C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

bi-xenons question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2002, 11:22 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bi-xenons question

I've just installed the bi-xenons on my car. Not hard at all. A question though. Switching between hi/low beams, I hear this laud clacking sound from the passenger side lamps. I think it might be some sort of relay. Is this typical of the bi-xenons?
Old 10-28-2002, 12:47 AM

01 C200 Kompressor, 02 C32 AMG
My Bi-xenons also made a click sound every time I turn on the high beam, I guess this is normal. But not that really loud tho, I can hear mine from both lamps.

Btw…you’re not from Australia are you?
Old 10-28-2002, 01:04 AM
Almost a Member!

austin, tx

hook'em horns!
Old 10-28-2002, 05:01 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
The Bi Xenon projector lenses have a steel plate between the reflector with Xenon bulb and projector lens. This steel plate partially blocks the light and shapes the light patter (due to the shape of the topside of the steel plate).
Because these Bi Xenon lights also uses the same Xenon bulb for high beam (in addition to the halogen high beam bulb that is still there), the steelplate gets flipped over as soon as high beam is activated (creating a clicking sound).

This is normal!

I have some pictures of the innerlife of the bi xenon lights, but mbworld doesn't link those (I think the URL is too long)...please copy/paste the links.

picture 1 : shows the (Xenon) reflector with covering steelplate of a W203 Bi Xenon headlight. The plate is in lowbeam position now covering half the reflector.

picture 2 : shows the same covering plate and reflector but with a yellow ballpoint flipping over the steel coverplate as it gets flipped over when the high beam is switched on.

the actual flipping of this steel coverplate generates the clicking noise.

greetingz,
Old 10-28-2002, 08:11 PM
Almost a Member!

factory installed vs...

in c32life.com, someone responded saying that his factory installed ones do not make a loud sound (as a matter of fact no sound) at all. Can anybody else confirm? Also, I get that clacking sound only from the passenger side. Shouldn't both be doing that?
Old 10-28-2002, 09:35 PM
rrf

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BiXenon do make a noise

Yes they do, there is a mechanical plate moving, so if you listen you will hear it.

How loud, etc is a matter of opinion.

If yours are different L and R then .......
Old 10-29-2002, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Toyota Tacoma & Lexus IS250
mine make just a slight clicking sound...not loud at all...but if they work don't worry about it.
Old 10-29-2002, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K
Where can i order the Bi xenons i head they go for $850 thanks
Old 10-29-2002, 10:55 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Originally posted by MBenzNL
The Bi Xenon projector lenses have a steel plate between the reflector with Xenon bulb and projector lens. This steel plate partially blocks the light and shapes the light patter (due to the shape of the topside of the steel plate).
Because these Bi Xenon lights also uses the same Xenon bulb for high beam (in addition to the halogen high beam bulb that is still there), the steelplate gets flipped over as soon as high beam is activated (creating a clicking sound).

This is normal!

I have some pictures of the innerlife of the bi xenon lights, but mbworld doesn't link those (I think the URL is too long)...please copy/paste the links.

picture 1 : shows the (Xenon) reflector with covering steelplate of a W203 Bi Xenon headlight. The plate is in lowbeam position now covering half the reflector.

picture 2 : shows the same covering plate and reflector but with a yellow ballpoint flipping over the steel coverplate as it gets flipped over when the high beam is switched on.

greetingz,
when are u getting the ones for the coupe? and how much will they be?
Old 10-30-2002, 02:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230K
Very informative pictures. Thanks!

Originally posted by MBenzNL

This is normal!

greetingz,