C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Engine stalled on Interstate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 11:12 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 c230 sport coupe six spd. C7
Thumbs up

The car has about 36,000 miles on it now and the stalling problem has never reocurred after the fuel pump was replaced at 15K miles. Really, very few problems with the car since that time. At about 25K miles the front stabilizer bushings were replaced under warranty. Other than that, a solid quiet comfortable car to drive that handles very well.

2002 C230 six speed C7 Panoramic roof Bose 36K miles Paprika
Old 07-22-2004, 11:22 PM
Guest0001

Originally Posted by pookie
i just had this problem. car shuts off. all i can hear is three hot girls yell in my ear 'ahhhh, we are going to die' as the car shuts off at 90 mph. omg, last time i buy a benz.
So what happened roadside picked you up? is it at the dealer now? Sucks bro.

BTW welcome to 2 yrs ago.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:33 PM

2013 c300 4matic, 2002 c240
yeah. roadside pick us up. flatbed came and everything. since i was far away from the ORIGINAL dealer i bought the car from they didn't give me a loaner. being all mad, i got into my car and just started to repeatedly turn the key in the ignition. the car turned on. i drove back home with no incidence. tomorrow morning, i'm going to tell the dealer to replace the fuel pump and not go poking somewhere else. yay for cookies and a loaner (ahem: buell).
Old 07-22-2004, 11:45 PM
Guest0001

Originally Posted by pookie
yeah. roadside pick us up. flatbed came and everything. since i was far away from the ORIGINAL dealer i bought the car from they didn't give me a loaner. being all mad, i got into my car and just started to repeatedly turn the key in the ignition. the car turned on. i drove back home with no incidence. tomorrow morning, i'm going to tell the dealer to replace the fuel pump and not go poking somewhere else. yay for cookies and a loaner (ahem: buell).
Man if my car breaks down, expecially on the freeway, especially with girls in my car...... . Ill personally trade the car in the next morning.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:42 AM

the tow truck took forever to come. i had someone pick up the girls, to i was left alone to take care of the problem. if anything, i would have left the car on the dealerships lot and pickup a ride from some people nearby and maybe down the road tow the car back to a dealer that would give me a loaner.

i must be given a loaner or else the dealer will NOT be allowed to service my car. i'm not going to let them get paid while i walk (i do have a job...very flexible on time luckily). i must be given a loaner. but since the car worked, i drove it (very slowly around 55 mph). if the car failed again on the road, i would tow it to home dealer with both MBUSA and insurance taking the bill. the first time i towed it i didn't realize the dealer would be an **** hole and not give me a car in such a situation.
Old 07-23-2004, 08:59 AM

05 CLK 320
Had the same problem of the car stalling 01 C240 on the highway. So I am taking a rural road from Saltlake city to Phoenix AZ. I was going at 75 and all of a sudden the engine died. All the lights blincked couple times and it was dead. I had time to pull over to the side of the road. The car finally restarted and did not have a problem after that. So I got scared and took an interstate route to phoenix via Las-Vegas. The next day I made a 1200 non stop drive from Phoenix to Austin. Just stopped for Gas and food. The car performed well no problems what so ever.

I also had random problems of car stalling in cold start. The worst part was that. It would stall in the middle of a T intersection. Only once I got an error saying battery/alternator problem. It seemed like the car was strugling for either fuel or something else. I wanted the dealer to replace the alternator, and battery but he replaced the fuel pump. The problem was never fixed. The funny thing was that it would stall in warm weather but never in freezing temperatures.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:47 AM

i'm actually getting the car started up with little problem when i crank the car several times. i think it pushed the pump little by little till a some gas gets through, turning the engine on. being on an incline facing forward with a full tank of gas helps as well. or it is just luck.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by cracker123
Had the same problem of the car stalling 01 C240 on the highway. So I am taking a rural road from Saltlake city to Phoenix AZ. I was going at 75 and all of a sudden the engine died. All the lights blincked couple times and it was dead. I had time to pull over to the side of the road. The car finally restarted and did not have a problem after that.

I also had random problems of car stalling in cold start. The worst part was that. It would stall in the middle of a T intersection. Only once I got an error saying battery/alternator problem. It seemed like the car was strugling for either fuel or something else. I wanted the dealer to replace the alternator, and battery but he replaced the fuel pump. The problem was never fixed. The funny thing was that it would stall in warm weather but never in freezing temperatures.
I had the EXACT same problems with my car stalling, and in cold starts, the gear box jerks like crazy
Old 07-23-2004, 04:08 PM

i was planning on keeping this car for up to 100-150k miles. will it actually last that long? i'm wondering if i should sell/trade it and buy a better car. i can't start having things fall off after my warranty is out.
Old 07-24-2004, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

it will last that long, just minor problems which the dealers can fix with minimal trouble.

Benz make durable vehicles
Old 07-24-2004, 04:31 PM
Guest0001

Originally Posted by Jon200
it will last that long, just minor problems which the dealers can fix with minimal trouble.

Benz make durable vehicles
yeah but whats the point if the car freakin STALLS?? So embarassing, i couldnt imagine!
Old 07-27-2004, 01:39 PM

well. dealer called said they think it is the key. i was like 'uuhhhh ok' so i'm taking my spare key in to make sure that is the problem. I THINK NOT. but whatever. btw, i got an audi as a loaner (A6). drives nice. leather could be nicer though (probably ugly since it is a loaner).