C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Engine Stalling FYI

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2002, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Engine Stalling FYI

I have been reading about vehicles stalling with infrared (other than this forum), some problems are associated with the engine some are associated with the key fob. Another problem I have read up about is owners have keys attached to the infrared key fob. Their has been a problem with owners of infrared keys having to many keys causing undo stress upon the infrared key while in the ignition. One customer had several keys on their key ring and it caused the infrared to loose contact with the vehicle while they were driving. Once the dealership had them remove the keys and the owner used the infrared by it's self and the problem was solved. While working at my Mercedes Benz dealer I have customers with the same problems in which we came to the same conclusion. I can see the logic behind this scenario, the only thing that is keeping the infrared key fob is two little plastic holders and with enough weight on the fob it could cause a stall. I have only a Mercedes medallion on mine, it takes the risk out of the vehicle being stalled and it also keeps the vehicle dash from being scratched.

Here is a history lesson;
Years ago people carried a house key and a car key seperatly. Back in the 1940's 1950's 1960's the automobiles ignition locks were in the dash and to many keys would scratch the painted steel dash making it look ugly, so many people had key holders to protect the dash from damage. Mercedes has had its ignition locks in the dash for several decades.
Old 11-02-2002, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K
Re: Engine Stalling FYI

Originally posted by Lockbuster
I have been reading about vehicles stalling with infrared (other than this forum), some problems are associated with the engine some are associated with the key fob. Another problem I have read up about is owners have keys attached to the infrared key fob. Their has been a problem with owners of infrared keys having to many keys causing undo stress upon the infrared key while in the ignition. One customer had several keys on their key ring and it caused the infrared to loose contact with the vehicle while they were driving. Once the dealership had them remove the keys and the owner used the infrared by it's self and the problem was solved. While working at my Mercedes Benz dealer I have customers with the same problems in which we came to the same conclusion. I can see the logic behind this scenario, the only thing that is keeping the infrared key fob is two little plastic holders and with enough weight on the fob it could cause a stall. I have only a Mercedes medallion on mine, it takes the risk out of the vehicle being stalled and it also keeps the vehicle dash from being scratched.

Years ago people carried a house key and a car key seperatly. Back in the 1940's 1950's 1960's the automobiles ignition locks were in the dash and to many keys would scratch the painted steel dash making it look ugly, so many people had key holders to protect the dash from damage. Mercedes has had its ignition locks in the dash for several decades.
So your suggestion is basically, dont have to much keys and stuff on your merceds key.So that alot of weight pulls down on it, and that way it would loose contact with the infared?
Old 11-02-2002, 10:20 AM

Thumbs up

Basically yes, however some people (on this forum) like to know the reason and not just a soultion.
Old 11-02-2002, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K
Basically yes, however some people (on this forum) like to know the reason and not just a soultion.
Like the janitor Keys:p
Old 11-02-2002, 10:38 AM

I have just worked on a newer Corvette yesterday and the guy is a janitor who works out of his Corvette, picture a Corvette with a tow hitch and janitor supplies. I got sick to my stomach. Defiantly a POS. Only in Oklahoma would you see that horrible picture.
Old 11-02-2002, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K
I have just worked on a newer Corvette yesterday and the guy is a janitor who works out of his Corvette, picture a Corvette with a tow hitch and janitor supplies. I got sick to my stomach. Defiantly a POS. Only in Oklahoma would you see that horrible picture.
:p :p :p
Old 11-02-2002, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Re: Engine Stalling FYI

I only have my infrared key, a backup house key, and my work desk key on the ring. Never any problems. Your logic is pretty sound. I love it. I kept it clean because I didn't want to scratch up my transmitter and marr the dash and ignition surround.

I don't like the super rings of keys....the whole blob is too big to put in your pocket without looking like an idiot anyway. Why do you have to carry 15 keys for stuff at home with you in the car anyway?
Old 11-02-2002, 11:57 AM

2002 C230 Coupe Black/Charcoal C5 C7 Auto
So he's an independent contractor who enjoys a Corvette (late model meaning C5?) Whats the problem? Just because he's a janitor he cant have a nice car? either its his only car so he has to attach work related stuff or he enjoys driving a Corvette while he's going from one site to another and might as well make it fun. Also what the hell does "defiantly a POS"....do you mean "definitely"? I think janitorial work is honest work and heck if he can afford it let him drive a C5 (its about $10k+ more then my car or yours)
Old 11-02-2002, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K
Originally posted by tberry
So he's an independent contractor who enjoys a Corvette (late model meaning C5?) Whats the problem? Just because he's a janitor he cant have a nice car? either its his only car so he has to attach work related stuff or he enjoys driving a Corvette while he's going from one site to another and might as well make it fun. Also what the hell does "defiantly a POS"....do you mean "definitely"? I think janitorial work is honest work and heck if he can afford it let him drive a C5 (its about $10k+ more then my car or yours)
I think you understood wrong? the keyword here is I think.

I think he meant that Using a corvette to run janitor services is dumb. And that The corvette is a POS not the job. Please re Read:p :p
Old 11-02-2002, 12:21 PM

Originally posted by tberry

This Corvette was not worth more than five thousand tops!! It was road hard and put away wet! You do not put a tow hitch on a Corvette unless you want to look stupid. If you can afford a Corvette you should be able to buy another vehicle to tow with. My 2002 Chevrolet van one ton is rigged for towing and set up for my locksmith business so I can enjoy my Benz without using it for transporting crap in it and tearing it up.

Maybe you are a janitor and you use your Benz for transporting supplies in
Old 11-02-2002, 12:30 PM

2002 C230 Coupe Black/Charcoal C5 C7 Auto
Yep i'm the DEFIANT janitor alright
Old 11-02-2002, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K
You never know:p :p :p
Old 11-02-2002, 04:20 PM
taylor192

This Corvette was not worth more than five thousand tops!! It was road hard and put away wet! You do not put a tow hitch on a Corvette unless you want to look stupid. If you can afford a Corvette you should be able to buy another vehicle to tow with. My 2002 Chevrolet van one ton is rigged for towing and set up for my locksmith business so I can enjoy my Benz without using it for transporting crap in it and tearing it up.

I've seen tow hitches on a Supra, Celica, and Paseo... but I would consider putting a tow hitch (preferrrably one of the less noticable ones that can be detached) on my C230K if I had a jet-ski or skidoo to pull on a small trailer.
Old 11-03-2002, 04:58 PM

2003 C230K, 6 spd, Brilliant Silver, C-5, C-7, CD changer
What's a janitor from Oklahoma doing in San Diego?
Oh...that's why he needs the vette...one helluva commute :p
Old 11-03-2002, 07:18 PM

Originally posted by DCXdynodog
What's a janitor from Oklahoma doing in San Diego?
Oh...that's why he needs the vette...one helluva commute :p

Ok, I am in Oklahoma working as a locksmith, however in a few days I am going back home to San Diego, California. I worked in Tulsa Oklahoma on a Janitors Corvette. Lets get back to the threads origins.
Old 11-03-2002, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K
Lets get back to the threads origins.
Seriously, Lockbuster was just trying to give us some info. Then some one tried to turn it into a flame

Not cool when someones trying to be helpful

Just ignore the retards lockbuster:p :p
Old 11-03-2002, 08:24 PM

2003 C230K, 6 spd, Brilliant Silver, C-5, C-7, CD changer
Originally posted by Mercedes
Seriously, Lockbuster was just trying to give us some info. Then some one tried to turn it into a flame

Not cool when someones trying to be helpful

Just ignore the retards lockbuster:p :p
I appreciate info as much as the next guy, never said otherwise...so thanks! But now...

scroll back and you will find this...

Notice he did this to himself...pickin' on that poor janitor...Doh!

Gotta have a sense of humor dude.