C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Engine stalled on Interstate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2002 | 11:22 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 c230 sport coupe six spd. C7
Engine stalled on Interstate

Well, after reading other posts for the past year regarding C230 engines stalling under power, I finally experienced the same thing on the interstate over the weekend. Traveling about 65 mph w/cruise engaged, braked moderately for a large truck loosing part of its gravel load, and the engine died! All other electrics worked OK. I did get the car over to the shoulder and stopped without incident. After about six attempts to restart (the engine did start and die several times during my attempts) the engine did restart and the car performed as intended.
No A/C on, outside temp around 50 F, clear day, with almost a full tank of fuel. As I mentioned, cruise control was engaged.
I've got a six speed transmission w/C7 and the car has approx. 15 K miles on it and the vehicle was manufactured in Oct 2001 in Germany.
Anybody had a similar experience? More importantly, was the problem resolved and if so, what was done? By the way, I did noify the NHTSA about the problem.
Old 10-29-2002 | 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Citron Green C230KMT
do you have a 2.3L or 1.8L. just curious?
Old 10-29-2002 | 01:42 AM

99' SLK 230 & 01' CLK 430
What ever you do, DO NOT try to attemp re-start the engine while the car is still moving because the steering wheel might "lock-up" and prevent you from steering the car.
Old 10-29-2002 | 02:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by linh
What ever you do, DO NOT try to attemp re-start the engine while the car is still moving because the steering wheel might "lock-up" and prevent you from steering the car.
Excellent point. The ignition switch must be turned of then back on to restart.
Old 10-29-2002 | 05:20 AM
JeT

Oh man, if my car ever broke down on the freeway (interstate to you yanks...I think) all the rednecks driving their Fords and Holdens would get such a kick out of that...they'd probably stop and have a good chuckle. Lucky you weren't in any sort of accident though.
Old 10-29-2002 | 09:05 AM

C230 K
Re: Engine stalled on Interstate

I had the same problem with the engine stalling. The first time I took the car to the dealer they could not find anything, no error codes. After the third time I reported the same problem and my car stalling about four times during a 20 miles commute with lots of traffic and a storm, they finally agreed to look at the problem. They changed the fuel pump, some gaskets, some sensors and the bleed off valve. This was done in three attempts. Of course they did not install the fuel pump right the first time and gas started to leak after I filled up the tank. No problem so far after 3000 miles. The “highly recommended” dealer that performed this operation is Millenium in NJ. THEY SUCK!

I still have an engine hesitation for the first 2-3 minutes when the engine is cold. It feels that the engine does not get enough gas. If I run the engine idle for the first 2 minutes everything is fine. I took the car back to the same dealership and they told me this it might be normal for cars with manual transmission. They have to test drive another manual car and get back to me in a couple of days. Did anybody experience the same problem?
Old 10-29-2002 | 04:24 PM

'14 GLK250 Diesel
Stalling

I believe others with this problem had it fixed with a software update to the engine / trans computer. Ask the dealer to check for TSBs on this topic. I'm pretty sure the solution is out there.
Old 10-29-2002 | 05:09 PM

1993 300E
My experience was similar to totita's. It took 3 visits until finally they ordered some fuel system parts (pumps maybe) or something from Germany that took a few weeks to arrive and then had to be patched in by cutting off existing connectors and putting the right ones on. Since then, no problems except a bit of a lean-running condition on cold starts. Prior to the fix, the engine shut off 3 separate times, but always restarted immediately by compression as I coasted along.
Old 10-29-2002 | 06:03 PM

Mayday thats sounds terrifying. By the way what is NHTSA?

JeT.....lol that is so true (i live in brisbane). I have yet to see a boken down Mercedes and dread to see the day. My etended family, all lexus supporters and drivers, would have a field day if our Mercedes broke down.

Do you follow Wheels car of the year? Mercedes is in with a great chance with the SL, E and CLK but they'll prb give it to the Ford Falcon, which would just be pure rubbish or maybe even Mazda 6.
Old 10-29-2002 | 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Mercedes Benz #
Mayday thats sounds terrifying. By the way what is NHTSA?

It is the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, which is part of the US Department of Transportation.
Old 10-30-2002 | 09:36 AM

C230 K
Originally posted by justme
My experience was similar to totita's. It took 3 visits until finally they ordered some fuel system parts (pumps maybe) or something from Germany that took a few weeks to arrive and then had to be patched in by cutting off existing connectors and putting the right ones on. Since then, no problems except a bit of a lean-running condition on cold starts. Prior to the fix, the engine shut off 3 separate times, but always restarted immediately by compression as I coasted along.
Do you still have the engine hesitation on cold starts? The dealer will provide tomorrow a similar car to drive to see if there are differebces on cold starts.
Old 10-30-2002 | 10:08 AM

1993 300E
Yes, I still have problems on cold starts, but they only last a minute or so and are very minor.
Old 10-30-2002 | 12:12 PM

C230 K
Originally posted by justme
Yes, I still have problems on cold starts, but they only last a minute or so and are very minor.
This is the problem I'm trying to fix tomorrow. I'll keep you posted. It's hard to duplicate on my car. Sometimes the hesitation is worst than other times.
Old 10-31-2002 | 12:14 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 c230 sport coupe six spd. C7
Update. The dealer replaced the fuel pump today. Diagnostics did not detect an error code in the computer. I'm not sure how the technician was able to diagnose a bad fuel pump. If the remedy does not resolve the problem I'll advise.
Old 10-31-2002 | 03:24 AM
JeT

Originally posted by mayday
Update. The dealer replaced the fuel pump today. Diagnostics did not detect an error code in the computer. I'm not sure how the technician was able to diagnose a bad fuel pump. If the remedy does not resolve the problem I'll advise.
He probably could diagnose it notwithstanding the computer diagnostics because he's probably dealt with a similar problem about a hundred times already!!
Old 11-01-2002 | 12:27 PM

C230
Trans Control Module

Had a very similar problem under similar conditions. No error code. Dealer diagnosed a short/fault in transmission control module. Replaced under warranty. No recurrence of that problem.
Old 11-02-2002 | 08:29 PM

C240
Highway stalling and other problems

I had the same problem with stalling at highway cruising speed a month after I got my C240 in July 2001. On I-10 between Phoenix and LA, the engine started sputtering and then died while on cruise at 75 MPH. I had the dealer check, but they found no problem. It hasn't happend since.

But, this is the worse performing, most unreliable car I've owned since my 1978 Plymouth Volare. Aside from that terrifying incidence of stalling, I've had the following problems:

AC that failed after one month. Fixed but now puts out noxious odor.

Car hesitates and wants to stall for 4-5 seconds when starting from stop.

Transmission often refuses to downshift in a reasonable amount of time. It is a terrifying experience to try to make a quick manuver in heavy traffic.

Rear window shade screen has failed.

Blinker system has failed.

Multiple misaligned body parts.

Automatic locks mysteriously unlock while driving.

Cruise control ocassionally disengages while driving.

Brakes grab severely to one side or the other.

The car only has 14K miles on it, but with the problems I've had you would think it has 140K. The dealer has been no help in correcting the problems. Just gives the car back with a note: "no problem found."

After hearing so many accolades about MB quality and first rate dealer service, I am thoroughly disgusted by my experience. This is my first and last Mercedes product. It's back to much more reliable American cars for me.
Old 11-03-2002 | 05:04 AM
JeT

Sounds like the lemon law has struck again!
Old 11-03-2002 | 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
Re: Highway stalling and other problems

Originally posted by BJinAZ
Multiple misaligned body parts. Multiple misaligned body parts. It's back to much more reliable American cars for me.
The multiple mis-aligned body parts must really have gotten to you - you mentioned it twice Seriously, why did you even take delivery? I would have refused a car that had such an obvious problem on delivery. We looked ours over with a fine-tooth comb before signing for it.

More reliable American cars? Surely you jest. Your testimonial evidence is at odds with the statistically significant reliability data. I suspect that if you're not a troll , you have a lemon and you should be able to get out of it with no problem. But be aware that getting into a US car, you will have a higher chance of problems than with a Japanese one or Mercedes/BMW.
Old 11-03-2002 | 10:03 PM

C240
No. I'm not a troll (which I find that reference somewhat offensive). I am simply someone what who had reached a financial state where I could afford to buy what I thought would be a nicer car. After chunking down over $37,000 cash I am extremely disappointed and disgusted at the piece of junk I have ended up with.

You can talk statistics all day long. I am talking experience: I have had far better experience with Ford and Chrysler products (except my 1978 Volare) than I have had with the C240. Not only have they been more reliable, but their drive-ability has far exceeded the Mercedes. At least in them I could be certain that when I put my foot on the accelerator something would happen. Not the case with the Mercedes. I press down and wonder if it will be 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or even 6 seconds before the transmission decides it will downshift to begin to move the car forward. Haven't been able to guess right thus far. Makes changing lanes in heavy traffic a pretty scary experience.

And I laugh at your comment that "if I have a lemon I can get out of it easily." Hah! Not in the state of Arizona. I'm stuck.

Old 11-04-2002 | 01:33 AM

C230 coupe 6sp
Mike T.
Check the latest Consumer reports and you will see that they do not recommend the C class anymore because of much worse than average reliability. I don't take Consumers reports as gospel, but it is a definate indication based on real statistics. My experience has been that they (MB) seem unable or unwilling to properly diagnose problems. They are always polite, but as with my transmission problem, not helpful unless it is towed in with parts falling off. In other words, if it cannot be duplicated in a short test drive, they mark it "unable to duplicate". My cars grinds going into 2nd gear when it is cold, and it has since I got it. MB says they have never been able to duplicate the problem. I sympathize with BJinAZ because I understand how frustrating it is to have spent a lot of money (for me, at least) and not be able to enjoy the car.
Old 11-04-2002 | 07:33 AM

Ford Pinto
Originally posted by JeT
Oh man, if my car ever broke down on the freeway (interstate to you yanks...I think) all the rednecks driving their Fords and Holdens would get such a kick out of that...they'd probably stop and have a good chuckle. Lucky you weren't in any sort of accident though.
And why don't you have one of those Holden luxury sport sedans sporting the LS1 V8??? If I was down under I would have one.

Eric
2002 C240
1999 LS1 Z28 heads/cam/etc. 400 rwhp/400 rwtq Nah, I'm not bias for the LS1 or anything. hahaha :p
Old 11-04-2002 | 07:39 AM

Ford Pinto
Re: Re: Highway stalling and other problems

Originally posted by Mike T.
More reliable American cars? Surely you jest. Your testimonial evidence is at odds with the statistically significant reliability data. I suspect that if you're not a troll , you have a lemon and you should be able to get out of it with no problem. But be aware that getting into a US car, you will have a higher chance of problems than with a Japanese one or Mercedes/BMW.
Well, I agree with Mike T.

My wifes car has something wrong with it every other week.

I would go into details but screw it, do a search and you can read my rants.

You can add to those LONG rants, another failed driver window motor (stuck with window DOWN again!).

Trunk stopped working and remained closed for a week (would not open with spare key either) until MB finally got it open and replaced.

Cracked door panel.

and our up coming visit for the noise undedr the center console that ticks so loud we can't talk.

My 1999 Z28 which is a weekend toy (drag only car) has only had ONE problem, AC condensor went out. I go drag racing every week and never have a problem and my wifes car is constantly in the shop. We are going E class next time. This C-Class was a MISTAKE.
Old 11-04-2002 | 08:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Toyota Tacoma & Lexus IS250
Re: Highway stalling and other problems

Originally posted by BJinAZ
I had the same problem with stalling at highway cruising speed a month after I got my C240 in July 2001. On I-10 between Phoenix and LA, the engine started sputtering and then died while on cruise at 75 MPH. I had the dealer check, but they found no problem. It hasn't happend since.

But, this is the worse performing, most unreliable car I've owned since my 1978 Plymouth Volare. Aside from that terrifying incidence of stalling, I've had the following problems:

AC that failed after one month. Fixed but now puts out noxious odor.

Car hesitates and wants to stall for 4-5 seconds when starting from stop.

Transmission often refuses to downshift in a reasonable amount of time. It is a terrifying experience to try to make a quick manuver in heavy traffic.

Rear window shade screen has failed.

Blinker system has failed.

Automatic locks mysteriously unlock while driving.

Cruise control ocassionally disengages while driving.

Brakes grab severely to one side or the other.

The car only has 14K miles on it, but with the problems I've had you would think it has 140K. The dealer has been no help in correcting the problems. Just gives the car back with a note: "no problem found."

After hearing so many accolades about MB quality and first rate dealer service, I am thoroughly disgusted by my experience. This is my first and last Mercedes product. It's back to much more reliable American cars for me.
My first and last Mercedes as well - but I'm going with LEXUS next those things are freakin BULLETPROOF. I'm trying to hang in there and keep the car until right before the warranty expires.
Old 07-22-2004 | 10:52 PM

2013 c300 4matic, 2002 c240
i just had this problem. car shuts off. all i can hear is three hot girls yell in my ear 'ahhhh, we are going to die' as the car shuts off at 90 mph. omg, last time i buy a benz.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine stalled on Interstate