of the company down and file a claim
Originally Posted by KA8
get some clear bra when you get it painted
I'm thinking about getting one, but damn they are expensive. I think about $500? I'll probably just blue tape my car everytime i take a trip from now on. Or just get a leather bra for highway trips only.
Originally Posted by BlackLiquorish8
you should just add a new CF lip to the front end of your car and also a CF hood cuz its on sale and just have the car detailed and call it a day
I already claimed it so they will sand it and repaint it. $100 out of my pocket, the insurance compnay will pay the rest $4100. I clarified with them and they assured me that my premium will not go up. We have no-fault insurance and it wasn't our fault so there's reason it should go up anyway. I think Michigan has differnt rules than other states

I'll get the CF lip once i start modding the car
Old 09-13-2007, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

IS300
But here is a update with pics. Very sad to see At least it will be nice and clean on the front after it is done. I didn't realize they would be painting all the way down by the taillights. They also took off the interior door panels?

Old 09-14-2007, 09:14 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 CLA Motorsport Edition, 2015 G550, 2012 GLK350
Well at least by the graffitti on the window it looks like they will be done next Friday. ( 9/21 ) That will be nice. Are you gonna have them do a couple of coats of clear on the front?
Old 09-14-2007, 01:36 PM
KA8

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by Shake

I'm thinking about getting one, but damn they are expensive. I think about $500? I'll probably just blue tape my car everytime i take a trip from now on. Or just get a leather bra for highway trips only.
Expensive if you get the precut ones. I got a roll of it and did it myself using basic tools... cost me $60 from ebay for two cars.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

IS300
Originally Posted by polarbexar
Well at least by the graffitti on the window it looks like they will be done next Friday. ( 9/21 ) That will be nice. Are you gonna have them do a couple of coats of clear on the front?
Should I ask them to or will they automatically put the clear coat?

Originally Posted by KA8
Expensive if you get the precut ones. I got a roll of it and did it myself using basic tools... cost me $60 from ebay for two cars.
I'll probably mess up and get bubbles all over. I'd rather have it done professionally as it will cover a large portion or the car.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:59 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
they took off the interior door panel to take the door handle and the mirror assembly off.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:29 AM

2007 C350 6M
I think you should take your estimate and sue the trucking company for the $4,000........ I am pretty sure I would. I'm sure the trucking company could buy "tarps" or some type of cover to stop debris from falling to the truck. Just because it says "Not responsible for damage coming from the road" doesn't necessarily mean the judge would agree.. I would at least sue for your deductible, which is all your entitled to.

Good luck
Old 09-16-2007, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

IS300
Originally Posted by FrankW
they took off the interior door panel to take the door handle and the mirror assembly off.
I went they day before to look at the car and they already had the mirrors off without taking the doorpanels off. They said that they needed to take it off so they can spray up to the edge.

I think you should take your estimate and sue the trucking company for the $4,000........ I am pretty sure I would. I'm sure the trucking company could buy "tarps" or some type of cover to stop debris from falling to the truck. Just because it says "Not responsible for damage coming from the road" doesn't necessarily mean the judge would agree.. I would at least sue for your deductible, which is all your entitled to.

Good luck

Thanks for the info. I was going to do that but they already gave me money for the deductable. I'm only paying $100 out of my pocket and that I can do. My primuems aren't going up either.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK350 '06
This once happened to me with my old Jetta -- rocks from construction company on the freeway hit and cracked the windshield... it actually split in two while I was driving! Their insurance company took care of it,no problem. I just had to identify the exact portion of highway, time and date.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

IS300
Originally Posted by California
This once happened to me with my old Jetta -- rocks from construction company on the freeway hit and cracked the windshield... it actually split in two while I was driving! Their insurance company took care of it,no problem. I just had to identify the exact portion of highway, time and date.
I had to identify the location and every thing too. Insurance was very easy to work with.

Another update today.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 C32 ///AMG
wow..its gonna be a brand new car!
Old 09-18-2007, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

IS300
Originally Posted by rlee02135
wow..its gonna be a brand new car!
Yup, hopefully they do a perfect job.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

IS300
I got the car back today. The front end looks pretty good but the doors where they didn't paint had some over spray. I pointed it out and they removed it somehow. Also, they didn't replace my fogs so I told them to call insurance and check and see if they were covered.
Now that I came home and the sun is brighter I see a lot more overspray. I am going to take it back tommorow and see if they can take it off somhow. Also, the inside of the door jams look pretty bad. They should have taped off the door jams or something but they didn't even try to blend in there. The grille that they got had grey bars in the middle so they painted it to match. It doesn't really look good from close up, but I think i'm being too picky. I still have the old parts so i can change it with the old grille anytime.
After all that, I took it to the tint shop. I asked for 5% rear windows and 15% up front but they don't have 5% :dunno: So I'm getting 15% all around on Thursday/Friday. I guess this will look more uniform. I hope I don't get tickets for the tint :ohnoes: They will do my front window strip lower (8") this time around
Old 09-24-2007, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 E550 4Matic
That sucks man. Go back and ***** about it. Make sure it is perfect.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

IS300
Originally Posted by C24owner
That sucks man. Go back and ***** about it. Make sure it is perfect.
Will do, I'm gonna make sure they get rid of the overspray stuff. I didn't realize how bad it was till I came home. I'm glad I have a lifetime warranty on this paint.