C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

2003 C230 Coupe Dash Removal Help - FM Mod for Sirius

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C230 K Coupe
Question 2003 C230 Coupe Dash Removal Help - FM Mod for Sirius

Hi. . . New here and hoping for some help with getting into my dash, and center console. I am doing a Sirius Radio mount, and install. Any help and tips would be appreciated.

My Plan:
For Simplicity. . . . I am planning to pull power from my cigarette lighter.

I was going to use a fuse tap from the box, but the lighter is closer and its a 20A circut (Sirius draws 1.2A I think). Plus a cigarette lighter, I think, would have the least amount of security/MB hurdles to overcome. As opposed to an ignition lead or something. Of course, i'll inline fuse my lead on the way to the Sirius.

The Mount I have will attach from behind the dash molding to the deck chassis itself, and only protrudes 1.1" to the right of the deck.

After doing some research about harnesses etc, I have decided to go with an FM Modulator. I have the adapters both for the deck and the antenna already. I think doing an FM Mod is going to be much simpler than say, trying to solder into the Tape input from the board itself. (I am not an audio junkie for this project, my main motivation is to eliminate wires, and some improvement from normal FM sound.) I am looking for some clearer instructions on removing my dash, and I have yet to see any help for the console (where the cig lighter is).

I was chatting with the service department at my dealer about another vehicle, and he mentioned that the audio processing for my C230 happens in the trunk rather than my dashboard. Does that mean the antenna lead is there too? Is there even a deck in my dash or simply an electronic control device? The antenna harness I have looks like a normal harness to attach to the back of a deck. . . . ??

Finally. . . . I am concerned about the security features I may run into. I read that when power/cables are disconnected from the deck (similar to when your battery is un-hooked) security codes etc need to be entered?

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated. I am hoping my concerns are simple naivety. Thanks Again.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:24 PM

c230 coupe
how to remove thw dash

well i dont know exactly what ur trying to doo there but i know how to remove the dash properly you have to unscrew the 2 screws behind the ac vents lift the ac vents all the way up use a flash light to help u better see the screws the bottom is clipped in.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 E550 4Matic
Why dont you try searching. Or take a look at the "AFTERMARKET & OEM MODIFICATIONS / DIY - FAQ's" at the top of the page

Here, I'll do your home work. LINK
Old 10-23-2007, 01:17 AM

2003 C230 K Coupe
Smile Thanks

Thanks for doing my homework. I was never much on that kind of thing. I usually had someone else (you) do it for me.

FYI- I have spent quite a bit of time looking around this site, and others, looking for some information and help. Other than noticing how rude, critical, and pompous everyone is to each other, I seem to have missed what I am looking for. Perhaps that is why I have posted?

Maybe its this site. . . . after 1600 postings, could it turn people unkind and bitter?

I appreciate the link. Cheers.