C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

WHy is the Manny considered BETTER than the Touch Shift ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2002, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32 AMG
The system is basically the same as the regular 6-speed manual, but everything that the driver can touch is essentially electronic.
Old 10-30-2002, 11:21 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 White C230 Kompressor Coupe(Black Interior)
Wink hmmmm

everyone's got their good answers.. I juss like my touchshift personally. hehe
Old 11-12-2002, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Originally posted by Lynn
Anyone have a link to an article about the SMG II? I don't see how it can be cheaper and have fewer moving parts than the manny, if it is anything like Sequentronic.
The SMG is essentially the standard manual but with computer controlled hydraulically actuated clutch and gear changes.

Found this yesterday:

SMG article

Enjoy, BT
Old 11-12-2002, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
Originally posted by trench
The SMG is essentially the standard manual but with computer controlled hydraulically actuated clutch and gear changes.

Found this yesterday:

SMG article

Enjoy, BT
In other words, SMG is for sissies.
Old 11-12-2002, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks, trench. It is very similar to Sequentronic, but more developed. By all accounts SMG II is much better than Sequentronic.
Old 11-12-2002, 07:39 PM

05 CLK 500 cab
An editorial on Autoweek TV recently summarised the situation quite neatly: the manual transmission is more emotionally engaging. There is something very satisfying about running up and down smoothly through the gears. It provides an ongoing sensation of mastery and accomplishment, while offering a level of control not possible with Touch Shift. But a manual transmission requires more focus and is obviously less convenient than Touch Shift, and I would guess that comfort and convenience are guiding considerations for many MB drivers.

An additional and very practical consideration for some is that it's difficult to steer, change gears manually, and talk on a non-MB cell phone at the same time.

I've noticed with interest that automotive journalists tend to prefer the old-fashioned manual over the clutchless, paddle-shifted alternatives where both are available. Maybe they're just trying to avoid their editors' latest calls
Old 11-12-2002, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
there are rumors that the bmw m-series will all go SMG.
Old 11-12-2002, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
Originally posted by lars
An editorial on Autoweek TV recently summarised the situation quite neatly: the manual transmission is more emotionally engaging. There is something very satisfying about running up and down smoothly through the gears. It provides an ongoing sensation of mastery and accomplishment, while offering a level of control not possible with Touch Shift. But a manual transmission requires more focus and is obviously less convenient than Touch Shift, and I would guess that comfort and convenience are guiding considerations for many MB drivers.

An additional and very practical consideration for some is that it's difficult to steer, change gears manually, and talk on a non-MB cell phone at the same time.

I've noticed with interest that automotive journalists tend to prefer the old-fashioned manual over the clutchless, paddle-shifted alternatives where both are available. Maybe they're just trying to avoid their editors' latest calls
I absolutely agree. If you're ever driven a sports car with manual transmission, you will know the feeling and the love of feeling every gear engaging, being able to affect and feel every aspect of gear shifting.

SMGs are more for wanna-be enthusiasts. No real manual driver would respect you if you drove around in that.